Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2009, 21:49   #1846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Wish there was a "fitness" season, where all of them would join a gym for 3 months, do their work and then run away.
There is, actually. Starts from 1st January, peaks around 14th February, and dies down by end of March.
Old 1st August 2009, 22:29   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I know our Indian food is heavy on oil and ghee and such.
I have recently changed my opinion on ghee though.

we know that excess of fat is bad, but body needs some fat to function properly. that trace amount, if taken in form of ghee is much better than partially hydrogenated oils which release free radicals which cause various problems, not to mention they break down while frying and become carcinogenic.

a long as diet is not loaded with ghee assuming it's good, and as long as we have a lifestyle that can burn it well, I think ghee/natural vegetable oil should be used instead of partially/un-hydrogenated fats.

expert comments?
Old 1st August 2009, 22:29   #1848
BHPian

^^ yeah the new year resolution gang - wears out by march :-)
which is why most gyms have a mid-year discount program to get these people back in
Old 2nd August 2009, 09:57   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
which is why most gyms have a mid-year discount program to get these people back in
hehe, true. And some of them do join back, lured by the discounts. and then remember why they quit in the first place, and are back to square one in no time.

I think the key to being a regular at workouts is to have variety in your workout. It helps in maintaining interest and also prevents the body from getting too used to a routine.
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:56   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
hehe, true. And some of them do join back, lured by the discounts. and then remember why they quit in the first place, and are back to square one in no time.

I think the key to being a regular at workouts is to have variety in your workout. It helps in maintaining interest and also prevents the body from getting too used to a routine.
a trick i have learnt over the years is varying the combination of muscles every 3 months or so (opposing or complementing) and changing the specific exercises or combination of exercises for the muscles every weak.
This has always kept things interesting for me and i may drop off gym for a month or 2 at times due to work/travel, but i still keep doing occasional body-weight exercises (dips, squats, etc) and when i am ready to get back, i am more than raring to go
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:11   #1851
BHPian

Thanks T-bhp !!! I think I'll live thru this shoulder injury !!! I had to drive to my factory (600 km round trip) did it all with my left hand (cvt helped) !!! I've been on the strict R-I-C-E regime. Using frozen gel packs thrice a day at a bare min. The skin is all red,..but I guess that's a sign that the Ice is getting the blood in where it matters !!! I need to also join Rhandle to Mayapuri to look at some jeeps,..for which I am gonna need both my hands (not like the cvt) !!! Hope it gets better !!
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:23   #1852
BHPian

Hey is the pain still there or gone - you could stop icing if the pain is gone ! Ice is for pain (by preventing too much blood flow) not healing. If you are overdoing it, the necessary nutrients will not be delivered for the healing. You need to just rest it and let the healing happen (heat will help at this stage)
If the pain is still the same as day 1 (despite rice) you need to see a doc maybe.

Take care!
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:40   #1853

Hi guys! can anyone help me in locating a decent gym in andheri..preferably east..midc ...checked out talwalkars but ..no permanent lockers and its small.
Old 3rd August 2009, 05:14   #1854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post

we know that excess of fat is bad, but body needs some fat to function properly. that trace amount, if taken in form of ghee is much better than partially hydrogenated oils which release free radicals which cause various problems, not to mention they break down while frying and become carcinogenic.

a long as diet is not loaded with ghee assuming it's good, and as long as we have a lifestyle that can burn it well, I think ghee/natural vegetable oil should be used instead of partially/un-hydrogenated fats.

expert comments?
Vegetable oil is good, but for those of us who eat out or are forced to eat out, we have no control over the cooking process :(
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:12   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Vegetable oil is good, but for those of us who eat out or are forced to eat out, we have no control over the cooking process :(
agreed, but if you have option get a mocrowave and cook yourself. I did oil-less cooking for 2 years in microwave. Except for rotis (which i substituted with wheat bread), you can pretty much cook any vegetables, sabji, dal, rice in microwave. Put the ghee on top or if you absolutely need oil to cook, use olive oil.
Also when cooking on gas i would recommend olive oil for light frying/cooking and groundnut oil for deep frying.
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:28   #1856
BHPian

Quote:
agreed, but if you have option get a mocrowave and cook yourself. I did oil-less cooking for 2 years in microwave. Except for rotis (which i substituted with wheat bread), you can pretty much cook any vegetables, sabji, dal, rice in microwave. Put the ghee on top or if you absolutely need oil to cook, use olive oil.
Also when cooking on gas i would recommend olive oil for light frying/cooking and groundnut oil for deep frying.
i do have a microwave. Now i get food delivered by carrier though, so the situation has improved a lot . The food is excellent, with nary a hint of excess oil or ghee.
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:44   #1857
BHPian

Quote:

expert comments?
I'm definitely not an expert, but I do know that ghee in moderation is actually good for us. Some time last year, I stopped putting ghee on my rotis in a bid to lose weight, but now I'm having some ghee again. And I have lost weight (not BECAUSE of the ghee, but in spite of it).

Quote:
Hahah, absolutely true. But if you're really determined, then nothing can stop you. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Absolutely, I think variety really helps. Changing your work out in some way or the other, or taking a very short break also helps. :-) I recently took a short break, and it was during that period that I actually lost some inches!
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:20   #1858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

a long as diet is not loaded with ghee assuming it's good............
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargirl View Post
Some time last year, I stopped putting ghee on my rotis in a bid to lose weight, but now I'm having some ghee again. And I have lost weight (not BECAUSE of the ghee, but in spite of it).
ummmmmmm, well, all's well that ends well.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:02   #1859
BHPian

Quote:
Hey is the pain still there or gone - you could stop icing if the pain is gone ! Ice is for pain (by preventing too much blood flow) not healing. If you are overdoing it, the necessary nutrients will not be delivered for the healing. You need to just rest it and let the healing happen (heat will help at this stage)
If the pain is still the same as day 1 (despite rice) you need to see a doc maybe.

Take care!
Thanks Jassi,..the pain for the most part is gone while at rest or during daytoday range of motions.
Raise my hands over my head level and it still hurts,..but definitely less intensity. So its a wait and watch at this stage.
Old 4th August 2009, 16:15   #1860
BHPian

This month's Men's Health has a lot of Neulife ads.
Among them is one where the MD of Neulife Store, Samit Gupta (SPN, CFT)
has put together a quick reference guide to supplements (pgs 12-13).

Comments?

Last edited by NK@Hyd : 4th August 2009 at 16:15. Reason: spelling

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks