Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:46   #256
BHPian

Re: The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post

Here is a video of the moon from my scope. I have one of Saturn too.
Excellent. Could you please share the telescope model name.
Old 3rd August 2022, 15:53   #257
BHPian

I love Astronomy and Astrophysics stuff even though most of it goes over my head. PBS Spacetime, Scishow Space, etc. some of my favourite youtube channels. The recent pictures from James Webb were out of this world. Following its launch this year and the first results has been so wonderful.

Milky-way pictures as well as those of DSOs have always fascinated me and they makeup all my my wallpapers and screen-savers. I started photographing the milky-way and the moon since last year when i got my A7C setup and was able to visit Ladakh and Spiti since then. I do have plans for a tracker and a telescope eventually as i focus towards shooting DSOs. I have learned a lot over the year and am still learning, from planning a shoot and editing in Lightroom, Photoshop, Davinci etc. which itself is half the work.

Sharing pics and time-lapse i have taken over last year:

Milkyway at Komic-Langza road - 29 May 2022

The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-komic-milkyway-core-3840x2160-custom.jpg

Milkway at Mud Village - 27 May 2022:

The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-mud-3840x2160-custom.jpg

Milkyway at Chitkul - 24 May 2022:

The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-chitkul-3840x2160-custom.jpg

Full Moon - 16 May 2022:

The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-full-moon-16052022.jpg

Unexpected Night Sky at Palolem beach, Goa - 26 Feb 2022

The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-palolem-26-feb-2022-custom.jpg

Full Moon - 21 Oct 2021:

The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-full-moon-21-oct-2021.jpg

Milkyway at Tso Moriri - 28 Sep 2021:

The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-tso-moriri-karzok-milkyway-28-sep-2021-custom.jpg

Milkyway at Hanle - 26 Sep 2021

The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-hanle-custom.jpg

My first Milkyway shot on road-side before Pangong - 25 Sep 20221

The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-kawal-4-custom.jpg

All shot with a Sony A7C and Sony 20mm f1.8 G lens for milkyway and Tamron 70-300mm f4.5-6.3 Di III RXD for moon.
AnandB is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 17:30   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Excellent. Could you please share the telescope model name.
This was taken with a skywatcher 6 inch dobsonian telescope
Old 3rd August 2022, 18:54   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Sharing pics and time-lapse i have taken over last year:
Wow! Those are breathtaking pictures of the Milky way!
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 22:46   #260
BHPian

Quote:
On Saturday evening (Oct. 8), should local weather conditions permit, you'll be able to enjoy a view of a waxing gibbous moon hovering near to the "king of the planets," Jupiter.

Both will be posed about one-quarter up in the east-southeast part of the sky as darkness begins to fall. The moon, which will be less than 24 hours from full phase — 99-percent illuminated by the sun — will be situated just below and to the left of Jupiter, a distance measuring roughly 4 degrees.

To gauge how wide 4 degrees is, your clenched fist held at arm's length is equal to roughly 10 degrees. So, Jupiter and the moon will be separated by less than half a fist on Saturday night. In addition, the moon measures one-half degree wide. However, because of an optical illusion, the moon actually appears twice as big as it actually is to our eyes. Thus, while the separation between the moon and Jupiter seemingly should be equal to eight moon widths, when you see them in the sky on Saturday evening, the two will appear to be much closer — to some, perhaps less than half the predicted "eight moons wide" distance.
Link to full article: https://www.space.com/moon-visits-ju...hing-oct-08-22
Old 10th October 2022, 09:23   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Milkyway at Komic-Langza road - 29 May 2022
Milkway at Mud Village - 27 May 2022
Simply breathtaking!

Quote:
Unexpected Night Sky at Palolem beach, Goa - 26 Feb 2022
Unexpected indeed. Been visiting Palolem since 2008. It used to be a nice dark and peaceful walk on the beach at night, but it's steadily gotten worse in terms of light pollution on the beach each year. (Not to mention all the other forms of pollution!)
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 09:06   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/97898111.cms

"India's first stargazing site for tourists ready in Ladakh"

(Since it's the ToI reporting, not sure how much is fact and how much is made up, but still interesting to see this initiative.)
Old 1st May 2023, 10:38   #263
BHPian

My 15 year old kid has started showing some interest in astronomy, and wish to buy his first telescope. Any recommendations for purchasing first telescope for kids?
Old 1st May 2023, 16:49   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Any recommendations for purchasing first telescope for kids?
I'd suggest NOT buying a cheap beginner scope - they suck and can kill the interest with their sh!**y image quality. Get a pair of good 8x40 or 10x50 binoculars (example link, ). This will let him get familiar with the night sky.

Then look for astronomy groups near you, and join their events - you'll get a taste of what to expect to see through a variety of equipment. If his interest continues to grow, you can then think about getting a 6 inch dobsonian or larger to pursue astronomy as a hobby.

PS: Never look at the sun either directly, or through any optical instrument unless certified solar filters are used.
Old 16th November 2023, 10:25   #265
BHPian

Need some advise / recommendations.
Based out of Bangalore.
Planning for a weekend getaway in January.
Wife + 11 year old kid.
We would like to do an astronomy / star gazing trip where it could be a few hours drive, and then 1-2 nights camping. And some guidance around star gazing.
Can someone recommend a place pls?
Old 16th November 2023, 10:41   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
We would like to do an astronomy / star gazing trip where it could be a few hours drive, and then 1-2 nights camping. And some guidance around star gazing.
Can someone recommend a place pls?
Do you have a telescope or are you looking for events where the organizers bring in telescopes?

One option is Chiguru Farms near Bangalore. They have relatively dark skies (Bortle - 3 to 4 I guess), and I have been there once to attend a star gazing event arranged by Mr. Vijay. This will be a balanced event with more family activities like camp fire, stay in tents etc.

Another option is the Coorg area. BAS (Bangalore Astronomical Society) arranges star gazing events during weekend nights of the new moon. Check below thread where I have documented one of my trips to this star party.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ery-coorg.html (Coorg Star Party - An Astrophotography / Visual Observation Trip to Talacauvery, Coorg)

This will be more astronomy-centric. The stay will be very basic. But there will be lots of telescopes and volunteers will be showing lots of astronomy objects like galaxies, nebulae, star clusters etc. There will be a strict "no white light" rule after it gets dark.

This year, the events will start from December. If you want to check this out, then register in their Telegram group in the below web page.

https://bas.org.in/

Let me know if you need any more details specific to astronomy. Will try to answer.
Old 17th November 2023, 14:12   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Do you have a telescope or are you looking for events where the organizers bring in telescopes?

Let me know if you need any more details specific to astronomy. Will try to answer.
Dear graaja sir - thank you so much for the detailed information.

We are a family of beginners (not even close to amateurs) who love taking the long roads and get close to nature.

So we will need both - guidance and telescopes 🙂

Our plans are more towards January onwards and into the early summers at this time.
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 14:33   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
So we will need both - guidance and telescopes 🙂

Our plans are more towards January onwards and into the early summers at this time.
Then I would highly suggest the one organised by BAS. There should be events starting from December till March, all of them around the 2nd weekend.

Mostly, I will be attending the events in December and February.
Old 10th March 2024, 17:42   #269
Senior - BHPian

This is why Carl Sagan called the Earth a "Pale Blue Dot - a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam".

https://scaleofuniverse.com/en
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 20:13   #270
BHPian

Amazing to say the least.

Voyager 1 had stopped sending the data back to earth and then NASA JPL fixed the bug remotely. Remotely as in 24 billion kilometers away !!

Quote:
The team discovered that a single chip responsible for storing a portion of the FDS memory — including some of the FDS computer’s software code — isn’t working. The loss of that code rendered the science and engineering data unusable. Unable to repair the chip, the team decided to place the affected code elsewhere in the FDS memory. But no single location is large enough to hold the section of code in its entirety.

So they devised a plan to divide the affected code into sections and store those sections in different places in the FDS. To make this plan work, they also needed to adjust those code sections to ensure, for example, that they all still function as a whole. Any references to the location of that code in other parts of the FDS memory needed to be updated as well.
Link

Last edited by graaja : 23rd April 2024 at 20:18. Reason: Minor typo
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks