Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2007, 12:10   #16
BHPian

two days ago, there was a diffenrent thread running on sunglasses, which i guess mods've deleted due to duplicay...there i had posted regarding how i got my zeiss powereded sunglasses done.....

anyways, here it is....

i've spherical number (-1) both eyes....i have used many branded sunglasses in past years but i had to wear soft lenses on the eyes before i wore sunglasses....over long driving/outdoor times, the soft lenses caused lot of etching and all the time carrying the Renu solution/carrycase/eyedrops was cumbersome.....

other option was powered Transition (photochromatic) glasses but I never liked them...

one fineday i went to a zeiss dealer near me.....i told her that i need to buy zeiss gradient glasses but condition is i would like to fit it in branded sunglass frame....gradient glasses are the ones which have most dark shades at the top and the color becomes light towards the bottom...i wanted grey shade.....the difficult part was to find a proper branded sunglass frame which has very less curvature to fit the zeiss lens...

the dealer said she needs to chek the 'feasibility' and will get back, but I have to pay for the lenses though (very expensive ones)....after two days she called me saying that it is possible...

the result was excellent...i got powereed zeiss lenses with gray gradient + ARC + scratchproff coating fitted in sunglasses frame...fit and finish of zeiss is amazing....the ziess glasses come with Laser cut mark(logo)....they provided me with a small CD that had unique manufacituing number itched on it....the cd contained manufacuring details of my lenses...the dealer was also happy to try this experiment (offcourse @ my cost)

cost of zeiss powerred sunglass + ARC + SPC = Rs.4000/-

one can have sunglass frame of his choice but make sure it has very less curvature...i guess the squarish ones available in FastTrack would be good & cheap ones to try for....
Old 21st June 2007, 13:26   #17
BHPian

Can please someone in this business or having knowledge about glasses answer this for me :-

How are Vintage / fastrack / Idee brands in terms of U protection, glass quality etc when compared with Ray ban and Armanis ???
Old 21st June 2007, 13:36   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
Can please someone in this business or having knowledge about glasses answer this for me :-

How are Vintage / fastrack / Idee brands in terms of U protection, glass quality etc when compared with Ray ban and Armanis ???
A glass which says 100% UV protection(UVA/UVB) or any such percentage will give you such protection as long as it from the reputed manufacturer.
As for brand, you can get a 100% UV protective glass unbranded for 400rs, and branded for 100,000$. Its about how much you want to spend.
Titan Fastrack, Ray Ban etc., are all reputed companies.
Old 21st June 2007, 19:16   #19
BHPian

I suggest Ray Ban too. Normal glasses do not fit the sunglasses frames easily (observe a normal glass and a pair of sunglasses, sunglasses have a curved shape).
If you use any local ones, the axis of this changes and for people with higher power it causes more pain than gain!. You get glasses that fit the ray ban's well too. But they are EXPENSIVE!!
I went with a budget of 2K and ended up paying 5K for frame and 1.5K for glasses. As always we are known for overshooting the budgets!!
Old 21st June 2007, 22:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

I had called Zeiss in Bangalore. They advised I spoke to their Kolkata office. This office said Zeiss does not make powered sun glasses. Period. Kept the phone down.
I think coloured lens upto -4 is feasible. Beyond that apparently it isn't possible in India.
In 1999 when my power was 8.5 and 7.5 I had got black swimming glasses made in Australia during my trip there - they took seven days to deliver it. Those glasses are not that thick (and boy it really looks cool). Therefore I am sure the technology is there but perhaps not in India.
Old 1st November 2007, 15:41   #21
BHPian

Drivewear Lens

Bringing back an old thread.

I need glasses for daily use. I have VERY LOW power.
What I am looking for is glasses that I can use during the day and night. During day, I need need the effect of sunglasses and at night, clear glasses.

I have come across the following website for Drivewear;
DrivewearWeb
It looks very encouraging because during day, they turn dark like normal sunglasses - even behind windshield, and at night they become clear.

Has anyone bought these recently?
Do you know where I can find them in Pune?
Any other alternatives that are new in the market?
Old 1st November 2007, 16:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I had called Zeiss in Bangalore. They advised I spoke to their Kolkata office. This office said Zeiss does not make powered sun glasses. Period. Kept the phone down.
I think coloured lens upto -4 is feasible. Beyond that apparently it isn't possible in India.
In 1999 when my power was 8.5 and 7.5 I had got black swimming glasses made in Australia during my trip there - they took seven days to deliver it. Those glasses are not that thick (and boy it really looks cool). Therefore I am sure the technology is there but perhaps not in India.
Sudipto, I am in the same boat as you are, except that my glasses power is a bit lower than yours. I wear high index glasses with photochromatic coating. I too could not get a pair of goggles for me.
As regards Lasik, I had passed the corneal thickness test at Maxivision a couple of years back, but decided against it due to a second opinion I took from another opthalmologist. That guy said he would give a clean chit to Lasik only after it was 10 years old, by when all complications would have been publicly known. He was not sure if a lasered eye could withstand a cataract operation when the patient gets to his 60s.
Do let me know if you get any sun-glasses that suit you.
Old 1st November 2007, 18:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

I am going to be in india (2 days in delhi) in december. can somebody point me to a place in Delhi where i can get transitions lense glasses? i have been wearing -.75 for 4-5 years, but will get an examination done again and then order them.
Old 1st November 2007, 18:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

MY mom broke my pair of fastrack polaroirds, (i paid 1.4k for it) ei have been hunting for the same pair of fastrack polaroids, and i have not beeen able to get them, it seems titan has stopped making that particular model. i have a very ugly shaped head and that was the only pair of glass that looked good. well too bad i guess, i will have tto look around for another pair soon.
Old 1st November 2007, 20:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Vivek - Which area of Delhi are you going to be in?
Old 1st November 2007, 20:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

probably in gurgaon. I am told my friend's place is close to the airport.

and i guess it's too early to look out for TBHP meets. besides, monday and tuesday are not the best days to have meets I guess. (am flying off to my town after that)
Old 1st November 2007, 23:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
probably in gurgaon. I am told my friend's place is close to the airport.
Lots of good Optical shops in the malls. I would recommend Dayal Opticals out of personal experience with them. Won't be very cheap by Indian standards though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
and i guess it's too early to look out for TBHP meets. besides, monday and tuesday are not the best days to have meets I guess. (am flying off to my town after that)
Tell us a week or two in advance & we'll have a small meet when you're here. You heard wrong about the days, any day is a good day for a Delhi meet!
Old 5th November 2007, 01:27   #28

Gents,

I got various types of priscribed sun glasses for me as it's my need. The best thing one can do is to get any frame (Ray Ban, Police, Okhlays, etc..) & ask optician to fit Carl ziess Transition lense (if u want day-night...Best for drivers) with anti glare (cost app 3-3.5K).with The bew technology the lenses can be made with any type of curves as per frames.
or if you want real dark one, Ziess has plenty of types.
Please ask any quetions for detailed knowlage of lenses & frames.
Old 5th November 2007, 09:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sudipto and vnabhi, and anybody else with high glass power - consider switching to contacts; (10 to 14 hours wears on normal days; up to 18 hours two to three times a month - that is how long I keep them on). Then use a sunglass as normal.

On long trips you will have to carry around that lousy lens container and liquid though.

Do not worry about dust - drive with full time A/C; or glass 75% rolled up.
Old 5th November 2007, 14:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel-X View Post
Please ask any questions for detailed knowledge of lenses & frames.
Any recommended optician? I have seen Dinshaws in Camp, Lawrence & Mayo & GKB (I think thats the right initials) optician. None have mentioned Zeiss lenses yet.
Looking for optician around Camp or Kalyaninagar. Who do you use?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks