Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 00:04   #511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
Leave that aside. I only want to know the technical part abt the reps and the weights to be used.
the pyramid style of increasing weights and decreasing reps is normally good for building muscles. the idea is to torture them till fatigue (failure actually), so next time body sends more nutrients to repair and build them. The last set shud be such that you can lift no more. Some new kinesology experts have derived other techniques too, to shock the muscles and increase the rate of buildup.

even if you are only trying to lose weight, it's a goo idea to work out muscles (which help you in burning the calories) anyway, provided you have enough time to devote. you need active muscles to do everything else in life, don't you cheers:.
Old 31st January 2008, 00:06   #512
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, So I better start myself and may be after 2/3 weeks once I build up lil' stamina I should join a gym? I'll enquire with Talwalkers, JP Nagar one will be a good option for me.
Actually my apartment complex do have a big gym but I don't think there are any instructors there.But atleast I can use it for cycling and walking.I normally don't like gymming as I find it too boring but still I would do it.
Playing is a good option but issue is that I'm not able to find a partner.Used to play badminton with a friend but now he also got very busy.
Old 31st January 2008, 11:35   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hmmm, So I better start myself and may be after 2/3 weeks once I build up lil' stamina I should join a gym? I'll enquire with Talwalkers, JP Nagar one will be a good option for me.
Actually my apartment complex do have a big gym but I don't think there are any instructors there.But atleast I can use it for cycling and walking.I normally don't like gymming as I find it too boring but still I would do it.
Playing is a good option but issue is that I'm not able to find a partner.Used to play badminton with a friend but now he also got very busy.
Hey kaushik I used to be a passenger of the same boat. I am around 5'10 and weighed 107 kgs . I have tried everything from be it running, gyming, cycling etc etc. But what really helped me loose weight real fast was swimming. I lost 14 kgs in 2 months with only a bit of diet control and lot of swimming. This was like 4 years ago. I am around 80 kgs now and have maintained this wieght for 3 years. I still do 40- 50 laps besides my regular quota of squash but initially it was swimming that helped me build stamina for exercise and gym and also help me reduce weight drastically.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:39   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the best place/price to buy: Cell Tech & Nitro Tech hardcore?
Old 26th February 2008, 11:59   #515
BHPian

try the shops at Metro i think they will have, not into supplements so would'nt know much.
Old 29th February 2008, 03:06   #516
Senior - BHPian

I've noticed many people working out with a tight band around their biceps. I know it puts a lot of pressure on the muscles,but how does it help in building these muscles?
Old 29th February 2008, 15:51   #517
BHPian

How important is it to have a massage when you are into body building??????????
Old 29th February 2008, 22:18   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate View Post
How important is it to have a massage when you are into body building??????????
The masseur I go to,told me that a lot of bodybuilders get a full body massage done to remove knots, especially in the shoulders & back. Helps release tension,and improve muscle condition.
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:18   #519
Senior - BHPian

Proably not hitting "the wall",( the point when body loses all available glucose and shifts to fat storage, making one feel like there is no strength left) is the reason most of the weightloss programs fail. Last night I was watching discovery channel where they showed a swimmer who gained 16 pounds of fat (as preparation) and lost 14 out of it after crossing english channel. The human body needs a lot of practice to develop such abilities. but once that point is achived, fat management should be easy.

now before anybody gets hyperactive and starts running, here is another link on Bonking, and warning of hypoglecemia. so please be careful.
Bonk (condition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

All I want to stress was that until we get used to passing the point of fatigue and enter the phase of using fat storage, the weight loss programs may not work.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:21   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
And I do cardio. Everyday. On alternate days, I try to do 45 mins (15 mins on cycle + 15 mins on crosstrainer + 15 mins on cycle) or( CT+cycle+CT).
Do Cardio post workout and try swimming

Elliptical (crosstrainer) can offer maximum calorie burn if done right.

If you want to seriously lose weight then make sure your eating right (not starving cos then you will store fat and burn muscle).

Take an 8 week program. Every week ramp up your cardio(one session a week) so that on the 8th week your able to do about 30-40 minutes on the Treadmill or Elliptical.

Im not advocating stressing yourself out. Im saying raise the bar on yourself everyweek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Whats the best place/price to buy: Cell Tech & Nitro Tech hardcore?
Will PM you a number this evening. Cell Tech is absolute crap though would advise putting your money on other worthy scientific supps.

Good I found this thread again, Im going to start working out ASAP!

Last edited by s0uljah : 4th March 2008 at 10:22.
Old 13th March 2008, 11:59   #521
BHPian

Hey you gymgoers and non gymgoers just wanted to ask.. is there any other way to calculate the BODY FAT PERCENTAGE other than those electronic equipments which are available in the gym.

Ok now i found this website Body Fat Calculator!!

Once Read Dont KNow where ,that if you have all 6 packs visible then your Fat Percentage is between 7-9, if you have 4 packs visible then ur between 10-12 , if you have two packs visible then ur at 13-15 , if you have 3 visible tyres from your lower chest to your lower abdomen then ur well above 16%. Is this true??

Just for Info!!
Old 13th March 2008, 13:42   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once Read Dont KNow where ,that if you have all 6 packs visible then your Fat Percentage is between 7-9, if you have 4 packs visible then ur between 10-12 , if you have two packs visible then ur at 13-15 , if you have 3 visible tyres from your lower chest to your lower abdomen then ur well above 16%. Is this true??
Not always. Diff people store fat differently, thats why measurements are taken from all over the body to calculate accurate fat %. And just reducing body fat won't give you a 6 pack, you need to work your abs to make them visible.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 13th March 2008 at 13:44.
Old 8th April 2008, 15:17   #523
BHPian

Whats up you gymmers, hows it going!!

Since i was on my road to get ripped, my schedule is oing pretty strong, did 2 weeks of circuit training with 2 exercises per body part 15 reps each set, alternating my days with Low intensity cardio, like running at low speeds, Rowings at low pressure. Changed my schedule and following a one day per body part with 10 minutes of heavy cardio. Keep the workout intense, and quick with 30-40 second rest between sets. Reps again ranging between 12-15. 3 Sets per exercise.

Diet has not to a great extend been under control yeah but to some extend it has . have seen good difference, Weight remains the same , but loosing some fat, can see the difference.

Now the Question! I have enrolled myself for swimming. Will start from 1st May Onwards for two months atleast. No me not a beginner to water at all, have been swimming for years (school), but then stopped some years back. Is it ok for one to workout in the night and swim approx 40-mins the next morning? No worried about getting tanned. But then will just help get an extra mile towards shedding some fat, and wanted to join swimming from a long time so made up my mind now. Please throw some lights towards this question.

Any changes towards my workout, or anything i would need to consider , i have approx 20 days if in case i need to change my workout or something. any diet thingy i need to follow (i will try) hehe.

Vikram18, Shan2anu, souljah and anybody & everybody who knows about this can put in your inputs. Any help would be great. Thanx
Old 8th April 2008, 15:27   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Is it ok for one to workout in the night and swim approx 40-mins the next morning?
Sure it's ok. Try and gulp a protein shake before you sleep and get a small snack before you swim in the morn (even an apple or a banana will do)
Old 8th April 2008, 15:42   #525
BHPian

Thanks vikram,but i am sorry i dont take any protein shakes, any other atlernatives

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks