Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 22:38   #901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
@shajufx , work out at 9-10 am ? , no office/work ?
I work from UK open to & US lunch hours. So, I am free for all personal things upto 1.30pm IST (UK market Open). The last time I remember working 10am to 5pm was back in the year 2000. Presently I stick to 9am to 10am workout time, mainly because upto 8.30am is peak hours in most of the gyms.

Diet is 60% and workout is 40% suggested for me by my trainer/dietician upto end of Feb 2009. Right now I do cardio and weight training on alternative days Monday to Saturday. All the weight stuff (leg pull, leg curl, chest press, rowing, shoulder press, pull etc.) is at 40 kg right now. Dumbell workout items have progressed from 7.5 kg to 15kg as of now. I might feel 15 kg too less in a week's time, so the next immediate target is 20 kg. Increasing the weight is not my agenda, but professional advise is to keep the weight not too light and not too hard. As long as I can do 15 reps (3 sets) without getting tired or strained, I dont actually worry about the number marked on it.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:56   #902
Senior - BHPian

Nobody to post here ??!! I hope our body builders are not sleeping in the Gyms !! Anyway I want to update my developments and few shoppings which I have done in connection.

First, my experience at a 'More' (earlier Fabmall) medical counter. I wanted to buy 100% whey. He had the original 'Optimum' 100% whey that comes from US, 5 lb costing Rs.4300/- and the Indian 'Muscleman' brand 100% whey 500 grms for Rs.695/-. Indian version is from an ayurvedic company called 'Shiv shakti' from Bahadurgarh. The counter guy said they get least margin on the US product but was trying his best to promote the US product. He even stated the Indian product is made out of some 'Bhasma' and ayurvedic contents and may not be very effective as the US brand. Anyway, I have an unpredictable behaviour when it comes to sales people, so I chose apna ayurvedic. The bottle contains 500 grms of 100% whey and 200 grams of creatine as complimentary ! Good !

Then I came across bodybuilding.com website and realized my impulsive buying nature. Same 'Optimum' brand and many others are found here but much cheaper than Indian stores. Only drawback is the shipping charge. I got excited about the number of items these people have and placed my first order with them. I will attach the order copy here for easier understanding.
Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-order.jpg

These are the top 3 best selling items. First item is the multivitamine tablets, BSN No-explode is the creatine powder and the third is 100% whey. I read through the instructions, multivitamine is for general use, creatine is before workout (10 to 15 grams max per day) and whey for post-workout (30 to 50 grams) and some other time of the day or before going to bed.

Now I am waiting for the FedEx to deliver at my doorstep by 4th March. They have also sent me the invoice, tracking number etc. I find the shopping experience very comfortable. If anyone else has checked this site or bought similar products, please post here. I am curious to know how other members feel about the products or the online seller. If anyone has suggestions to get these items for the same price in India, please enlighten. Atleast we save on the shipping !!

Last edited by shajufx : 27th February 2009 at 13:02.
Old 27th February 2009, 14:04   #903
BHPian

@Shajufx - I think you've forgotten all about customs, duty etc. These products will certainly attract a duty, probably around 40%
I'm not at all convinced about what you've bought.
1. A proper multivitamin supplement would have been far better and far cheaper
2. 200 - 300 gms of micronized creatine would have been far better. You're paying shipping for 2lbs of artificial color, flavor and sweetner, MCTs and other stuff??!
3. If ordering from abroad, why not a whey isolate like Isoflex or Isopure? ON 100% is mainly WPC and arguably the worst tasting protein I've ever had!

Secondly, I'd advise you to be pretty careful about using Creatine. It's just not worth it if you're not training very hard, which according to what you've posted, I don't think you are. Creatine works best the first time you take it, so make sure you start when you really wanna grow.
I honestly think you should have asked before making these impulsive purchases.
Old 27th February 2009, 14:15   #904
Senior - BHPian

Your post makes me feel miserable. Yes I would have consulted here as I always do.

There are 1000s of items in their list and many new ones introduced every now and then. This is my first attempt of getting some health-related things from overseas. I am constantly checking similar items around here, no doubt. My motivation was another well-built guy in the gym who carries his bodybuilding.com bottle shaker with whey in it (I will be getting a shaker free since the order is above $75). He is been ordering different things over an year now, and his body speaks for it. So, I got curious and wanted to try the same. Lets see, I will post the photos and details once it reaches here.
Old 27th February 2009, 14:48   #905
BHPian

@ Shajufx - I'm truly sorry for making you feel miserable.
If you wanted to be motivated by the well built guy, you should have asked him about his training routine, his diet, and especially what kind of shape he was in when he started training and for HOW LONG he's been training rather than get carried away by a shaker bottle! Shaker bottles, even branded ones are available for around Rs. 150/-! I know, i have 3!
What I cannot figure out is how you didn't think about the duty part? This "package" of yours, due to the packaging will be a carton, the size of a small monitor perhaps. It is very unlikely that customs will overlook it.
I was told by a courier guy that anything with a billing over $50 attracts a closer look. I too have ordered from abroad and have paid the price! In my case, it did turn out to be quite more expensive than getting it here locally. In my defense, I had ordered years ago and what I wanted was simply unavailable in India. Now, a lot of good products are legally imported and although they're quite expensive when compared to prices abroad, the entire process is a lot easier.
What makes me really sad is that I feel the products that you've ordered are not exactly the best for you right now, given the intensity of your training and even then, cheaper alternatives exist!
You've paid over 2000 bucks for shipping and that in itself makes it closer to the price you'd get stuff here. In addition, you might attract the same amount, if not more, by way of duty. That makes this, to me, a pretty expensive proposition.
I sincerely hope, for your sake, that customs overlook this one (I'm told even the time that the consignment reaches here has something to do with it) and that you won't have to shell out any more dough.
All the best, fingers crossed.
Old 27th February 2009, 18:17   #906
Senior - BHPian

About the import duty and customs routine, I have not heard about such a thing from anyone, also never found it myself. My company is a New Jersey (US) based one, I keep getting training materials, books, DVDs and also Xmas/New Year gifts from clients by International couriers. So far, I have not paid a penny for any of those.

Once FedEx delivered around 10 kgs of stuff to me from US, never heard of customs even then. So, practically I dont know how its going to be this time. Anyway, you have successfully made me miserable as well as scared although I like to take chances in life !

Prices what is paid online is half of what is available in the indian stores. A 5 Lb whey costs here Rs.4300/-, which is almost double than online price ! So, when you order different things for shipping, the cost of receiving is worth.

Fingers crossed here as well !
Old 27th February 2009, 19:16   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
About the import duty and customs routine, I have not heard about such a thing from anyone, also never found it myself. My company is a New Jersey (US) based one, I keep getting training materials, books, DVDs and also Xmas/New Year gifts from clients by International couriers. So far, I have not paid a penny for any of those.

Once FedEx delivered around 10 kgs of stuff to me from US, never heard of customs even then. So, practically I dont know how its going to be this time. Anyway, you have successfully made me miserable as well as scared although I like to take chances in life !

Prices what is paid online is half of what is available in the indian stores. A 5 Lb whey costs here Rs.4300/-, which is almost double than online price ! So, when you order different things for shipping, the cost of receiving is worth.

Fingers crossed here as well !
Books/DVDs etc. do not fall under the same category as supplements! I have ordered and paid duty, hence I know for a fact it's applicable.
A little looking around could have gotten you better prices as well. I recently picked up a 5lb. Isoflex for just under 4K.
Mind you, this is whey ISOLATE (far better than WPC like ON 100%) with 90% protein per serving. It tastes great too. It is a strawberry flavor with real fruit pieces!
Old 27th February 2009, 20:42   #908
BHPian

Quote:
First item is the multivitamine tablets, BSN No-explode is the creatine powder and the third is 100% whey. I read through the instructions, multivitamine is for general use, creatine is before workout (10 to 15 grams max per day) and whey for post-workout (30 to 50 grams) and some other time of the day or before going to bed.
I thought BSN No-Xplode was a Nitric Oxide supplement. Is it Creatine?
Old 27th February 2009, 22:22   #909
Senior - BHPian

Check this link Bodybuilding.com - Complete Muscle Gaining Supplement Guide - Choose The Right Supplement! you will see the top items in each category. So, I have taken the best from Protein, Creatine and Multivitamins sections. BSN No-xplode comes in the top creatine as well as nitric oxide supplement sections.

Last edited by shajufx : 27th February 2009 at 22:24.
Old 27th February 2009, 23:00   #910
BHPian

Just checked out the link and yes BSN NO-Xplode is listed under both creatine and Nitric Oxide supplements. However I feel that its more of a NO supplement with very little amount of creatine in it than the other way around. Can one of the experts throw some light on this please.
Old 27th February 2009, 23:19   #911
BHPian

Just because the web site selling the supplement lists it as the top doesn't make it so. for all you know it might simply be the best seller on that particular site!
FYI, the so called "creatine" that you're going on and on about is in fact a pre workout drink!
By no stretch of the imagination is Optimum Whey the BEST whey available; it's not even whey isolate for starters.
Go have a look at NOW products; they have some excellent multivitamin formulations made especially for men.
Just because it says bodybuilding.com doesn't make it the last word in nutrition!

Neither have you got the best products nor will they be cheap!
Old 27th February 2009, 23:43   #912
Senior - BHPian

And in any case, aren't you just starting out? What kind of weights are you lifting? Do you even need supplements at this stage?
Old 28th February 2009, 03:18   #913
BHPian

I did check out the "top" products on bodybuilding.com and it turns out I was right! These are the top SELLING products, not the BEST products. HUGE difference!
Maruti 800 could be the top selling car but do you want to say it's the best car?!
Old 28th February 2009, 09:56   #914
BHPian

I take A to Z Gold, Cod liver oil and Calcium sandoz tablet for my vitamin and mineral needs. Its cheap and easily available
Old 28th February 2009, 12:11   #915
BHPian

Quote:
the original 'Optimum' 100% whey that comes from US, 5 lb costing Rs.4300/- and the Indian 'Muscleman' brand 100% whey 500 grms for Rs.695/-.
You can get the same Optimum 100% whey for 3700/- from this website. Weight Loss Products and Bodybuilding Supplements-WHEY Protein In India

Most Viewed