Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2014, 12:22   #3481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today at 12PM, I did 5 sets as follows: 50 + 70 + 50 + 50 + 100!!!
[I had even missed breakfast today]

Attachment 1189444

Thanks Amit. Took me little less than 5 months to go from 50 to 100. Now I gotta pick a new fitness goal... may be pullups.

I remember I could do about 60-70 pushups when I was in coll undergrad.
However, I also remember that those 60-70 pushups were done with fast eccentric. Doing them in strict fashion (= explosive concentric, and slow eccentric) was trembling and humbling experience (I knew only one guy who could do some 75 in that fashion)

Actually since you are already conditioned for push ups - why not try the parallel bar dips? Dips and pull ups are definitely more chic than push ups ... don't you agree? (more gymnastics like, normal ppl less likely to complete even one rep)

Another way cool exercise would be single leg squat (I think they call it pistols)!!
Old 13th January 2014, 12:51   #3482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
However, I also remember that those 60-70 pushups were done with fast eccentric. Doing them in strict fashion (= explosive concentric, and slow eccentric) was trembling and humbling experience (I knew only one guy who could do some 75 in that fashion)
Even I do it in fast eccentric.

Quote:
Actually since you are already conditioned for push ups - why not try the parallel bar dips? Dips and pull ups are definitely more chic than push ups ... don't you agree? (more gymnastics like, normal ppl less likely to complete even one rep)
The trouble is equipment. I haven't been to a gym since 1997. I just need a flat ground to do my workouts.
Old 13th January 2014, 13:02   #3483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today at 12PM, I did 5 sets as follows: 50 + 70 + 50 + 50 + 100!!.
320 push-ups in 5 sets - that's amazing!

What was the duration of the breaks between sets? Also, if you have recorded the day-wise ramp-up of your version of the hundred push-ups program, could you please share it here?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 13th January 2014 at 13:03.
Old 13th January 2014, 13:21   #3484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
320 push-ups in 5 sets - that's amazing!
Actually, the total count doesn't mean much. I had hit 320 a while back by doing 55+70+55+55+85. But then I realised I was tiring myself by doing too much in the warm-up sets. So I dropped it to 50-70-50-50, so that I aim for the max in the last set when I am fully warmed up. The main difference between the 20s and the 40s, is the warmup period. As one gets older, warm up becomes very important.

Quote:
What was the duration of the breaks between sets? Also, if you have recorded the day-wise ramp-up of your version of the hundred push-ups program, could you please share it here?
At first I followed the 2 minute break, but it was too much for my old body. Then I stretched it to 4-5 minutes, and I break for 10 minutes before the final set. That is why total count is meaningless, just look at the max count, which is the last set. Also, the upper body stamina has really improved. There is no strict ramp-up schedule. I just listen to my body and ramp accordingly.
Old 16th January 2014, 13:41   #3485
Team-BHP Support

Although I could do 10-15 pullups in the 90s, I can't do a single one now. The reason is I am 20 Kgs heavier, and the muscles involved in a pullup get weak if you are not using them much.

So I started off today on a pullup program as outlined the following video. When I watched the video, I thought it was very mild at the beginning. I just have to do a controlled drop, 8 set of 8 reps each. Sounded like a piece of cake.

There is a perfect setup in the children park inside our apartment complex, where I can lift myself using a side bar, and slowly drop in a controlled fall.

Holy cow god! By the time I finished 2 sets, I could feel many new muscles I didn't know I had screaming in agony. And I thought I was just dropping slowing, without any lifting. By the time I reached 5th set, I could barely control the drop. By 6th set, I was dropping like a stone every time. I stopped there and walked away like automaton. I could barely feel or bend any part of my arms. After 3-4 hours I still feel the muscle numbness. Damn, this has been a shock to the system. I know this feeling will stop happening after couple weeks. But, wow... what a feeling when a new set of muscles are put on fire.

Old 16th January 2014, 13:59   #3486
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Holy cow god! By the time I finished 2 sets, I could feel many new muscles I didn't know I had screaming in agony. And I thought I was just dropping slowing, without any lifting. By the time I reached 5th set, I could barely control the drop. By 6th set, I was dropping like a stone every time. I stopped there and walked away like automaton. I could barely feel or bend any part of my arms. After 3-4 hours I still feel the muscle numbness. Damn, this has been a shock to the system. I know this feeling will stop happening after couple weeks. But, wow... what a feeling when a new set of muscles are put on fire.
I guess every new workout does this. While on a heavy wooden rowboat in a choppy windy fjord, we went out quite a bit with me rowing. The currents helped.
As I tried to make it back before nightfall, I realized, that I had to row against the current. I had rowed just once before in my life, and before this all rowing had been in a kayak(quite easier than a wooden heavy boat).
After 30 minutes of panic adrenaline fuelled workout, my arms did not have the strength to even change gears. Took hours for the numbness to go away, and arms ached for days afterwards.
We do have so many muscles we are not even aware about
Old 16th January 2014, 15:03   #3487
Senior - BHPian

Those who think body-weight exercises are for sissies should take a look at this video:

Old 16th January 2014, 22:18   #3488
BHPian

Quote:
Those who think body-weight exercises are for sissies should take a look at this video:

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-mog.jpg

Where would one even start to train for such a thing?

Sometimes I think that I want to train to lift a lot of weights like a powerlifter and sometimes I just want to train enough to aid my cycling or running. And there are times where I think I want to train to become a gymnast. Sometimes, martial arts.

When I say this to my trainer, he discourages any sort of cross-training and asks me to pick one goal and work towards it. And I'm not even sure whether my current goal is what I want to stay with in the long run (given that I only get to cycle on weekends and I haven't touched it the whole of last month: because, unwell). But I can visit the gym 2-3 times a week. Maybe I should change my goal?

Have any of you been in this situation where you're unable to make up your mind as to what to train for (end-goal)? If so, how did you make a decision? If not, what makes you satisfied with whatever it is you are training for?

(This is a more general question and I realise that this topic seems to speak specifically of "body building", but I'm hoping it's okay to post here.)
Old 16th January 2014, 23:35   #3489
BHPian

What do you guys think about kettlebell? I am pretty impressed by a seminar and thinking of joining a two day training program. Does anyone has experience with them?

I heard they are great for building core strength.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:26   #3490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
What do you guys think about kettlebell? I am pretty impressed by a seminar and thinking of joining a two day training program. Does anyone has experience with them?

Kettleball is good, but there is nothing magical compared to good ol' 'bells.
Both are weights. You need to progress with weights (or reps) in both.

In fact my question would be whatever you can do with kettleballs, why can't you do more or less same stuff with dumbells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Attachment 1191781

Sometimes I think that I want to train to lift a lot of weights like a powerlifter and sometimes I just want to train enough to aid my cycling or running. And there are times where I think I want to train to become a gymnast. Sometimes, martial arts.

When I say this to my trainer, he discourages any sort of cross-training and asks me to pick one goal and work towards it. And I'm not even sure whether my current goal is what I want to stay with in the long run (given that I only get to cycle on weekends and I haven't touched it the whole of last month: because, unwell). But I can visit the gym 2-3 times a week. Maybe I should change my goal?

Have any of you been in this situation where you're unable to make up your mind as to what to train for (end-goal)? If so, how did you make a decision? If not, what makes you satisfied with whatever it is you are training for?

(This is a more general question and I realise that this topic seems to speak specifically of "body building", but I'm hoping it's okay to post here.)
Your trainer is right. You can train only for one goal. And to be honest both your goals are at exactly opposite ends of the spectrum (unless you were talking about track cycling sprints and 50 m dash).

Oh everyone on this thread must have faced a similar conundrum (not the same as yours but equally perplexing) = gain muscle OR cut fat.

To answer your question: what would you regret more when you are older (say 5 years down the line)?
Also unless you are looking out to be a pro, I think you can do everything at milder levels. The results won't be fantastic, but you would be better than average Joe in all these things.

So you can do strength training 2 days a week. I don't know which kind of cycling or running are you talking about, but if it is endurance based - then weekends is fine. On the same weekends you can do gymnastics.
The alternate days to strength training can be spent on marshal arts ...

As I said, you won't become champion in any of these - this way. However, that doesn't stop us from playing cricket, football, basketball, snooker, chess, bridge, all at same time ... does it? Then why should it stop you in this case?

Last edited by alpha1 : 17th January 2014 at 11:44.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:35   #3491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In fact my question would be whatever you can do with kettleballs, why can't you do more or less same stuff with dumbells?
Or just bodyweight...

Quote:
Where would one even start to train for such a thing?
At the beginning. Pushups would be a good start.

Quote:
Somewhere in my late 20s I decided that I need a fitness routine that I can maintain into my 60s or 70s. That I why switched to bodyweight and said goodbye to gym. I train for a martial artist's fitness requirement.

PS: Today it hurts to lift my arms above the shoulder level.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th January 2014 at 12:41.
Old 17th January 2014, 22:06   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post

Quote:
Kettleball is good, but there is nothing magical compared to good ol' 'bells.
Both are weights. You need to progress with weights (or reps) in both.

Kettlebells gives you two advantages over other weights:
  • develop explosive power
  • uses more stabiliser muscles
Quote:
Your trainer is right. You can train only for one goal. And to be honest both your goals are at exactly opposite ends of the spectrum (unless you were talking about track cycling sprints and 50 m dash).

Oh everyone on this thread must have faced a similar conundrum (not the same as yours but equally perplexing) = gain muscle OR cut fat.

To answer your question: what would you regret more when you are older (say 5 years down the line)?
Also unless you are looking out to be a pro, I think you can do everything at milder levels. The results won't be fantastic, but you would be better than average Joe in all these things.

So you can do strength training 2 days a week. I don't know which kind of cycling or running are you talking about, but if it is endurance based - then weekends is fine. On the same weekends you can do gymnastics.
The alternate days to strength training can be spent on marshal arts ...

As I said, you won't become champion in any of these - this way. However, that doesn't stop us from playing cricket, football, basketball, snooker, chess, bridge, all at same time ... does it? Then why should it stop you in this case?
Yep, he dismissed the whole cross-fit business for the same reason.

My current gym program is more of a keep-yourself-serviced for the intended to be primary activity: endurance cycling. (Kind of important because only doing lots of endurance cycling could cause bone mineral loss without the kind of servicing / core-strengthening, I think.)

But I'm unable to be regular with cycling lately and (therefore?) unable to keep it up as well as I do my secondary activity: the "servicing"-type gymming. This is why I thought maybe I should redefine my goal to convert my gym time to something more "primary" and delegate cycling to secondary.

Your last paragraph gives me a perspective I didn't think of - as long as becoming pro in any of these isn't the goal (at least for a long time to come).

I'll experiment on how I can manage all of that in a week (my fear of overtraining). Thanks!

If I, say, pick martial arts (regular) to be my primary, gymming (regular) and cycling (irregular) would become secondary.

Quote:
Or just bodyweight...

At the beginning. Pushups would be a good start.

Somewhere in my late 20s I decided that I need a fitness routine that I can maintain into my 60s or 70s. That I why switched to bodyweight and said goodbye to gym. I train for a martial artist's fitness requirement.

PS: Today it hurts to lift my arms above the shoulder level.
Do you have a program in mind? Self-developed or learnt from trainer in-person? Do you also practice martial arts?
Why do your arms hurt? Old injury or something else?

I'm curious what the goal of that person in that video was in the end: was it about maintaining a certain level of physique and fitness or is he some sort of mixed-martial arts person (because watching that video put Bruce Lee in my mind)?

EDIT: re-read both posts and realising that I have to make up my mind about what I want to be sustaining years down the line and decide.

Last edited by nareshov : 17th January 2014 at 22:18.
Old 17th January 2014, 22:33   #3493
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you have a program in mind? Self-developed or learnt from trainer in-person? Do you also practice martial arts?
It will be tough to summarize the fitness journey that started almost 30 years back. Started in 1984 with bodyweight calisthenics in NCC, there were no trainers or gyms in every locality then. Have passed through lots of fitness fads and many martial arts. Self trained for first few years before meeting the first train/instructor, etc. Now I have settled down with bodyweight again, training for a martial artist's fitness conditioning.

Quote:
Why do your arms hurt? Old injury or something else?
Not injury, just a day old soreness. See here.
Old 20th January 2014, 13:37   #3494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kettlebells gives you two advantages over other weights:
  • develop explosive power
  • uses more stabiliser muscles
But why can't I do the same movement with dumbells?
I have seen a kettle ball.
I have seen a dumbell.

There is hardly any movement that you can do with kettleball - but can't do with dumbell.

Quote:
Your last paragraph gives me a perspective I didn't think of - as long as becoming pro in any of these isn't the goal (at least for a long time to come).

I'll experiment on how I can manage all of that in a week (my fear of overtraining). Thanks!
To be honest that thought came to my mind only while writing it down.
Even I had never though it this way!
We take these activities up as if our goals are to become a pro competitor.
Whereas in most cases it remains only recreation activity.

You can easily keep overtraining in check. Just look out for the symptoms.
For me it is usually feeling lethargic and sleepy throughout the day.
Next stage is losing appetite (feeling not hungry - not getting hunger pangs)
Next stage is getting sick.
Old 20th January 2014, 16:45   #3495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To be honest that thought came to my mind only while writing it down.
Even I had never though it this way!
We take these activities up as if our goals are to become a pro competitor.
Whereas in most cases it remains only recreation activity.
Actually this thought occurred to me 20 years back when I was working out in a world class gym. Even in 94 that gym in NJ was so advanced, you had to just mention your membership number at the reception, and your photograph would pop on the screen. That was so cool... at least then. When I joined, they gave me a fitness test, medical test by doctor, etc. Their equipment too was state of art. Some of the finest athletes/sportsmen from the state used to train there. They would give one heck of a complex to anybody.

I realised I will not be one of those pros, unless I change my profession into something that requires such physique. But there was no chance of that. That is why I didn't go crazy on supplements or extreme training, etc. So I chose a much humbler and practical goal.

Most Viewed