Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 22:40   #1876
BHPian

Okay guys, I am sitting on the fence on whether to take a protein supplement or not.
Will appreciate your suggestions.

I am an eggetarian and have been weight training for the past 2 months (5'8", 68 Kgs).
Most of my protein comes from the 5 eggs I take (3 whites, 2 wholes) in breakfast and
as a post workout snack in the evenings along with a glass of milk. Rest of the meals is
usually white rice (like all good south indians ), dal and subji, curd.

I recently read that the albumin protein from the egg is not ingested very quicky into the body
(the rate of ingestion is somewhere between those of whey and casein proteins). So, am I missing out a lot
by not taking a whey based protein food immediately after weight training?
If yes, please suggest a good post workout supplement (brand and product).

Thanks!

Last edited by NK@Hyd : 6th August 2009 at 22:43. Reason: indents!
Old 7th August 2009, 00:02   #1877
BHPian

^^NK - if you are seeing good enough gains with your existing diet then stick to the same. As your needs increase, you can start adding good protein supplements (whey/casein) which if you read the last 50 pages is what this thread is about :-)
Old 7th August 2009, 13:21   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Guys any replies to my Q below?????

@NK- Jassi is right.
I will suggest you to take a whey protein within the half hour time when your workout finishes. Self experience says it helps a lot
Old 7th August 2009, 14:57   #1879
BHPian

Thanks Jassi and Harsh.

Now if you guys can suggest me a good post workout supplement.

From the past few pages, looks like ON 100% Whey does not have a good rep here.
Any better supplement than this?

PS: Harsh, good to see someone from Fbd.
I lived there all my life (in sec-8 and 9) and just shifted to Hyd a year back!

-Naresh

Last edited by NK@Hyd : 7th August 2009 at 15:03. Reason: Indentation
Old 7th August 2009, 15:27   #1880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Thanks Jassi and Harsh.

Now if you guys can suggest me a good post workout supplement.

From the past few pages, looks like ON 100% Whey does not have a good rep here.
Any better supplement than this?

PS: Harsh, good to see someone from Fbd.
I lived there all my life (in sec-8 and 9) and just shifted to Hyd a year back!

-Naresh
Pleasure

I had tried -
ISO sensation 93- its excellent if you are looking for maximum amount of protein per serving.
Myofusion- Tastes like proper choco shake. Am still in the phase of using it but till now its good.
Muscletech Nitrotech Hardcore- I had it with me but will be trying it when myofusion finishes but couple of my friends tried it and they really liked the effect.
Now am trying to get my hands on Syntrax Nectar which am not able to find in NCR at the moment.
Check the ingredients for all these as per your requirement on BB.com.

ON is not as effective as others are. This has been confirmed by many experts.
If you are on a budget go for myofusion otherwise try the Iso sensation.

P.S- Nice to meet you as well. Fbd is a good place to live so am still here.
Also another member 'godog' is from fbd too.

Last edited by harry10 : 7th August 2009 at 15:29.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:38   #1881
BHPian

Thanks Yaar (now that we are country cousins ).

Will check these in the Reliance Wellness store near my place.
I know for a fact that they are loaded with ON, Ultimate Nutrition
and BSN stuff with a few Labradas thrown in.

Will report back.
Old 8th August 2009, 13:00   #1882
BHPian

@Tsk I took the advise given by you to some other member about covering 2.5KM in 15mins. I am doing that in 18 minutes as of now with 4 mins of warmup on 6Km/Hr and then running at 9Km/Hr till the time i hit 2.5KM. Its exhausting but i think by the end of the next week i should be able to nail it.

@Pranav I took you advise too and by next week i am joining a gym. I wanted to be in a bit of shape before i wanted to join a gym. Now that i am almost 89(From 100) i beleive i am ready. The thing which i have noticed is that my tummy fat has turned soft from hard as if it is full of jelly. I guess it should have been other way round. Or maybe this is the correct way.
Old 9th August 2009, 21:16   #1883
BHPian

I checked the Reliance Wellness store here in Vikrampuri, Hyd for their stock of supplements. Particularly wanted to check Iso Sensation 93, Myofusion and Muscletech Nitrotech as recommended by a few people here.

Out of these three, they just have Iso Sensation 93 in a few sizes and flavours (though they are loaded with other supplements):

2 lb (Choco Fudge, Vanilla; 28 servings) : Rs. 1913

3.5 lb (Cookies & Cream, Strawberry;50 servings): Rs. 2880

5 lb (Cookies & Cream, Strawberry; 67 servings) : Rs. 3915

These prices are after a 10% discount.

Would like to know how are these rates compared to elsewhere?
Old 9th August 2009, 22:24   #1884
Senior - BHPian

BMI/body fat values outside range!

So I ordered Omran HBF-400 body fat analyzer. works well for my wife, but for me it consistently gives "err4" (values outside range) for BMI and fat %age. I know I am on the lean side, my BMI was calculated 17 on websites (going by omran's calcylated weight). I am not so defecient on body fat either.

anybody knows what ranges do these machines use?
Old 9th August 2009, 22:48   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
yes gloves, belts, supports and all sorts of things, encouraged by the new age instructors!
Each time i do some light-weight squats or barbell presses or clean n press or deadlifts, the instructors keep telling me to wear belts. I am doing pull-ups and the instructors keep telling me to wear gloves or i will get rough skin in my palm! I call it natural grip and have it for 10+ years now and a week of vaseline makes it ok!

I mean if you keep wearing supports for everything how is the ligament going to develop - its only going to get weaker and weaker, until one day you forget the wrist/back support/glove/belt and the joint gives away cos its so not used to exercise or worse your ligament gives away in regular day to day activities cos its so wasted.
I would say supports are needed only for some really heavy lifts or if you are recovering from some injury (again no point working out through an injury). What you develop without supports are healthy joints and ligaments capable of handling the stresses of muscle building and lifting.
I seriously don't see a point in wearing supports for strengthening muscles and weakening joints n ligaments n tendons.

its really entertaining though to see a fully kitted health enthusiast - you know knee and elbow bands, wrist gloves, back support belt, headband, ipod sleeve, headsets, et al. ANd they have all this gear on all through the workout, whether they are doing cardio or lifting 500gms dumbbells
Good to see some one here actually doing the big lifts like the squat, deadlift, cleans and presses. It is the most efficient way to get strong. Look up coach Mark Rippetoe and his book /DVD called starting strength barbell training. My 14 year old son has been training for little over a year and has progressed to barbell back squat 85 kilos 3x5 following Rippetoe's program! Yes,its okay for kids to lift weights provided the form and progression is supervised . I train the lifts 3 times a week as well and find that its best way to keep strong as one gets older.
Old 9th August 2009, 22:54   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
So I ordered Omran HBF-400 body fat analyzer. works well for my wife, but for me it consistently gives "err4" (values outside range) for BMI and fat %age. I know I am on the lean side, my BMI was calculated 17 on websites (going by omran's calcylated weight). I am not so defecient on body fat either.

anybody knows what ranges do these machines use?
Look up Lyle Mcdonald on his subject of nutrition / diet , BMI etc, he is among the best. body fat analyzers etc, are not the best way.

Lyle McDonald - Bodyrecomposition is his website.
Old 9th August 2009, 23:40   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Ey, another Mark Rippetoe fan! o/ there!
Old 10th August 2009, 00:01   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärlsson View Post
Look up Lyle Mcdonald on his subject of nutrition / diet , BMI etc, he is among the best. body fat analyzers etc, are not the best way.

Lyle McDonald - Bodyrecomposition is his website.
I am not really concerned about my stats. just curious and disappointed that the new machine will be used only for my weight .
Old 10th August 2009, 11:59   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
I checked the Reliance Wellness store here in Vikrampuri, Hyd for their stock of supplements. Particularly wanted to check Iso Sensation 93, Myofusion and Muscletech Nitrotech as recommended by a few people here.

Out of these three, they just have Iso Sensation 93 in a few sizes and flavours (though they are loaded with other supplements):

2 lb (Choco Fudge, Vanilla; 28 servings) : Rs. 1913

3.5 lb (Cookies & Cream, Strawberry;50 servings): Rs. 2880

5 lb (Cookies & Cream, Strawberry; 67 servings) : Rs. 3915

These prices are after a 10% discount.

Would like to know how are these rates compared to elsewhere?

Those are very very good prices.what was the name of the importer on the label.was it paradise nutrition?
I bought it from chandigarh and the printed price was 5300 for 5 lbs.
and i got it for 4600 after discounts.you're getting a great deal IMHO
Old 10th August 2009, 12:48   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Those are very very good prices.what was the name of the importer on the label.was it paradise nutrition?
I bought it from chandigarh and the printed price was 5300 for 5 lbs.
and i got it for 4600 after discounts.you're getting a great deal IMHO
Yep, Paradise Nutrition. I think they are the sole distributors in India for Ultimate Nutrition products.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks