Team-BHP - The Scale Model Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Scale Model Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/1639-scale-model-thread-718.html)

Wow A gr8 thread! Can you please tell me where can I find Die-Cast models in Mumbai? There was Model-Art in Inorbit but that shut down! :(

Hi Manish. Where do you think we can buy the paint from? I am currently at Kerala. We can buy these spray cans of paints from hobby shops (which I am not sure is even available in Kerala) or from conventional paint shops?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 (Post 2518623)
Hi Manish. Where do you think we can buy the paint from? I am currently at Kerala. We can buy these spray cans of paints from hobby shops (which I am not sure is even available in Kerala) or from conventional paint shops?

I saw your message. was on tour then and then forgot. any hobby supply shop keeps the paint cans, bosny make. I will give u a detailed reply to your message.

Wowie, this thread is making me drool !!
Manish - Awesome Tintin stuff - I still get lost in Tintin comics, and to have the very cars featured there would be fantastic.
Is that a Morris Minor Traveller you've just got ? Is it Minichamps ?

One of my HotWheels :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSelect (Post 2519389)
Wowie, this thread is making me drool !!
Manish - Awesome Tintin stuff - I still get lost in Tintin comics, and to have the very cars featured there would be fantastic.
Is that a Morris Minor Traveller you've just got ? Is it Minichamps ?

Yes Ravi bhau, the Tintin stuff is so damn cool, but it was around 2000 rs for the 1:43 scale.

And that British Racing Green car is a morris traveller 1:12 by Sunstar. Lot of things to play around. Putting pictures will not do justice. Should be seen (played) in person. You are welcome to home :D. Any way I will post some pictures of the morris.

Had been to ModelArt at the Forum, Bangalore. Was shocked to see something i was looking for a long time. Their indoor glass displays used to house quite a collection, now only two or three. Anyway i enter and see a black 1:18 1957 Chevy Corvette (Maisto Rs 1490/).Picked it up right away.
On another note they have got a Few Airfix DIY model Aircarft kits for those interested. I will upload a few pics in the next few days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manishalive (Post 2518534)
Amar,

It was nice to speak to you over phone, even at my customers place I was thinking about scale models and that's why my sms in reply to your post. And as I write this I have repaired the damage on Triumph, just waiting for the paint to dry. I will post pictures tomorrow. Will call you later.

By the way here is my pictures of my latest kit additions.

Attachment 614533

But by Looking at the size of the 1:24 Mini and the Lotus, I am confused I have been loking at 1:24 in diecast and kit form, but all are bigger. I will post the picture of size comparison.

Manish, thank you for calling, it was indeed a pleasure to talk to a like minded chap like you.

All your kits look very interesting, especially the 1964 / 65 Monte Carlo winning Mini. Historically this car is immensly important and to have it in one's collection is a must, especially if you concentrate on rally car models. Take care while pasting the decale. As there are water transfers, the job of applying them exactly over the model is messy and tedious. I have ruined a couple of model kits only because of this. But the best kit amongst the four is the Honda 750 one. It is the best.

Please add images of your new 1:18 additions as well as your Fulvia.

I am working on my "Pearls of the Orient" theme and shall start adding images shortly (if time permits).

Meanwhile, two extremely important cars (atleast for me) joined my collection...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar (Post 2521012)

Meanwhile, two extremely important cars (atleast for me) joined my collection...

Ok what stuff did you buy from Rakesh??

Well i took a few pictures the other day of this beauty. My next model hopefully would be a 1970 or 1978 Corvette.

Guys, thought of sharing this news from autoblog,

The model is on display at 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show.

Lamborghini Aventador 1:8 scale model costs 12 times the real thing.

Recent clicks of latest additions to my collection, I hope you guys will like these.

I would like to share my recent observation about Auto Art scale models:

Today when I started photography for my theme, "Pearls of the Orient", the first 1:18 scale model I selected was that of the Toyota Aristo luxury sedan. This model was purchased in early 2007 and is no longer produced by Auto Art (as per the latest print catalogue). When compare to one of my latest Auto Art 1:18 scale acquisition, the Aristo weighs substantially more than my latest Auto Art model. I then compared more Auto Art models. It was the same.

From this, it is clear that Auto Art has either degraded the quality of metal used or has compromised elsewhere. Or is Auto Art following Maruti's weight saving program of "One Rupee - One Gram"?

Coming back to "Pearls of the Orient", this theme will be about cars coming from the "land of the rising sun" - Japan.

Unlike the Europeans, many of whose cars were exclusive, limited production of just a few hundreds (e.g. Ferrari), expensive, etc, Japanese cars were fast, economical to run and maintain and above all, reliable.

That does not mean, because Japanese cars were mass produced, cheap to run and maintain, they did not make their mark on the world automotive scene, actually many did and many will continue to do.

My first entry for the "Pearls of the Orient" theme is Toyota Aristo, commonly known as the Lexus: a luxury car brand that Toyota created seperately so that people did not associate the Lexus with other affordable Toyota cars.

This particular model is a second generation one and had a production run from 1997 to 2005.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar (Post 2526190)

From this, it is clear that Auto Art has either degraded the quality of metal used or has compromised elsewhere. Or is Auto Art following Maruti's weight saving program of "One Rupee - One Gram"?

Amar,

That seems to be with most of the scale model manufacturers. In another news today purhcased another Willys Jeep MB 1:24 Kit.

Hasegawa 1/24 Jeep Willis MB

Got that from ebay.com. Will take some time to arrive.
I has got the gun and and the figurine. I am loving it.

After all the haphazard collection, I am now thinking of streamlining my collecion on themes.

Jeep 1:24 kits in different types is one among them. 1:18 Vespa is another. I will start specific threads on them as and when I acquire more models.

The Scale Model Thread-jeep.jpg

Manish, "focus" in such an expensive hobby is a must, otherwise you end up repenting on some of your purchases. Not that a great variety is available but sites like eBay have a large variety and reasonable prices.

There are many so called "collectors" who buy scale models (that too in bulk) just for the heck of it. I am of the opinion that any car / vehicle that has played a significant role in our 110+ year old automotive history (in any category-production wise, race, rally entrants / winners, pioneering / path-breaking / innovative technology, war hero, etc ), a detailed scale model of the same not only adds value to your collection, but is also historically important.

Scale model manufacturers will always bring scale models of recent cars. There is nothing wrong in buying them but as "Product Life Cycles" of cars have shrunk rapidly in the past decade, upgrades are always around the corner and the scale model quickly loses its uniqueness. Take an example of Mercedes Benz S320. Scale models of this car were produced by makers ranging from Maisto to Auto Art, Minichamps, etc. The model produced prior to 1998 had this famous "Tank like" feel and is now a collector's item (in 1:1 and 1:18 scale). The model that replaced this car in 1998-99 went through so many face-lifts and is not at all as unique as the "Tank". So buying a scale model of such a car that is regularly being face-lifted is of no use (unless one focuses on collecting ONLY Mercedes S class!)

As usual, your Jeep model kit is very good. Hope it is assembled quickly. Jeep models are unique and rare, not to forget they have played a major role in the 2nd world war.

You too can do the same.