Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2024, 14:40   #6571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Hello all,

I have an opportunity now to adopt a male pup (golden retriever). But before I commit myself into that I want to know from those who have been there and done that everything regarding...

1. Food, clothing, shelter
2. Activities
3. Training
4. Financial impact
5. Any other aspects

Oh yeah, any PDIs on this adoption

Please advise.
The biggest investment will be your time and few sacrifices. It depends how you look at the return on that investment, for most it is invaluable!

Once you have a dog at home, everything revolves around him/her. Your travel, road trips, socializing etc all need to be planned keeping the dog's interest in mind.

For a Goldie, approx cost would be:
1. Food - Rs. 8-10K per month for a premium dog food like Farmina plus chicken, eggs and not to forget treats (all inclusive you may spend between Rs. 10-12K per month) When you go for a vacation and cannot take your dog then it is minimum 1K a night at a reasonable dog shelter.
2. Goldies require a lot of exercise so be prepared to spend an hour a day (min) to walk or jog with him/her. They need space to play so if you are in an apartment with no space in the society, then look for a smaller breed.
3. Easily trainable but initial investment would be nearly 20-40K dependent on the place of residence, type of training, trainer etc. But as said earlier, you need to invest your time and be patient. Watch Marley & Me movie and you would know that even the most trainable dog breeds (Lab in this case) can be extremely difficult.
4. Yearly check ups, vaccinations and as they grow old the vet bills would go higher. Consider him/her as your family member and think for a period of min 11-13 years. No one can give you a number but it will definitely run in lakhs for any breed for their lifelong. Don't forget Vets aren't saint so they shall have their ways to get money out of you
5. It is a lifelong commitment. Don't get swayed by their puppy looks, insta reels and so forth. If you are up for a commitment of 11-15 years, only then go for it.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 11th May 2024 at 14:42.
Old 13th May 2024, 09:47   #6572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
...Please advise.
I addition to the excellent advice from Iyencar and VWAllstar, my 0.02 paisa:

Adopting a pet dog is akin to adopting a baby. Except in this case, this baby will never grow up to speak your language, except through eyes and body language.
There is immense commitment and care required. Constant worry for your pet will now be a part of your life whenever you leave it at a boarding place, alone at home or to a vet.

But all this is nothing compared to the love and compassion that you get from them. No-strings-attached.
Old 13th May 2024, 10:12   #6573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Adopting a pet dog is akin to adopting a baby. Except in this case, this baby will never grow up to speak your language, except through eyes and body language.
Yes, that's so true, he will never speak your language. But but with time you will understand his language, when he wants to play, when he wants the cuddle, when he needs attention, when he wants the joy ride, when he's mischievous, when he's scared and when he's aggressive. One learns their subtle language with time. I even know what he's upto with the flap of his ears. The best is when his eyes droop when he gets the scolding for messing up something, most heart wrenching is when he sits staring at the door for hours waiting for you to come back, doesn't eat his food or drink his water till we are back, that hurts your inner core. And I can see it on the camera, but can't do anything.

So, when we are back, he gets loads of treats and love which is nothing as compared to what we get in return. I don't know what they must be thinking of us humans.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_9271.jpeg

Quote:
But all this is nothing compared to the love and compassion that you get from them. No-strings-attached.
Completely agreed, they are stress busters. In my friend’s circle, I highly recommend everyone to get one, definitely after explaining them the pros and cons. It's a life time commitment. The only grouse is, that they will cross the rainbow bridge someday and leave a vacuum in your life.

Last edited by NomadSK : 13th May 2024 at 10:14.
Old 27th May 2024, 20:02   #6574
BHPian

My boy Pablo. 2.5 Years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20230918_125813858_ios.jpg  

Old 6th June 2024, 10:32   #6575
Team-BHP Support

Houston, we have a problem:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240606_073213.jpg

I looked at the security camera footage, and we suspect the invasion happened from the unsecured southern border yesterday night.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240605_220540.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240605_220616.jpg

Quite surprising that these kittens can leap across this chasm with confidence:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240606_123844.jpg

We think she might have sneaked them in. But for now, she is just a suspect:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240606_123622.jpg

The kittens were munching on adult dry cat food that was in the bowl. What exactly is the difference between kitten food and adult food? Smaller kibbles?

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th June 2024 at 13:05.
Old 6th June 2024, 10:47   #6576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Houston, we have a problem:
I'm sure that's not the view for your kids Fun times for a while.

Quote:
The kittens were munching on adult dry cat food that was in the bowl. What exactly is the difference between kitten food and adult food? Smaller kibbles?
Google tells me nutrient mix is different, aligned to the growth requirements; however in the past I have mistakenly purchased kitten food instead of adult food (and visa versa); both scenarios the kitten or the adult cat ate either option.
Old 6th June 2024, 11:53   #6577
BHPian

Quote:
I have had dogs all along. Generally I have all kinds of dry dog food at home, from puppies to adults and I know what to feed to whom and most of them have a stomach of steel. They have never thrown any tantrums regarding food.

Recently I started giving cat food to 2 stray cats and they were enjoying it and also having mild fights for it. Within months, I have around 8 to feed now, of different age groups. Problem is, some of them don't eat the dry kibble (large or small size) and completely ignores, irrespective of the kibble size, so I have to get wet gravy type food for them, which they relish and I have seen a lot of serious fights among them to have this wet gravy food and ready to kill each other for that, probably that's their favorite and they relish this. It felt the hard dry kibble is too tough for them to chew or they were just too lazy to munch.

Now I have to feed the ones which doesn't eat the dry food in safe environment away from the bully ones, that's another added task.

These are the most voracious ones. Now I know where the term "Catfights" come from
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_4432.jpeg  

Old 6th June 2024, 18:20   #6578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... What exactly is the difference between kitten food and adult food? Smaller kibbles?
It's probably more expensive. I'm sure they do change the formula, but whether it is worth it or not, I doubt and never bothered with it.

Weaning doesn't happen in a day, so, in addition to the solid food, they are getting mum-milk nutrition too. In fact, weaning goes on as long as the mother allows. When she gets completely fed up, she will kick them away.
Old 7th June 2024, 14:34   #6579
Team-BHP Support

Hmm. These little critters have a big appetite. At this rate, I will have to opt for a GoFundMe campaign. This time, I bought a cheaper brand called KITEKAT, which is about 50% cheaper than Whiskas.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240607_142452.jpg

Despite being significantly cheaper, it has 30% protein just like Whiskas. It is made by the same company too (Mars International). It is cheaper probably because it is made in India (unlike Whiskas that is imported from Thailand).

Identify the number of kittens in this pic (winners will get the opportunity to gift me cat food):

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240607_140659.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th June 2024 at 14:39.
Old 7th June 2024, 14:46   #6580
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I can see nine cats! What a lovely family
Old 8th June 2024, 10:01   #6581
BHPian

Quote:

Identify the number of kittens in this pic (winners will get the opportunity to gift me cat food):

Attachment 2613411
I counted twice, I guess there are 12.
Old 8th June 2024, 14:25   #6582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2613411
Mirror, mirror on the wall.
Who’s the smart(cat) of them all?

P.s. I count 7.
Old 9th June 2024, 10:01   #6583
Senior - BHPian

I'm counting not enough cats
Old 9th June 2024, 13:17   #6584
Team-BHP Support

So this unusual situation has resulted in unexpected problems - because of (excess) food in the bowl, it is attracting ants & large outdoor flies. To keep the flies away, I'm covering the bowl with a clean cloth. Works very well. To get rid of the ant problem, we are wiping the balcony clean using (water + extra lyzol).

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240609_130646.jpg

Lyzol is largely effective, but not has not eliminated the problem completely. Any other liquid we can add to water to keep away ants from the open balcony? Dettol perhaps?

All the kittens are toilet trained by the mother cat. They go outside, keeping the balcony mostly clean:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240609_130250.jpg

So far, mother cat has not brought in dead/alive mouse to the balcony
Old 9th June 2024, 13:35   #6585
BHPian

Quote:
So this unusual situation has resulted in unexpected problems - because of (excess) food in the bowl, it is attracting ants & large outdoor flies. To keep the flies away, I'm covering the bowl with a clean cloth. Works very well. To get rid of the ant problem, we are wiping the balcony clean using (water + extra lyzol).

Attachment 2614255

Lyzol is largely effective, but not has not eliminated the problem completely. Any other liquid we can add to water to keep away ants from the open balcony? Dettol perhaps?

All the kittens are toilet trained by the mother cat. They go outside, keeping the balcony mostly clean:

Attachment 2614256

So far, mother cat has not brought in dead/alive mouse to the balcony
Dettol is extremely bad for dogs and cats, whether they come in contact to it externally or internally.

About the ants problem, you can try multitude of solutions but the only thing that will work 100% and without taking your peace of mind is; put a big bowl or container of water, inside that water keep a brick or some heavy object like it, keep the food bowl on top of this object or brick. The cats can eat from there but the ants cannot.

In my experience nothing else will work without giving additional headaches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks