Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2015, 18:10   #4096
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Intensity is never a problem with me you've got to read what all I've gone through AND going through so its not really the problem at all.

My weak areas i.e. chest and biceps aren't going to be trained differently in gym so I don't really feel the need. I've started to see the change so I know something is going right.

With a squat rack, bench, barbell & zig-zag bar (whatever its called) I'd have enough to form a more than complete workout, have already got the dumbbells and pull-up bar.

Again, what works for me might not work for you and vice versa but I enjoy working out at home and don't really see any reason to do it otherwise. What I need is to get this equipment at home after Diwali and see how this changes things.
Intensity is a very subjective term I also used to think that I had an intensity packed workout till the time a trainer actually showed me what intensity is
However if you are happy with your workout then nothing like it.
First the equipment that you want would be expensive I mean moderately good equipment will cost a bit. The zig zag bar is called a EZ bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Do you have anybody to spot for you? With squat and bench press, it is all the more important that you have someone to help you out.
That was what I was also trying to say its very important for someone to spot for you but then this is when you want to push your limits, if you want a comfortable weight for x no. of reps then its perfectly ok, to do it alone.
Old 16th November 2015, 14:45   #4097
Senior - BHPian

I'm not going to be lifting extremely heavy weights so spotter wouldn't be needed. Unless I can do 15-20 reps (3-5 sets) with a weight I wouldn't up the weight anymore.

I'll visit Decathlon store within the next 2 weeks to check out the squat rack in person along with the bench. Lets see how it works out.
Old 20th November 2015, 10:06   #4098
BHPian

I see that multiple people mentioned lifting heavy within this thread. Let me share my own personal experience. Over the past year or so, I have stuck to moderate weights and really high reps.

In fact, I do something called drop sets (Google for details) and circuits with very little to no interval between my sets.

A muscle grows as long as its challenged to push beyond what it's capable of. One can achieve the same thing by doing drop sets even with light or moderate weights.

The weird thing is, as long as I worked heavy weights, I saw good results, but everything exploded the moment I cut down the weights, slowed down my reps and stuck to drop sets.

Of course, another major portion is the diet you take. A person with an okay workout but proper diet will get twice the results in comparison to a person with intense workout and improper diet.
Old 1st December 2015, 10:10   #4099
Senior - BHPian

Fellow Bhpians,this is the first time I am venturing into this thread as I never knew a thread like this existed. I am grossly overweight around 120Kgs. I would like to reduce my weight but at the same time build a good physique but am a bit confused. How much does weight training play an important role in weight loss? Right now am doing Cardio (since two weeks).Should I start doing both simultaneously? Also I mostly avoid running as I know those 120kgs will shatter my knees in no time.
Old 1st December 2015, 10:20   #4100
Team-BHP Support

Yes, running does kill the knees. Mainly because people don't condition their knee and ankle muscles. Running is an high impact workout for the legs, so strong muscles are required to cushion the impact.

I suggest you start with brisk walks, which has less impact on the legs. Say walk at 5-6kms/hour for an hour. Do it everyday, do that alone for 2-3 months first. Don't rush it, just watch what that does.

Last edited by Samurai : 1st December 2015 at 12:06.
Old 1st December 2015, 11:50   #4101
Senior - BHPian

Squats and calf rises are so simple that one can do them between weights. It strengthens your legs and you can do them with just body weight. Just do them the right way.
Old 1st December 2015, 14:37   #4102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I would like to reduce my weight but at the same time build a good physique but am a bit confused.
Forget the good physique part for a while. Focus on improving your stamina and do some body resistance training with cardio so that your workout (whether its running/jogging/aerobics) is not boring and you gradually build strength also.

Avoid weights as body resistance training would prevent any injury for you and once you are down on your body fat then initiate weight training, that'd be my thought.
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:20   #4103
BHPian

Hi guys,
Hows Ultimate nutrition 100% prostar whey? or syntha 6? Which is better?

I have been working out for a couple of years now however my diet doent seem to be enough.Since i am constantly on the move due to my job i find it difficult to make my diet solid,as sometimes in the past when i have tried to eat well outside i have ended up with a bad stomach and then travelling with a bad stomach is a nightmare.

I target about 2780 calories to bulk but sometimes due to travel i end up eating as low as 1400 calories leading to a serious deficit.

Can you guys suggest something to sort this issue.Would making protein shakes with fruits be a better option to complete targeted calorie consumption? Should i go for whey with fruits or a mass gainer(worried abt fat gain).

Something like a meal replacement that i could make and carry and have them.

Any suggestions about any good mass gainers/whey protien. i was inclined towards syntha as its a blend.

Please do suggest.
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:33   #4104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Can you guys suggest something to sort this issue.Would making protein shakes with fruits be a better option to complete targeted calorie consumption? Should i go for whey with fruits or a mass gainer(worried abt fat gain).
I use ON Whey Protein and have been happy with the results. I have a couple of flavors always at home. If having "neat", I prefer the chocolate based flavors. I also have milkshakes, especially banana milkshakes in which I put a scoop of vanilla flavored protein. The benefits are that it tastes good, you don't need sugar and can carry with you to work etc.

Also, it's a myth that protein helps in fat gain - FACT: this is absolutely bull. I had plateaued in my weight loss around May when I started 3 egg whites and protein powder as an integral part of my diet. I have since then lost 7-8 kg without much focus on dieting but with good focus on training. I religiously train 4-6 times a week including LIIT, HIIT, zumba and weights.

Egg whites again can be boiled in the morning and carried as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. Check out the egg boilers available online for around Rs 500-700. Protein powders can also be carried around.

You can also check out protein bars as a snacky alternative.

Good luck!
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:59   #4105
Senior - BHPian

So I have a squat rack and bench in place. Now is the turn to buy a barbell and some weights. I'd checked the barbells at Decathlon and the feel was premium but wasn't sure which was the right length (or width) for me. Not to mention, their barbells only work with 28mm weights which aren't very common. They've done so to ensure that weights are also bought from Decathlon which don't retail very cheap.

My question is to first figure out how wide the barbell should be (I'm 5'8") and where to buy it from (online is good till the time its good quality material). Of course it should be compatible with most commonly found weights (is that 24-26mm?).
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:50   #4106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I have a squat rack and bench in place.
Pics please.

In term of barbell length, the inner portion (for lack of a better term) between the weights should be wider than your rack. Quite obvious but thought I should mention. And I prefer long bars for dead lifts. So if I were in your place, I would get the longest bar I can handle without struggling.
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:17   #4107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pics please.
The rack is the same one I was eyeing earlier but picked an even better model of the bench.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-new-image2.jpg

Quote:
In term of barbell length, the inner portion (for lack of a better term) between the weights should be wider than your rack. Quite obvious but thought I should mention.
I'm glad that you mentioned it else I might have landed with a 3ft bar, who knows!

The rack has adjustments wherein I can adjust the spacing from 1 mtr to 1.2 mtr. Assuming I work with maximum spacing I'd need a 6 ft bar at least.
Quote:
And I prefer long bars for dead lifts. So if I were in your place, I would get the longest bar I can handle without struggling.
I guess I have to look for bars that are 6ft or longer. What's the common size 6ft or above? Any pointers to check something out online?
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:37   #4108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess I have to look for bars that are 6ft or longer. What's the common size 6ft or above? Any pointers to check something out online?
Google says that standard Olympic bars are 7ft long and weigh 20kg. The center portion is 1inch in diameter while the ends (which hold the weight) are 2 inches in diameter.
You can probably measure the center holes in your existing weights and then get a bar that supports them. But then again, if your existing weights are non-standard size you might end up with a non-standard bar which will make adding additional weights difficult at a later date. Hope I have managed to confuse you enough
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:55   #4109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can probably measure the center holes in your existing weights and then get a bar that supports them.
I barely have enough weights right now and would be purchasing more soon.

I think what makes sense is to figure out what are the most commonly available (and cheap) weights right now and accordingly get a bar. I'm assuming 24-25mm would be the most common ones but most of the sellers don't mention the diameter.

Let me try contacting some sellers who are offering rubber weights and see what dia their weights are and then head for the right barbell. Thanks a lot!!
Old 10th December 2015, 17:01   #4110
Senior - BHPian

So I was able to contact a seller who has 28mm size weights. Most of you would know I'm a beginner so I was thinking of getting the following weights shipped to me.
20kg x 2
10kg x 2
5kg x 2
3kg x 2

I already have 2kg x 4 and 1kg x 4 (all 28mm) so I guess this should be adequate for a while and allow for a gradual progression with weights, what do you guys think?

Last edited by fine69 : 10th December 2015 at 17:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks