Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2020, 14:37   #4666
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Powder is not for everyone's taste for sure. I tried with my usual way of mixing with water but found it difficult. Mixing with fruits (like banana/apple) or oats and peanut butter in blender helped me get used to the taste.
Any reason on why you prefer this one over Whey Isolate. Just a beginner trying to understand things here.

I am kind of narrowing down to buy MB Whey Isolate after some research. Primarily reason is to have zero carb and sugar.

I was on a low carb diet for the past 2 months and lost quite amount of fat (10 kgs) and now at kind of an ideal weight.

Next goal is to lift some weights in the next few months and aspiring for a little muscle build up. Given the lock down, the work out will be restricted to dumb bells and body weight exercises. I have never taken a supplement before so educate me on consuming this. Hope it cannot go wrong.
Old 21st May 2020, 14:54   #4667
BHPian

Guys, thanks to covid i dont think i will be hitting gym till next year so thinking of getting resistance bands for particularly shoulder and arms exercises. Which brand makes durable bands as i dont want the band to break in the middle and gift me a permament tattoo.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Raghav96 : 21st May 2020 at 15:24.
Old 21st May 2020, 17:21   #4668
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys need some advice.

I have been planning to incorporate some weight training to my fitness regime. Right now it's just running and some basic body weight excercise.

Due to Covid I don't plan to join Gym anytime soon. Also my intention is not to bulk up, just to get some definition and weight train with the intention of fat loss (I am at 22% body fat now).

Since going to gym is out of question, I intend to mostly do Body weight training. Since I won't be able to work out my Biceps effectively, I intend to invest in a pair of Dumbbells to work out at home.

My intention is to go for the fixed weight ones for ergonomic reasons. Perhaps a 10kg pair.

Any special points to look for while looking for these? Any other disadvantage apart from the fact that you are stuck at this weight for ever? How often do you expect to out grow a particular weight specially when aim is not to bulk up but to get some definition and maintain.

Last edited by vibbs : 21st May 2020 at 17:25.
Old 21st May 2020, 17:35   #4669
Team-BHP Support

Dumb bells are limited in range of exercises. Why don't you consider Kettlebells?

Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 20:31   #4670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hey guys need some advice.
If you are committed to body weight training, why the dumbbells ?
Also 10kg for biceps is something you will outgrow fast.
Do you have access to a pull up bar ? Does apartment have a Kids play area with swings etc where you can use the horizontal bar at height for pull ups ? Then, various types of pull ups with grip variations can help isolate your biceps and contribute to overall arm + back development.

At the price of dumbbells, I’d suggest investing in a good set of resistance bands, which will provide you hundreds of variations in movements and resistance for all kinds of body work outs, biceps being the easiest of the lot

@raghav - I don’t think any TOP quality bands are available in India because we haven’t taken to this method of training yet. Try out the ones on amazon. It’s a bit of trial and error.

Last edited by narayan : 21st May 2020 at 20:35.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 21:42   #4671
BHPian

Quote:
Any special points to look for while looking for these? Any other disadvantage apart from the fact that you are stuck at this weight for ever? How often do you expect to out grow a particular weight specially when aim is not to bulk up but to get some definition and maintain.
Well, it depends upon your training level. Since you are specifically talking about biceps here and assuming budget is not an issue, I would suggest you to get 2 pairs, 7.5 kgs and 12.5/15 kgs depending upon your strength level. Reason: 10 kgs is a relatively bigger jump directly for curls. You can warm up with 7.5s and do your main sets with 12.5/15s. Better warm up, less number of injuries. Second, it will take longer time to outgrow 12.5/15s.

Definition and size is mainly dependent upon your diet. Common perception that higher reps with low weight leads to better definition etc is nothing more than a myth. Lower your body fat is, better your muscle definition will be.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 21:48   #4672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I won't be able to work out my Biceps effectively, I intend to invest in a pair of Dumbbells to work out at home.

My intention is to go for the fixed weight ones for ergonomic reasons. Perhaps a 10kg pair.
Not an answer to your query but just to let you know that I am in the same boat as you. I went ahead and bought a pair of 10 Kg dumb bells (Rs.4600 for both) just 2 days back.

Let me see how it goes.
Old 21st May 2020, 23:23   #4673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Any reason on why you prefer this one over Whey Isolate. Just a beginner trying to understand things here.

I am kind of narrowing down to buy MB Whey Isolate after some research. Primarily reason is to have zero carb and sugar.
Only reason I choose vegan products is because of me being vegetarian and being little allergic to milk. Plus also the reason that once I had a whey protein which had animal products in it and now even though you get ones without any I have a mental barrier against it.

If you are confident of getting the required protein from natural sources (eggs, meat, veggies) you can ignore buying Whey. But if you are not so sure and have to be sure to get nutrients and gain muscle, please proceed with buying it. Most of them do come with low sugar and carb content. Blend with fruit/berries if you don't like the taste.

Quote:

Since going to gym is out of question, I intend to mostly do Body weight training. Since I won't be able to work out my Biceps effectively, I intend to invest in a pair of Dumbbells to work out at home.

Suggest you go with a good pair of resistance bands. Advantage of it being you can use it for other form of exercises as well. Make sure to get ones which come with door stopper and handles as a set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

At the price of dumbbells, I’d suggest investing in a good set of resistance bands, which will provide you hundreds of variations in movements and resistance for all kinds of body work outs, biceps being the easiest of the lot
+1 to this. Its effective for various forms of exercises.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:16   #4674
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Dumb bells are limited in range of exercises. Why don't you consider Kettlebells?

Thanks Samurai.

I had no idea of these. At first glance it seems there could be a space problem inside the house for most of the excercise due to the range of motion. However I will look out for more information. It seems interesting.

Quote:
If you are committed to body weight training, why the dumbbells ?
Also 10kg for biceps is something you will outgrow fast.
Do you have access to a pull up bar ? Does apartment have a Kids play area with swings etc where you can use the horizontal bar at height for pull ups ? Then, various types of pull ups with grip variations can help isolate your biceps and contribute to overall arm + back development.

Hi Narayan,

Only reason for Dumbbells is convenience in the house and inability to hit Biceps well with body weight in absense of a pull up bar. I stay in Singapore. I could do my pull ups at Nature parks here. But now with the circuit breaker I don't know when the excercise places will be opened again. Within our condo, it's not still allowed to excercise in public places.

I don't have resistance bands. But I had bought chest expanders from Decathlon. I felt it was inconvenient to use the expanders to target biceps. The ones shown on Decathlon website are not the ones actually being sold. I still use them to do some chest and back excercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Well, it depends upon your training level. Since you are specifically talking about biceps here and assuming budget is not an issue, I would suggest you to get 2 pairs, 7.5 kgs and 12.5/15 kgs depending upon your strength level. Reason: 10 kgs is a relatively bigger jump directly for curls. You can warm up with 7.5s and do your main sets with 12.5/15s. Better warm up, less number of injuries. Second, it will take longer time to outgrow 12.5/15s.

Definition and size is mainly dependent upon your diet. Common perception that higher reps with low weight leads to better definition etc is nothing more than a myth. Lower your body fat is, better your muscle definition will be.
Thank you ast.ggn. I will keep that in mind. Perhaps will order 2 sets as you suggested. I have managed to bring my body fat down from above 25% to 22% now in last 5 months through some dietary intervention (IF with carb control) and running. Main interest to do weight training is to cut down more fat - atleast get to around 17%.

Quote:
Not an answer to your query but just to let you know that I am in the same boat as you. I went ahead and bought a pair of 10 Kg dumb bells (Rs.4600 for both) just 2 days back.

Let me see how it goes.
Thanks Balenoed. May I ask which one you bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

Suggest you go with a good pair of resistance bands. Advantage of it being you can use it for other form of exercises as well. Make sure to get ones which come with door stopper and handles as a set.

+1 to this. Its effective for various forms of exercises.
Thanks TorqueyTechie.

I have a chest expander. I felt it was not as convenient for biceps curls. I could not find good examples of resistance bands with door stoppers and handles you have suggested here in Singapore. Depending solely on Decathlon for the moment.
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:21   #4675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Balenoed. May I ask which one you bought?
It is a brand called "Muscle Fit" that I picked up from a nearby fitness equipment shop. 10 Kg would be apt if you want to go with a dumb bell. It's not so light and not so hard. Even if it outgrows, it can be used as a warm up later on.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:25   #4676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Hi Narayan,

Only reason for Dumbbells is convenience in the house and inability to hit Biceps well with body weight in absense of a pull up bar. I stay in Singapore. I could do my pull ups at Nature parks here. But now with the circuit breaker I don't know when the excercise places will be opened again. Within our condo, it's not still allowed to excercise in public places.

I don't have resistance bands. But I had bought chest expanders from Decathlon.
Hi vibbs. If you are in Singapore, it’s just a matter of day’s to regain access to public parks which all have pull up bars. There is no better way to hit upper body for someone looking at body weight training. Also decathlon chest bands are not what you should be using. Check Lazada for the regular elastic exercise bands which are sold with various elasticities.
If you have made up your mind on dumbbells, go for it. But my personal opinion is that dumbbells for home work outs is ineffective and does not give you the range that bands can offer.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:09   #4677
BHPian

Quote:

Let me see how it goes.
I have both these sets from Decathlon .

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8501164/i...bars-kit-50-kg

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8491831/c...bell-kit-20-kg

The easy clip ons make it easy to increase or decrease weight .

I also have a squat rack from decathlon .

Will be adding a treadmill soon .
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:18   #4678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi vibbs. If you are in Singapore, it’s just a matter of day’s to regain access to public parks which all have pull up bars. There is no better way to hit upper body for someone looking at body weight training. Also decathlon chest bands are not what you should be using. Check Lazada for the regular elastic exercise bands which are sold with various elasticities.
If you have made up your mind on dumbbells, go for it. But my personal opinion is that dumbbells for home work outs is ineffective and does not give you the range that bands can offer.
Hey Narayan,

No no I have not made up my mind at all.

Is this the type you are implying?

https://www.lazada.sg/products/11-pc...d-6e1e3941a243

How to judge the quality? Most of these are shipped from China.

Last edited by vibbs : 22nd May 2020 at 12:19.
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:52   #4679
BHPian

Quote:
dumbbells for home work outs is ineffective and does not give you the range that bands can offer.
Sorry to differ here. I had complete weight training set up at home for years barbell, free weights, adjustable dumbbells, squat cage, deadlift platform, force calibrated resistance bands from Elite Fts etc. Resistance bands are only a tool which can be used to add variety or a varied stimulus to your training movements. In the age of Instagram models nowadays, they are being promoted as the "only thing" you need to train at home. But the truth is that they can never beat the variety of exercises and muscle stimulation old school adjustable dumbbells can offer, they don't even come close. If anyone says dumbbells are ineffective, they probably need to relook into their training or perhaps the weight being used is too light.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:10   #4680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Narayan,

No no I have not made up my mind at all.

Is this the type you are implying?

https://www.lazada.sg/products/11-pc...d-6e1e3941a243

How to judge the quality? Most of these are shipped from China.
Hi Vibbs
Not this type. Go for ones without those end hooks. And go for 2 types. Longer ones with varying intensity and a set of shorter ones(also with varying intensities) for shorter range of motions.
Also look up James Grage’s you tube channel. Very informative on using resistance bands. You’ll be able to improvise a lot.
I’m a proper gym guy. But what I’ve noticed is that the resistance band approach gives you a lot of variation in the current environment and also can be your back up on those days in future when you aren’t able to go to the gym.
A key benefit over dumbbells is you can keep muscles under tension throughout the range of motion (just like the cable machines at gym).
As for Chinese products, I’m not someone who believes all Chinese goods are inferior. If you have the budget, go for a Singapore seller with a branded product.
Enjoy your work outs.

Last edited by narayan : 22nd May 2020 at 18:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks