Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2023, 09:20   #211
BHPian

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Which is the cheapest hand held Circular Saw that is available for wood ?
I know the Marble cutters are cheaper, but dont want to use that as sometimes it tends to burn the wood due to the high RPM.
i.e. even with a wood blade attached.

Currently looks like this is the cheapest one. (Excluding the no brand china makes)
https://www.ibo.com/black-decker-cs1...w/p/ERX0W7QLXI

Last edited by Fillmore : 15th May 2023 at 09:22. Reason: Extra content added
Old 15th May 2023, 09:29   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Which is the cheapest hand held Circular Saw that is available for wood ?
I know the Marble cutters are cheaper, but dont want to use that as sometimes it tends to burn the wood due to the high RPM.
i.e. even with a wood blade attached.
When you look for inexpensive saws, buy one that uses smaller blades. Good cuts are a function of good blades. Smaller blades cost less.

I like cordless circular saws. Bosch India has both corded and cordless ones. Can't go wrong with Bosch. https://www.bosch-pt.co.in/in/en/han...-131487-ocs-c/

Even if you find other saws, I recommend investing in top quality blades. Freud or Diablo.
Wash it with soapy water, and take care of it. It should last a long time.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 15th May 2023 at 09:30.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 09:39   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Even if you find other saws, I recommend investing in top quality blades. Freud or Diablo.
Wash it with soapy water, and take care of it. It should last a long time.
Just checked out Freud and Diablo

and man they do come pricy
But I get what you are saying.
Old 15th May 2023, 09:54   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked out Freud and Diablo

and man they do come pricy
But I get what you are saying.
True, they are pricey. All the issues related to heat, are because the blade loses its edge after a few cuts, and simply wastes energy as heat. Once it heats up, it gets blunt even more faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I am trying to cut a few small pieces of Veneer (the one that is used as a top layer on a plywood sheet).

How to cut along the grain ?
Use a ruler or a straight support piece and score a deep line with a utility knife or a sharp blade. Score this line few more times till you can snap and break it. I assume it's ~1mm.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 15th May 2023 at 09:58.
Old 15th May 2023, 10:11   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

How much thickness of wood can an electric jig-saw cut ?
Looking at the electric wood cutters, I dont think my use justifies that price-tag. A B&D jig-saw seems much more cost effective - but the blade will be perpendicular to the sheet of ply-wood.

Max thickness to cut will be 19mm. Not the kind of jobs as to build cabinets, but looking for an easier way to cut existing strips of ply-wood that were left over from the cabinet work at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Use a ruler or a straight support piece and score a deep line with a utility knife or a sharp blade. Score this line few more times till you can snap and break it. I assume it's ~1mm.
Veneer, bro. 3mm. Not laminate sheet.

condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 10:28   #216
BHPian

Quote:
How much thickness of wood can an electric jig-saw cut ? ...

looking for an easier way to cut existing strips of ply-wood that were left over from the cabinet work at home.

Veneer, bro. 3mm. Not laminate sheet.
You should easily be able to cut these with an electric jig-saw.
Based on my experience .. to cut fine strips left over do not use a wood blade on the jigsaw, instead use a fine tooth T118A Aluminium blade.

Cut it slow without forcing any pressure, it will take more time but you will get clean cuts.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 11:31   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Based on my experience .. to cut fine strips left over do not use a wood blade on the jigsaw, instead use a fine tooth T118A Aluminium blade..
Thanks, @Fillmore. Just to be sure - how thick a plywood have you been able to cut ?

I thought the jig-saw with wood blade is what is used when carpenters cut round cut-out holes in ply wood ? Or do they use these AL blades ?
Old 15th May 2023, 13:09   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, @Fillmore. Just to be sure - how thick a plywood have you been able to cut ?

I thought the jig-saw with wood blade is what is used when carpenters cut round cut-out holes in ply wood ? Or do they use these AL blades ?
I have cut upto 3/4th inch using the Jigsaw.
Currently I do not have the machine with me to try cutting thicker wood (Its at another location).

As for your 2nd question, I am not 100% sure what carpenters use. But my experience has been that if you use the wood blades they do cut faster, but at times you get some splinters on the wood, it does not give a clean cut.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 21:53   #219
BHPian

Quote:
How much thickness of wood can an electric jig-saw cut ? Looking at the electric wood cutters, I dont think my use justifies that price-tag. A B&D jig-saw seems much more cost effective - but the blade will be perpendicular to the sheet of ply-wood.
19mm is 3/4th of an inch. I have cut 1.5 inches of Douglas Fir (Framing lumber) several times. There are many different types of jigsaw blades, and of different lengths and width. Best use of a jigsaw is for shapes and curves. Jigsaw Puzzle got that name for a reason In my humble opinion, its not the right tool for thin straight strips.

That said, the quality of thin straight strips is a function of a good fence. It will be as good as the fence. Put your saw up against the fence and have a go at it. If you have to use the jig saw, take it easy, check the temperature of the blade constantly, and clear the debris constantly.

Quote:
But my experience has been that if you use the wood blades they do cut faster, but at times you get some splinters on the wood, it does not give a clean cut.
To avoid splinters with any cut, you could use sacrificial wood. Clamp the workpiece between sacrificial wood, like a 1/4" thick plywood. It does get tricky if the sacrificial wood itself is too thick.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 15th May 2023 at 21:58.
Old 21st June 2023, 12:57   #220
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.w.w. View Post

I've made 4 of such pieces since 2020....
This is simply excellent and exactly what I was thinking about. I am going to reach out to you for this
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 00:03   #221
BHPian

Wife wanted separate cutting boards for vegetables and fruits. Hardwood cutting boards trap odor of onions, and propagate them to fruits according to my wife. This brick format one is from Indian Rose wood and Canadian maple. I made this last year, but I resurfaced it as it was scuffed up from a year of hardwork. The new striped one I just made - is made out of Maple, Walnut and Mahogany scraps.
The Woodworking Thread-20231105_115318.jpg

Last weekend I made a couple projects from wood scraps. A oven tray and large flat thing organizer.
The Woodworking Thread-20231028_152914.jpg

A storage drawer under the sink, so that it's easier to reach things that are stored way behind. I put some old drawer slides that was laying around the house to good use.
The Woodworking Thread-20231104_173543.jpg

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 8th November 2023 at 00:16.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:01   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Any place to get pine wood (if it is soft) / softer wood pieces (like from pallets) in Bangalore ?

Want to just fiddle around a bit and make some amateur stuff using basic hand tools. Soft wood since the sawing and cutting would be easier).
Old 8th November 2023, 09:27   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Any place to get pine wood (if it is soft) / softer wood pieces (like from pallets) in Bangalore ?

Want to just fiddle around a bit and make some amateur stuff using basic hand tools. Soft wood since the sawing and cutting would be easier).
I worked from our Blr office couple times this year. I looked around and it was all plywood near j.p. Nagar. But, on ring road by metro station, I found old wooden doors. Even teak wood doors. I was going to buy one and saw it down to workable pieces. Then we got this vintage teak door. I had it be converted to a dining table. He did a decent job with the teak chairs as well. Below pic is from our Blr apartment

The Woodworking Thread-img20231009wa0003.jpg

This option may be cost effective if you have space to store it. Have someone saw a door to smaller work pieces.

Hardwood is also great to learn, it won't split or create burr, but the tools need to be sharp. What tools do you have?

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 8th November 2023 at 09:31.
Old 8th November 2023, 10:20   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

I only have a handsaw and drill kit. Forget trying, I am not even thinking of your level of work. I just want to fiddle around.
Old 8th November 2023, 11:21   #225
BHPian

Quote:
I only have a handsaw and drill kit. Forget trying, I am not even thinking of your level of work. I just want to fiddle around.
Buy some wood glue, and sand paper, you can get started. With patience and persistence, anything is possible

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks