Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 10:40   #2926
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
My coach has advised for 'Dymatize Nutrition's ISO•100 100% Hydrolyze Whey Protein Isolate' for getting lean and early recovery of muscles, its zero carb as well. Has anyone used it, how it is. Or Should I get something else.
I have used it, its a good supplement. Go for it
msupercool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 11:15   #2927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupercool View Post
I have used it, its a good supplement. Go for it
Many thanks, got it. though the specification doesnt shows any suger, sweet, its damn sweet, but yup chocolate flavor is tasty.
Old 13th May 2011, 15:38   #2928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Alright here it is,

Hope this helps
1. With such a depleted carb diet you didn't feel any loss of strength and stamina (initially)?
2. Why did you start with high reps (15-18)? Based on trainer's advice or your own?
3. When you shifted from high rep to low rep - did you experience a lesser "pumped up" feeling. Pumped feeling is not the pump which lasts for few minutes only. This pumped up feeling lasts for 1-3 days after the workout and is like a diminished version of the pump - but enough to make you feel "bigger".
4. Were you actually able to increase the lifts (for same no of reps) during your cutting phase?
5. When you did 6 sets - I assume the failure was not from first set onward. Rather the first few sets would be more like priming sets, wherein the cumulative fatigue sets in by the later sets and those later sets are taken to failure. Or were all sets done to failure?
6. Slow and steady movements (reps) or didn't care?
7. And of course thanks for your post.

SAMURAI:
It not even as simple as that.
The muscle "putting on" ability depends on lot of factors:
1. Underlying bone frame. The heavier and larger bones you have, the bigger muscle you can pack on.
2. The joint/ligament construction - the more robust (less flexible) the more weights your body can naturally handle - and thus more muscle in native state.
3. Tendon insertion into bone - the farther up your tendons insert - the slower movement they can produce, however they can exert greater force (lever action Class 3).
4. Consequent to the above point - the farther your tendon insertion - usually the longer your muscle belly is. The bigger muscle belly of course looks bigger than smaller one.
5. No of muscle cells. Some ppl have more some ppl have less. With exercise you can only increase the size of cells. Not the qty of cells.
6. Mix of slow/fast fibres. Slower fibres are more geared towards "stamina" activities - and lesser force. Fast fibres are more geared towards "strength" activities and generate higher force. This mix is again determined genetically.
7. Testosterone levels. The higher they are the more potentency to increase muscles (anabolic). However, Testosterone has other important jobs also in the body = androgenic.
8. Anabolic receptors = how much of that Testosterone will be used for muscle building.
9. Thyroid levels (TSH, TRH, T3 and T4 circuit) - which determines how much body fat your are going to carry - controls metabolism.
10. Natural levels of GHRH-HGH (human growth hormones) - which determines how large you will be (bones, muscles - everything) and IGF-1 which actually implements this "making things larger"

^unfortunately, like most things, all these factors are genetic.
(There would be other factors too) - I think categorizing body into 3 based on weight and look is oversimplification.

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th May 2011 at 15:44.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 19:54   #2929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
1. With such a depleted carb diet you didn't feel any loss of strength and stamina (initially)?
2. Why did you start with high reps (15-18)? Based on trainer's advice or your own?
3. When you shifted from high rep to low rep - did you experience a lesser "pumped up" feeling. Pumped feeling is not the pump which lasts for few minutes only. This pumped up feeling lasts for 1-3 days after the workout and is like a diminished version of the pump - but enough to make you feel "bigger".
4. Were you actually able to increase the lifts (for same no of reps) during your cutting phase?
5. When you did 6 sets - I assume the failure was not from first set onward. Rather the first few sets would be more like priming sets, wherein the cumulative fatigue sets in by the later sets and those later sets are taken to failure. Or were all sets done to failure?
6. Slow and steady movements (reps) or didn't care?
7. And of course thanks for your post.

SAMURAI:
It not even as simple as that.
The muscle "putting on" ability depends on lot of factors:
1. Underlying bone frame. The heavier and larger bones you have, the bigger muscle you can pack on.
2. The joint/ligament construction - the more robust (less flexible) the more weights your body can naturally handle - and thus more muscle in native state.
3. Tendon insertion into bone - the farther up your tendons insert - the slower movement they can produce, however they can exert greater force (lever action Class 3).
4. Consequent to the above point - the farther your tendon insertion - usually the longer your muscle belly is. The bigger muscle belly of course looks bigger than smaller one.
5. No of muscle cells. Some ppl have more some ppl have less. With exercise you can only increase the size of cells. Not the qty of cells.
6. Mix of slow/fast fibres. Slower fibres are more geared towards "stamina" activities - and lesser force. Fast fibres are more geared towards "strength" activities and generate higher force. This mix is again determined genetically.
7. Testosterone levels. The higher they are the more potentency to increase muscles (anabolic). However, Testosterone has other important jobs also in the body = androgenic.
8. Anabolic receptors = how much of that Testosterone will be used for muscle building.
9. Thyroid levels (TSH, TRH, T3 and T4 circuit) - which determines how much body fat your are going to carry - controls metabolism.
10. Natural levels of GHRH-HGH (human growth hormones) - which determines how large you will be (bones, muscles - everything) and IGF-1 which actually implements this "making things larger"

^unfortunately, like most things, all these factors are genetic.
(There would be other factors too) - I think categorizing body into 3 based on weight and look is oversimplification.
1. I did feel a loss of strength in the beginning because of such low carbs, I had to decrease the amount of weight I lift when trying to do a high rep and high volume full body workouts, its not possible to lift heavy and at the same time do high reps high volume full body workouts.

2. High reps will deplete the muscle glycogen much quicker than low or moderate reps, it burns more calories and also it was a complete change from the workout routine what I was following earlier which was like a shock to my body!

3. You will have to forget about the pump all together because it is not possible to hold a pump while on low carbs because there is no glycogen in the muscle and full body high reps workout will further deplete the muscle glycogen because of this most of the time you will look like crap in the mirror

4. As I mentioned above I did feel a loss of strength and lifts did not go up especially when I was doing 6 sets per body part, later when I changed it to 3 sets I could slightly increase the lifts but nothing dramatic.

5. All sets to failure because you still need to try to lift as heavy as possible but at the same time you should be able to complete the reps.

6. As long as the form is good I think its fine because while on high reps slow steady movements would be really difficult and when low on energy especially during the end of the workouts you will start loosing concentration and slow steady movements is not possible.

7. Welcome!

Last edited by Red Circle : 16th May 2011 at 19:56.
Old 19th May 2011, 01:41   #2930
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Has anyone ordered from Perfect Body - Commit to be fit ?
The site belongs to ARC Distributors (authorized distributors for
Gaspari in India-I got it confirmed from Gaspari Nutrition itself y'day).

I've been using Myofusion lately with good results and its offered price
on the site looks attractive (the same 5 lb. tub costs me Rs. 3200 here in Hyd.),
but not sure if they take online orders. Will contact them later but I
was wondering if anyone has ordered from them before.

Last edited by NK@Hyd : 19th May 2011 at 01:43. Reason: clarification.
Old 19th May 2011, 17:51   #2931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Hey Guys,

Has anyone ordered from Perfect Body - Commit to be fit ?
The site belongs to ARC Distributors (authorized distributors for
Gaspari in India-I got it confirmed from Gaspari Nutrition itself y'day).

I've been using Myofusion lately with good results and its offered price
on the site looks attractive (the same 5 lb. tub costs me Rs. 3200 here in Hyd.),
but not sure if they take online orders. Will contact them later but I
was wondering if anyone has ordered from them before.
Prices are indeed good.
Let us know if you buy from them or about the online buying.
Old 25th May 2011, 00:00   #2932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Prices are indeed good.
Let us know if you buy from them or about the online buying.
Sure. They said Myofusion is out of stock currently and the new stock will probably come in a month's time. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 25th May 2011, 14:40   #2933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Sure. They said Myofusion is out of stock currently and the new stock will probably come in a month's time. Will keep everyone posted.
do you need to register to see the prices? I dont see the prices!
Old 25th May 2011, 14:58   #2934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They need to fix their site as nothing really works!

Well i get myofusion for the same price anyways and that too stock ready.
Old 26th May 2011, 00:02   #2935
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't register but could see Myofusion's price before it went out of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
They need to fix their site as nothing really works!

Well i get myofusion for the same price anyways and that too stock ready.
Harry,

That's great! Do you procure it from a distributor? Any idea if they also ship to the South (Hyd, Bglr)?

Stumbled upon this online store, PlaygroundOnline, though they don't seem to have a lot of products. Has anyone dealt with them?
Old 26th May 2011, 00:45   #2936
Senior - BHPian

Myofusion is currently out of stock with most distributors i had checked with. This is sad as my protein got over and i needed it urgently. Damn first vegetarian and then cant get the protein i want :(
Guess i have to buy the dymatize elite whey protein for the first time..
Old 26th May 2011, 15:40   #2937
Senior - BHPian

Guys after nearly 1.5 years of hitting the gym, i took the plunge into the world of protein supplements.

started 2 days back with a single drink of myofusion ( Gaspari Nutrition ) after my morning work out.

noticed that i felt mildly feverish by about noon time yesterday and today which goes off after lunch.

not sure whether this is unrelated but do you guys have any such experience ?
Old 26th May 2011, 22:51   #2938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys after nearly 1.5 years of hitting the gym, i took the plunge into the world of protein supplements.

started 2 days back with a single drink of myofusion ( Gaspari Nutrition ) after my morning work out.

noticed that i felt mildly feverish by about noon time yesterday and today which goes off after lunch.

not sure whether this is unrelated but do you guys have any such experience ?
Feeling feverish I have never heard of, stomach upset, skin allergies/rashes is common.
Old 26th May 2011, 23:00   #2939
BHPian

Quote:
Feeling feverish I have never heard of, stomach upset, skin allergies/rashes is common.
Just remembered, one of my friend had once mentioned that he felt feverish after he took some protein powder so it could be possible.
Old 27th May 2011, 13:10   #2940
Senior - BHPian

ok guys - it may not be the protein. am down with some throat infection. tata to gym for another week i guess

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks