Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2006, 23:03   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
parents are responsible for their kids. they are supposed to teach their kids the differerence between right nd wrong. parents cant watch over their children their whole life but need to bring up their kids in a way that they dont need "watching over"
Khanak,
the fact is that parents do teach their children the difference between right and wrong. The fact is that children still end up doing the wrong things because tehy see other kids their age doing it or maybe because it looks 'cool' or to impress someone.
Old 22nd August 2006, 23:17   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Bro,
kids booze and smoke underage too. I am sure that their parents do not know about it and if they do, i am sure that their parents would not encourage it and would instead reprimand him.
I hate to point out the staggeringly obvious, but drinking or smoking doesn't kill the doodh-walla.
Old 22nd August 2006, 23:23   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Khanak,
the fact is that parents do teach their children the difference between right and wrong. The fact is that children still end up doing the wrong things because tehy see other kids their age doing it or maybe because it looks 'cool' or to impress someone.
Not all parents bring their kids up the "right" way. see my previous post about the guy from Pathways. his dad didnt do anything to him nd just changed the colour of the car so that he wont get hassled.

PS he left Pathways nd joint Ecole. You might know him
Old 23rd August 2006, 01:14   #94
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
This should give youll an idea of what some kids are like nowadays.

PS He was 16 at the time of the accident
And he's your friend?

don't disclose these things on public forums... he might just clear you off the earth.
Old 23rd August 2006, 01:18   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
And he's your friend?

don't disclose these things on public forums... he might just clear you off the earth.
chill dude. i didnt reveal his name now did i?

anyways hes not really a friend.....more of an acquaintance
Old 23rd August 2006, 09:56   #96
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Society getting increasingly aware and information-transparent

Well, we have lived in a country that happens to be innocent and backward for the moment. The current atmosphere of information-starvation shelters the moneyed guilty.

Invariance
Notwthstanding that, some things will remain invariant:
Man will always have to conform to the expectations of the community he lives in,
unless he aims to live and die in solitude in a mountain cave.

If he accidentally injures or kills another, he will have to convince an increasingly well-informed court, that he was completely in the clear, or face the consequences for manslaughter or murder, depending on what the law and society deem fit for him.

Criminals can hope and wish that modern forensics cannot flush them out, but for only so long. And their time in a dark-age India is running out.

We are progressing into an information-rich society.

Examples?
Don't we see 3G/EDGE tech mobiles with better cameras, more memory and longer recording? India already has improving digital cameras all over the place from hand held phones to ATMs.
We already have ubiquitous access to the Internet and burgeoning Web 2.0 communities like Team-BHP, straining at the leash to moderate the society we live in!

India is zooming into becoming the global leader in information technologies, in more ways than you can imagine!

Forensics
Don't we see enough of the power of forensics on Discovery Channel?

Specialized forensic investigators or criminalists (the modern word for them)
locating evidence that often cannot be seen by the naked eye.

Sometimes even using DNA in complex serious offences – solving murder with the building blocks of life.

A criminal may imagine that his crime had disappeared without a trace, but forensic detectives know, this is simply not true.
Every contact the criminal makes with a place, an object, or even another person, leaves behind a physical presence.
Fibres, stray hairs, old paint chips, parts of the criminal's car, even shards and crumbs of glass found at the garage where the car was repaired and repainted, tiremarks and even the dirt on his shoes can implicate him in a scientific criminal investigation.

In fact, almost everything found at the scene of a crime can be tested and used as evidence to prove or disprove a suspect’s presence.

For how long do we imagine India to remain deprived of this technology?
Not too long!

Outlook
Trust me, we may hear in an advanced year 2025, of a 30-year old, tried and sentenced to life for a crime committed back in 2006, when he was 19 and when daddy's dirty money had temporarily clouded up the offense.

Ram
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:20   #97
BANNED

I don't think so Ram. The system is very good at burying these things. They can't seem to solve the murder of a model who was shot in a restaurant in full public view of some of Delhi's most prominent socialites. Even after a whole national movement was started in her name.

I doubt Ramesh the milkman will fare any better. His best hope is Mr. Goel. Without him, the case stands no chance.
Old 23rd August 2006, 23:22   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally posted by ram

India is zooming into becoming the global leader in information technologies
A leader in IT that doesn't have a decent broadband internet connectivity for private home users?
Old 24th August 2006, 07:09   #99
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
A leader in IT that doesn't have a decent broadband internet connectivity for private home users?
Kidding or just not up to date on Indian information and mobility telecom tech?
Visit Nortel in Nepean, Ottawa and ask them about India!
Old 24th August 2006, 10:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav
India is the best example of putting the cart before the horse!! We have grown so rapidly that our basic systems are still not in place. We have fast cars but no roads that can take those speeds. We have a judicial and policing system which is flawed. We have people who are not educated about how to use something but are using them. I've seen trucks, cars, two wheelers and bullock carts being travelling the wrong direction on High-ways. City traffic conditions are pathetic.. no one understands how to drive and accidents whether small or big are bound to happen! We should all be lucky on a day to day basis to drive and get back home safe!
I totally agree with you... It reminds me of an instance a few years back.... My mom was coming back from Agra in the Taj express... She met an aged couple from some european country in the train (i think it was czech republic).. they had been visiting the Taj... During the conversation the foreign lady said something that made me ashamed of myself and my country (though it was not said in that manner, just her casual observation)...
She had said:
"I have seen countries with people driving on the left side of the road, and others where they drive on the right... But here in India you can drive in any way you want to.."
Old 24th August 2006, 22:44   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bro,
kids booze and smoke underage too. I am sure that their parents do not know about it and if they do, i am sure that their parents would not encourage it and would instead reprimand him.
Parents can't watch over their children their whole life.
Not whole life buddy, just 18 or 21 years or whatever is the legal age for drinking. If underage kids booze and their parents do not know about it, there is a problem with parents.
Old 24th August 2006, 23:43   #102
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Not whole life buddy, just 18 or 21 years or whatever is the legal age for drinking. If underage kids booze and their parents do not know about it, there is a problem with parents.
Legal age of drinking?.. 25kms... err.. years..
Old 24th August 2006, 23:49   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Not necessarily bro,
people smoke and cover it up with a chutki, they booze but within their limits and if they plan to go overboard, they go to someones place for the night.
Kids definitely don't let their parents know that they booze and smoke underage and there is no way a parent can find out with all the precautions kids take to cover up.
Old 25th August 2006, 00:22   #104
BHPian

Such events are tragic and unfortunate and each one of them unnecessary. They bring out the frustration in us, and unfortunately in such times our emotions cloud our rationality, and we end up placing the blame on intoxicating substances, rather than the people imbibing them irresponsibly.

Drunk driving is pathetic and criminal. But in victimizing alcohol as the root cause, we digress from the main problem, and that is of the negligence of the person driving under influence. In a broader sense the problem is of values and a lack of social responsibility among people to stop their friends from driving drunk.
Old 25th August 2006, 00:42   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not necessarily bro,
people smoke and cover it up with a chutki, they booze but within their limits and if they plan to go overboard, they go to someones place for the night.
Kids definitely don't let their parents know that they booze and smoke underage and there is no way a parent can find out with all the precautions kids take to cover up.
This is going way OT but I am enjoying healthy discussion

Its not about whether kids can hide it or not but are parents paying enough attention to kids? What they do in their spare time, who are their friends, where do they hang out, how are they doing in their school/college etc. It all depends on how much time parents are willing to spend on their children (and it does take a lot of time).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks