Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2004, 20:52   #1

hey guys
me and lambo and maybe some friends are going to restore some junky car
while we will keep u updated i was wondering if there were any books and biuilding an engine part by part and how everythging works and the theory behind it
i like cars but would like to know more
also is there any umm..
any books on modyfying car like how to onnect a turbo and all that
thanx
Old 17th November 2004, 22:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey skype.... all the best pal! Do keep us posted with pics n all.
Dunno about any books but know a few good sites. someone here recommended the auto section of www.howstuffworks.com
I also found the tech articles at www.overboost.com quite interesting.
Other than that, am sure the gurus here will not hold anything back when u ask em for something.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 17th November 2004, 22:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Contact Domnic. That'l do.

Shan2nu
Old 17th November 2004, 23:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

You could try SAE India, they have some really good books, and if you are a member you get a discount. Otherwise just call Dominic.

Almost forgot the u SAE India

Old 18th November 2004, 00:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

the haynes manual is also there.u get it for almost everycar.
Old 18th November 2004, 00:08   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

thanx guys
i will keep you updated but wont be oing it before next year so we though we might as well learn the stuff first then plunge in
we were planning something smal and simple like an scrapped 800 ror padmini to bein with
were only 16 u know
anyway u will read about it here first and not in any auto mag (hopefully)
will post before and after pics
cheers
lambo
Old 18th November 2004, 01:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]were only 16 u know
The earlier you start the better pal, i always regret not getting a chance to get down and dirty early. Infact i'm still waiting for my turn.
Old 18th November 2004, 06:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hey Skype & Lambo,

The best way to learn is to just take apart an engine slowly and ask each other/other people/the internet questions.
You will learn a lot from just taking apart and then re-assembling an engine.

However be careful and always make sure you know what you are doing during the re-assembly!... do a lot of research as well..... and with a M800 engine im sure ANY mechanic could help you out with some pointers.

When it comes to the turbo and other mods...forget about that for now... first understand and completely understand the basic workings of the engine. Believe me that will be fascinating enough.

cheers
R
Old 18th November 2004, 07:36   #9
BHPian

Hey man what cars are u planning to restore any mods happenning if U need help with Fiats the TF guys are always there just PM us keep us posted with the latest
Old 18th November 2004, 15:08   #10
BHPian

21st century performance is one of the best books i've come accross.

i ordered one for myself from the net, and now almost all the racers and tuners i know have made copies for themselves!!!!!

i dont remember who wrote it though. sorry!

Old 18th November 2004, 17:11   #11
snoopy41

rearding some comprehensive books ,autocar india have many good HOW TO books available which can be supplied through their office at Lower parel,,just near big Bazaar,,or the magazine usually gives details as to how to order for people outside Mumbai

Old 19th November 2004, 12:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

HI,
Go to amazon.com pick up Maximum Boost by 'Corky Bell', one of the simplest to understand turbo books, how to install, test and run, everything is there.
And for engine building there are tons of books, just do a search you will get quite a few.

Cheers
Dom
Old 19th November 2004, 15:05   #13
BHPian

21ST CENTURY PERFORMANCE: By Julian Edgar.
21ST CENTURY PERFORMANCE IS THE FIRST HIGH PERFORMANCE BOOK THAT COVERS CURRENT AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGY - HOW IT ALL WORKS AND HOW TO MODIFY IT FOR BEST RESULTS.
Many of the modifications are of the practical, do-it-your selfer type, giving proven power gains without breaking the bank. There are numerous results of tests carried out on modified cars - dyno graphs, flow bench tests and on-road performance figures

CHAPTERS EXTENSIVELY COVERED IN 21ST CENTURY PERFORMANCE INCLUDE:

The drivetrain
Electronic engine management systems
Modifying engine management systems
Programmable management systems
Intake systems
Exhaust systems
Turbocharging and supercharging
Intercooling
Detonation control
Fuel delivery systems
Performance testing
Suspension and brakes
Aerodynamics

At last, a book on how to modify late-model cars!
21st CENTURY PERFORMANCE is the first high-performance book that covers current automotive technology - and how to modify it for best results.

There's a chapter on how the factory electronic engine-management and EFI systems work, and another on how to make changes to them. Did you know that some brilliant engine-management modifications can be done for almost zero cost? There's the latest in programmable management systems, including hard-to-find fitting and tuning information.

21st Century Performance sorts the fact from fiction on mufflers, catalytic converters and even complete exhausts. The difference in flow of press and mandrel bends, what back-pressure does for performance, which mufflers are noisy and which are restrictive - the best advice is here, supported by detailed test results.

There's a chapter on getting the most from the intake system, from simple but effective air box modifications, right through to designing a new tong-runner dual-length intake manifold. The performance of different air filters, the power gains from modifying intake ducts - it's all included.

How to modify the latest engines - including multi-valve and multi-cam designs - is discussed. Forced induction is covered in detail, with both turbos and superchargers extensively featured. There are also major chapters on intercooling and water injection systems. Boosting the power of a factory turbo car is discussed in step-by-step detail - even how to build two different turbo boost control systems!

And the best thing is that many of the modifications are of the practical, do-it-yourself type, giving proven power gains without breaking the bank. There are numerous results of tests carried out on modified cars - dyno graphs, flow bench tests ~1id on-road performance figures. In fact, there's also a whole chapter on how to test your own car so you can be sure you're always heading in the right performance direction.

If you want to go around corners as well as in a straight line, the upgrading of brakes, suspension, wheels and tires is covered in detail. And because 21st Century PERFORMANCE covers the latest technology, high-power turbo four- wheel-drive cars and active torque split control systems aren't left out. Uniquely, there's also a major chapter on making effective aerodynamic modifications.

And if you simply want to know how the latest in car technology works - from variable flow exhausts to computerised dyno testing, from all-alloy 32-valve V8s to twin sequential turbo engines - 21st Century PERFORMANCE will bring you right up to speed.

Published 2000. Hard bound, 0ver 350 pages, Over 500 full colour photographs, 150 diagrams. ISBN 094721690-1

$69.00 INC GST
Old 22nd November 2004, 04:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (BikerSG @ Nov. 19 2004,12:35)]21ST CENTURY PERFORMANCE: By Julian Edgar.
Hey biker,
I've been looking for that book for almost a year now.Tried various bookshops around.Any clue as to where can i buy it.I dunt want to order it online.
Any suggestions??

X
Old 22nd November 2004, 14:18   #15
BHPian

not in india!

why dont u want to buy it online?

using ur indian credit card is perfectly legal to buy books!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks