Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 17:00   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

That's a nice aro And great tank as well. I really wish i could bring my aro into the flat but the space is just not there.

Have you looked at Bichirs or Clown loaches? Love bichirs because they look cool and clown loaches are the best clean up crew.

I still rue the day i had to sell off my one foot bichirs before i moved.
Old 24th February 2016, 18:44   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

After many unsuccessful attempts to grow moss on a piece of driftwood, I finally succeeded this time. Or rather I have to say that my entire planted setup has caught up very well compared to the last few attempts. Now I have plants popping out of the soil here and there.

Sorry for the poor picture, I shall remove the algae and upload a full picture of the tank.

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_2471.jpg
Old 14th March 2016, 17:37   #303
Senior - BHPian

So changed tank and stand and here is the new setup

50"L x 20"W x 21"H. 12mm Glass. No bracing. Photo taken after filling water. Was a bit hazy. All cleared up now.

Custom made stand. GI.

Current stock:
3 Indo Dats
6 Clown Loaches
1 Red Severum
3 Yo Yo Loaches
1 Raphael Catfish
1 Blue Phantom Pleco
1 Angel Pleco

Filtration:
SunSun HW303B [1400LPH with 9W UV] and Hydor 450 Professional.

Lighting:
RS Electrical's LEDs
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-12.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-11.jpg  

Old 26th March 2016, 06:39   #304
BHPian

A quick video on my Two Aquarium Tanks.

And peek inside my Arowana Tank:

Last edited by narayanang76 : 26th March 2016 at 06:46.
Old 26th March 2016, 11:12   #305
Senior - BHPian

nice

that first tank is going to get filled up real soon.

and the arowana tank why are the wavemakers placed like that?
Old 26th March 2016, 12:51   #306
BHPian

First tank has 7 tinfoil barbs and 1 silver shark and 2 tiger sharks. 1 year in the 4 ft tank. 3 of tinfoil barbs has shown signs of maturity and has become big. Currently both tank and its occupants seems settled and I don't intend to disturb the setting, either by adding, removing or moving them around, one thing I learnt and observed so far.

Wave makers are there in both my tanks, using to move the debris at bottom to the other end where my filter suck them in and helps keeping water more cleaner. Just switches it on once a day for 10 minutes and it really helps, and a hands free operation. No need to put hands inside to clean tank daily. During periodic water change time do some scrubbing and cleaning the glass and some partial water change. I always love to see a spic and span Aquarium tank every time.

Last edited by narayanang76 : 26th March 2016 at 12:54.
Old 26th March 2016, 16:57   #307
Senior - BHPian

What i don't understand is how you can be so right with one tank [aro] and so wrong with another?

So many fishes which grow to 1ft plus in a four feet tank? That is just being cruel. Those tinfoils would do better in the aro tank and the ir sharks which i presume they are have no place in a regular aquarium setup.
Old 27th March 2016, 09:07   #308
BHPian

It's not as bad as you are imagining. The 3 larger barbs are around 6-7 inches and others are 3-4 inches now. Not crowded currently. I try to give them the best environment , water quality and food (feed them dry shrimp, dry blood worms, prawns) that I can provide.

When they grow and become large for their current tank, I have option to move them to the 6 ft tank anyway.

With me no fish will struggle and that is a decision I made while getting serious about this hobby. No doubts on that one.
Old 28th March 2016, 19:20   #309
Senior - BHPian

that is good to know!

i'm at wits end trying to get my indonesian datnoids to become stable. losing patience.
Old 29th March 2016, 16:37   #310
BHPian

I just purchased a small open tank (around 16 ln x 8 wd x 12 ht inches). I am not very experienced in fish keeping though I had a larger tank a few years ago.

I went for a small tank because of space constraints. The aquarium guy came and installed it. But, he didn't get any filter component which kind of surprised me. He was saying that for such a small tank filter is not required ... you can just replace 70% water once a week or so.

Question to all the experts here ...

1. Do I really need filter in such a small tank?
2. If so, what kind of filter should I go for?

The tank is having a few neon tetra fishes and nothing else. I plan to put a pair of mollies at a later time.
Old 31st March 2016, 11:28   #311
Senior - BHPian

Having biological filtration is key to a healthy tank. It helps keep the water parameters stable. Water changes are a necessity of course.

Can you put up a pic of the tank?

You can look at good hang on filters or small canister filters
Old 31st March 2016, 12:09   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I just purchased a small open tank (around 16 ln x 8 wd x 12 ht inches). I am not very experienced in fish keeping though I had a larger tank a few years ago.

I went for a small tank because of space constraints. The aquarium guy came and installed it. But, he didn't get any filter component which kind of surprised me. He was saying that for such a small tank filter is not required ... you can just replace 70% water once a week or so.

Question to all the experts here ...

1. Do I really need filter in such a small tank?
2. If so, what kind of filter should I go for?

The tank is having a few neon tetra fishes and nothing else. I plan to put a pair of mollies at a later time.
I had a small tank for tetras only. Had put a pic of it in this thread before too.

You don't need a filter as long as you don't overcrowd the tank or over feed the fish.

Over feeding is the biggest issue.

Avoid mollies with tetra. Molies have a tendency to nip at their fins.
Old 31st March 2016, 15:08   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
You don't need a filter as long as you don't overcrowd the tank or over feed the fish.

Over feeding is the biggest issue.

Avoid mollies with tetra. Molies have a tendency to nip at their fins.
Thanks!!! To be safe I got the aquarium guy to fit in a small filter, but the suction of the filter is causing the tetras to swim against it. They seems to be more worked up due to the filter. So, for now, I have turned it off and kept it aside. So yes, the filter is not adding any value other than space.

What fishes can be safely kept with tetras, any suggestions?
Old 31st March 2016, 15:10   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Thanks!!! To be safe I got the aquarium guy to fit in a small filter, but the suction of the filter is causing the tetras to swim against it. They seems to be more worked up due to the filter. So, for now, I have turned it off and kept it aside. So yes, the filter is not adding any value other than space.

What fishes can be safely kept with tetras, any suggestions?
Keep a variety of tetras.

Also find a small bottom feeder (i have one yellow 'sucker' (not the catfish) type fish - keep forgetting the name). That scavenges fallen food and prevents rotting. Doesn't harm the tetras.
Old 1st April 2016, 12:09   #315
BHPian

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20160401_120516.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20160401_120438.jpg

Dear friends
One of my neon tetra has become quite fat. Doesn't swim around much. Stays low and around the plants and hide outs. The water is fine. All other fish doing fine. Water change is good. Feeding only tetra bytes and some peas. More reading got me a little worried whether it's constipated or carrying eggs. In either case please tell me what I do.

One side the belly is smooth the other side which is not pictured here is rigged and uneven as though some spherical stuff is trying to come out.

Last edited by groom : 1st April 2016 at 12:11. Reason: Add value

Most Viewed