Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2012, 10:37   #3226
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Protein prices have reached the sky. Remember me and mandheer searching all over the internet and shops around.

Keep Repping

A scoop of whey is almost close to the price we used to pay for MRPs earlier.
Old 29th July 2012, 12:33   #3227
BHPian

A scoop of whey is just way too much overhyped nowadays. As good as it gets, it's just a fraction of whole milk. I can't see why many newbies go gaga over this overhyped stuff while ignoring their baked potatoes, almonds, eggs, milk and cheese!
Old 7th September 2012, 15:28   #3228
Senior - BHPian

I mostly used to do cardio and some weights and used to scoff at choreographed group classes.

Yesterday took a class of bodycombat in my gym out of curiocity, from outside it looks like a chreographed sequence but I was so wrong , Felt compleatly drained and muscles in upper back and shoulders which never pained after push ups and weights are aching now.

http://w3.lesmills.com/global/en/cla...ut-bodycombat/

The only problem is this is on thrursday morning and usually I have a meeting that day so need to try some workaround.

Other thing which looks easy but I found really challanging is suspension workout ( TRX).

Last edited by amitk26 : 7th September 2012 at 15:32.
Old 7th September 2012, 20:04   #3229
Team-BHP Support

This bodycombat sounds like copy of Tae Bo, which I used to do in late 90s. Trouble with these martial arts based fitness program is that you need to be very fit to start with. If not, you tend to get injured. I got injured doing Tae Bo and needed 6 months to get over that one. Meanwhile I didn't get injured doing actual martial arts practice, at least in my 20s.

Martials art moves are very jerky and can take heavy toll on your body. Martials art based fitness programs go overboard repeating those moves, non-stop, unlike in martial arts. Therefore injury is guaranteed unless you are highly conditioned and very fit. Once I understood that, I quit Tae Bo.
Old 15th October 2012, 12:11   #3230
BHPian

Can anyone in bangalore build these kind of squat rack? which can be used for squats, bench and pullups for home use

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-gallery_2761_116_30634.jpg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-gallery_543_40_32975.jpg

Found one who are selling in bangalore
http://www.acmefitness.com/fitness-f...78-power-rack-

but the cost is 50k which is too much, i am ready to spend 20k.
I know this can be done by some welding shops but the result? i am not aware.

Let me know what you guys think i should do.

Last edited by brraj : 15th October 2012 at 12:17.
Old 15th October 2012, 17:15   #3231
BHPian

The second kind, sure can be built at a much cheaper rate.

I'd say, if you can afford the space, go ahead with the plan. You can do some strength testing with the help of some friends by standing on the pins.

Just take a print out and show it to a welding workshop and ask for an estimate.
You dont need holes all over the length of the limbs, just choose your levels.

I had once shown a design to a welder and he had told me that the usual circular GI pipes come cheaper than the square ones, and it would all work the same. Inquire that around.

I myself have to build one for myself as soon as I find a home with space.

And do post pictures here if you get it done.
Old 16th October 2012, 10:11   #3232
BHPian

Thanks for the info, will enquire about circular GI pipes aswell but can it withstand 250kg used for squat?
Space is not an issue so this should workout.
Old 16th October 2012, 11:20   #3233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Can anyone in bangalore build these kind of squat rack? which can be used for squats, bench and pullups for home use
Decathlon has some home gyms for sale. I saw one which has everything except the pull up bar.
IMO, don't risk building the gym equipment by just anyone. The load and stress test are of very high importance. And even small variation in the angles can cause big discomfort and injury in the long run.
Old 16th October 2012, 11:50   #3234
BHPian

Re: Gyms / Fitness Clubs / Health Clubs in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
The intention of this thread is to list down good (and bad) gyms in Bangalore. Can also list down offers/deals. BHPians, please post your first hand experiences. Big Brands/Chains are:
1. Gold's Gym
2. Talwalkars
3. Snap Fitness

Apart from the big brands, there are smaller brands like Fitness One and then there are even smaller gyms which are not chains. The smaller brands are cheaper and could be good because of much lesser crowd. The downside could be the quality of the crowd and trainers there. It is very difficult to find reviews of these on the internet. Sometimes, they might not even appear on google maps or other search engines. That's where this thread can help. I'm sure more and more BHPians are joining the fitness bandwagon everyday.

Personally, I'm searching for a good gym around BSK 3rd Stage (5km radius). Gyms I found:
1. Gold's gym - JP nagar: 19.5K annual package. Includes dietician, physio, general trainer, review of progress every month by physios. Good gym but extremely crowded.
2. Talalkars JP nagar - 20k annual package. Just includes physio. Not as good as Golds. Crowd is slightly lesser too.
3. Snap Fitness BSK3 - 12 annual package. Pretty small gym. Equipment not great too.
Could you guys please suggest me good gyms in BSK 3rd Stage? I really don't mind the price unless its less than 20k.

Thanks
I work out at Power fitness; this is opp to Dominos on 100ft ring road near kathriguppe. Decent equipments and trainers and also reasonably priced.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:12   #3235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nice to see some discussion on bodyweight exercises. I used to discuss bodyweight calisthenics on this thread about 7 years back, before the focus turned to mostly to bodybuilding.

Pullups are something I lost along the way. I used to do it long time back, then if you don't it for a while, you just lose it. Now I am slowly building back to it.
But you would admit that pullups and chinups are lot more harder than any other "bodyweight" calisthenics.

In none of the other calisthenic exercises are you exerting force equal to your complete body weight. Even in bodyweight Squat, the below knees section stays stationary - and hence legs don't have to lift that weight. And come on, legs are atleast 2-3 times stronger than the arms!

In my view - pullups and chinups are not in the legion of bodyweight exercises (no wonder most people find difficult to complete even one rep).

So if you do pullups, why shouldn't you do weighted squats, presses etc?
The idea is to make the movement difficult. And you try to overcome that difficulty.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:31   #3236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Decathlon has some home gyms for sale. I saw one which has everything except the pull up bar.
IMO, don't risk building the gym equipment by just anyone. The load and stress test are of very high importance. And even small variation in the angles can cause big discomfort and injury in the long run.
Checked out their website but couldn't find a squat rack.
I have to check personally in store i guess. Which one did you check the one in Sarjapur / Bannerghatta road?.
Old 16th October 2012, 15:23   #3237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Checked out their website but couldn't find a squat rack.
I have to check personally in store i guess. Which one did you check the one in Sarjapur / Bannerghatta road?.
The one I was referring to is: http://www.decathlon.in//WEIGHTS-BENCHES-BM-490
Just realized that it doesn't have a squat rack. Sorry!
Old 16th October 2012, 15:35   #3238
BHPian

Quote:
Found one who are selling in bangalore
http://www.acmefitness.com/fitness-f...78-power-rack-

but the cost is 50k which is too much, i am ready to spend 20k.
I know this can be done by some welding shops but the result? i am not aware.

Let me know what you guys think i should do.
Check these out-
http://www.ebay.in/itm/BRANDED-WEIGH...item416c747721
http://www.ebay.in/itm/BRANDED-WEIGH...item3f1dbb3af9
http://www.ebay.in/itm/BRANDED-WEIGH...item416c95161e
Old 16th October 2012, 16:49   #3239
BHPian

Thanks for the links, I actually liked the "POWER SQUAT RACK WITH 500 KG CAPACITY" costing 13k.
Have called the seller and he has told even COD is available. He will get back to me after checking the item in stock.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:47   #3240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Just my opinion on this, not an argument.
Agreed that you cant risk building all gym equipment by just anyone, but you sure can build a power rack by any good welder.
All that can go wrong in the power rack is the catch pin not holding the weight and bending or worse, breaking. That part is pretty easy to test.

And testing whether the barbell could stay straight is easier to test.

It is basically a cage, there are tons of designs available on the net.

But of course if you can get one already made for a reasonable rate like the one posted above from Ebay, the choice is clear.
Just my thoughts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks