Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2013, 23:05   #3406
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
So my current intake is ~70g, I am looking at 120g of protein. Sometimes, I substitute 4 eggs with 100-150g of chicken breast.
If you're looking to make up for the 50 grams deficit and gain weight (not just muscle), you're better off with a weight gainer. One serving split into two times a day will give you around 1000 calories with 50 grams of protein. That's because downing an entire serving in one go is a waste, your body can only absorb so much.

A whey protein will also give you the required protein, but not the required calories. As you have mentioned, you can add a banana, peanut butter, etc to it. But you need two servings to get 50 grams of protein.

BTW, do you weigh 120lbs? What's your target?
Old 2nd October 2013, 23:32   #3407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek.Martin View Post
If you're looking to make up for the 50 grams deficit and gain weight (not just muscle), you're better off with a weight gainer. One serving split into two times a day will give you around 1000 calories with 50 grams of protein. That's because downing an entire serving in one go is a waste, your body can only absorb so much.

A whey protein will also give you the required protein, but not the required calories. As you have mentioned, you can add a banana, peanut butter, etc to it. But you need two servings to get 50 grams of protein.

BTW, do you weigh 120lbs? What's your target?
Yeah, my age is 20, weigh around 125 lbs, aim is to touch 150 lbs by Dec end. The thing with weight gainers is that 300g+ of xyz weight gainer has 50g protein, and consuming that amount of weight gainer translates to buying 5 kg of weight gainer every fortnight, which isn't affordable for me.
Old 2nd October 2013, 23:43   #3408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Yeah, my age is 20, weigh around 125 lbs, aim is to touch 150 lbs by Dec end. The thing with weight gainers is that 300g+ of xyz weight gainer has 50g protein, and consuming that amount of weight gainer translates to buying 5 kg of weight gainer every fortnight, which isn't affordable for me.
Yes, that's true. Weight gainers are expensive on a per serving basis. Best suggestion I can give you is to double and split your normal meals.

Eg: If you're having 4 rotis for breakfast, eat another 4 rotis after three hours. If you're having a plate of rice for lunch, eat another plate after 3 hours.

This ensures you get 6 meals a day and double the calories. It is a very inexpensive and 100% effective method to gain weight, but beware of getting fat around the waist if you don't work it out.
If you can add 100 grams of chicken each into two of your meals, you get your needed 50 grams of protein too...
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:05   #3409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that's true. Weight gainers are expensive on a per serving basis. Best suggestion I can give you is to double and split your normal meals.

Eg: If you're having 4 rotis for breakfast, eat another 4 rotis after three hours. If you're having a plate of rice for lunch, eat another plate after 3 hours.

This ensures you get 6 meals a day and double the calories. It is a very inexpensive and 100% effective method to gain weight, but beware of getting fat around the waist if you don't work it out.
If you can add 100 grams of chicken each into two of your meals, you get your needed 50 grams of protein too...

Taking off from Prateek's question, I am in the same boat as far as the need to gain weight is concerned. Have failed miserably over the last 3-4 years ( most likely because I have not tried hard enough )

Been hitting the gym for the last 2 yrs and I continue to be in the same weight range of 64-66kgs. However I have improved the form/structure of my muscles. I am a vegetarian and my work life does not permit me to have multiple meals or have healthy snacks between meals. However I ensure I have 3 proper meals a day and hardly any processed or junk foods ( in fact almost nil ).

a senior chap in my gym commented that I am just not adding enough mass in line with the kind of weights I am pulling and hence i should go for supplements given that my diet is probably not giving me enough protein to add muscle mass

Given this background and the need to add more mass, should i go for whey ? could you guys suggest some good products ( affordable as well )

as i said earlier, my priority is to add mass. i think my work out regiment should help in ensuring this mass doesnt get added around the waist

thanks

Last edited by narayan : 3rd October 2013 at 15:07.
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:08   #3410
Team-BHP Support

What is your age? If you are 66Kg and in the 20s, you shouldn't be worrying about weight gain. Once you hit 30s and later, you will get heavier and you will be looking for weight loss advice.
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:19   #3411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What is your age? If you are 66Kg and in the 20s, you shouldn't be worrying about weight gain. Once you hit 30s and later, you will get heavier and you will be looking for weight loss advice.
God i almost LOL'd at my desk with nearly 8 people around busy at their desk with facebook and totally silent office atmosphere!!

Back to topic though, Prateek and Narayan, if you are not keen on supplements, then you can try to incorporate more milk in your diet. There is a workout plan i once followed which tells skinny guys to drink a gallon of milk a day along with other normal diet. But you have to also work out without fail else you will bloat up with unwanted fat. It did help me put on some bulk but genetically i am a skinny guy. Entered the 30's band wagon and I am still lean but not as skinny as i was in my teens and 20's. Some good advice on PM from Samurai about Body Weight calisthenics has helped me keep fit with a normal looking body.
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:50   #3412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I will complete 36 in about 27 days and I have been in this weight range for as long as I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
God i almost LOL'd at my desk with nearly 8 people around busy at their desk with facebook and totally silent office atmosphere!!

Back to topic though, Prateek and Narayan, if you are not keen on supplements, then you can try to incorporate more milk in your diet. There is a workout plan i once followed which tells skinny guys to drink a gallon of milk a day along with other normal diet. But you have to also work out without fail else you will bloat up with unwanted fat. It did help me put on some bulk but genetically i am a skinny guy. Entered the 30's band wagon and I am still lean but not as skinny as i was in my teens and 20's. Some good advice on PM from Samurai about Body Weight calisthenics has helped me keep fit with a normal looking body.
Abhinav - milk is a good suggestion but somehow over the last few years I have consciously tried avoiding milk consumption. Any other options ? Worst case, I will have to go for this suggestion
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:07   #3413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I will complete 36 in about 27 days and I have been in this weight range for as long as I can remember
How tall are you and do you know your body fat percentage?
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:23   #3414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some good advice on PM from Samurai about Body Weight calisthenics has helped me keep fit with a normal looking body.
Abhinav, if you [and Samurai ] don't mind, could you please forward that PM to me too?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:40   #3415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How tall are you and do you know your body fat percentage?
I am 175cms. I dont know my body fat percentage. Can i measure this at home ?
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:53   #3416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am 175cms. I dont know my body fat percentage. Can i measure this at home ?
175cm and 66KG you have perfect BMI of 21.5 why you want to increase weight ?
Many people in India have absurd notions of health and perfectly normal people look skinny to them don't listen to them.
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:04   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
175cm and 66KG you have perfect BMI of 21.5 why you want to increase weight ?
Many people in India have absurd notions of health and perfectly normal people look skinny to them don't listen to them.
Feels good to hear this but Amit, my intention is to increase my muscle mass and have an overall better built. Right now, within my 66kg frame, i have decent muscle curves. objective is to probably take to a 75kg frame with proportionate increase in muscle mass as well. Hope I am able to convey my point better
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:23   #3418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Abhinav - milk is a good suggestion but somehow over the last few years I have consciously tried avoiding milk consumption. Any other options ? Worst case, I will have to go for this suggestion
Amit is right. Going by your BMI, you are right up there with a near perfect score. But still if you want to G.O.M.A.D (Gallon Of Milk A Day), be prepared for lose bowels the first few days or some acne erupting on your face, or forehead. I only had an issue with lose bowels for first 3 days and i was not even going a full gallon each day!!
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:36   #3419
Team-BHP Support

BMI is not really applicable to most regulars in this thread, who are muscular. My BMI is 28.4, but I ain't overweight. Most people guess my weight to be 10kg lower than actual.

I am 172cms & 84Kg.
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:23   #3420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amit is right. Going by your BMI, you are right up there with a near perfect score. But still if you want to G.O.M.A.D (Gallon Of Milk A Day), be prepared for lose bowels the first few days or some acne erupting on your face, or forehead. I only had an issue with lose bowels for first 3 days and i was not even going a full gallon each day!!
Apart from milk, can soy serve the purpose ( to help increase muscle mass ) ? I don't normally like the mealmaker's taste but can it be powdered and mixed with hot water and had ? ( Say with some sugar ?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks