Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2012, 22:03   #16
BHPian

re: Nostalgia : Reviving the memories of long gone brands

Oh man...those good old days with GOLD SPOT, never had anything like that in a long time. Me and my brother were allowed a drink every weekend with Crax (these are still around but taste nothing like they used to). Those were the days.
Old 13th February 2012, 22:57   #17
BHPian

People in TN , do you remember bovonto. It's rare to find one these days, it tastes like cough syrup.
Old 13th February 2012, 23:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

IMO if they revive the strong taste and fizz of original Thums-up that is more than enough for me.
Old 14th February 2012, 07:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

I'd love to see Uncle Chipps (PLEASE!), Sprint, Gold Spot and Torino (THE BAAP of all orange bevs) back in full swing!

I'm aware some of them are still on sale very remotely, just that its not there when/where you want it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There was another lime flavored clear soda drink which we used to buy for Rs.2 during childhood, its name was 'Sprint'.
Sprint is still very much on sale, I don't see it anywhere in Tvm, I make it a point to pull over and drink it whenever I see it in some stores, it somehow tastes different. Last I drank it was a month ago at a shop at Thrissur Circle near the Indian Coffee House.
Old 14th February 2012, 19:06   #20
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
People in TN , do you remember bovonto. It's rare to find one these days, it tastes like cough syrup.
Where are you put up?

Go to the Rajapalayam bus terminal. Literally every shop in there has Bovonto. I actually quite enjoy that taste, cough syrup with a fizz!
Old 14th February 2012, 19:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
... would like to discuss our favorite brands that should be revived. What would you like to see?...
Good topic for a thread, selfdrive

"Gold Spot" defintely brings back nostalgic memories. As also, "Thums Up", "Fryums" (where the brand name became a generic name for that type of snack) and of course, the orange and white "Chiclets" chewing-gum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Canada Dry anybody? ...
Guess it was a brand under the Cadbury Schweppe's group, as also "Crush".

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
You will be surprised to know that Bovonto is currently available in many shops/super-markets in Chennai .
Old 14th February 2012, 21:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
IMO if they revive the strong taste and fizz of original Thums-up that is more than enough for me.
Guess what, of all the places I've gulped thums-up, Bombay and Goa is the only place where I felt it still has the punch. It just doesn't taste the same here in Banglore and chennai.
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
I'd love to see Uncle Chipps (PLEASE!), Sprint, Gold Spot and Torino (THE BAAP of all orange bevs) back in full swing!

I'm aware some of them are still on sale very remotely, just that its not there when/where you want it.

Sprint is still very much on sale, I don't see it anywhere in Tvm, I make it a point to pull over and drink it whenever I see it in some stores, it somehow tastes different. Last I drank it was a month ago at a shop at Thrissur Circle near the Indian Coffee House.
Uncle Chipps is already back with the same flavors!
Old 23rd February 2012, 01:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
How about the small ice cream pieces called Bon bons or something?
Biscuits called Delite by Britannia which had an orange filling. Awesomest biscuits I ever had.
I also liked the Petit Beurre biscuits but got used to better ones outside later.
Selfdrive
Hi the delite orange did not have a filling but was orange flavoured a bit on the harder side.Another flavour was ginger(loved it and a few days back was talking to my brother about that).Unfortunately both were taken off as gingers shelf life was not very long.
Bluethunder
Todays Economic Times has an article that Coca Cola is reviving Crush and Schweppes.
The brand I miss the most is Rogers with 32 yes 32 flavours and the best were raspberry,vimto,romango,lemon(Dukes lemon was better),icecream soda,ginger etc.
Once in a while I still get raspberry from Hindusthan but the supply is erratic.
Another missing brand is Surat based Sosyo widely available between Bombay and Baroda
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 23rd February 2012 at 01:43.
Old 23rd February 2012, 01:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There was another lime flavored clear soda drink which we used to buy for Rs.2 during childhood, its name was 'Sprint'. Would like to see that also revived
Your prayers have been answered.

Sprint is available for a long time in some parts of Kerala.

I believe most of the sales are through bars - never remember seeing any in shops.

DRUNKEN DRIVING IS PUNISHABLE (ie: IF U R ALIVE)

@ CONDOR - The drink was called SKI. Ski Oranj & Ski Limon IIRC.

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 23rd February 2012 at 01:52.
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:44   #26
BHPian

I agree with everyone who said that Gold Spot should be revived. It was a really strong brand and a very good product. I still remember the smell of the little white rubber circles from under the crown cap which I would pick out with my fingernails and collect for prize contests.

Any fans of Cadbury's Double Decker bar? That was another great product which should be revived.

A few others worth mentioning are Parle's 'Fudgy' chocolate bar, the Melody toffee with a red wrapper and Phantom Cigarettes.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 23rd February 2012 at 16:46.
Old 24th February 2012, 07:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Any fans of Cadbury's Double Decker bar? That was another great product which should be revived.
really, did we get Double deckers here? My friends/ colleagues from UK would be relieved if it were to be launched here. I keep pestering them to bring some packs when they come to India
Old 24th February 2012, 10:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Almost a smiliar thread exists, but the discussion is more into aerated soft drinks.
Please check here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...available.html
Old 24th February 2012, 11:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leistung View Post
Torino- nothing tastes like it!! Wish this brand is revived. Campa cola, oh yeah, my first cola drink
I guess Torino is still in production. I pass by the Torino factory on Mysore road everyday. They have put up a huge hoarding where they state that they are looking for distributors. But, I don't see any activity at all in the premises
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 11:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I guess Torino is still in production. I pass by the Torino factory on Mysore road everyday. They have put up a huge hoarding where they state that they are looking for distributors. But, I don't see any activity at all in the premises
Great! Thanks buddy..will hunt down a bottle of Torino, I've been longing to have ine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks