Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 11:38   #4816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_bmw View Post
manishalive -you are great man-you turned this thread really for the hardcore scale model lovers.What we see in the Foreign diecast forum,like BMC,you bought it down here.I had worked for some 1:24 scale models,many years ago, from kits like these.There was no Super glue or Feviquick available.I used Adeldrite instead-it gave me a time to fix any error made,the bond was strong enough but can be opened by submerging to some solution (I forgot it)-the only negetive point against it is the time to allow for setting.
I love your enthuistic approach.

I have ordered and made payment for those three Hotwheels today,waiting to receive a big parcel!
Abhishek,

Tks for the lovely and enthusiastic comment. I have come to know of cyanos (used in Architectual Model making) similar to fewiquick, I will give it a try. The problem with fewiquick is that it dries super quickly.

Areldite my my, you must be having great amount of patience.

I plan to do complete photography for the build, just need some time.

And lastly kudos for the three hotwheels models, the Ferrari is real great. More photos once you get them. I also picked up this mercedes @ a Bargain price of 650 Bucks a year ago.

Here are the pictures

The Scale Model Thread-m1.jpg

Name:  m2.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  30.9 KB
Old 12th August 2009, 22:56   #4817
BHPian

Just continue with that enthew-you will not only have the best possible detailed 1:24 or 1:18 models in your collection,but it will increase your patience,level of satisfaction,craftman's skill.
Old 12th August 2009, 23:11   #4818
Senior - BHPian

@Manish - Hey that's an ambitious project you're starting on - do keep us posted. I too have some kits like yours, but haven't gotten around to starting on them, too scared I guess.
@F1fan - Nice Porsche, the wheels look fab !
Old 13th August 2009, 00:48   #4819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
@Manish - Hey that's an ambitious project you're starting on - do keep us posted. I too have some kits like yours, but haven't gotten around to starting on them, too scared I guess.
@F1fan - Nice Porsche, the wheels look fab !

Ravi Bhai,

Please post the pictures, reveal the make model. I would love to see them. I intend to start this weekend. will keep all posted.

All,

I have decided to use cyanos a local brand of glue, which at this point seems right for the job. the same is used by local aero kit assemblers.

For the paint I have the Com Paint spray and imported surfacer primer.

Now as per the instructions booklet i am looking for following paints

1. Steel

2. Aluminium

3. Wood

any info is most welcomed.
Old 13th August 2009, 01:01   #4820

As regards to paint. Bosny will cover any surface. But take care when you spray a car. Keep the car far away. I know it takes much much more paint than required, but the finish is better
Old 13th August 2009, 01:29   #4821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
But take care when you spray a car. Keep the car far away
Right Cyrus43,More distance=smaller mist like particles=good finishing

@manishalive see the Brianscalemodel's tutorials to add more details to your models.
Index*::*BMC
The Merc is nice.

This is the picture of a 1:16 display case I saw while browsing,the case is from Franklin Mint.The display case alone costs about 100$
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-d1x3135_1.jpg  

Last edited by abhishek_bmw : 13th August 2009 at 01:31.
Old 13th August 2009, 11:12   #4822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Here are the pictures for everyone to see. Intend to start the project soon.

1. The kit

Attachment 173046

2. The assembly Instructions

Attachment 173047

3. The Decal Placement

Attachment 173048

4. The Paint, Primer Surfacer and Clear

Attachment 173049

5. The Kit Parts

Attachment 173050

6. The Decals

Attachment 173051
Manish, thats a great job to do ahead! All the best & update us with your progress!

Quote:
Abhishek,

Tks for the lovely and enthusiastic comment. I have come to know of cyanos (used in Architectual Model making) similar to fewiquick, I will give it a try. The problem with fewiquick is that it dries super quickly.

Areldite my my, you must be having great amount of patience.

I plan to do complete photography for the build, just need some time.

And lastly kudos for the three hotwheels models, the Ferrari is real great. More photos once you get them. I also picked up this mercedes @ a Bargain price of 650 Bucks a year ago.

Here are the pictures

Attachment 173261

Attachment 173262
This a classic Merc which I wish to add to my fleet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_bmw View Post
Right Cyrus43,More distance=smaller mist like particles=good finishing

@manishalive see the Brianscalemodel's tutorials to add more details to your models.
Index*::*BMC
The Merc is nice.

This is the picture of a 1:16 display case I saw while browsing,the case is from Franklin Mint.The display case alone costs about 100$
This another one as above!
Old 13th August 2009, 13:12   #4823
BHPian

Congratulations on your kit, scale model building can be a very rewarding hobby & will keep you occupied for hours together on weekends. If you're taking this up seriously I would suggest getting a modeling magazine like 'Fine-Scale Modeler', you don't need a full-scale subscription but just a couple of issues so that you're made aware of scale-modeling intricacies. The assembling & painting instructions that come with the kit are too basic for us to get the models to look like they do on the box-art. A quick tip, modeling tools & paraphernalia is hard to find in India, but tools used by jewelers like aluminum files, tiny drill bits, & fine sanding sheets suit model-making admirably. You'll also need a very sharp & relatively strong craft knife, using razor blades to detach the parts from the sprue will result in small cuts in no time.

Quote:
I did not purchased the Glue (it was 18 dollars) with the kit. Now Can any one suggest which Indian Glue to use (will it be feviquick)???
Its always best to use tube-cement (usually comes with the kit) for gluing the majority of the parts, the plastic is soft & the tube-cement chemically melts the plastic to get parts to glue together. The most common mistake is using thicker glue lines than is necessary, but you should get the hang of it once you've completed a couple of models. To test cyano-acrylic glues use the sprue & use such glues for the very small & delicate parts only. Tube-cement works slowly & hence its easier to correct alignment after gluing, you don't have that luxury with fast-setting cyano-acrylic glue. Waiting for the parts to set after gluing could extend from a couple of hours to even 24-hours, use rubber-bands to hold things together during setting. By working on multiple models at the same time you can use your time better.

Quote:
For the paint I have the Com Paint spray and imported surfacer primer.
Test paint meant for other uses (like automotive spray-paint) on the sprues to ensure the paint doesn't react with the plastic. Try to use modeling paint as much as possible & best applications are with an airbrush. If you're planning to use spray-paint, test & refine your technique on cardboard scrap before actually painting your model. Paint is one of the most difficult things to get right & sometimes can end up wrecking hours of time spent painstakingly assembling a model.

Quote:
Now as per the instructions booklet i am looking for following paints
1. Steel
2. Aluminium
3. Wood
any info is most welcomed.
Model paint is difficult to get here in India, you could try hobby shops in your city for the right paint or you could try buying it online (lack of availability of model paint is one of the main reasons I lost interest in this engaging & rewarding hobby). Anyway, prior to painting, you might wish to immerse the plastic parts in a mild soap solution to wash off the mold release compound on the parts, this helps the paint to adhere better. It helps to get kits in twos so that you always have a complete set of spares & it also allows you to test paint schemes & decal placement.

Looking forward to seeing your kit being put together & remember, unlike die-cast models, plastic kits are extremely delicate, so if you have kids running around, beware !

Last edited by im_srini : 13th August 2009 at 13:19.
Old 13th August 2009, 14:04   #4824
BHPian

For them who want to experiment

I found this topic in a non Indian scale model forum long ago before I joined Team-BHP and this thread (I used to surf Team-BHP forum threads as guest then).Luckily,this website address was jotted down in a notebook,so,it was not lost,as my machine was changed,formatted during this period.

This is Jap Yamaha Motors website offering printable scale models of their various models,both in color and white.Though,they intended for making the models by papers,I tried to be a different-I pasted the printouts on thin alluminium sheets,cut them,glued them-almost 75% of the machine was made working for about half an hour everyday for more than three months.A child visited along with his parents one evening (I was not at home,the model was kept on my table openly).When I came,they were gone,I came to my room and saw the DEAD skeleton of the model -it was not in a condition to be repaired.
I will start to build a new one soon (too busy these days).
Please come and join to build a project for yourself!its really fun and free.
Here is the link Realistic Paper Crafts | YAMAHA MOTOR
Attached Images

Old 14th August 2009, 00:15   #4825
Senior - BHPian

That’s a bountiful of advice bro, seems you r a pro. My reply’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
The assembling & painting instructions that come with the kit are too basic for us to get the models to look like they do on the box-art.
Yes that is the case, trude buddy.

To test cyano-acrylic glues use the sprue & use such glues for the very small & delicate parts only.
I have tested it seems ok to naked eye.

use rubber-bands to hold things together during setting. By working on multiple models at the same time you can use your time better.
Rubber bands will again collapse the model due to tension.

Paint is one of the most difficult things to get right & sometimes can end up wrecking hours of time spent painstakingly assembling a model.
I do have a bit of prior experience painting 1:1 Cars (long back in my college years) & couple of model cars recently.

Anyway, prior to painting, you might wish to immerse the plastic parts in a mild soap solution to wash off the mold release compound on the parts, this helps the paint to adhere better.
Oh sure buddy how can I forget that and I have also made a paint booth comprising of Computer fan, hardware hooks and 21w bulbs, gives astonishing results.

It helps to get kits in twos so that you always have a complete set of spares & it also allows you to test paint schemes & decal placement.
I have one lets see if I can make it. For paints I will use fevicryl for interior parts not touched frequently, for exterior I have good option of Automotive spray paint, with primer to help further.

Looking forward to seeing your kit being put together & remember, unlike die-cast models, plastic kits are extremely delicate, so if you have kids running around, beware !
Thanks god that I don’t have kids running around.
Old 16th August 2009, 00:42   #4826

I bought this today. Very well Detailed Maisto MOdel. One of the older ones.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-warst_5_02.jpg  

Old 16th August 2009, 01:02   #4827
BHPian

WOW! Cyrus-got a nice car.
what is the scale and price?
Old 16th August 2009, 01:25   #4828

Well actually, the car in the Pic is a lil different. Also attached is a pic I took when I emptied my showcase yesterday. Some cars are not here, they are in pune at my other house.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-image00002.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-image00005.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-image00006.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-image00007.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-image00009.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-image00010.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-image00012.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-image00001.jpg  

Old 16th August 2009, 01:45   #4829
BHPian

Its gorgeous.Marvelous.
Nice springs detail-I love it.

Last edited by abhishek_bmw : 16th August 2009 at 01:57.
Old 16th August 2009, 08:49   #4830
BHPian

@ Cyrus,
Your collection is just fantastic !!
Detailing on that Mercedes is mind blowing, suspension detailing is great !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks