Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 23:37   #3646
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I am getting cookies and cream of the 100% Whey Gold standard for prices comparable to HK, here in Chennai, in the 2LB pack. I don't even know what to make of this flavor.

Is it tasty enough? I don't want to buy 3000 bucks worth of chalk (what i felt nutrilite was) again! HELP!
Sir I'm sorry, I am not aware of the flavours. But I believe a bit of googling will definitely give you an idea, as to what people usually prefer and what they have to say about the different flavours.

-Bhargav
Old 5th July 2014, 00:52   #3647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting cookies and cream of the 100% Whey Gold standard for prices comparable to HK, here in Chennai, in the 2LB pack. I don't even know what to make of this flavor.

Is it tasty enough? I don't want to buy 3000 bucks worth of chalk (what i felt nutrilite was) again! HELP!
I have tried the cookies and cream flavor of Isopure:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/natur...5#.U7b9841dVuA

It tastes ok, although a bit on the sweeter side. When it comes to whey, anything that does not induce a gag reflex, qualifies as "ok" in my books
Besides, if you don't like its taste, you can always alter it to some extent by adding some fruit. Banana is a popular choice, though i have never tried this.
Old 5th July 2014, 08:48   #3648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I have tried the cookies and cream flavor of Isopure:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/natur...5#.U7b9841dVuA

It tastes ok, although a bit on the sweeter side. When it comes to whey, anything that does not induce a gag reflex, qualifies as "ok" in my books
Besides, if you don't like its taste, you can always alter it to some extent by adding some fruit. Banana is a popular choice, though i have never tried this.
Sirjee,

You know the expression up north - I'm a fair bit of a chindi chor when it comes to supplements, I just cannot reconcile the price-value equation. After all the stuff about nutrilite, I thought its just a protein, so what if it doesn't taste bad enough, I'll just "wash it down". BAD CALL!

So your post is scaring me considering its a 3000 investment this time. I'd rather buy two t-shirts or a new bicycle tire!
Old 5th July 2014, 12:23   #3649
BANNED

Quote:
Sirjee,

You know the expression up north - I'm a fair bit of a chindi chor when it comes to supplements, I just cannot reconcile the price-value equation. After all the stuff about nutrilite, I thought its just a protein, so what if it doesn't taste bad enough, I'll just "wash it down". BAD CALL!

So your post is scaring me considering its a 3000 investment this time. I'd rather buy two t-shirts or a new bicycle tire!
LOL. What adds taste to food are carbohydrates and fats. Protein and taste are not good friends.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:39   #3650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let's be contrarian, slay some mass hysteria and spread general all-around peace for once?
And you still have fallen for the protein supplement powder/cookie/bar hysteria?

Quote:
Exactly, in fact you would definitely have idea about how much food you can buy with Rs 3000, which would actually serve your needs instead of the "supplements" which just serve to satisfy the hysteria fueled beliefs (and ego).

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Any feedback on Anabolic Nitro Whey by Matrix Nutrition and Super Creatine by APN?
You mean review as in how better Anabolic nitro whey made one look (muscles) or how much more it allowed one to lift (strength)?
Hahaha, even the research labs of supplement companies cannot prove it.

Your question about creatine though is very pertinent. And people actually may be able to tell you how much muscles they put on and how much strength they gained.

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th July 2014 at 11:45.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:53   #3651
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
And you still have fallen for the protein supplement powder/cookie/bar hysteria?

Exactly, in fact you would definitely have idea about how much food you can buy with Rs 3000, which would actually serve your needs instead of the "supplements" which just serve to satisfy the hysteria fueled beliefs (and ego).
Well said. Nothing beats a wholesome meal.
Old 7th July 2014, 13:32   #3652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Agreed - which is why I've been asking about it for two months now but NOT made a purchase. We fell for nutrilite once - I'm not buying anything on impulse now!

On another note, a doctor flagged me for two potential issues - gluten intolerance (wheat) and hives/rashes caused by egg consumption (I have 3-5 eggs daily, 60% white). Something like that means I'd rather become a chickentarian or consume protein shakes. Hence the query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Well said. Nothing beats a wholesome meal.
Agreed. But after going clearly above a century of weight, desperate times call for desperate measures.
Old 7th July 2014, 15:34   #3653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha. Yes it is a bit of an investment, specially when YMMV.

It works for me when i need a carb free source of protein that i can prepare in under a minute. And the Isopure doesn't taste all that bad either. I have tried Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard too although it is not absolutely carb free. But it tasted ok as well. I think Nutrilite is probably one of the worst tasting. So, as long as you don't go for Nutrilite, you can only do better
Old 7th July 2014, 17:26   #3654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. But after going clearly above a century of weight, desperate times call for desperate measures.
But desperate measure do not mean increase your protein intake.
In terms of losing fat, a calorie is a calorie and always remains a calorie.
Whether you get it from sucrose, glucose, fructose, starch, amino acid, fatty acid, alcohol or what not. Remember during the course of evolution, our bodies have become extremely efficient at converting every possible source of energy to fat for storage and later use during zero food periods.

If >100 kg weight translates to higher than desired fat, then ONLY reducing everything that you eat and drink will solve the problem.

An overweight person (not assuming that you are) who cannot stay hungry for at least 4-6 hours after starting to feel hungry can NEVER EVER lose fat, unless he does some chemical and hormonal wizardry on this body.

One cannot (falsely) believe "let me have that protein bar instead of the britannia cookie" and kid himself into thinking that such replacement will reduce fat on the body. It will not since both offer calories to your body, which is doesn't want and hence files and stores it in fat deposits. (You may have a question: but my body feels hungry* all the time).

The amount of crap that is floating on the TV/print/internet/gym/dieticians/(and doctors too) is exasperatingly exacerbating.
At the turn of the last century (early 1900s) proteins were the evil child. During the mid of the last century fats become the whipping boy. At the closure of the last century carbs starting attracting the flak (and remains so till today).
The problem is very simple = you eat more than your body needs, your body talks back.

*most of the times, body doesn't need food when you get hunger pangs. The brain, when it is idle or under duress, craves for glucose. Compare two days of your life: one where you have been extremely busy with work/activity and another where you were sitting in front of TV. What was the gross food and drink intake (sum of entire day)? Do you think your body requires more food while watching TV the entire day compared to the other day?

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th July 2014 at 17:39.
Old 7th July 2014, 23:27   #3655
BHPian

Quote:
+1000

Phamilyman - I was (rather still am) in same situation as yours.
I hit a peak of 118Kg in March and has now bought it back to 87, I still need to reduce another 7-8 Kgs or so.

What I had done
- Drastic reduction in Food. Overall calorie count < 1400 per day.
- Lifting and Running - 6-7 days a week.

Food.
- Breakfast - Whole Grain toast + Peanut butter/ Oatmeal / Egg Sandwich.

- Lunch - Veggies+ 2 Egg Whites (Cucumber, Spinach, Baby Carrot, Lettuce etc)
- Dinner - Fat Free Milk + 1.5 Scoops Whey protein powder + Frozen Blue berries(Optional).

Excercise
- I run atleast 3 miles every day. I developed the endurance over a period of a month. Earlier,i used to complete 3 miles in 45 minutes, and now its under 25-30 mins.

- I lift atleast 6 days in a week.

The Whey Protein, - That I use
- Syntha 6 (Chocolate) - Best Tasting but higher Carb profile.
- ON Gold Standard (Chocolate) - Very Good Taste.
- ON Performance Whey Isolate (Chocolate) - Very good Taste
- MP Combat Cookies & Cream - Very good Taste
- Myofusion (Chocolate) - I didn't like the taste.

Key thing like alpha1 suggested is to lower your overall calorie intake and Exercise a lot more and drink lots of water.

My Diet was a bit extreme, but then my weight was extreme as well.
Old 7th July 2014, 23:57   #3656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Increasing protein intake can lead to reduced calorie intake, while also reducing hunger pangs. Problem solved! See example below.

Quote:
One cannot (falsely) believe "let me have that protein bar instead of the britannia cookie" and kid himself into thinking that such replacement will reduce fat on the body. It will not since both offer calories to your body, which is doesn't want and hence files and stores it in fat deposits. (You may have a question: but my body feels hungry* all the time).
While i agree in general to your points, the highlighted part seems to be lacking in numbers to be judged wrong or right. The amount of cookies you will need to eat to get the same level of satiety that one protein bar will provide, will surely tip the scales (literally) in favor of the protein bar. If one can stop at one cookie, then well and good. But we can't really compare the two and deem one to be same as other without bringing quantities into equation. And proteins do lead to reduced hunger pangs.

It may seem like splitting hairs but then again, i only used it as an example to show why increasing protein intake can help in weight loss.
Old 8th July 2014, 10:39   #3657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
While i agree in general to your points, the highlighted part seems to be lacking in numbers to be judged wrong or right. The amount of cookies you will need to eat to get the same level of satiety that one protein bar will provide, will surely tip the scales (literally) in favor of the protein bar. If one can stop at one cookie, then well and good. But we can't really compare the two and deem one to be same as other without bringing quantities into equation. And proteins do lead to reduced hunger pangs.

It may seem like splitting hairs but then again, i only used it as an example to show why increasing protein intake can help in weight loss.
My point was only about the thing that staying hungry for a few hours is not going to kill anyone. Hence giving in to this hunger via eating protein bar (instead of reaching out for that Milano or Cadburys) will only kill the discipline necessary for reducing fat. The actual calorie count of such a protein bar or a cookie would perhaps be peanuts (perhaps about 100-150 kcals) in the daily scheme of things (1500-2000 kcal).

Another similar example of giving in to the desires and thus causing indiscipline is when people embark on exercise. They feel that wow now that I am exercising I can eat anything to any extent because the exercise will take care of the calorie expenditure. But it doesn't happen that way. People can eat up to 4000-5000 kcal daily easily when they are on super gorging mode. What would be the caloric expenditure while extremely strenuous and prolonged continuous exercising? Perhaps about 300-500 kcal per hour.
Old 8th July 2014, 12:13   #3658
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Totally in sync with Alpha. Had it not been some urgent work would have replied in a similar vein yesterday .

What I would like to add. Keep a balanced wholesome diet. During dieting hunger is a big issue and that's where a meal and not a supplement will come to your rescue.

During this time you also need to keep your stomach full to keep hunger pangs at bay and food not supplement will help you. All the more reason to ditch whey and go for chicken. And most importantly, whey is fast dissolving (that's the reason for its popularity) and will be quickly digested, fulfilling your protein requirement and hardly full.

If at all you want a protein supplement, use casein instead of whey. It is slow digesting, remains in your stomach for, improves satiety and, most importantly, tastes good.

As far as calorie is concerned keep it about 500 less than you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
- Drastic reduction in Food. Overall calorie count < 1400 per day. My Diet was a bit extreme, but then my weight was extreme as well.
Boss, your diet, apart from reducing your weight will also, god forbid, damage your body. Some of the cases I have come across include appendix burst, weakness, loss of bone density and rectal bleeding (due to excessively high fibre diet). Another pitfall is that once you are off it your body will come back with vengeance and undo all your efforts.

If I am not wrong ~1400 cal is bare minimum to sustain human body. Yes bodybuilders practice it but it is not for more than 4 weeks which again is interspersed with 2 high cal days every week.

Others please comment.
Old 8th July 2014, 13:04   #3659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whether you get it from sucrose, glucose, fructose, starch, amino acid, fatty acid, alcohol or what not.
Very apt post

I think if you are over 100 and aim is to reduce weight what you may want to increase is fibre and water content and cut down on food.

How about some Isabgol powder with pure water to fill up your stomach cavity and fight hunger pangs ? I am not joking it is best form of natural soluble fibre people use it for stomach elements but can be used for filling as well.

In some cases if suppose internal organs have expanded too much and person feels always hungry then bariatric surgery may be required.

OK enough of scaremongering but suppose you want to cut on weight include a lots of green beans like guar , flatbeens ( Sem in Hindi) , yard long beans as they are full of soluble fibre and protein.
Old 8th July 2014, 15:52   #3660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The actual calorie count of such a protein bar or a cookie would perhaps be peanuts (perhaps about 100-150 kcals) in the daily scheme of things (1500-2000 kcal).
Initially, when you are cutting down on calories to reduce your weight, every bit counts! 150kcals is 10% of your whole calorie requirement!! Wont exactly call it peanuts. Besides, just looking at the calorie amount is not the right way to judge a food either. You have to look at the source of those calories. If it is from pure sugar, then the body will burn those calories quickly, and you will feel hungry again very soon.

And the idea behind cutting down carbs is so that the body starts burning the fat that it has stored for the long winter that is never going to come. It has worked quite well for me!

Quote:
Another similar example of giving in to the desires and thus causing indiscipline is when people embark on exercise. They feel that wow now that I am exercising I can eat anything to any extent because the exercise will take care of the calorie expenditure.
That I agree.

The best way to get your weight under control is not to go on a diet and exercising spree, but to change your diet and make exercise a part of your routine.

I often used to skip breakfast and make up for it in lunch. What a fool i was! Now, I ensure I have a good breakfast (again nothing lavish like 4 aloo parathas!! Simple filled omelette with a paratha and a glass of milk is enough) and my lunch on most days is salad of green vegetables. Dinner usually is 2 rotis with lots of vegetables and/or pulses. In between meals i snack on cucumber and nuts. And of course 90 minutes of workout 4 to 5 times a day, followed by Isopure protein.

Switching to above lifestyle has brought my weight down from 225 pounds to 200 pounds. And that is where i intend to keep it. I feel that is good for me. I no longer feel winded merely climbing two flights of stairs!

So, yes. Protein shakes or weight loss pills or any other single item are not some miracle drug that will help you lose weight in isolation. It has to be a holistic approach where you overhaul your diet and adopt a more active lifestyle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks