Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2024, 14:07   #6586
Team-BHP Support

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
About the ants problem, you can try multitude of solutions but the only thing that will work 100% and without taking your peace of mind is;
Build a moat eh? Will keep this as the last option because with so many kittens around, it might become a mess.

I'm thinking of ordering "herbal" ant repellant spray from Amazon. It specifically says baby and pet safe. Need to see if it works (but not very hopeful)
https://www.amazon.in/Strategi-Repel.../dp/B0768CLFTY

Team-BHPians and their Pets-screenshot_1.jpg
Old 9th June 2024, 14:27   #6587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Build a moat eh? Will keep this as the last option because with so many kittens around, it might become a mess.

Attachment 2614271
Cats generally eat nicely without creating a mess. There would be some food that will fall inside the water though. That's why it'd need cleaning regularly. But it is not that much of a hassle compared to the ant problem.

I stay away from any sprays. Not good for pets. Sprays end up in unintended consequences. Who knows what herbal means for the seller. The last option of keeping food surrounded by water is what will work after experimenting with everything.
Old 9th June 2024, 15:16   #6588
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to buy a citrus-based spray which deterred ants. It was made by an Indian company (Amrutha-somehing), but I don't think it was aimed at the home market, as it was very expensive. It smelt wonderful --- and was claimed to be completely safe for, eg, kitchen-surface use.

These days, I use a poison which is absolutely not safe for man or animal, but it is very effective. One needs to put a little near their trail. They like it, and will take traces back to the nest, which will be wiped out. If one can find a place where cats will not go...

I know: anticide. I'm not proud of it! I used to try not to kill anything, and say that India turned me into a mass murderer! If it was just a bunch of creatures nipping in to clean up some waste food, I wouldn't mind, but I fear that their burrowing would eventually destroy the house.
Old 9th June 2024, 15:24   #6589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I know: anticide. I'm not proud of it! I used to try not to kill anything, and say that India turned me into a mass murderer! If it was just a bunch of creatures nipping in to clean up some waste food, I wouldn't mind, but I fear that their burrowing would eventually destroy the house.
Reminds me of the famous short story Leiningen Versus the Ants

Turmeric powder is also very effective.
If some food is kept on the floor encircled by turmeric powder, there is no way ants can cross the circle.
Old 10th June 2024, 22:39   #6590
Senior - BHPian

Met my cats after a month.

I had come to India for a vacation and left the cats at friend's place who already has 5 cats.
My cats took about a week to settle in but once they did - it was a riot, per our friend. Her cats are adult and these young adults brought along playfulness and foolery in their massive home!

When I went to pick them I didn't know what to expect. I knew dogs go crazy seeing their owner after a while but cats, I wasn't sure. I was apprehensive. Will they recognize me? will they think I am a stranger? Will they come with me? Will they take time to settle back in? So many questions!

So I went in and when my cats saw me they were nonchalant. They didn't run away nor did they jump into my arms like dogs on Instagram. It was a pretty lukewarm reunion to be honest. In that one month, I can see the shy one has grown slightly bigger.
Apart from that nothing changed. Per our friend, after a week they both went about their business as usual - running around, chasing stuff, just being cats all around and bringing joy.

It was time to bring them home and when we put them in carriers our friend couldn't say goodbye to them. She was going to miss them terribly. In one month both had made special space for themselves among 5 other cats.

Once back home, both cats acted a little curious but didn't freak out; clearly they had some memory of their old home. By evening, both had found their comfort spots and scratch posts. By night, both started playing usual game of ambush and had food.

By next day both started purring and rubbing their bodies against ours and by night of that day both jumped into lap and demanded some attention - and just like that everything was back to normal just like the day I left them.
Old 10th June 2024, 23:07   #6591
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Met my cats after a month. When I went to pick them I didn't know what to expect.
Me returning home after 15 days:

Male cat (outdoor stray) -> Just a curt "rowl". Being a feral, he does not know how to "meow" or show affection like a typical house cat. No issues, he is an irregular visitor anyway.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240608_180704.jpg

Female cat (outdoor stray) -> Eyes wide open for a moment and then came running over. After that, there was (continuous 5 or 10 seconds meow + rubbing) & then repeat again

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240608_180740.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th June 2024 at 23:14.
Old 11th June 2024, 03:19   #6592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Met my cats after a month.

... ... ...

So I went in and when my cats saw me they were nonchalant. They didn't run away nor did they jump into my arms like dogs on Instagram. It was a pretty lukewarm reunion to be honest.
... ... ...

By next day both started purring and rubbing their bodies against ours and by night of that day both jumped into lap and demanded some attention - and just like that everything was back to normal just like the day I left them.
It's quite usual for cats to sulk in this situation. Anything from half an hour to a day or so!

Nice to know that your cats had a lovely holiday. The unusual thing here is that they were so readily accepted by the residents cats.
Old 11th June 2024, 05:39   #6593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The unusual thing here is that they were so readily accepted by the residents cats.
Timid and older cats. When I first took my cats to their place, all of them sniffed at the cage and left. A week later two of them (comparatively younger) made friends with mine and rest didn't bother. I was worried a little but was assured all existent residents were well behaved and that turned out to be true!
Old 11th June 2024, 10:40   #6594
BHPian

Quote:
I'm thinking of ordering "herbal" ant repellant spray from Amazon. It specifically says baby and pet safe. Need to see if it works (but not very hopeful)
This is a mix of natural repellents - cintronella + others. Very effective in keeping away ants, however note that is pungent, perhaps try this in a diluted form around the feeding bowl.
Had used this spray when we had an infestation of weaver ants. I'd sprayed it directly on the nests, stems and around the base of the pots holding the infested plants. Our dog doesn't was not really bothered by this, continued with his searching duties around the pots.
Old 11th June 2024, 10:55   #6595
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
however note that is pungent, perhaps try this in a diluted form around the feeding bowl.
Got it already. I actually find it pleasant, it smells a bit like Eucalyptus oil. Regarding effectiveness, so far so good.

This company seems to have lots of herbal products for mosquitoes/ cockroaches etc. But is it a pest repellant or a killer?

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th June 2024 at 11:51.
Old 11th June 2024, 11:38   #6596
BHPian

Quote:
Got it already. I actually find it pleasant, it's smells a bit like Eucalyptus oil. Regarding effectiveness, so far so good.
This company seems to have lots of herbal products for mosquitoes/ cockroaches etc. But is it a pest repellant or a killer?
Agreed it has a pleasant herbal smell our human noses - I suspect it is far more pungent to dogs and cats.

What I notice is that direct application kind of scorches leaves and kills ants. Their anti cockroach spray is also quite effective - haven't verified if it kills the roaches, they sure avoid the places it it applied.
Old 11th June 2024, 14:33   #6597
BHPian

TLDR: Pet suggestions for someone living alone.

Hi Guys, former pet parent here. Grew up with dogs in the family home with labs, indies, rotties and GSDs. Raised 2 labs and a gsd closely since I was 16-17, with help from family members ofcourse.

They passed away before covid, and I moved outside of the family home 2 years back.

I now live alone and yearn to keep a pet. Dogs have been a major part of my life and the void has just been growing.

The dilemma is, my work means I will be away from my apartment everyday for 8-9 hours, and from what I understand dogs go through massive separation anxiety. I really want to adopt but I think I need to go for a few specific breeds which either can stay away from their owners for 6-8 hours and have low exercise needs. (I plan for a morning and evening routine everyday for walks). A few that come to mind are basset hound, maltese, boston terrier. I don't think it'' be ok for a labrador, gsd or a doberman. Have heard that a bullmastiff, great dane are also surprisingly good apartment dogs with the great dane on with a morning and evening routine.

Any suggestions for a dog? Should I get one if I am away 5 days a week, going to office and back? Don't want to be cruel to a pet just because I want their company. I am good with small and large breeds, having experience with both. The guard/protection dog breeds are also ok but not my first preference as of now.

I have no experience with cats, hence anyone with knowledge can maybe shed a light on this.
Old 11th June 2024, 15:32   #6598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp666 View Post

Any suggestions for a dog? Should I get one if I am away 5 days a week, going to office and back? Don't want to be cruel to a pet just because I want their company. I am good with small and large breeds, having experience with both. The guard/protection dog breeds are also ok but not my first preference as of now.
Haven't had experiences with dogs across the breeds you mentioned, but to my limited knowledge, no dog is okay with separation for that period, unless someone's there to look after them (e.g. caretaker, family member, etc.). My recommendation would be a big NO.

Quote:
I have no experience with cats, hence anyone with knowledge can maybe shed a light on this.
Here I can help. If you get two cats (preferably from the same litter), you can subject them to your lifestyle. They are pretty carefree as long as there's sufficient food and water and a usable litter box.

But you need to figure out if you are a cat person. Dogs & cats aren't interchangable as pets. Try spending some time (week or two) by feeding and interacting with a local outdoor cat/kitten for starters. If you know anyone with an indoor cat(s); try spending a few hours (the longer the better) to get to know what it is like living with a cat or two.
Old 23rd June 2024, 13:38   #6599
Team-BHP Support

The balcony cats got an accomodation upgrade - a kids' tent house!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240622_120000.jpg

Inside the cat house, there is a large hall, big enough to accomodate the mother cat and her 6 kittens. Don't miss the luxurious Persian carpets on the floor.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240622_112737.jpg

Temperature in Bangalore is already dropping down to 21 degrees centigrade at night, accompanied by winds. So there is also a large box lined with packaging material (called EPE foam, used instead of styrofoam/thermocol these days). When it is not cold, the kittens sleep on top of the box too. It is also an advantageous position in case of fights with other kittens

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240621_145411.jpg

Note that the tent house also has a 'door' that can be closed when it is raining. For extra protection against wind & heavy rains, the balcony is also now covered partly with water-proof shower curtains:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240623_131239.jpg

Meanwhile, I just realized that mother cats are amazing creatures:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240621_125525.jpg

These are her responsibilities:

- Daily cleaning routine. All the kittens smell fresh!
- Keep the balcony clean. She has already taught the kittens to go outside to do its 'bathroom business'.
- Obviously, give milk to kittens. Although these days, she is trying to wean them away.
- Play with the kittens, to hone their hunting skills
- Hunt and bring home dead mice! Despite eating cat food, the mother cat ensures that the kittens eat mice.
- Take all the kittens out at night for hunting practice.

Dead mice is brought in and eaten on top of the garage (see night mode pic), thereby keeping the balcony clean. Was surprised to learn that cats/kittens eat mice bones too. So there is nothing left behind:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240622_223022.jpg

Meanwhile, I found a kitten food brand (made by Drools) that has 34% protein. Priced well too (Rs. 430 for 2.4 kgs)

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240622_111627.jpg

However, this kitten seems to be worried about something (Ukraine conflict & risk of World War 3 perhaps):

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240622_120646.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd June 2024 at 22:12.
Old 23rd June 2024, 15:31   #6600
BHPian

Quote:
Inside the cat house, there is a large hall, big enough to accomodate the mother cat and her 6 kittens.
Quote:
Identify the number of kittens in this pic (winners will get the opportunity to gift me cat food):
Attachment 2613411
We finally have the answer to this question.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks