Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 13:57   #3121
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Where do I get ON Gold Standard 100% Whey online? I dont see VNC stocking it. Most others are charging exorbitantly for it. Are there any other reliable stores with good pricing? How about Gaspari MyoFusion? I saw it listed online for Rs 2700 - 5lbs on bodybuilding-supplements.co.in. Not sure if that is a reliable site. There is no online payment option. It is either through Paypal or bank transfer to a personal account, which I am bit concerned.
VNC do have ON and several others which are not listed in their website. E-Mail them for details/offline ordering.
1-Testosterone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 22:04   #3122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
You are a saviour, your response makes me feel so much better now, more so because it sounds like you know what you are talking about, thanks for a line by line response.

Mutton/Pork sausage/ham is next on the grocery list, preferrably ham only unless I don't like its taste.
Questions:
1. Before I make the chicken salami sandwich I boil some water in a pan and dip the salamis in it for about 15 seconds when the water is boiling like crazy, I guess bacteria's are killed when I do this? Should I do the same with ham, unless I ruin it or something.
2. Is the regular pomphret fish ok or something specific that I should be looking for? Hope the regular meat-wala has what you suggest?
3. So preference looking at nutrient value of a meat should be in order - Ham > Salami or Sausage?

Eggs I forgot to mention, I have eggs but its more like every alternate day or third day but plan is to include one hard boiled egg with yolk in the breakfast along with meat everyday.
Milk - Now that you touched this also, the packaged milk that we get - Mother Dairy/Delhi Milk Scheme etc. are these any good? I mean having read a lot about how milk's nutrional's value is deteriorating by day makes me feel that I don't miss much and have yogurt instead. If they are still any good I guess I could take it up again, but double toned (no fat) I guess, right?
(1) I am not an expert at killing bacteria , but you should be fine even if you wash the salami in cold and clean water. Curated meats are decently processed in general, and washed salamis should be as harmless as washed tomatoes. I can't back this up with any evidence though - just my opinion.
(2) There are differences among different fishes, but nothing major. Enjoy your pomfrets.
(3) Ham is better than salamis and sausages - but only marginally. A lot also depends on how you cook the sausages. Again, if you ask for my opinion, the differences between ham and salami at least, are very little. Sausages can be an issue depending on the cooking medium and method.
(4) Milk - Look, there are insane number of reports about high chemical and pesticide levels in our milk. However, that is also true for most of the food we eat here, and there is hardly anything you can do about it. As far as which brand is concerned - just pick up any trusted brand, and you should be fine. Also, skimmed milk might not be the greatest choice (unless you are obese). Whole milk (Amul Gold) has 4% or more of saturated fats. Omega3 fatty acids for example, are exceptionally good for your body (of course, in moderation). Skimmed milk is really a diet fad. I find it ironical when people insist on skimmed milk, but have no qualms with french fries. Fat that's bad for you are trans fats (found in junk food, vanaspati etc). Natural fats (found in milk, eggs, nuts, some meats etc), are good and a necessary part of a balanced diet.

BTW, how many calories a day are you targeting? What's your maintenance level (approximate number of calories at which you don't gain or lose weight)? You would need to find this out. Whatever you eat, since you are not exercising, try to be around maintenance. Adjust your protein/carb/fat intake accordingly (protein:carbs:fat at 35:35:30 is a good ratio to start with normally).
For instance, my maintenance is around 2600-2700 calories. That translates to approximately 220+gm of proteins and carbohydrates, and approximately 90+ gm of fat, a day.

Last edited by e1t1bet : 11th February 2012 at 22:16.
e1t1bet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 23:13   #3123
Senior - BHPian

Have few questions for the bodybuilders/fitness gurus here:
How do you figure out how many calories you need for maintenance? Is it trial and error till you start gaining weight all over again?
Old 12th February 2012, 02:33   #3124
Senior - BHPian

Just thought I would post my experiences, though maybe not entirely relevant to this thread.

I was always thin, as far back as I can remember. When I joined college at 18, I was 48 kg with a 23 inch waist on a 5'-6" frame. Through the next 12 years (helped hugely by a sedentary job after college and an awful lifestyle during college with hardly any sleep) I gained about 10 kg to become 58 kg at the age of 30. By this time, I was also suffering from hyperacidity due to lack of exercise.

At the age of 30, I started running 2 km a day in the Millenium Park near my house. I simply lost more weight and started getting dehydrated I joined the gym just for a lark. I thought I would give it a month or two and see the difference. It has been 20 months since.

I am not heavily into exercise or body-building. In fact, due to work pressure and the gym being far from home, I only go there 3 days a week on an average. I have even had a long break of almost 4 weeks in between. I am not comfortable with the idea of protein supplements and do not take them. This is a big disappointment to my trainer who wants to make a Schwarzenegger out of me. Neither have I really changed my diet. I eat what I used to.

Still the results are great. I have only gained 4 kg, but the fat percentage has gone down tremendously (I was never fat, just muscle mass has increased). the change in body shape is great and for the first time, I feel ready-made clothes are made with my body shape in mind. I am very happy that I have achieved two goals: better fitness / toning and better body shape, since I never started with body-building as an objective.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 16:15   #3125
BHPian

@blue_pulsar: It's almost impossible to accurately calculate maintenance, and eat exactly at maintenance - as maintenance varies with activity levels, metabolism, body size and composition etc.
Thus, trial and error is the only way out. You normally start off at a ball-park estimate using an online calculator or something - and then figure out maintenance. If you are putting on, or losing, more than 0.25 Kgs a week (average after 3-4 weeks) - you are eating above or below maintenance.
Old 12th February 2012, 19:46   #3126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Have few questions for the bodybuilders/fitness gurus here:
How do you figure out how many calories you need for maintenance? Is it trial and error till you start gaining weight all over again?
What type of maintainence are we talking about? Are you refering to just being fit? or bulking up and maintaining it? Also what is your body weight, height and your exercise pattern?
Old 12th February 2012, 21:50   #3127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
What type of maintainence are we talking about? Are you refering to just being fit? or bulking up and maintaining it? Also what is your body weight, height and your exercise pattern?
Just being lean and fit.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:50   #3128
Senior - BHPian

Gyms / Fitness Clubs / Health Clubs in Bangalore

The intention of this thread is to list down good (and bad) gyms in Bangalore. Can also list down offers/deals. BHPians, please post your first hand experiences. Big Brands/Chains are:
1. Gold's Gym
2. Talwalkars
3. Snap Fitness

Apart from the big brands, there are smaller brands like Fitness One and then there are even smaller gyms which are not chains. The smaller brands are cheaper and could be good because of much lesser crowd. The downside could be the quality of the crowd and trainers there. It is very difficult to find reviews of these on the internet. Sometimes, they might not even appear on google maps or other search engines. That's where this thread can help. I'm sure more and more BHPians are joining the fitness bandwagon everyday.

Personally, I'm searching for a good gym around BSK 3rd Stage (5km radius). Gyms I found:
1. Gold's gym - JP nagar: 19.5K annual package. Includes dietician, physio, general trainer, review of progress every month by physios. Good gym but extremely crowded.
2. Talalkars JP nagar - 20k annual package. Just includes physio. Not as good as Golds. Crowd is slightly lesser too.
3. Snap Fitness BSK3 - 12 annual package. Pretty small gym. Equipment not great too.
Could you guys please suggest me good gyms in BSK 3rd Stage? I really don't mind the price unless its less than 20k.

Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 21:21   #3129
BHPian

A doubt - Are nutrition drinks like B Protein and Proteinx used for body building or are they used in diets to stay fit and lean ?
Old 17th February 2012, 15:48   #3130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
VNC do have ON and several others which are not listed in their website. E-Mail them for details/offline ordering.
Thanks. I mailed them and they do have it listed on the site. However I find their shipping costs very high (Rs 400) and the total figure comes higher than most other sites. Hence I have ordered it at healthkart.com where shipping is free.
Old 17th February 2012, 19:13   #3131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
A doubt - Are nutrition drinks like B Protein and Proteinx used for body building or are they used in diets to stay fit and lean ?
Hey karty_83, saw your PM too, sorry, been a bit inactive here.

Been off training quite a while, hence dread coming on this thread.

See Protinex is a great supplement to normal diet. Proteins are readily available in many foods, veg and non-veg both, hence they necessarily do not cause any bulking.

So you can safely take protein supplements to supplement your diet.

For a lay mans thumb rule, average bodybuilders who train adequately etc take 1-1.5 gram protein per pound bodyweight, people who are only into regular fitness related activities can do well with 0.5-1 gram per kilo of body weight too.

These are general figures and requirements vary from person to person.

Refer this link: Bodybuilding.com - How Much Protein?

Also, the basic difference between subsistence products like Protinex and maybe a hardcore one like Isopure is the protein per serving, %age protein gram for gram and the quality of protein, but all that is too technical for you, for now.

So feel free to supplement with Protinex but in conjunction with a goo diet. Make sure you get good quality clean meals and good carbs, read up a bit on carbs too, since one should invest in complex carb sources.

A sound diet is the biggest stepping stone to a fit and lean physique.

All the best bud, hope this helps!
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 12:49   #3132
BHPian

Hi Friends, after tipping the scales from 82 (3 years ago) to 95 now, I decided to hit the gym and joined Maverick in Chennai. This is a basic package of 8K with no trainers and workout cards, dietician, etc. I was down on cash and I went for their most basic package.

My queries -

1. My goal is weight loss first and then build lean muscles. Should I be focussing on Cardio more or should it be a mix of weights and cardio (alternate days)

2. What is an ideal snack to eat before the workout. I go to the gym at 6 - 6:30 AM and am a vegeterian. I am at loss what to eat before the workout.

Looking forward for some responses and recommendation / tips...
Old 19th February 2012, 13:28   #3133
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gyms / Fitness Clubs / Health Clubs in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Personally, I'm searching for a good gym around BSK 3rd Stage (5km radius). Gyms I found:
1. Gold's gym - JP nagar: 19.5K annual package. Includes dietician, physio, general trainer, review of progress every month by physios. Good gym but extremely crowded.
2. Talalkars JP nagar - 20k annual package. Just includes physio. Not as good as Golds. Crowd is slightly lesser too.
3. Snap Fitness BSK3 - 12 annual package. Pretty small gym. Equipment not great too.
Could you guys please suggest me good gyms in BSK 3rd Stage? I really don't mind the price unless its less than 20k.

Thanks
Guys, please help me with my query... Best gym around BSK 3rd Stg? Doesnt have to be one of the big brands but I need plenty of cardio equipment, nice weight training and not way too much crowd. I can spend a decent amount of money. Suggestions please.
Old 19th February 2012, 19:29   #3134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Hi Friends, after tipping the scales from 82 (3 years ago) to 95 now, I decided to hit the gym and joined Maverick in Chennai. This is a basic package of 8K with no trainers and workout cards, dietician, etc. I was down on cash and I went for their most basic package.

My queries -

1. My goal is weight loss first and then build lean muscles. Should I be focussing on Cardio more or should it be a mix of weights and cardio (alternate days)

2. What is an ideal snack to eat before the workout. I go to the gym at 6 - 6:30 AM and am a vegeterian. I am at loss what to eat before the workout.

Looking forward for some responses and recommendation / tips...
Hi,
1) I normally do cardio and weights alternate days. Have achieved in loosing a considerable amount of body fat. Not to forget to mention that I follow a strict protein diet and being a non veg mainly consist of grilled chicken, salad and whey protein with skim milk. Sorry, not sure about a veg diet maybe someone can help you on it.

2) You can add whey protein with skim milk half hour before the workouts followed by whey protein in water post work out (very imp to have a post work out protein drink as the body absorbs the most within that half hour post work out). Alternatively an apple before your workout would be fine too.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Sha09mel : 19th February 2012 at 19:33. Reason: word error
Old 7th March 2012, 13:56   #3135
BHPian

Hello people, here's something a friend of mine compiled for all those looking at a workout routine to meet/fit their needs and requirements.

Essentially for intermediate to advanced trainees who know their lifts and where they're headed.

Hope this helps!!

Have fun and keep pushing!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Routine Bible.doc (210.5 KB, 9777 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks