Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2024, 12:24   #6496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post

Has anyone used cat leash here? How useful it is? I am getting my cat used to short drives in the car, as of now her journey in the car has not beyond 8- 10 KMs. So in case I happen to take her out to beach or something wanted to know if a leash is helpful.
I have - they aren't very successful. Point is - you need to introduce your cats to leashes when they were kittens so they are honed to it better at that age itself. It might work if your cat is very very docile; but I wouldn't advice it.

What would work are those see-through backpacks - adult cats on a general basis get comfortable with it easily. Have seen several folks in city parks with these backpacks. My cat(s) are happy to travel in that in the past (say for vet visits).

Team-BHPians and their Pets-812snb1am0l._sl1500_.jpg
Suggestive product link
Old 4th April 2024, 16:12   #6497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sharing some of the photos here.
With a face like that, early humans never stood a chance. Domesticating humans was probably easy work for the cats:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1070113.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th April 2024 at 16:13.
Old 4th April 2024, 17:43   #6498
BHPian

We need to transport our three cats by air from Delhi to Trivandrum. My wife and mother will be accompanying them. Two cats will be checked as cargo baggage, while one will be in the cabin. According to Air India's regulations, we must arrive at the airport four hours before the flight for check-in. This is our first time undertaking such travel arrangements, so any tips would be greatly appreciated as I am feeling a bit anxious about the entire process

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Learning from multiple years of doing this across multiple cats - give it back if you can get refunds. Cats are idiots consistently, on this aspect.
Quote:
I built a cat house using a card board box few days ago.
The cat tree proved incredibly useful for us, as we positioned it near the window in our apartment. Our cats thoroughly enjoy observing the surroundings from there. We bought this cat tree https://www.chotapakoda.com/product-...house-5ft-tall

However, our attempts with leashes were unsuccessful. Despite introducing them when our cats were around 10 months old, the male cat seemed comfortable with the leash indoors. Yet, once outside, he would dart under cars and skillfully slip out of the leash. We tried two different types of leashes, but he proved to be too clever for them.

Last edited by greyhound82 : 4th April 2024 at 17:46.
Old 4th April 2024, 18:16   #6499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
With a face like that, early humans never stood a chance. Domesticating humans was probably easy work for the cats:
Was reminded of this old comic of Mandrake the magician which came out in early 70s i think. I read the coloured version which came out later in Indrajal Comics

https://www.mandrakewiki.org/index.p...a_and_the_Cats
Old 4th April 2024, 18:45   #6500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
We need to transport our three cats by air from Delhi to Trivandrum. My wife and mother will be accompanying them. Two cats will be checked as cargo baggage, while one will be in the cabin. According to Air India's regulations, we must arrive at the airport four hours before the flight for check-in. This is our first time undertaking such travel arrangements, so any tips would be greatly appreciated as I am feeling a bit anxious about the entire process
This thread (Transporting Pets within India or internationally) should help. The 4 hour requirement is worth it.

It's a little late for this piece of advice, but if I were you, I would have opted to take the cats via a train; in a First Class AC cabin. Probably a Rajdhani or a Duronto from Delhi to Tvm. Your cats would have appreciated this choice over the flight (or road). Anyway, happy travels.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th April 2024 at 19:00.
Old 4th April 2024, 19:54   #6501
BHPian

Quote:
Two cats will be checked as cargo baggage, while one will be in the cabin. According to Air India's regulations, we must arrive at the airport four hours before the flight for check-in.
I can fully understand your anxiousness. Have gone through the same scenarios on international flights on few occasions.

Just a tip - while boarding the aircraft, you should tell the flight attendants to inform the pilots that you have live cargo in the cargo compartment so they can keep it pressurized. Although they should know it, but you don’t want to take chances with your livestock.

Also check in advance whether on that specific sector air India flights have pressurised cabin to transport pets, else you would be declined the journey at the last moment.

Good luck
Old 4th April 2024, 20:53   #6502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
It's a little late for this piece of advice, but if I were you, I would have opted to take the cats via a train; in a First Class AC cabin.
Thank you very much for sharing the link. We did consider this option, but we lacked confidence in transporting our two Indian breeds, as both of them strongly dislike any form of travel. Our male cat (we have two females and one male) is exceptionally intelligent and loves to roam around. In our apartment, we've had to install a makeshift door with door pushers to keep him contained, as he has managed to escape a couple of times. Therefore, we thought that enduring a three-hour struggle by air would be manageable, especially when compared to a longer journey via train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
I can fully understand your anxiousness. Have gone through the same scenarios on international flights on few occasions.
Good luck
We've already contacted airlines and they told they will inform the pilot(will make sure this will happen). We're considering informing the ground staff at both Delhi and Trivandrum to ensure everything goes smoothly. Additionally, we've decided to use zip ties to secure the cages, making it more difficult for anyone else to open them.
Old 4th April 2024, 21:01   #6503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone used cat leash here? How useful it is? I am getting my cat used to short drives in the car, as of now her journey in the car has not beyond 8- 10 KMs. So in case I happen to take her out to beach or something wanted to know if a leash is helpful.

Attachment 2590218
My heart just melted. This is VERY cute cat!

Re: leash. We got the harness with leash as our attempts at using dog style leash failed because they (my kittens) would quickly, in one swift move, wiggle out of it! And I thought it was too tight.

The body harness makes it difficult for them to escape which is my biggest fear. However both absolutely hate it and act weirdly after wearing the said harness. One of my supposedly brake kitten is really terrified of it from his body language. He battles every moment as we are putting it on and once its on he behaves like some trouble has befallen - stoops down, walks with bent legs so that his body is very close to ground and if we try to pick him up he straight up clenches the carpet as goes as flat as he can, I shall try and take a video of him its actually funny.

The other kitten walks awkwardly but is generally fine. With this harness we have tried to walk them inside the home and they don't understand what's happening. The weather is getting beautiful and my plan was to take these two out for some nature stroll but they have foiled my plan spectacularly.

Some cats might take to it naturally but most will hate it. In any case I would 100% suggest getting harness+leash rather than just neck strap and leash.
Old 5th April 2024, 01:05   #6504
BHPian

Quote:
We've already contacted airlines and they told they will inform the pilot(will make sure this will happen). We're considering informing the ground staff at both Delhi and Trivandrum to ensure everything goes smoothly. Additionally, we've decided to use zip ties to secure the cages, making it more difficult for anyone else to open them.
Please read

Cargo hold must be pressurised and set to correct temperature. Please check, recheck and rerecheck this with cabin crew. I cannot repeat this enough please try to avoid putting them in cargo.

If I were you, I would pay extra for 2 more flight tickets and have all of them in the cabin. Else cancel and do a road or train trip.

Wish you a very safe journey.
Old 5th April 2024, 09:56   #6505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Please read
If I were you, I would pay extra for 2 more flight tickets and have all of them in the cabin. Else cancel and do a road or train trip.
The airline restricts cabin space to accommodate only two pets per flight, prompting our decision to place our Indies together in the cargo hold. Despite originating from different litters, they've developed a strong bond since their rescue. We're diligently communicating with both the pilot and ground staff in advance to ensure a smooth journey for our beloved pets.
Old 5th April 2024, 18:43   #6506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone used cat leash here?
You mean with the leash around your neck? Having observed my sister and her eternal line of cats it is the hooman who is on the leash where cats go.

That is the cutest cat I have ever seen.
Old 5th April 2024, 19:51   #6507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
The body harness makes it difficult for them to escape which is my biggest fear. However both absolutely hate it and act weirdly after wearing the said harness. One of my supposedly brake kitten is really terrified of it from his body language. He battles every moment as we are putting it on and once its on he behaves like some trouble has befallen - stoops down, walks with bent legs so that his body is very close to ground and if we try to pick him up he straight up clenches the carpet as goes as flat as he can, I shall try and take a video of him its actually funny.
Some cats might take to it naturally but most will hate it. In any case I would 100% suggest getting harness+leash rather than just neck strap and leash.
Same experience here. Neck leashes are good for dogs, as they have not been gifted with the gymnastic abilities of an Olympic games participant , which the cats have been gifted withI have the no pull harness ,and my cat has been able to wiggle out of that as well. The neck as well as the body straps were securely fastened, yet she had managed to get out of it. So when I take it to the vet, I use a combination of three methods - Secure the cat with the harness and leash, put it in those lockable plastic basket. On top of that I wear special gloves , to catch hold of her in case she does manage to get out of the box. The glove is made out of a thick outer cloth, and is padded with another thick layer of wool from the inside. It helps cause my cat has a tendency to leave marks of her displeasure on your skin( read scratches and bites) . Uploading a picture of the contraption.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-17123261387107577951337376432940.jpg  

Old 5th April 2024, 23:19   #6508
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking as one whose mother, when not taking dogs, was known to take a rabbit into town on a lead... I just think that cats are not temperamentally suited to such things. Unless, as has been suggested, it is a device the cat can use to pull the human around!

But cats are such diverse things, there are bound to be exceptions, I suppose.
Old 6th April 2024, 11:51   #6509
BHPian

We have a cat that lost vision on one eye 2 years back as she had an injury when she was out on her daily outing, she used to be an indoor/outdoor cat until then, post this incident she has been restricted indoors as the vet recommended it, it was painful to see her howl begging to go out initially, eventually she got used to being inside, we now take her outside our house almost daily (within the compound) with a harness/leash tied around, she used to escape the harness initially and we had a tough time getting her back after that, slowly with persistence she has gotten used to it, dont get me wrong, she can still escape at her will if she is spooked, but I have come to anticapte the circumstances when she would get spooked and I bring her inside before something happens, some of the triggers for her to be scared are

- Loud and sudden sounds
- Unknown faces approaching
- Other cats approaching her (she doesnt socialize with other cats)

Every cat has a personality and tying a harness with leash depends on how cooperative it is with it's human friend (it is more of a challenge with younger cats), slightly older cats can be easier as they dont have the same energy levels as a cat that is lesser than 3 years old, having said that, unlike dogs, they are never comfortable being restricted, they are born explorers!
Old 12th April 2024, 21:15   #6510
BHPian

This is my Male Shih Tzu - Harry.

The reason I'm putting him in here is he needs his match (he he). If anyone has a contact, please PM me. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240225_155220053.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240217_183549968.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks