Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2016, 18:51   #4351
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I have been weight training for 3 months, I am on mass gainers(1/2 scoop around 15gms pre and post workout) since day 1 and started glutamine(5 gms/day during workout) and BCAA(10gms per day in 2 serving morning and post workout) after a month, Last month is started creatine(5 gms/day during workout) and I definitely see a gain in overall lifting capabilities, when I started I was at 88 and now I am at 88 but a lot fit now, I have started including egg in my diet, I have close to 5 whole eggs a day with two in breakfast and 3 during dinner, of late I feel little bloated and little lethargic, I workout for 6 days with 1 day rest. I am planning to change my diet and workout routine from oct 1st week since I am switching to whey I was thinking of including chicken and fish to my diet and reduce my carb intake, My dinners are very small apart for the 3eggs(omlate), I eat 4 chappathies for lunch(medium size) and 2 during breakfast along with a 2 egg omlate.

My routine does not include any cardio since I was loosing muscle weight and getting tired. I usually workout 2 body parts a day and repeat each part on the 4th day. Gurus let me know if I am heading the right way. Idea is to gain some muscle mass and reduce my body fat content to less than 20%(I know its too high )

Pramod
Wow that's a lot of supplements for someone who is only 3 months into weightlifting!

Normally people start with whey protein first and add creatine at a later, more advanced stage of weightlifting.
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:41   #4352
BHPian

A lot of people here must be using Davisco, any importers of repute who might be able to hand me with some genuine stuff in Delhi ?? I've heard of this guy Nipun Jain, with the website nipunjainfitness, he does say that he is an importer of Davisco.

Anyone here has an experience with his imports ??
Old 4th October 2016, 15:13   #4353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
A lot of people here must be using Davisco, any importers of repute who might be able to hand me with some genuine stuff in Delhi ?? I've heard of this guy Nipun Jain, with the website nipunjainfitness, he does say that he is an importer of Davisco.

Anyone here has an experience with his imports ??
http://nutrimed.co.in/ I have bought from them.

Pramod
Old 4th October 2016, 15:57   #4354
BHPian

"Rana's diet, monitored by his personal trainer Kunal Gir, has been high on carbs and protein, reported IANS."

Seems like the diet of a netherworld. Ages since I have read it.

http://movies.ndtv.com/regional/rana...ome-topstories

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As someone who has broken his right forearm have started one-arm programme and running.

Found this video. Inspiring.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 4th October 2016 at 16:07.
Old 4th October 2016, 17:29   #4355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
As someone who has broken his right forearm have started one-arm programme and running.
Your body balance will be skewed and as someone who's recovering from Hip Piriformis (which I thought was a lower back issue earlier) I'd strongly suggest you recover and then get into any weight training.

If that's you in the photo I'm assuming you're somewhere near 40, pardon if I got it wrong , the chance of injury in wrist, elbow, knee or worse come, spine, is high in 30+ people due to imbalance. Unless of course, you know your body better and there's no chance it could happen.

In fact, stationary biking would be much better than even running. If you are a gym-goer then use this opportunity to build legs with some leg press and hamstring curls. I have had a fair share of major injuries - ankle, knee, wrist, shoulder and now the hip so its my definitive duty to warn others to take it easy and be very very careful.

A question to protein powder lovers...

How many of you have got the protein powder tested at a lab? I'm assuming that you guys spend a good amount of money on protein and other stuff each month so 2-3k worth of tests shouldn't be a problem once in every 3-6 months.

I was going through a broscience blog and somebody suggested that whenever you are skeptic of your protein powder quality, just take it to your nearby lab and get a check done for protein content along with other restricted elements. That was like a eureka moment, I mean why wouldn't people do this more often?

Then I searched some more and realized that people have indeed got their protein powder and other stuff checked for protein content and then some additional checks for restricted elements and steroid. Has anyone here done something similar? Its an excellent way to determine what's going in your body and whether that 95% protein claim is any good.
Old 4th October 2016, 19:03   #4356
BHPian

Hi Team,

I am 6'1 & 73 Kgs (Underweight by 10 kgs I think). I worked out for an year or so till I had a ligament tear in my shoulder. It has been 3 years now, recently I have again started working out. Usually, I try and hit the gym for 4-5 days a week. I have been doing chest/triceps, back/biceps & legs/shoulder since a month now. I am a pure vegeterian and do take whey protein immediately after work out. I have been experiencing pain in my wrists, and recently I think I have sprained one muscle in the back(been a week or so) and the pain is still there. I have stopped working out for now.

Would like to understand if there is something I should be worried about because of all this pain or if there is something that I can do to improve things?
Old 4th October 2016, 23:10   #4357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Would like to understand if there is something I should be worried about because of all this pain or if there is something that I can do to improve things?
If I were you, and I was you actually , I'd change my routine first and foremost.

Well, I have experienced something similar w.r.t. injuries and have spent a lot of time finding answers to where I went wrong. After spending the last few years trying various things I'd recommend the following -

1) Stick to 3 days a week routine, recovery and adequate rest is very important, especially in the initial weight lifting journey

2) Stick to compound lifts for a few months - squat, benchpress, overhead and deadlifts is enough to give the whole body a very good foundation. Pushups and Chinups can be thrown in as body weight exercises are very less likely to injure you compared to weights.

3) Initially, don't follow the 5x5 sort of routine, instead, follow 12-15x3-4, this would prevent you from upping the weights too much and would in turn prevent injury.

4) If there's an injury, WAIT IT OUT. Don't be a hero and workout with an injury. Go see a doctor instead of diagnosing the injury on the net.

5.a) Watch your form! Right from picking weights up to putting them down, every step is crucial, especially when you are lifting heavy. I have Hip Piriformis simply because I wasn't racking the weights the right way after squatting 75kgs. I'm now squatting 45kgs because I was an idiot. Every step is important and don't learn it the hard way like I did.

5.b) Record your form on video and watch it. See where you've made mistakes and improve on them before going heavy. Don't let the gym trainer or your gym buddy tell you whether your form is right or not, see for yourself!

5.c) Even with the perfect form, if any of your muscle/body part is telling you that its in pain or something's not right, STOP! Not everybody can do every exercise. Some people curl with a barbell while others experience wrist pain and are better off with an EZ bar. So, what works for others might not work for you and its only you who has to learn, unlearn and relearn what's best for you.

6) Protein powder is an endless debate. I'd suggest have regular home made meals and watch/record your progress over a few months before deciding what's working and what's not. Unless of course, point 7

7) If your goal is to look like Arnold or Hrithik or Lazar or Seid, ignore what I said above and have a low-price contract with a medical lab for weekly blood/lipid and what not tests and go get yourself some steroids.

All this was assuming your goal is to have better strength with a slightly better looking body. Once you have a solid foundation then jump on to isolation workouts as your joints/ligaments/tendons/muscles would be in a much much better condition to handle stress.

Lastly, and this totally my personal opinion, engage in at least one more routine/sport apart from weight training. Be it swimming or learning the basics of a martial art or weekend football, I believe it gives the body a much needed break, doesn't let one get obsessed with lifting, loosens up the body a little and in course one might learn something new - a new sport or art.
Old 5th October 2016, 00:44   #4358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
If I were you, and I was you actually , I'd change my routine first and foremost.

Well, I have experienced something similar w.r.t. injuries and have spent a lot of time finding answers to where I went wrong. After spending the last few years trying various things I'd recommend the following -

Lastly, and this totally my personal opinion, engage in at least one more routine/sport apart from weight training. Be it swimming or learning the basics of a martial art or weekend football, I believe it gives the body a much needed break, doesn't let one get obsessed with lifting, loosens up the body a little and in course one might learn something new - a new sport or art.
That covers essentially everything and I'd recommend that this post be made a sticky one and posted right at the beginning of this thread.

Your personal opinion about engaging in something apart from weight training is my personal recommendation too, wholeheartedly. The combination of a sport and weightlifting is so effective that I don't understand why more people don't follow it. The two complement each other so well that you can see the benefits of one in another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Hi Team,

Regarding wrist pain, apart from watching your form, I have found wrist bands to be very effective as well.
Old 5th October 2016, 02:00   #4359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Regarding wrist pain, apart from watching your form, I have found wrist bands to be very effective as well.
+1

I got these after my wrist injury, highly recommended!!
Old 24th October 2016, 13:38   #4360
BHPian

Hello guys, just adding some more gyaan here from personal experience. I have never been a fan of cardio and find it boring. Through the Mumbai monsoons I started experimenting with a different form of cardio, or if I say - conditioning work.

I have added these 3 major things:-

1. Skipping Rope and Hanging Leg Raises post weight training. Supersets, 100x5 sets of Skipping, 10-12x5 sets of Leg Raises.

2. Interval training (HIIT) on treadmill post weight training - walk for 2-3 mins at 5.5 kmph, run for 1 min flat at increasing speeds of 15,16,17,18... till a max of 21 kmph, for every minute of run. I also keep increasing incline by .5 every walking session and go up to max 4. Entire stuff done in under 30 mins and I'm usually dead after.

3. Box Jumps + Kettlebell Swings + Skipping Rope on non-weight training days. Work up to 45" Box Jumps, 2 jumps x 5 sets, 20/24 kg Kettlebell 15-20x5 sets, 100x5 sets of Skipping. (Trisets)

My big lifts fluctuated a bit but overall I feel lighter and more energetic throughout my workouts and at least look overall leaner.
Lifts currently are:- Squats 365 for 2-3 reps, Deadlift 405 for 1-2 reps, Bench 225 for 1-2 reps. (Lbs all, right triceps injury doesn't let me press much)

I feel the biggest help has been the Skipping Rope, it's least talked about, nobody much I see using it, and it's something you can carry anywhere with you on travel etc.
It has my vote on being an essential hack in your fitness quest/regime. Try and get a heavy one which will help keep a good momentum, the lighter ones I tried end up spoiling my rhythm and also get stuck too often.
The HIIT on treadmill is best done away from Leg days, as the Hams and Glutes end up in cramps, but it's fun and some days when I don't have enough time I just do 20-30 mins of this and I'm out of the gym.

Hope this helps you guys!
Old 24th October 2016, 20:45   #4361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Then I searched some more and realized that people have indeed got their protein powder and other stuff checked for protein content and then some additional checks for restricted elements and steroid. Has anyone here done something similar? Its an excellent way to determine what's going in your body and whether that 95% protein claim is any good.
I was looking for a lab to test a batch I received from a Delhi based dealer in Raw WPC, however I am not sure what the cost will be to test a sample.
Old 25th October 2016, 13:48   #4362
Senior - BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/55043116.cms

Winner of Mr. Asia. Looking at his diet which is
"I am maintaining my position with a rich daily diet that includes 750 gms of chicken, 25 eggs, 300 gms of rice, 200 gms of vegetables along with fish for extra protein and fruits," he said

You need lots of motivation to even eat !
Old 27th October 2016, 14:47   #4363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I was looking for a lab to test a batch I received from a Delhi based dealer in Raw WPC, however I am not sure what the cost will be to test a sample.
Anywhere between 1-2k depending on how exhaustive you want the results to be. Primarily if you are looking for just protein percentage then it shouldn't be too far from a ball park of 1k.
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:21   #4364
BHPian

wHi Guys,

Still in my never ending "cutting" phase. At the start of my weight loss I weighed around 84 Kgs and as of today morning my weight is 73 Kgs. I lost 11 Kgs but it took me more than 6 months to reach here so this is not that great of an achievement.

My target is to reach around 65 kgs and then start a lean bulk and maintain the weight around 72 kgs.

Biggest hindrance in my fitness goals is that I get up every single night and eat junk food.I will eat 1600 calories during the day but then I wake up at night to eat trash like biscuits, namkeen , chips , ice cream etc.

I have tried every single thing to control this but no success till now. We have stopped buying junk food but then I get up and eat bread jam with mil or dates or something.
I wake up every morning feeling depressed embarrassment about my beige eating previous night.

I read somewhere that taking a ZMA supplement can be very helpfull as it is sleep inducing etc. I tried that but not of much use. I never face trouble falling asleep. Its just that I wake up in the night to eat all that trash.

And yes my dinner is well in place. I make sure to reserve my calories so that I can eat a big dinner.

Anyone of you facing similar situation?

Last edited by prashant.dinkar : 3rd November 2016 at 16:23.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:08   #4365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Still in my never ending "cutting" phase. At the start of my weight loss I weighed around 84 Kgs and as of today morning my weight is 73 Kgs. I lost 11 Kgs but it took me more than 6 months to reach here so this is not that great of an achievement.

My target is to reach around 65 kgs and then start a lean bulk and maintain the weight around 72 kgs.
What is your height and age? 11 kgs in 6 months seems like a pretty decent effort to me!

And your approach to cutting and then gaining seems to be the most commonly suggested one all over the internet but does it really work that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post

I have tried every single thing to control this but no success till now.
Do you wake up because you are feeling hungry or is it just out of habit? Have you always woken up in the middle of the night to eat something? You might want to try casein though. It is a slow release protein and might help in curbing these pangs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks