Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 09:24   #556
BHPian

Thanx a ton, Vikram.

Green Tea & Gatorade is in & Glucon-D out. Thanx for that.

Any comments on the gym schedule will also help a long way, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Do refer to my previous post regarding workout. Drop the Glucon-D altogether; you're doing yourself ONLY harm, no good. If at all you want a pick-me-up, try Gatorade.
Old 10th April 2008, 09:49   #557
BHPian

Hi Guys

Just discovered this thread. Need some help

I am 26. Till abt a month back i had never been to a gym. During my college days used to do a lot of cardio (running mostly) and regular push ups etc

Last few years my weight has gone from 80 to almost 100 (183 cms). From last months i have been actively exercising and been on a 'healthy diet' have already lost 2 inches of the waist and feel a lot more light and energetic.

I spend abt 80-90 mins in the gym. and do Cardio + one body part each day.

Now my problem is due to work i am often not able to find time for the gym! or rather suitable time. I was thinking of getting some dumbells, 2 rods and some weights to start exercising at home.

Do you think i can effectively exercise all body parts with free weights at home?

What is the basic minimum i equipment i need to have? My aim is to be FIT and get rid of some excess weight.

Thanks!

Elito
Old 10th April 2008, 14:04   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the basic minimum i equipment i need to have? My aim is to be FIT and get rid of some excess weight.
You don't need to buy weights. Use your own body for resistance training. Compound exercises like pushups, pullups, squats etc combined with 45-1hr of cardio should be more than enough. This will burn excess fat from you body and give you the required muscle tone.

Shan2nu
Old 10th April 2008, 14:22   #559
BHPian

yeah basic body weight exercises are good enough to maintain fitness - i miss gym a lot due to office hours and generally end up doing bodyweight exercises like squats, pushups, pull ups, calf raises on the weekdays and actual weights in the gym on fri sat sun.
I do have weights at home - adjustable dumbbells and a few pairs of plates (30kgs in all). Instead of a bar its always best to have adjustable dumbbells and plates, as then you can work each side of your body individually and not have to worry about one weak muscle supporting the other when lifting. I typically use the dumbbells at home on rare occasions (when i miss gym for long periods) for biceps, triceps, deltoids, etc

So in summary you can do a lot with body weight exercises, but if you plan on skipping gym completely then get some adjustable dumbbells at home to add more variety and get fuller muscle workouts. And if fat loss is important make sure you get some cardio in too!!

Last edited by jassi : 10th April 2008 at 14:23.
Old 10th April 2008, 16:26   #560
BHPian

Hi,
I intend to put on Muscle weight,currently i am 5'9" and weighs 69 kG.It would be of great help if any one can advice good nutritional sup,tried and tested one rather then some famous one available.
Old 10th April 2008, 17:00   #561
BHPian

i have personally used many whey protien supplements in the past and was using coach's formula for some time.
However I started using supplements only when I moved away from home for work, my best supplements were the concoctions i used to make when staying at home whole or skimmed milk + few egg whites + 1 yolk + chocolate powder or vanilla essence + bananas if needed. I used to have this 2-3 times a day when I was in serious gains mode. However I have realized raw eggs is not everyone's first choice which is where supplements like coach's formula come useful. I do remember that quite a few supplements have a loading and unloading phase!! Remember to make sure you get a supplement which is derived from milk (like whey) and eggs. I haven't hear of many soy based protein supplements, the reason being that soy does not have all the amino acids and hence is only absorbed upto 60% by the body where-as milk + egg derivatives have the potential to be absorbed 90+ % by the body due to presence of complete amino acids in them.

Last edited by jassi : 10th April 2008 at 17:04.
Old 5th May 2008, 00:22   #562
BHPian

Thanks Shan2nu and Jassi

I do agree that i can do a lot with pushups, pullups, situps etc. However i have been gymming for almost 2 months now and got quite addicted to lifting weights.
I already have lost almost 2 inches off my waist and dropped abt 3-4 kgs in total.

Also i feel 4-5 diffrent exercises with dumbells give mucles like biceps, triceps and shoulders good shape.

i average 3 days a week to the gym (due to work hours). so is it possible i use these days for back, legs and chest and work out the biceps, triceps and shoulders @home?

cardio i manage separately( ave 3-4 days a week i jog).

Elito
Old 5th May 2008, 11:44   #563
BHPian

elito pushups helps a lot , but buying weights is not a good idea , i mean you wont get that sort of mood that you get in the gym trust me i have tried this .....if you dont like bulky muscles then do cardio like you mentioned ...lots of cardio and one body part a day .......u have to make time for working out buddy
Old 5th May 2008, 11:53   #564
BHPian

I agree Chetan...but pushups are tough to restart after a gap of 4-5 years. i barely manage 2 sets of 8-10. (used to do 3-4 sets of 25 when abt 5 years back). Yes i do plan to continue cardio..esp with the delhi heat..it becomes a real fat burner!!

Elito
Old 5th May 2008, 14:34   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
elito pushups helps a lot , but buying weights is not a good idea , i mean you wont get that sort of mood that you get in the gym trust me i have tried this .....if you dont like bulky muscles then do cardio like you mentioned ...lots of cardio and one body part a day .......u have to make time for working out buddy
I agree 100%. I had bought dumbells, push up bars and treadmill 2 years back. Except the first few days, none of them are used till today. Although I went to a normal gym and later to an aerogym regularly, I never feel like touching the stuff at home. Kicking myself to restart gyming again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
I agree Chetan...but pushups are tough to restart after a gap of 4-5 years. i barely manage 2 sets of 8-10. (used to do 3-4 sets of 25 when abt 5 years back).
Yes its tough to restart pushups after a few years gap. Majority feels comfortable and happy trying dumbells and other weights in sitting or standing position than making set of push ups.

If anyone here gyms at Bangalore North (any gym) please let me know. After my aerogym got closed down due to the partners' dispute on share of profits, I am looking for a new place to restart.

Last edited by shajufx : 5th May 2008 at 14:36.
Old 5th May 2008, 15:49   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but pushups are tough to restart after a gap of 4-5 years
You need not do a flat pushup on the very first day. You can start off with an inclined pushup by placing your hands on an elevated platform. This will reduce the load on your arms letting you do more sets.

As you feel comfortable with this degree of incline, you can start lowering it.

Shan2nu
Old 5th May 2008, 16:12   #567
Senior - BHPian

Dont waste your money on Soy based supplements.

Coaches Formula and all are ok but cant be assured of the contents.

Either stick to good old milk,eggs, chicken or invest in some reputed brands of Whey Protein from the US. (Brands - Optimum, Ultimate, SAN, Prolab, BSN, Dymatise etc..)

Shajufx - Blore north which area?
Old 5th May 2008, 19:51   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Shajufx - Blore north which area?
My Home is facing outer ring road, very close to Kuvembu Circle (end of New BEL road merging to outer ring road) on my right, BigBazar Hebbal on my left, Sahakarnagar, Vidyaranyapura and Kodigehalli as backside, Sanjaynagar, RMV 2nd Stage and Nagashettihalli towards front. Anything within 4 kms radius is fine with me.

Last edited by shajufx : 5th May 2008 at 19:54.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:00   #569
Team-BHP Support

This may be a dumb question, but I gotta ask.

Why do you guys take all these supplements?
Can you stop when the purpose is served?
What happens once you stop?

I have never taken any supplements, ever, so when I see all these brand names floating around, I really start wondering.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:31   #570
Senior - BHPian

Its not at all a dumb question ! I finished few cans of 100% pure whey powder last year(taken as a milkshake 15 minutes before the workout). Personaly I got the strength to dance and workout (aerogym which gives only batch-wise workout session with 1 hour full time music which usually ends with 5 minutes of Yoga or some european dance form). Coming to the difference;

Aerogym (7am to 8am) with whey drink = 1 hour sincere workout without fatigue, enough energy to wait till the breakfast.

Aerogym (7am to 8am) without whey = 20 minutes sincere workout, no more energy to move, somehow finish the session for the sake of it. Rush home for breakfast because body starts demanding food.

Purpose is different person to person. Those who are on the weight gaining mode will take it as a substitute for the energy spent on heavy workouts mostly before and after. They should never stop it one fine morning, without backing up with equal amount of extra food or drink.

Now when you stop taking it (not a professional tip but on personal experience). Body will feel something is missing which used to be a routine. I lost 4 kilos within a month, because I stopped gym and whey all on a sudden.

Another positive side of supplements is; 2 or 3 spoons will equal to a good amount of normal food. One can not eat and do workout, even if one wants to get the effect of food consumed, there is a delay of digestion and getting absorbed. Suppplement powders give instant energy within 10 minutes in most cases.

I am sure there are lot of experts here, whatever I have typed are from personal experience, nothing of a professional nature. Please correct if there is anything as a misconception.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks