Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2024, 21:59   #6481
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I have to ask though, do you know what happened to Scooby's sibling?
My brother was in contact with the sweet lady who fostered the two pups. We used to send her photos of scooby. Someone adopted the other pup after a month. The contact with her then faded off eventually.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th March 2024 at 13:53. Reason: broken quote tag fixed
mm_shen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 22:16   #6482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I Ever since I read in your post about 2 pups and only 1 getting adopted, all I could think about was that other puppy.

Adopting two puppies from the same litter is also not advisable. You run the risk of the puppies suffering from Littermate Syndrome.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/pu...mate-syndrome/
ACe_10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 14:23   #6483
BHPian

Just Like every pet parent here, our lives changed completely, and in the best way, when CAROL entered our lives. I rescued her from a drain hole after two days of hailstorms that she bravely survived during the Delta Lockdown - in May 2021.
Like others, I have GBs of her pictures and videos, more than any other family member. :P I want to share a few that show her love for Car Rides and her self-proclaimed responsibility of being the Goodest Navigator.

Minutes after her rescue- hardly 5-6 weeks old goofball.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0025.jpg

Staring out the window is her favourite pastime.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0008.jpg

Staring at the Sun Gods contemplating Life's aim
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0018.jpg

Staring at the Sunset...
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0011.jpg

My Navigator going for a morning park walk
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0012.jpg

Staring out the window with tongue wagging in the air
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0009.jpg

Front or Back, Need to wag my tongue out...
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0013.jpg

One more...
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0015.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0017.jpg

Watching the lanes...
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0019.jpg

One of the best ones I love...
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0020.jpg

Cut out of a cute video, sheer excitement...
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0021.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0022.jpg

Nappa leather feels nice for a Nap :P
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0024.jpg

Only candids, no pawparazzis Please...
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0007.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240328wa0010.jpg  

Last edited by aastiksaluja : 28th March 2024 at 14:28.
aastiksaluja is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 11:40   #6484
BHPian

I forgot to include this in my last post, as it was more important to share it with fellow TBHP members.
I rescued an abandoned Dog (a Bully mix, she seems—I don't know much about pedigree) from a breeder in February last year (2022). This was at the time when there was a lot of heat against Pitbulls for some incidents in the NCR region. Probably, the breeder thought she was no longer a cash cow and left her on the road right after the birth of her babies—see her lactating condition.

I took her in, got her vaccinated, and kept her at my trusted creche, where I keep my own baby without a worry. I wish I could adopt her, but since I have a small flat in Delhi with my own dog, it would have been a tight fit. Plus, I was apprehensive about my family and dog walker handling a breed of such kind in my absence, and I travel a LOT.

I have been keeping her at the creche for the last 13 months and counting, taking care of her food, Bravectos, and vaxxes while Shadab, the creche's caretaker, takes genuine care of her. I owe a lot to him.

I'm sharing this here as I have shared in most of the forums, so-called animal lover influencers, and even Vantara, thinking they practice what they preach.

If there's anyone out there who would help get this lovely girl a lovable family and an open home away from this concrete jungle, you'll have my heart for life!

The Rescue day, look at the deplorable condition
Team-BHPians and their Pets-screenshot-20240329-112618.png

Just after a week of care, love and nurturing
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240301wa0005.jpg
aastiksaluja is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 13:03   #6485
Senior - BHPian

This thread is really great. Genuinely fantastic people all around. I'm glad to read posts on here. Treasure trove of information and also heart warming.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 20:17   #6486
BHPian

Hi,
I have a lab who is now having trouble sometime to get into the back seat by herself. I carry her in and out sometimes but she always struggles to get in/out independently.

I got a set of pet stairs but problem is the door of MG Astor does not open wide enough to align it with the back seat. It keeps the stair at angle and so, it is not very stable.

Can someone suggest cars with wider / better opening doors? I tried with a friend's Hilux but even Hilux backdoor was not opening fully.

Will Carens, Alcazar or Fortuner be any better? I will perhaps try in coming weeks but any suggestions are meanwhile welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-smartselect_20240330_201543_amazon.jpg  

Old 30th March 2024, 22:13   #6487
Senior - BHPian

Folks, need some help as I am worried about one of my kittens - 2 days ago he started vomiting. After vomiting 4 times we took him to vet who treated and hydrated him. After coming home he stopped vomiting but hasn't been eating well. He played fine with his brother per usual but he doesn't seem his normal self.

We gave him some time yesterday to get better but he still won't eat as usual. Today morning he didn't eat at all and started meowing uncomfortably. Went to litter box but didn't actually poop. After that he did the same but I didn't him pooping so it looks like he now has constipation. A couple of times he went in the box, meowed and came back out.

When he's not meowing he seems okay but every few minutes he meows and also hides in difficult spots which he never does otherwise.

Any inputs before I take him to the vet again? I see online everyone is saying keep cats hydrated and give them pumpkin puree but if he's not eating or drinking how do I do that?
Old 31st March 2024, 09:59   #6488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Folks, need some help as I am worried about one of my kittens - 2 days ago he started vomiting. After vomiting 4 times we took him to vet who treated and hydrated him. After coming home he stopped vomiting but hasn't been eating well. He played fine with his brother per usual but he doesn't seem his normal self.

We gave him some time yesterday to get better but he still won't eat as usual. Today morning he didn't eat at all and started meowing uncomfortably. Went to litter box but didn't actually poop. After that he did the same but I didn't him pooping so it looks like he now has constipation. A couple of times he went in the box, meowed and came back out.

When he's not meowing he seems okay but every few minutes he meows and also hides in difficult spots which he never does otherwise.

Any inputs before I take him to the vet again? I see online everyone is saying keep cats hydrated and give them pumpkin puree but if he's not eating or drinking how do I do that?
Try giving him Himalaya Digyton and don't force feed him. Because of the vomitting and stress, he may not be eating and hence constipated. Cats & Dogs generally can go without food for 3 days and then they kind of eat grass to throw up. Don't worry, try Digyton and keep him entertained. Don't show concern as he would pick your body signs and be more stressed.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 10:32   #6489
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need some help
By the looks of it, it seems like a case of bacterial or viral infection.
It could be due to water or contaminated food or just picked up an aerial borne microbe.

I have been through such cases many times. There is less possibility of the vet finding out the causing micro organism responsible for this through blood tests or other tests. The best the vet would be doing now is to bring the cat once or twice daily RL drip or some other IV. This makes sure the cat has enough water and other ingredients that make up for the loss of food.

Please don't take the matter lightly if it has been a few days now. Vets generally administer RL and hope for the best. Consult another vet too instead of relying on just one.

Do take pics of the vomit and show to the vet. Keep constant vigil. Cats are fragile contrary to popular belief.

Is your cat dewormed and vaccinated? If not, now is the time to let the vet know, he/she will act accordingly. They won't administer vaccination before the cat recovers now in my opinion though. Don't count on just one vet if the problem persists everyday.

I hope the cat recovers soon.

Last edited by Fuldagap : 31st March 2024 at 10:59.
Fuldagap is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 22:54   #6490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Will Carens, Alcazar or Fortuner be any better? I will perhaps try in coming weeks but any suggestions are meanwhile welcome.
Check which car's rear doors open to 90 degrees. Out of the options you listed the Carens in my opinion has an advantage as the seating is lower than other options which are more SUV like. I also remember that the middle seats on Carens *very* quickly tumble forward and create a massive opening for rearmost seats. It's a rare car where I felt the last row of seats feels bigger than middle row in their attempt to make it 6/7 seater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Try giving him Himalaya Digyton and don't force feed him. Because of the vomitting and stress, he may not be eating and hence constipated. Cats & Dogs generally can go without food for 3 days and then they kind of eat grass to throw up. Don't worry, try Digyton and keep him entertained. Don't show concern as he would pick your body signs and be more stressed.
Sorry for the late reply, I was kinda tensed past 3 days with the kitten feeling sick and looking all dull. Thanks for the tip! I couldn't find Himalaya Digyton (the earliest being delivery around 14th April) here so instead I looked up for some mild medicine available locally. Some people suggested homeopathic med simply called "HomeoPet Feline Digestive Upsets". Turns out it was available 10 minutes away from my home so I rushed and got it. I used 5 drops last night and 5 drops this morning and kitten seems to be cured. He hasn't thrown up and his hunger is back. This morning he ate about 75% of his portion and did not vomit. I will feed the med one more time and that should probably bring him back to his 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
By the looks of it, it seems like a case of bacterial or viral infection.
It could be due to water or contaminated food or just picked up an aerial borne microbe...
Thanks! Yes you are right, it is most probably a bacterial infection. We did take him to vet as I was worried. Contradictory to what I was expecting the urgent care docs suggested to wait for 2-3 more days even if he kept vomiting. They couldn't actually give a solid conclusion. His vitals were fine. No fever, no abdominal pain and body language seemed fine albeit a little scared.

Going to urgent care is scary thought as often times they don't hesitate to start some heavy meds right away but this turned out well. As mentioned above, I got a med for his last night and his vomiting and unsuccessful trips to litterbox have stopped. This morning he even ate his regular food.

Gosh I am relieved. It was heart wrenching to see the other kitten try his best to play with the sick brother and give up. He was bewildered. Its been almost 4 days since we had mad havoc in our home. Today they played their little ambush game after having food and bounced off the walls. Fingers crossed this stays the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
I tried to read around if someone mentioned this before, but I couldn't so here it goes...
Any dog from the age of 1-2 months to around 1 year will bite stuff. Its not hateful, and certainly nothing to be worried about. Its because their teeth settle during this age and they need positive reinforcement over it.
I don't know the exact term to use, but it happens with any dog I know, its got nothing to do with the breed.
This pup is/was rather large for his age! As big as fully grown stray dogs that we see, probably bigger even? When he bit, I could feel the strength. But since his teeth had grown considerably too the bite didn't puncture me like needles that really small pups have.

You are right, pups have this urge to bite stuff and I wish he had those chewy bones to quench the urge but I doubt they ever got any toys or chewables for him. He started his life as a rural farm dog and will continue to do so. At most he would have gotten a sugar cane to chew. If you ask me they would have been fine with indie dog too.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd April 2024 at 10:58. Reason: Trimmed quote.
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 00:29   #6491
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Yes you are right, it is most probably a bacterial infection. We did take him to vet as I was worried. Contradictory to what I was expecting the urgent care docs suggested to wait for 2-3 more days even if he kept vomiting. They couldn't actually give a solid conclusion. His vitals were fine. No fever, no abdominal pain and body language seemed fine albeit a little scared...
Glad that he has recovered. I speak from a lot of experience, do take extra care for 4-5 days more even now. Especially about hygiene and the cat's water intake. Docs change from bacterial infection diagnosis to viral and vice versa suddenly. Reason being, the tests do not pin point the micro organism. Your cat needs your care the most right now. Only consistent good health over a period of 4-5 days can confirm the recovery. Wish the best of health to your cat.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd April 2024 at 10:57. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Fuldagap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:18   #6492
Team-BHP Support

Bought a nice cozy outdoor (waterproof) cat house for Rs. 1,300 :
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0CW9YG38F/

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240402_115846.jpg

But the cats checked it out once, gave me a weird look ("what junk is this") and went back to sleeping on the cool tile floor:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240401_181254.jpg

However, I don't think it is a waste of money. They will appreciate it (fingers crossed) once it starts raining and also during the cold Bangalore winter nights. Also, since the cat visit frequency is increasing, I bought some dry cat food. ChatGPT/Gemini/Copilot says they will last long if opened cat food is stored in a ziploc bag.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240401_180135.jpg

These two contraptions are called 'automatic pet feeder and water dispenser' (Rs. 879). Apparently, we can store dry cat food in the container and it flows into the bowl automatically (by gravity). Useful if a cat owner is going out of town for a few days. For now, I'm just using it as a cat food bowl
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0CBRJZCS5/

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240401_083020.jpg

The automatic water dispenser works well too. I've noticed the grey cat sipping water occassionally, but not the ginger cat yet.

Last edited by SmartCat : 2nd April 2024 at 12:19.
SmartCat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:44   #6493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Bought a nice cozy outdoor (waterproof) cat house for Rs. 1,300 :
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0CW9YG38F/

Attachment 2589187

But the cats checked it out once, gave me a weird look ("what junk is this")
Learning from multiple years of doing this across multiple cats - give it back if you can get refunds. Cats are idiots consistently, on this aspect. They will enjoy the box that house came in more than the actual product. Faced this for a treehouse twice, premium scratchpads and other toys. What works consistently? Cardboard boxes, threads, wires, etc.

Have used both dispensers in the past. The food one had to be disposed - they overate. The water one worked very well but it needs to be cleaned regularly. Say twice a week at least.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd April 2024 at 12:46.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:55   #6494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
These two contraptions are called 'automatic pet feeder and water dispenser' . Apparently, we can store dry cat food in the container and it flows into the bowl automatically (by gravity). Useful if a cat owner is going out of town for a few days. For now, I'm just using it as a cat food bowl
Thanks for sharing, I have these but in actual sense automatic dry food feeders operated with batteries/laptop charger. it stores around 12kgs of dry food and you can feed the food in the upper part and time it for breakfast, lunch and dinner with your pre-recorded voice. The feeder starts after a min of the pre -recorded voice and can control the quantity too based on the requirement.

Since I have 2 pets (Dogs), I have kept the timings as 30 mins apart for each one of them. Like 6:00 & 6:30am for B'fast, 12:00 & 12:30Pm for Lunch and 6:00 & 6:30Pm for dinner. It’s been since 7 years for one and 3 years for another.

Here is the fun thing, I had to train them so they know who is supposed to eat or the meal is for whom as soon as the pre-recorded voice starts. It took me like few weeks to train them.

And Now they don’t have to wait for the pre-recorded voice to start, they are near their food dispensers waiting for thier food one by one even before that time, their body clocks have been set.

I remember once, the battery was drained and the poor guy was sitting near his dispenser for 5/6 hours anticipating his food and might be cursing the dispenser, till I realised and changed the batteries.

However, it needs cleaning once in every few months.

Last edited by NomadSK : 2nd April 2024 at 13:01.
NomadSK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 12:16   #6495
BHPian

I built a cat house using a card board box few days ago. She goes into it occasionally but the stay is brief. I am assuming it must be because of the summer heat.

Has anyone used cat leash here? How useful it is? I am getting my cat used to short drives in the car, as of now her journey in the car has not beyond 8- 10 KMs. So in case I happen to take her out to beach or something wanted to know if a leash is helpful.

Sharing some of the photos here.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240404_114530_hdr.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240120_172440370_mf_portrait.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240318_184729_hdr.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1070113.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1070126.jpg

Last edited by thirugata : 4th April 2024 at 12:18.
thirugata is offline   (24) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks