Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2024, 11:58   #6541
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Unforunately, this place is not so much friendly for the dogs, hence rescue is the only option. We are around a team of 30 odd people involved in rescuing, neutering/spaying, fostering, crowd funding, medical needs, finding reliable adopters and finally logistcis, till they are relocated and adopted. Our hands are generally full, which at times makes it difficult to do more for this cause.

Here these are some of the rescue dogs which we were able to send across the world and today they are having better life. I can endlessly hear their stories from the adopted parents. We try to be the voice for these voiceless creatures.

End result - Pure satisfaction.

Adopt and Don't shop
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_7540.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_7538.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_7537.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_7534.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_7535.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_7536.jpeg  

Last edited by NomadSK : 18th April 2024 at 12:24.
Old 18th April 2024, 18:38   #6542
BHPian

Re: Dog barking problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Not exactly a pet issue.

Seeking possible options for the issue we are facing with stray dogs.
I am not sure how practical it would be for you or whether the dogs would not be able to adapt to this solution but given you already use water to shoo away the dogs, could you try a DIY noise or motion activated sprinkler for them.
Here's a sample from youtube for a motion activated water sprinkler:

I am personally totally against this idea though. Getting some neighbours together, or contacting an NGO can surely help getting rid of the barking issue. When the strays are sterilised and well fed, they mostly sleep 14 hours or so.
Old 18th April 2024, 20:08   #6543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzdm View Post
Wow -Never knew such a bond also exists. Is it common for a male cat and its offspring to be together?
I had mother, father and three kittens. These two are all that remain.

They certainly know that they live together, that they are family. They exchange a friendly sniff sometimes. But they are not close in the sense of curling up together.

It is not unusual for cats to form close friendships with one another.
Old 19th April 2024, 00:26   #6544
BHPian

My grandma adopted this cat that was left by someone at our hometown house.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_4974.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3012.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3011.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_7317.jpeg

Back when she was small.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_7316.jpeg

Her 2 kittens.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_7318.jpeg
Old 19th April 2024, 01:44   #6545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Small firecrackers are a good deterrent, they will get the message and go away to some other place after a few instances of this. Some of the neighbors use water hose, water sprayers etc to shoo the dogs away.

Here I see the neighbors use firecrackers to shoo monkeys away, they are silent but can make a mess of your kitchen \ garden etc.
Very bad idea to use crackers. They can bite it and get their head blown off. Please do not use this method or encourage anyone else to do it.

Spraying water is harmless so if nothing else works that can be used.

@sagarpadaki if the dogs are behind a gate and seeing passerby but cannot go to them, then they will get agitated. It is called barrier aggression. Easiest way is to ask the neighbor to block the gate with a non transparent material like fiberglass or laminate.
Old 19th April 2024, 11:59   #6546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not exactly a pet issue.

Seeking possible options for the issue we are facing with stray dogs.
Used to have this problem as well. Late into the night, packs of dogs would meet next to my house and like rival gangs, would go at each other.

If only they went about it quietly! You can imagine the loud chaos that would have ensued.

Suffered it for a few nights, then when it became unsufferable went out and threw a few stones in their vicinity and shouted at them to scram. After a few nights of doing this, they seemed to have gotten the message.

But not fun going out of your cozy room at 2AM and doing stupid things like this

Blissful sleepy nights were back after that!
Old 19th April 2024, 12:19   #6547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Very bad idea to use crackers. They can bite it and get their head blown off. Please do not use this method or encourage anyone else to do it.

Spraying water is harmless so if nothing else works that can be used.

@sagarpadaki if the dogs are behind a gate and seeing passerby but cannot go to them, then they will get agitated. It is called barrier aggression. Easiest way is to ask the neighbor to block the gate with a non transparent material like fiberglass or laminate.
They are street dogs and dwell on the street and footpath. Started with one dog and now the family has gone to 5 in a span of an year. There were a couple more. One died and one was adopted.

The neighbors and small kids provide them food and tit bits and they have made the 50 feet stretch on the either side of my home as their area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Suffered it for a few nights, then when it became unsufferable went out and threw a few stones in their vicinity and shouted at them to scram. After a few nights of doing this, they seemed to have gotten the message.

But not fun going out of your cozy room at 2AM and doing stupid things like this
Will keep some small stones in the balcony and throw them at night. Hopefully should send them the message over a few days. Last night, they barked nonstop for almost an hour at around 2 in the night. Lost all my sleep since my room is right next to the road!
Old 19th April 2024, 18:02   #6548
BHPian

Since everyone is sharing here and nobody of my friends(except girls ofcourse) wants to see my cat (Rye) here it goes
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240403_073821.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240207_215122.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20231226_201848.jpg
Enthusiast like me!!!

She may be the most greediest, jealous girl I know but who can say no to such a face
Old 19th April 2024, 18:33   #6549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They are street dogs and dwell on the street and footpath. Started with one dog and now the family has gone to 5 in a span of an year. There were a couple more. One died and one was adopted.

The neighbors and small kids provide them food and tit bits and they have made the 50 feet stretch on the either side of my home as their area.
Not the area you are expecting, but I'd say neuter/spay them. Even if all remaining ones are males, neutering generally reduces their aggressive tones and that might have some side-benefits with regards to their nocturnal habits. Plus that 5 can't increase to higher numbers going forward.

Request your neighbors to stop feeding for a week or two. That might get them to expand their area of food foraging; giving your streets a miss on some of the nights. Basis the outcome observed, you could "negotiate" with them to reconsider their feeding habits.
Old 21st April 2024, 12:12   #6550
BHPian

Quote:
Will keep some small stones in the balcony and throw them at night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Not the area you are expecting, but I'd say neuter/spay them.
Hi Sagarpadaki, I request you not to throw stones, chances are the dogs' behavior will only get modified in unwanted directions. If the dog is unlucky enough to get an open wound and get infected with maggots, it will literally get eaten alive if there is no human intervention. It is a bad, bad way to die.

Spaying and neutering is absolutely the best option, with multiple benefits (the population will be kept stable, and these guys will prevent new ones from entering the area).

Please do not ask the feeders to stop feeding the dogs. A hungry dog is all the more likely to be agitated and irritable (much like us human beings!). In fact, catching the dogs for spaying/neutering becomes so much easier if the dogs have a person who feeds them regularly, because they trust them implicitly.

I know this suggestion does involve more effort from your side, but it will be a good, long lasting, humane solution for all parties involved. There are good NGOs will will help organize the whole thing, but if they are supported on the ground their task is made much easier, because they are always constrained for resources.
Old 21st April 2024, 13:26   #6551
BHPian

Quote:
Throwing stones can be a bit of a problem. It may cause more aggressive behavior from the dogs or you could unwittingly hit some other fragile item in the vicinity.

Buy a powerful water pistol with a range of at least 15-20 feet. Buy a bottle of vinegar and fill the water pistol with water mixed with a little vinegar and use the pistol to target the dogs/cats. They don't like the smell of vinegar and would look for friendlier place.

My neighbor breeds stray cats by a dozen. They periodically go on heat and start mewing (part of mating call) in the night. I have successfully made them go away elsewhere. It is humane, causes no harm to the nearby objects and doesn't provoke neighborhood warfare.
Old 21st April 2024, 14:53   #6552
Distinguished - BHPian

During the last very-heavy-rain period in this city, I took my car to a higher-level street, just in case. When I went to recover it, I took a stick: a puddle can always hide an open manhole.

Curious: street dogs that would normal ignore me, cowered away when seeing the stick! I wasn't (and am not) bothered by them at all, but interested to note the effect of just carrying the stick.
Old 21st April 2024, 19:23   #6553
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Sagar,
Quoting so that you see the posts from others as well. Throwing stones will complicate things and they would have a grudge towards you.

A water spray gun is safe and works. Just don't aim into the eyes.

If you want to, I'm willing to sponsor the costs of their sterilisation and associated treatments etc. at an NGO of your choice. After getting neutered they'd very likely calm down.

Trusting you to do the right thing. Thanks.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 21st April 2024 at 19:24.
Old 22nd April 2024, 13:09   #6554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Curious: street dogs that would normal ignore me, cowered away when seeing the stick! I wasn't (and am not) bothered by them at all, but interested to note the effect of just carrying the stick.
I have a different curious experience with sticks and street dogs. I usually carry a chrome plated 2 feet steel pipe when I go for a walk - ostensibly against street dogs, but actually to ward off potential muggers.

But on one occasion, a hither too docile dog, suddenly developed instant hatred towards the stick and me. He must have had a bad experience with sticks. He decided to attack me, showing his intentions with bared teeth, saliva dripping and growling.

Long story short, I had to cajole him with pacifying words "How stupid of you, come come, I won't hurt you" in soothing tone, hiding the metal pipe in the long shirt sleeve. He decided that - the human was no threat after all and trotted away.

Lesson learnt: Hide your stick in the long sleeve of your shirt for aggressive dogs. For all other creatures, show your stick.
Old 22nd April 2024, 17:10   #6555
BHPian

With regard to dogs barking and even chasing, I read and saw a few videos where having an ultrasonic whistle, which is low enough for humans to hear but pretty unpleasant for dogs, works well in stopping them from whatever they are doing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks