Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2008, 00:19   #766
Senior - BHPian

Alright,so will the use of creatine also increase my natural stamina over due course.because i am lacking stamina in weight training.
also i seem to have hit a wall of sorts in terms of lifting weight.its very weird as this is just the starting but i am not able to lift more than that.
so should i start taking some other supplements.some complex substances etc to overcome this.
Old 8th November 2008, 00:51   #767
Team-BHP Support

hey guys. need to pick up a new protein supplement now. have been using isopure zero carb for the past few months. though not very often since i havent been able to go to the gym often. i only have the protein shake after my workout, is this right?
one of my friends is picking up something called ultimate mass gainer. what are your thoughts on that?
Old 8th November 2008, 01:02   #768
BHPian

hey plz dont use creatine unless under supervision of an authorised person.it causes water retention so that u dont sweat much .it can destroy ur kidneys if not taken properly.plz avoid amino acids as well.unless u want to be a pro body builder.uyou then have to work out atleast 8 hours a day.
please eat egg whites (5-6) daily with a single yellow,eat roasted chiken whenever you can and drink a nice big glass of milk daily.
whey protein by optima is good.you have to take it according to your body weight and duration of workout.take it only if u work out more than a hour daily.2-3 scoops in milk/water.
best way to build muscle naturally is to have5-6 egg whites a day,chicken,milk and keep increasing the resistance in your workout in a graded manner and a proper rest of one week atleast before you take up the same muscle group again.
Old 8th November 2008, 01:29   #769
Senior - BHPian

Yes now this ^ was a fact that i was forgetting.My trainer had told me about the water retention thing.what he told me was that drinking a good amount of water should solve the problem.but yes you're right it will create problems if i don't workout for longer durations.

I take 1 scoop before and 2 after the workout.egg whites,yes and milk too.
i have been seeing results but now seem to have hit a block.seems like more workout is the only way to overcome.
thanks for reminding me about the creatine problems and the tips.
Old 8th November 2008, 08:54   #770
Senior - BHPian

Creatine facts

Creatine is the most basic performance ehnancing supplement in the world.
Creatine helps improve your anerobic strength and is primarily effective if you are weight training.
Creatine has to be cycled. You should not consume creatine year round. You may cycle it as in 30 days on and 15 days off.
Excess creatine consumed will only be filtered and flushed out of your system via your kidneys thereby increasing its burden.
Best time to consume creatine is approx 30-45 mins prior to your workout or immediately after workout. You may consume a second serving after a 12 hr interval only if your training requirements are extremely strenous.
While under a creatine cycle do not consume coffee of caffeine products as caffeine acts as a diuretic and will put undue stress on your kidneys.
Drink more water while on a creatine cycle.
The gains you achieve by using creatine are NOT permanent unless cycled frequently and followed up by a high protein diet.
A good way to assess your protein requirement is 1gram of protein per pound of LBW(lean body weight). LBW = your body weight minus your fat percentage.
Generally you may just consume .75gm/lb of BODYWEIGHT(if you do not know your fat percentage). 1kg = 2.2lbs(pounds)
This protein requirement is essential if you are training hard with weights and intend to achieve a LEAN, muscular & strong physique.
Of your total protein requirement, 50% of your protein should be met by natural food sources of protein. These include eggs, fish, beef, chicken, meat.

Other benifits of creatine include:
Enhanced recovery.
Fuller muscles.
Better muscle pumps.
Increased strength.
Increased anerobic endurance.

Do not use creatine if you do not have a serious regular weight training background of minimum 6 months. Consult a professional prior to use of any performance enhancing substances.

cheers:
J
Old 8th November 2008, 09:00   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Yes now this ^ was a fact that i was forgetting.My trainer had told me about the water retention thing.what he told me was that drinking a good amount of water should solve the problem.but yes you're right it will create problems if i don't workout for longer durations.

I take 1 scoop before and 2 after the workout.egg whites,yes and milk too.
i have been seeing results but now seem to have hit a block.seems like more workout is the only way to overcome.
thanks for reminding me about the creatine problems and the tips.
Navpreet, there is a difference between training hard and training long.
Longer workouts do not mean harder workouts.
When you train longer(more exercises,sets & reps) you achieve a different result compared to a short (less exercises,sets & reps)focussed HARD workout where you use more INTENSITY.
Do check with your trainer if he knows the difference. A correct training approach can give you the desired result in half the time.
Its more about TRAIN SMART = train with your brain.
aka Valentino Rossi.
cheers:
J
Old 8th November 2008, 09:08   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.Which brand of whey protein do you guys use or suggest to be used and where are they available in india?

I've been working out for the past 3-4 months.taking whey protein before and after the workout as suggested by a great trainer/bodybuilder here.But i'm not in contact with him since the past one month since he's out of town.
2. Now my question what is the use of creatine.Should i start the use of creatine.
I suggest that you train for a few more months before you start using creatine.
3. what is the use of glutamine.how is it sourced.some brands of whey protein have glutamine.but what other ways are there to source it.
In simple terms glutamine promotes recovery. ITs available off the shelf with supplement dealers. Its better to start Glutamine first than creatine.
4. Amino acids(nitrogen compounds) are supposed to give that extra pump in the workout.how and when is it suggested to start it.
Amino acids are broken down version of your protein. If you are consuming sufficient protein from natural sources & whey then you do not need additional amino acids. Whey protein has amino acids too.
cheers:
J

Old 8th November 2008, 10:22   #773
Senior - BHPian

Hey JAY thanks for the heads up on creatine and workouts.
I don't train long.its just mostly 40 mins.and i give it my all in those 40 min.thats why i have personally seen very good results in just 3 months.even my friends are astounded.

but i have another problem.a problem with a very very weak liver.you can judge that by the fact that the doc has advised me to stay away from alcohol completely.a few drinks mean i'll be logging on to tbhp from heaven.lol.

now this is the primary reason why i have been keeping away from excess protein as well as creatine.
i take moderate amount of whey and considerable amount of milk.and top it off with caesin protein at night before sleeping as its a slow release protein working all night.
so i guess its enough.

another question.how do we calculate the LBW?

also whats the recommended way to take glutamine?

Last edited by navpreet318 : 8th November 2008 at 10:23.
Old 8th November 2008, 13:19   #774
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, thanks a lot for comments and suggestions. I plan to start weights from Monday. Will be a gradual shift from Pure cardio+abs to cardio+abs+weights.

Can someone please help me with a 5-day workout plan ? The gym I go to is off on weekends. So I plan to use weekends for outdoor sports - Tennis/Golf/Badminton.

Please bear in mind that I am a complete novice when it comes to weights

Thanks in advance
Old 8th November 2008, 22:26   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but i have another problem.a problem with a very very weak liver.you can judge that by the fact that the doc has advised me to stay away from alcohol completely.a few drinks mean i'll be logging on to tbhp from heaven.lol.
frankly speaking, your health should be of your concern more than building body. do you really need to take risky supplements?

I quit creatine because I was useless for most of the day after a heavy workout and creatine, and i needed serious productivity at work. I did gain some muscle in that period though.

most of the supplements strain our internal organs like liver and kidney to their extremes. also bodybuilders take a lot of vitamins to keep general resistance high when they train hard.
Old 8th November 2008, 23:00   #776
Senior - BHPian

Yes thats why now after reading some of the opinions i'm leaning,infact i've decided to stick with only whey protein as the supplement.i've been using it and have also consulted a physician regarding this and he says this is alright.

By the way talking about vitamins and minerals,what vits and mins are recommended?
and in what quantities.
like are multivitamins good enough or some other specific vitamins and minerals are required to be taken?
Old 8th November 2008, 23:32   #777
BHPian

I have been working out on and off. I never taken any supplements other increasing my natural protein intake eggs, chicken, tuna, salmon etc. I am very close to my ideal measurements -5%, just need to shed a few more inches on my waist ie 3 inches. I do the usual 600 cals cardio one day, next day body part and third day rest.

I dont understand the need for extra supplements like whey or creatine or even their side effects and long term effects. Can someone throw some light on this? Will they be of any help?
Old 8th November 2008, 23:53   #778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
hey guys. need to pick up a new protein supplement now. have been using isopure zero carb for the past few months. though not very often since i havent been able to go to the gym often. i only have the protein shake after my workout, is this right?
one of my friends is picking up something called ultimate mass gainer. what are your thoughts on that?
anyone care to answer this?? please?
Old 9th November 2008, 08:51   #779
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
I dont understand the need for extra supplements like whey or creatine or even their side effects and long term effects. Can someone throw some light on this? Will they be of any help?
This question has been asked and asnwered before in this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...tml#post819602
Old 9th November 2008, 11:21   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
anyone care to answer this?? please?
If you are not working out regularly. Avoid the mass gainer like plague.
Its got a high percentage of carbs(approx 60%). Simply put, extra carbs convert to fat. Isopure is good whey. Any good brand of whey with a 90% protein content is good. You can also use it to supplement your regular protein requirement while travelling.
Whey also works wonders when you are sick, when your body processes are down and it promotes faster recovery.

@ Navpreet> in your case its best to stick to what your doc recommends. MY personal opinion though> small amounts of glutamine & creatine should not negatively affect your liver since they are nothing but broken down amino acids in their free form. And since these are furthur processed for easy absorption they are all the more safer. However, in your case, its best not to bother about all this since you are not into serious sports/lifting.
cheers:
J

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks