Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2017, 21:54   #4546
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

@fine69:

I understand what you mean. But my point was more for ordinary blokes like me who would otherwise simply while away the time.
This allows for much clearer focus and its not really like I am lifting heavy weight.
Old 9th August 2017, 13:31   #4547
Senior - BHPian

I usually have rest for 1 to 1.5 minutes. It used to be more when I started initially. Now I find I recover pretty quickly even with heavier weights and lifting until failure. I guess it increases endurance also. This also enables you finish your workouts quicker.

Read about this threatening condition due to intense workouts
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/26/he...ner/index.html

Last edited by srishiva : 9th August 2017 at 13:35.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:02   #4548
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I was talking to somebody who took up bodybuilding in his early 40s. He lost 30kgs in matter of few months and developed impressive set of muscles. That made me ask him what kind of supplements he is taking. This was the list:

Multivitamins
Whey
C4 preworkout
Bcaa intra
Glutamine
Cassine
Fish oil

I want to know whether it is safe for somebody starting in the 40s to take all this.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:27   #4549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I was talking to somebody who took up bodybuilding in his early 40s. He lost 30kgs in matter of few months and developed impressive set of muscles. That made me ask him what kind of supplements he is taking. This was the list:

Multivitamins
Whey
C4 preworkout
Bcaa intra
Glutamine
Cassine
Fish oil

I want to know whether it is safe for somebody starting in the 40s to take all this.
Let me try to answer this from my experience.

Multivitamins - Must

Whey - Must

C4 preworkout - skip it. Instead take a tablet of caffeine(which is equivalent to 2 cups of coffee) 40 minutes prior to workout. Or you can also take Creatine. Personally I take half a tablet and 5 grams of creatine and it serves me very well.

Bcaa intra- Never taken it as I don't feel the need.

Glutamine - Must

Cassine - Not needed.

Fish oil- Must.

Hope this helps.
Old 13th August 2017, 12:36   #4550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Going by your profile pic, you don't look to be in your 40s...

You are probably right about their impact on bodybuilding. But I am asking about the long term affect of these supplements in the 40s, when the body can't take much abuse.
Old 13th August 2017, 13:10   #4551

Hello all,

I'm 18 years old and I'm slowly getting interested in bodybuilding.

I am 5'7 and 51kilos and have a lean frame.i have a high metabolism that restricts my body from growing fat.

I would say my diet isn't the healthiest and on par with an avg teen,but I do eat a good amt of food.
I'm not a real active person but do cardio regularly.

I'm not looking for an Arnold structure or any where near it, But looking to grow a bit of muscle

What should be my course of action?
Old 13th August 2017, 19:56   #4552
Senior - BHPian

For past some time, I have a tight office schedule that prevents me spending over an hour in a gym. The maximum time I can spend in my office gym is around 45 minutes.

In last one year I have reduced my weight from 85Kg to 81Kg (current Age-26, height 5"11). Reduced number of chapatis I used to eat, included more pulses in my diet. I have also included one scoop of whey post workout since last 3-4 months but In terms of building muscles I haven't achieved anything significant yet, but have improved strength and increased my lifting capacity a bit. I am not sure if I should continue taking whey or stop it altogether.

If I see one area where I have failed is to see any improvement in terms of my belly fat. Though it has reduced a bit, but still noticeable when I sit. Getting rid of that droop is really difficult.

I used to do 5-6 exercise for each body part. But now due to time constraint, I am thinking of reducing the number of exercises to 3 but increasing the amount of weight I lift gradually. I also do 3-4 sets of crunches including resistance cardio with 15% incline with speeds around 10-12 as part of HIIT cardio.

Will this approach affect my ability to reach my goals of fitness that includes flat tummy and decent physique?
Old 18th August 2017, 14:25   #4553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

You are probably right about their impact on bodybuilding. But I am asking about the long term affect of these supplements in the 40s, when the body can't take much abuse.
I logged into this thread after ages to actually ask this question. Keen to see how this "40+" discussion shapes up.

I have been gymming for long and 40 now ( neither been very regular nor a hard trainer ) but in the last 2 years have modified some of routines and am seeing gains in size and form. ( although I still struggle to add significant bulk ). I have shed about 1-2 kgs in my waist to reach a little under 30" and that seems to have gone into the muscles I suppose.

Want to try out a bulking phase. I am just 64kgs and 175cms. Wondering if I should try creatine. Never tried in all my life and whatever internet research I have done suggests it is safe.

But keen to hear more from bhpians
Old 19th August 2017, 18:13   #4554
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone here tried working out with the gada? I was watching this video and the comments specially. Most are stunned at how that skinny kid does 25Kg gada with ease.

And where can I buy a gada? I wouldn't try anything bigger than 5Kg gada at first.
Old 19th August 2017, 21:19   #4555
BHPian

I too was seeing these videos a few months ago. Also saw some on the Persian "Meels".

I liked this guy's explanation of the technique (in case anyone is interested)-

-------

Samurai sir, I need some advice from you. I have been sticking to the "Royal court" for a while. But I am having trouble increasing the number of repetitions/ the count.

I do 100 baithaks -20/25 reps in 5 sets.
36 Dands - 8 to 6 reps per set.
Rest between each set is 15 to 20 seconds.
Rest 1 day a week.

[Sometimes I add Some pushps (regular, elevated), IF I have some energy left - just to change the routine for the body.]

1. What is the right way/ plan/ mindset to increase the count?

2. I need to be eating right the whole day, everyday. Any lax on any day leads to low energy levels for the workout by evening.

3. Even a 2 day gap - means the count falls to 60 or 80 Baithaks + 25 Dands only. And then another 2 days to get back to the 100 Baithak + 36 Dand routine.

I have fallen in love with the simplicity of these exercises and see myself doing these for life. Have even convinced a friend to add these to his routine.
Old 19th August 2017, 22:08   #4556
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
I do 100 baithaks -20/25 reps in 5 sets.
36 Dands - 8 to 6 reps per set.
Rest between each set is 15 to 20 seconds.
Rest 1 day a week.
If you are doing so many dands, you need to allow 48 hours to recover, so that the micro-tears can get healed. Otherwise you won't see improvements. Baithaks can be done everyday, but dands require recovery since they are really brutal.
Old 20th August 2017, 01:52   #4557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox p100d View Post
Hello all,

I'm 18 years old and I'm slowly getting interested in bodybuilding.

I am 5'7 and 51kilos and have a lean frame.i have a high metabolism that restricts my body from growing fat.

I would say my diet isn't the healthiest and on par with an avg teen,but I do eat a good amt of food.
I'm not a real active person but do cardio regularly.

I'm not looking for an Arnold structure or any where near it, But looking to grow a bit of muscle

What should be my course of action?
I am 40 , and put on 10 kilos this year by doing the following
a) eat more ,count calories and aim for 3000 calories .. which should have 1 gm per lb of body weight
b) start going to gym atleast 5 days of week and lift . Do the SL 5x5
c) Lots of water and sleep
follow reddit gainit group for inspirations
good luck!
Old 20th August 2017, 05:53   #4558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's an old one. I am 36 right now.
As far as I know there aren't any long term bad effects of these supplements.
Old 20th August 2017, 11:31   #4559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As far as I know there aren't any long term bad effects of these supplements.
While I was growing up, I had a neighbor who worked in Saudi, while his family was in India, next to our house. Since he was alone in Saudi, he used to do bodybuilding at his company gym. He had impressive body despite his short stature. He probably was taking multiple supplements to be able workout that much, I never asked him. He had a major heart attack at 44, and barely managed to survive. He gave up bodybuilding after that. I was in my 20s then, and I had just taken up bodybuilding, although not as serious as him. After seeing his situation, I reverted back to body-weight calisthenics I used to do since my teens.

I know it an anecdotal example, but it did scare me away from serious bodybuilding, which requires supplements.
Old 20th August 2017, 11:47   #4560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While I was growing up,
I don't think steroids and supplements were widely available in the past century.
Even if they were somehow available the knowledge to use them would have been extremely limited.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks