Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2007, 10:36   #301
BANNED

how on earth do u lost love handles and tighten the stomach area.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:38   #302
BANNED

Friends plese don't take offense but I too have been going to gym for few months and one thing I have observed is that everybody likes to give advice on what to do and sometimes the person giving advice is not qualified i.e. he is fully out of shape and giving gyan on how to have great body. There are many people in my gym like this and it is best to avoid listening to them.

I have found best way to see who is giving right advice and who is not is to look at the person's body and decide whether he is capable of following his own gyan and whether it is working on him before he tries it out on others. Talk is cheap. Getting a great body isn't.

Hence I request, please post your pics so we can see whether it is worth listening to you or no. In this way many innocents can be spared from bad advice and worse consequences.

Once again, no offense, if you are truly a fitness person you will know i am saying the right thing.
Old 1st June 2007, 11:43   #303
BHPian

Speedweednitro, Dikhawe per math jao, apni akal lagao, just kidding, anyws, about your query, do you feel a person with a bad body cannot talk well about fitness, its all in the head. Do he/ she really have to show the pic to prove the point.

Il ask my office photographer to take my pics LOLS and will paste it... after i achieve my goal, just working hard on my side obligues... and very soon il put it up, no PHOTOSHOPPED pics please ahaha
Old 1st June 2007, 11:45   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
how on earth do u lost love handles and tighten the stomach area.
leg raises, side leg raises, one dumbell Bents, Stick twist and turns. cardio, a little diet control. and YO those hard core obligue or love handles.
Old 1st June 2007, 12:03   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Speedweednitro, Dikhawe per math jao, apni akal lagao, just kidding, anyws, about your query, do you feel a person with a bad body cannot talk well about fitness, its all in the head. Do he/ she really have to show the pic to prove the point.
Hi Sohail,

Very well said! Good health I guess first starts in the mind & with the mind! No body needs to prove anything with a pic to anyone.If its of your own free will then thats okay too!

Cheers
Old 1st June 2007, 12:14   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
......when I worked out. .....

Anyways, my 2 paisa

When working out, please take care of the following:
1. Do not rush into heavy weights. Perfect your techniques first by using light weights and slow motions.
2. Flex your muscles. Many people dont flex their biceps at the top of a bicep curl. This reduces the benefits immensely. Also, flex your abs when doing cardio. Speeds up the fat burn
3. Please take care of your back! Its most prone to injury in the gym if you do weights improperly. A lat pulldown gone wrong will screw up your back. And if you think this applies to tall people only, then you cant be further from the truth.
4. Make a conscious effort to motivate yourself. Concentration is what makes one do that last rep.
5. Better to cheat a little than to do it wrong.

But after that little bit of gyan, a question... What does one have to do to get the left arm at the same level as the right arm? Being right handed, I am able to do more reps with the right arm than the left. And it shows as well.
Old 1st June 2007, 12:48   #307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedweednitro View Post
Friends plese don't take offense but I too have been going to gym for few months and one thing I have observed is that everybody likes to give advice on what to do and sometimes the person giving advice is not qualified i.e. he is fully out of shape and giving gyan on how to have great body. There are many people in my gym like this and it is best to avoid listening to them.

I have found best way to see who is giving right advice and who is not is to look at the person's body and decide whether he is capable of following his own gyan and whether it is working on him before he tries it out on others. Talk is cheap. Getting a great body isn't.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Ideally you must always get advice from people who are much much fitter than you. But that doesn't ensure right advice. The bodybuilding/fitness/diet has become a major industry and also has enormous amount of misinformation floating around. Often, bad information comes from proven experts themselves who are just out to make some money.

I starting working out in 1984 and after that I have tried every fitness fad I came across. There is so much misinformation out there, and the trial and error can take very long. The truth is that the same workout won't work for everyone, each one has different goals and different situations. Unfortunately not everybody gets the right guide at the right time. Many types of workouts have short term goals and could be harmful in the longer term. How do you know such things, only somebody who has done it for long can tell you that. But it is difficult get right information since most are in the selling mode. And people who have done it only for a little while will be promoting their style of workout/diet simply because they feel it works for them.

I don't do body building anymore, I have been there, done that, I am out of there. I don't think it is sustainable in a long run. But that is strictly my opinion based on my experiences. I am not going to defend it with long explanations.

Therefore, talk to bodybuilders who have done it for 20-25-30 years. Ask them what works, what doesn't, the pros and cons. There is no reason to ask for measurement and photographs. Just ensure he has the right background and experience.

Also, many of you are only looking for general fitness, not bodybuilding, it is not the answer to everything. Try different things until you find something comfortable that fits your lifestyle and fitness needs. It could be bodybuilding or simply walking.
Old 1st June 2007, 13:39   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedweednitro View Post
I have found best way to see who is giving right advice and who is not is to look at the person's body and decide whether he is capable of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Also, many of you are only looking for general fitness, not bodybuilding, it is not the answer to everything.
As samurai san has pointed out, fitness and BB are 2 very different things. Looks can be deceiving

Anyway... here is usefull link for Bodybuilding, from the BB.com forums (not fitness oriented). As you can see some of the food intake might seem ridiculous for normal folks, so you need to modify it to suit your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pu12en12g View Post
Diet:

-Total daily calorie intake. This is what will make / break you

- It is NOT efficient to try and lost fat AND gain muscle at the same time

- BMR and nutrition calculator (click here)

- Total Daily Protein Intake (for best results I recommend AROUND 2g per lb of bodyweight)

- Fatloss basics. READ IT:

- Foods (Good vs. Bad):

- If there was ONE SINGLE KEY to the gains I made in the 1 1/2 years when I went from 175-225 (my best.. leanest gains), it is OATS / STEEL CUT OATS ! The emphasis here is that oats / steel cut oats are a INEXPENSIVE, HEALTHY, yet VERY CALORIE DENSE FOOD. I saw lean gains like I had never seen before. But NO THEY DON'T TASTE GOOD. YOU HAVE TO FORCE FEED THEM. This gets old fast. I added about 1 cup of oats to each protein shake.

When bulking (to gain lean muscle mass), I aim for:

- 1lb lean beef per day
- 1 Gallon Skim Milk per day
- Around 2000 cals per day from oats
- Lots of protein shakes (up to 8 per day)
- Lean chicken
- Lean turkey
- Lean beef / sloppy Joes (manwich)
- Hamburger Helper
- Lots of pasta
- Lots of tuna
- Potatoes
- Rice (Note: If you can afford it you can do things like boneless chicken breast, steaks etc.. etc..)
- Veggies (Fresh if possible)

When cutting (to lose fat):

- I eat many of the same foods above, but with a lower TOTAL DAILY CALORIE INTAKE

- I put a emphasis on PRE- and POST-workout nutrition, and the end result is that most of my calories are eaten before my afternoon workout. I have found this to be ideal (for me).

Supplements:

- Supplements / Companies to avoid: Bodybuilding.com Forums

- SAVE $$$$$ ! ! STICK WITH THE BASICS ! ! )

Multivitamin
(Click here for a Multivitamin Comparison Chart)
10 lb bags of Optimum Whey Protein (This includes a great BCAA profile AND glutamine) (Note: I recommend Choc / Choc Mint only)
Creapure Creatine or Creatine Ethyl Ester HCL or Magnesium Creatine Chelate
Cold Pressed Flaxseed oil (and / or fishoil
- Stay on creatine, there is no need to cycle it ! (cycling and loading are totally optional)

- Creatine timing (when / how to take it):
Science Behind Creatine Timing? - Bodybuilding.com Forums
Bodybuilding.com - Author Rea - Supplemental Creatine: An In Depth Look.
- For best results, aim for AROUND 2g of total daily protein intake per lb of bodyweight EVERY SINGLE DAY ! !

Example:
Bodyweight: 200lbs
Total daily protein intake: 400g
Here is why:
John Berardi - Protein Prejudice
Protein Intake Study ?s - Bodybuilding.com Forums
In a word is it worth taking BCAA? - Bodybuilding.com Forums
Workout / Routine:

- I recommend a MAX-OT, 5x5, HST (or similar) routine with a EMPHASIS ON:
- Squatting / Leg pressing
- Deadlifts
- Barbell benchpress
(Including flat / decline / incline)
- Both BB's and DB's for best results

- Concentrate more on measurements and less on bodyweight

- Weigh yourself once a week. Should gain (or lose) around 1lb per week (depending on goals).

- Concentrate on form first, in order to stay injury free

- Emphasize both range of motion, and mind-muscle connection

- With intensity, strength gains, and a proper bodybuilding diet, the size gains (or fatloss) will come

- Make sure and have a spotter when working out your major muscle groups, preferrably someone bigger than you

- Don't be scared of overtraining. Simply listen (pay attention) to your body, and ask more questions later if you think you are overtraining.

Cardio:

- If possible, do cardio at least 8 hours from when you lift weights

- If possible, do cardio in the AM after sleeping.

- No need to do cardio on a empty stomach, but many prefer to due to nausea

- Jumping rope is a very efficient form of cardio

- HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is a efficient form of cardio

Recovery (A.K.A GROWTH !):

- With proper intensity MUST COME PROPER RECOVERY !

- Make sure and get enough protein right before you go to sleep.

- Make sure and get enough protein/carbs right when you wake up

- Make sure and get enough deep, quality sleep (Not getting enough quality sleep is the #1 newbie mistake. You should aim for at least 8 QUALITY hours of sleep per night):
John Berardi - Sleep: The Missing Component - Part I (Text Version)
John Berardi - Sleep: The Missing Component - Part II (Text Version)
- Make sure and get enough protein / calories on off days (This is when your body will be recovering) It is important to be consistent !

- Make sure and get proper pre and post-workout nutrition:
Carbs pre and post workout.
Protein pre and post workout.
Creatine pre and post workout:
Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition. - Bodybuilding.com Forums
H20 / Cell volumization:

- Make sure and drink enough water throughout the day (This is CRITICAL ! !) I drink about 1 liter per hour. (Keep in mind I am currently over 240lbs so you may not need this much) Click here to read about why this is SO IMPORTANT:
H2O / Cell Volumization... the ultimate supplement - Bodybuilding.com Forums
Testosterone Nation - Stretch Mark Mass!
http://www.biochemj.org/bj/313/0697/3130697.pdf
Bodybuilding.com - Author Rea - Supplemental Creatine: An In Depth Look.
Good luck !

Disclaimer: The above post is IN MY OPINION, or IN MY EXPERIENCE, unless otherwise noted.
Old 1st June 2007, 14:19   #309
BHPian

Hey AshonTheRock, thank you for agreeing with me.
Samurai: I agree to what u said about, different workouts, different people, different goals. Just wanted to ask what do u do currently about your fitness, probably it will help me suggest somebody of your types.
Old 1st June 2007, 14:22   #310
BHPian

Hi SOuljah

V.nice link & v.nice articles on fat loss & fitness. Made for extremely good reading & selectivley following..Will have to revisit the pages! Thanks!
Old 1st June 2007, 15:57   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Samurai: I agree to what u said about, different workouts, different people, different goals. Just wanted to ask what do u do currently about your fitness, probably it will help me suggest somebody of your types.
You can use the search this thread feature (click on advanced search) for posts by me. I use Body Weight Calisthenics (BWC) methods compiled by Matt Furey, he calls it combat conditioning, very useful for martial artists. Although he has many overhyped products, his BWC series is very effective, simply because it is compiled from the best techniques practiced all over the world for thousands of years.

Actually I came a full circle in my fitness journey. I got started on BWC when I joined NCC in 1984, did that for 9 years with great results. Then I went abroad, got distracted by all the gizmos and so called modern methods, did body building, Tae Bo and lots of gizmos, nothing worked for me, got injured few times. Got introduced to combat conditioning in 2001-02 and Voila! back to BWC. For me, BWC works very well, I understood that only after trying everything else for 8-9 years. I also do martial arts, but I don't do it for fitness, one already has to be very fit to do it.
Old 4th June 2007, 10:49   #312
BHPian

Samurai, i'm kinda interested in the BWC type of training, so if possible, could you tell me how do you search for this particular types. Matt furey's book for BWC is not available in the market, so wanted to see it online... but then its charged some dollars, I would want to buy that book where could it be?
Old 4th June 2007, 23:25   #313
Senior - BHPian

Guys how do you consume eggs? Is it in the boiled form?
Old 4th June 2007, 23:40   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
But after that little bit of gyan, a question... What does one have to do to get the left arm at the same level as the right arm? Being right handed, I am able to do more reps with the right arm than the left. And it shows as well.
difficult. some day do an extra rep/set with the non dominant hand.

our dominant hand is usually more worked out because it remain active in day to day tasks. i think keeping the other hand active , unnecessarly flexing etc may work.
Old 4th June 2007, 23:42   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Guys how do you consume eggs? Is it in the boiled form?
I used to take it raw, and it helped me a lot. my major gains were in times when i was having 4-6 eggs a day, along with a heavy diet of course.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks