Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 15:18   #3526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Guys,

Need your help/advice on the following matter.

Some background:
Beginning of March last year I weighed around 94 kilos. Had never been to a gym and the last time I played sports regularly was almost a decade ago. So I was overweight and had a lot of body fat

Cut to September last year, I reduced my weight to 82-83 kgs. For 6 months did a lot of running and cardio exercises in the gym.

Since September, I started to concentrate more on doing weights and have been regularly going to the gym. But that doesn't mean I have deserted cardio altogether. (I run to the gym - so a 2 km roundtrip almost everyday)

Now the problem: my weight has shot up to 88-89kg. What could be the reason for this? What is wrong or what am i doing wrong? Because I have never been more regular to the gym, as I have been in the last 6 months, plus I am very careful of what I eat.

PS: I didn't ticker with my diet anytime while I became a regular to the gym. It is what my family eats.

Thanks alpha1. That was a nicely explained post.
First of all Kudos for taking an initiative and losing the excess weight.

Now about your query , iv lost and maintained my weight (shared Here ) for about a year now and what iv experienced is that unless you go into into a caloric deficit you wont lose weight. Its unlikely that you've gained 6kg of muscle mass in 6 months ,so i would suggest you to take a closer look at your diet and change it according to your goals.
For ex - I eat 3 meals a day and they are generally low fat and high protein meals. A good/balanced diet is the most important thing when it comes to maintaining a healthy body Imho, if you`re eating the wrong kind of food then even working out regularly wont be of much help.
Old 21st February 2014, 19:08   #3527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Just wanted to ask you - why just one day for lower body compared to 4 days(!) for upper?
I don't know! The trainer set that routine. What is a good routine in your mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
A good/balanced diet is the most important thing when it comes to maintaining a healthy body Imho,
Hi Faithless_1984, you are right about the balanced diet. I am confident that we cook one at home. I just don't want to set an agenda on food or look at it as calories/number of meal etc. The agenda has been set by the family and I love to follow that. What I have done and would want to continue to do is shun outside food.
Old 24th February 2014, 10:51   #3528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know! The trainer set that routine. What is a good routine in your mind?
Good Routine in my opinion should be based on the fatigue levels.
For example: I can do 50 body weight squats. Perhaps I can push that number to 100 squats. I may be able to do this everyday. But if I were to do the squat with 100 kg on my back - even 20 reps everyday would kill me.

So the good routine question is a real debatable point.
Also it depends a lot on the exercises that you chose.
If you do front raises / lateral raises etc for shoulder - then they can be placed anywhere.
BUT if you do overhead presses, remember that bench press and overhead presses BOTH fatigue the front deltoids to a very large extent. So you would need a gap of a day. OR place them both on same day.

Similarly if your back day has rows and/or deadlifts - your lower back would be fatigued and doing squats the next day would be near impossible.

Biceps and triceps are peanuts and they can easily be combined with any other day - doesn't cause much fatigue.

IF you chose your exercises for the body part, then we can arrive at what would be least fatiguing routine for you.
Old 27th February 2014, 23:30   #3529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Shoulders
Day 3: Bicep/tricep
Day 4: Back
Day 5: Typically miss it
Day 6: Lower body
Add variations to your exercise routine.

Once your body 'learns' an exercise pattern the effort required goes down.

Suppose till now if you are doing all push based exercises such as bench press, dumbbell press etc. then add pull based such as cable pulls or cattle bell swings.

Add compund exercises rather then focusing on target muscle groups alone.
A compound exercise is where 2 or more joints are flexed.

While lifting weights change pattern example alter between clean & jerk and snatch every few weeks.

If possible do functional training for 1or 2 days a week.
Old 9th March 2014, 16:19   #3530
Senior - BHPian

Any review of www.muscleguru.in ? They have whey protein powder at quite good rates.
Old 10th March 2014, 14:41   #3531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Any review of www.muscleguru.in ? They have whey protein powder at quite good rates.
Review from my side is excellent.
I have ordered quite a few of the protein goodies for my wife who abstains from anything that has significant proteins (no, she is not a vegan/vegatarian, she actually likes paya and stuff!).

Review about protein powders in general - absolutely unnecessary, marketing hype based stuff, only feeds the pockets of the marketers (not even the manufacturers). No proof ever obtained whether they actually contribute anything.

Muscleguru has been very very prompt, never had a case where they have mentioned something available but turns out of stock. Also they confirm the orders over phone by calling you. Price is amongst the best in India.

Delivery is surprisingly fast (reaches me in about 2 days from ordering).
Old 10th March 2014, 18:09   #3532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Are you vegetarian? I have always wondered about people squandering money on whey protein, when protein can so easily be consumed. If you are a non veggie, just abt 100 gms of any fish would give you 25 odd gms of protein. If you are a veggie, you could consume nuts. Please abstain from processed nutrition.
Old 11th March 2014, 11:57   #3533
BANNED

Agreed protein powder is useless. For most of us the recommended dosage is 0.5x weight in pounds.

But if you are in BB you'll need it, just to supplement protein's daily requirement, which is around 1g multiplied by your body weight in pounds. Plus whey is quickly digested and it is highly recommended to take it within 30 min of your exercise.

During bulking phase one can do away with whey if you are meeting your daily requirement through diet. But if you are in cutting phase when you've to consume 1.5X while at the same time cut down on your carb (which during one phase for 2 weeks comes down to as low as 0.5X) you can't give it a miss. During this time both forms of protein, whey as well as casein comes handy. And remember the best of the cutting phase lasts for just 6 weeks.

Last edited by anandjha : 11th March 2014 at 11:59.
Old 11th March 2014, 13:54   #3534
BHPian

Pull up bar at home

Guys,

Hello!
Anyone of you have installed a pull up bar at home?
My flat is under construction now, so I would like to look at an option at least to get the fasteners/holes in position before painting happens.

I have seen door frame mounted pull up bars on the net.
Not sure about how "strong" door frames are here.

Recommendations are welcome.

Ace.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:05   #3535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Agreed protein powder is useless. For most of us the recommended dosage is 0.5x weight in pounds.

But if you are in BB you'll need it, just to supplement protein's daily requirement, which is around 1g multiplied by your body weight in pounds. Plus whey is quickly digested and it is highly recommended to take it within 30 min of your exercise.

During bulking phase one can do away with whey if you are meeting your daily requirement through diet. But if you are in cutting phase when you've to consume 1.5X while at the same time cut down on your carb (which during one phase for 2 weeks comes down to as low as 0.5X) you can't give it a miss. During this time both forms of protein, whey as well as casein comes handy. And remember the best of the cutting phase lasts for just 6 weeks.

Going by that calc: If my weight is about 200 lb - eating and absorbing 200 g proteins daily should make me gain 200 g pure muscles everyday (provided I am getting the required calories from carbs).
Which means 2 kg every 10 days. Which means about 6 kg every month. Now this is the mass of muscles, muscles also contain water so let me add that (water is typically 80%, protein 20%). So what is the gain in muscular mass (protein + water) = 30 kg per month!
And I have not included fat gains yet.

But the truth is it doesn't happen this way. It has more to do with how efficiently your body actually utilizes the proteins available in the bloodstream. The Testosterone.

Since most of the normal human beings have normal (read as low in bodybuilding terms) T levels (coupled with our modern lifestyle which reduce it even further) - they simply don't have capabilities to gain such spectacular levels of muscle or in other words utilize the high amount of proteins in their blood streams.

So is 1g per lb guideline really set in stone?

Also what is so great about fast protein digestion? There is no protein available in nature abundantly (eggs, meat) which gets digested this fast.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:45   #3536
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Going by that calc: If my weight is about 200 lb - eating and absorbing 200 g proteins daily should make me gain 200 g pure muscles everyday (provided I am getting the required calories from carbs).
Now this is stretching the logic. If one could build muscles just by taking adquate protein, everyone would be Arnold or even his baap.

Even though this is bodybuilding thread I had clearly mentioned that this calculation is for BB (that is bodybuilding). What builds muscles is weight training and proper diet (which is a combination of protein, carb, fat, vitamins and minerals). If you don't weight train then you will simply pass it through stool.

Coming to testosterone, what is needed to make it is fat. And again the calculation for it stands at 05gXweight (LBS). And, as in case of other nutrient, it should come from a variety of sources.

And no 1lb per pound of body weight is not set in stone. But since the maintenance level is at around 0.5, I think that's the standard practise. You are free to tweak the values according to results. People world over are doing it.

Last edited by anandjha : 11th March 2014 at 14:56.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:51   #3537
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pull up bar at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

Ace.
Door frames in India are pretty strong. I use this one, it is very good. They do ship to India.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:56   #3538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Hello!
Anyone of you have installed a pull up bar at home?
My flat is under construction now, so I would like to look at an option at least to get the fasteners/holes in position before painting happens.

Ace.
Check this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3235871

I've seen this at many fitness shops - recently at a shop at Millennium mall at Velachery, Chennai
Old 11th March 2014, 16:34   #3539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Door frames in India are pretty strong. I use this one, it is very good. They do ship to India.
Thanks!
I have it bookmarked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Thank you, mallumowgli!
I went through your shared post (& related discussion).
--
Since my flat is under-construction as of now - Could I do some drilling to have a super sturdy (perhaps ceiling mounted) Pull up bar arrangement?

These seem fine too - but, somehow I feel it's less sturdy - when compared to something bolted into concrete.
(that too - something like Hilti bolts or fasteners)

Okay- one question to you both, Samurai & mallumowgli:
Would you say the respective instruments are sturdy - even if you are doing a rep & you kinda-miss and come down suddenly, will the jerk bring the thing down?

/have seen too many fail videos on youtube- I am scared of doing the regular stuff these days! jeez!/

thank you for the prompt help!

Ace.
Old 11th March 2014, 16:43   #3540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
/have seen too many fail videos on Youtube- I am scared of doing the regular stuff these days! jeez!/

thank you for the prompt help!

Ace.
Now that you have put this question - I, too, am feeling a bit jittery . (just kidding).

But your apartment is under construction and you are saying you can incorporate something into the structure itself, then why not do it? that's the best way, in my opinion. I dont know how much weight a bolted to the ceiling bar can take. It would be ideal if it is possible to make a simply supported type metal bar anywhere - like a gap in the overhead rack that can support a bar in between or something like that

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks