Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2023, 14:31   #6391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If infection induced antibodies don't prevent the reinfection, how will vaccine induced antibodies prevent it?
It's generally a 3 disease vaccine that's provided to cats; inclusive of FPV. So the vaccine would still be good for the other two diseases. Also the vaccine would work as a booster dose with regards to FPV I presume.

Anyway, @myavu wouldn't have made this decision, but I presume a veterinary doctor would have. Also a simple google search indicates this is normal practice.
Old 25th December 2023, 15:18   #6392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
how will vaccine induced antibodies prevent it?
These vaccines are not for FPV alone. We have to keep the kittens from any kind of stress developed from other deadly diseases. There are rare instances were FPV got reinfected even after a complete recovery. This is what CGS Vets communicated with us.

The vaccines administered for both initial and booster was Biofel PCH and Biofel R respectively.

Name:  vaccines.png
Views: 566
Size:  238.3 KB
Old 25th December 2023, 15:44   #6393
BHPian

We had a Rottweiler named Ndugu, who crossed the rainbow bridge during the COVID first wave, after she suffered an accident during the lockdown, and we couldn't treat her owing to unavailability of help.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20191211_184039.jpg

Just after this, a pregnant stray cat was taking shelter in our shoe rack. She was timid and not trusting us at first, but soon her apprehensions vanished and she became friendly. While she is an infrequent visitor these days, her daughter, who is chirstined as Coco, is a permanent resident at our sweet home. My mom and grandma were not liking her presence (they still don't , but somehow choose to adjust lol). She is not a proper house cat, but she usually comes back to nap in our porch or on my scooter . My folks only allow her cause she's the chief of anti-rodent squad in ours and our neighbours house

She is close to me and my uncle.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20231225_152825.jpg

Last edited by subie_socal : 25th December 2023 at 15:47. Reason: Grammar oopsie
Old 25th December 2023, 17:24   #6394
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
There are rare instances were FPV got reinfected even after a complete recovery.
Sure, but vaccination won't prevent that. If infection antibodies don't stop the reinfection, then the vaccine also won't.
Old 26th December 2023, 00:20   #6395
BHPian

Found a kitten near a drain.
Over three years has gone by, and she is now a well-grown Molly.
Her name is Kesar, and akin to British knighthood, she too has a title - "Ori".

She is passionate about Boxing, and her ring name is Mohammed Kesar Ali.

She absolutely hates my car as most of her trips in it were to a Veterinary hospital.
She had her revenge by tearing away my waterproof car cover, and now my criteria is to find a cat nail proof cover.

Ciao untill next time.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-catbag.jpg
Old 26th December 2023, 01:29   #6396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi Mundur View Post
She absolutely hates my car as most of her trips in it were to a Veterinary hospital. She had her revenge by tearing away my waterproof car cover, and now my criteria is to find a cat nail proof cover.

Attachment 2548549
Typical orange cat. Though she is a cutie
Old 26th December 2023, 09:54   #6397
BHPian

My Feline Destiny

Dogs - My owner feeds me, plays with me, cuddles me, takes me for walks etc -- He must be God

Cats - My owner feeds me, plays with me, cuddles me, takes me for walks etc -- I must be God
************************************************** *****************************

With the above premise i put this writeup on my association for over 30 years now with 'CATS'

Prelude

I remember like yesterday i was leading a tough operation in the NE and everything was going against plan, i was frustrated, angry, tired and hungry, it was due for sunset so even time was on short run, it was then someone suggested i should get in the dog squad. i was already irritated so got even more miffed with idea of involving a canine in current scheme of activities but than relented as at that moment any act of god was welcome.

A Belgian Malinois with his handler came into picture and in matter of minutes i got a clear picture of what his capability, his resourcefulness saved the day, i was flabbergasted to say the least that a canine with his sharpness had overcome a massive hurdle blocking me for hours.

Post this adventure i took interest in concept of 'House Pets', till this moment i had known almost all my pals and seniors to have pets at their homes, mostly dogs. But it came evident thanks to schedule of those in uniforms especially my breed who'd gone for long tours the caretaking of the pet was left to Buddy's / Sahayaks, i for one had no intention of misusing the buddy system so per say never entertained the house pet idea till i saw the Belgian Malinois in action.

I visited the canine training Centre and saw first hand on how efficient, smart, intelligent and resourceful the particular breed was and how brilliantly they were trained, in years to come i saw first hand the contribution of canines in armed forces and came to respect them in totality, however i wanted or rather thought of having a house pet which could manage on its own with very little attention, the Belgian Malinois was definitely not ideal or for that matters none of canine breeds were.

Enter Garfield

I might have shared the predicament of house pet with a few when one pal got me a kitten who he'd found walking lost near his house, the kitten was just over a month old and probably had been left to itself by its mother. i was reluctant as had no knowledge of cats, didn't even know anyone who had but felt the little kitten deserved better so adopted it and this let to our decade long association with some amazing moments of togetherness, i truly believe that destiny had this episode written for me and me only.

What's the Name and Wonder Years

Me and my buddy Titan Singh (that was a name in itself) got busy with names, he suggested a few that i rejected, i suggested a few that he rejected and finally i stamped my authority and said "Garfield", poor titan was bewildered as him and all the consequent buddies we had couldn't ever utter his name correctly.

Over years cats might have not undergone as much of evolution as Vets have

The garrison vet who knew only about horses and dogs was miffed with questions on cats, he knew things in theorem but had no first hand encounters, so all about food and vaccination was left very much for us to call around and enquire, internet was in much nascent stage and 'Royal Canin + CatLip + Catnip toys' were alien names

Today the cost of cat maintenance would be almost same as sending ones kid to a good school for a year (school fees alone though), luckily i knew someone who knew someone who knew someone and that someone gave crucial pointers which me and Titan religiously followed, in a few months time Garfield was healthy and booming with energy.

Garfield in very little time got accustomed to uniformed life, being a cat there were no rule books which could prohibit or allow him to travel with me plus my daunting nature and the SF Badge on uniform also eased up things as the administrative chaps were in no mood to read me any rule books, they were fully aware it was 'my way or the highway'. To his credit Garf (as later i found that easier to say) didn't cause any drama when it came to moving around the country, he settled fast, used his natural resourcefulness to find suitable spots to remain comfy in any given accommodation and went about chasing imaginary entities daring for a fight.

I am no authority on felines but my association with them over 3 decades tell me they do well when given their own time and space, crave attention from owners no doubt but not like canines, can be playful but expecting a cat to fetch a thrown ball or jump in pool would be aiming for a moon landing with a paper cutting airplane !! Cats in their own way show affection but not necessarily everyday as in our decade long association Garf headbutted me only once, slept in my arms maybe thrice and asked me to lift him up probably 5 times, beyond that it was him and his life as long as food and water was provided at regular intervals he didn't go around expecting much. the other wonderful thing about cats is their cleanliness, they do their own thing in the mud (now there's a fancy word called Litter Box with scented sand) and go nuts covering their do and then spend a good amount of time licking themselves clean. With a canine the poop patrol is a timely activity which has led to warlike situations in housing complexes as i read, with cats the matter is self resolved. Cats have loyalty to their owners but not to anyone in singularity, so adoption of a grown cat works easily than any other pet.

Garf and me went from deserts to rain forests to snow. Those days i went in for long operations and sometimes didn't return in same manner as i left, at times came back with injuries or grown facial hair or dark tanned look or at times all three together all Garf did was come close smell me for a minute and be gone, by the time i started looking normal he would get back to his routines of the day. With changing times the quality of feline health care improved dramatically and competent vets came to rescue as Garf took time to adjust to changes in weather, he'd throw up whenever the location of accommodation changed but vets were able to provide correct medication.

The Sunset pulled on Garf

It was in Mizoram where Garf spent his final years, my buddy was Roop Singh and Roop took instant love for Garf, being a single man Roop got extremely attached to Garf in what were his final innings, every morning Roop would greet Garf with a crisp salute and say "Garf Saab Jai Hind', not sure Garf understood what that was but he would follow Roop all over the place, maybe it was him communicating his time was up and all the attention was welcome, it were these years when i saw him more sleeping near me on my bed or meowing around when i was getting dressed or coming up to me as i returned from work.

Roop though had other plans, he would carry Garf on a make-do carry bag on our beloved Bajaj Chetak all over the station, every Saturday he'd take him to local Hanuman temple and even tied a vermilion thread on his leg for long life and health

However what's written in destiny happens, one evening i returned to find Roop sobbing unconsolably on the door step, imagining some family matter i asked if all was ok when he pointed me to sleeping Garf, a snake had done him when Roop was busy attending to some domestic work. Now in all these years i had seen worse so at that moment my thought's ran on digging a proper burial place. We placed Garf once digging was complete and as i finished Roop asked to dig one more, for whom i wondered as he went inside and returned with a gunny bag with what was left of the snake. Roop had taken all the anger at his disposition on the reptile and we gave him a burial too.

I think it was the day later the loss of Garf hit me, the morning i didnt see him sleeping next, as i sat on porch with morning tea there was no Garf meowing around for attention, as i got dressed there was no Garf wanting me to shower some attention and tap him on his forehead, when i returned from work it came on heavy and in my three decades of uniformed life i did the unimaginable, i called upon my wife and didn't utter a single word. In short i really missed Garfield, he had become a part of my life.

Garf and his Transition

Team-BHPians and their Pets-gfld1.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-83468.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-gfld.jpg

Balwan, ACDC and Later Years
My wife to her credit reads me like no one, immediately she came over and got to attend things so that i was to spare no more time in remorse, in my profession being remorseful can be the biggest liability but then i was as human as anyone else and albeit hard trained to curtail them it came out

However my wife did come with a surprise package, she knew a vet who knew a cat breeder and they had a persian kitten of same age as Garf was when we he came in contact, she got that for me as a birthday gift (garf's death was a week prior to my b'day)

In providence i feel its a joke but when she presented me with the little feline i for one thought that was Garf's reincarnation

Roop was beyond himself and before i could come with any more complex names he named it 'Balwan', for Roop raising Balwan to his liking was primordial task, in end Balwan outlived Roop too and we had another 8 years of blissful coexistence, unlike Garf who saw me in my 'Chuck Norris' days Balwan saw me in average Desk Jo times, this meant very soon we shifted to Bangalore for my desk assignment and that meant i had a proper big home to myself for first time in years where everything seemed normal, my faimly joined me and there were more than one attendants at disposal. I also had more time on hands as gunslinger times were now behind, i spent those extra hours with family, this meant i had more time for Balwan too but now he was more of my daughters than mine, she took great care of him threw all the love and affection at her disposal. every evening i would take her to swimming classes and Balwan would sit perched on dashboard inspecting the station, as uniforms walking around would salute he might have thought that was all him

Balwan in no time became cynosure of the station, he was showstopper at kitty parties, children's birthday parties and every place one needed a furryball to play with. He saw a more comfortable life than Garf but in singularity spend his days chasing the imaginary entity asking for a fight.

Balwan also fell for Col Malhotra's feline Barbie and they started a family, but age caught up rather soon and some form of medical complication did him when he was 7 years old, the loss would have hit my daughter as hard as it had to me when Garf died but we had two lovely kitten at our disposal thanks to connubial bliss of Balwan and Barbie

Now entire clan got busy in choosing names but as man of the house i put my stamp of authority and it was AC DC (after my all time favorite rock band), my mother calls them Ram Shyam, my wife calls them Gundi, my daughter calls them cutie but for me its simple AC and DC, they adore my home and crave all the attention that comes their way, we have a retired buddy Dhan Singh who assists me in my retired life and just like Roop and Titan takes amazing care of the felines.

Balwan

Team-BHPians and their Pets-balwan.jpg

AC & DC

Team-BHPians and their Pets-ac-dc.jpg

** Anecdote from Previous life**

Truly i developed an amazing bond with cats over these years and have so many amazing memories of times together but one for departure like no other.

This was during Garfs times. After successfully completing an extremely complex operation in the North East i was to be awarded the CO (Commanding Officers) commendation and a gallantry award, on the function day incidentally Garf was sick vomiting continuously so i decided to be with him skipping the award function.

Now in uniform life this act would have blown the gasket of any CO but the man in picture was tad different, he swelled on no unnecessary pride, dwelled on no ego and didn't suffer fools. In manner most unusual late night he dropped at my place to enquire about the cat and it health, for a good 15 to 20 minutes all he did was ask about the cat and its health and if the garrison vet had found a solution and also gave some pointers he got from his wife, i replied to best of my knowledge and when duly satisfied he left and in a very matter of fact manner pinned me the award and said "Shabhaash" Sadly fate played its cruel card and snatched away this officer in manner most despicable but he knew his soldering and he knew it well

In soldiering life when it came to human interface i learned a valuable lesson, in later years when i was in positions to send men in harms way i always enquired about their family, their dependents and very less on operational details, this made a good impact on morale

Hope was a good read

Last edited by tatafanatic : 26th December 2023 at 10:17.
Old 3rd January 2024, 00:00   #6398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Thank you so much bro, there is nothing that I wouldn't have done to save him. I took him to the vet within the same hour of me realising that he's sick but the whole thing derailed despite our best efforts & in 24 hrs or so he breathed his last!

This is his last pic taken just a day before he got sick. Such an adorable boy
I'm sorry for your loss and may this beautiful boy R.I.P.
Old 3rd January 2024, 12:59   #6399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

And finally, be careful whom you marry. If it's already too late, I sympathise. But hey, I wouldn't throw the cats out, and I won't throw the wife out either
I can imagine. A long time ago, before my marriage my long time companion - a magnificent white cat started shedding her hair, my friends suspected me to have a phirangi girl friend on seeing white hair on my shirts.

Recently when I took my son to a doctor for allergic rhinitis, the doctor advised against having pets at home. My German Shepherd is not a shepherd - it is a German Shedder as it sheds piles of fur everyday. I told the Doc it is not an option.

The doc asked me what will I do if the future wife of my son insisted on having no pets at home.

My reply - "She would be one to leave the house and not the GSD or the cat."
As we said, our matrimonial ads had the words: "Boy lives with a GSD and a Cat".
Old 3rd January 2024, 13:06   #6400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatafanatic View Post

Hope was a good read
It was a wonderful read. Thank you for sharing. Losing a pet isn't easy but it helps to have another one fill in their place.

Btw Balwan doesn't look like a Persian although his offsprings do indeed. I concur with you on your name choices for the kittens; my two kittens were/are named R2 & D2

Last edited by ninjatalli : 3rd January 2024 at 13:10.
Old 10th January 2024, 06:12   #6401
Senior - BHPian

My kitten sleeping like he pays the bills.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240102_215314.jpg
Old 10th January 2024, 06:54   #6402
Senior - BHPian

Here is a beautiful Senior Ginger Tabby who lives around the cluster of houses in this neighbourhood.
What a beautiful creature! Sorry for the repeat pics but I honestly was not able to choose any one from the 5 I took.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_4588.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_4590.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_4592.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_4591.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_4589.jpeg  

Old 15th January 2024, 13:07   #6403
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I have noticed that many of us here look after stray animals in the locality. No matter how careful our furry friends are, there is always a threat of vehicle hits that can leave them crippled for life. So last month, I bought some reflective collars for street dogs from an NGO. With the collar on, it is so much easier for motorists to spot and avoid these animals at night. I found them very effective, and would recommend to anyone who is interested.

The NGO is PRS (Pashu Rakshak Sangh) Welfare in Shivpuri, Madhya Pradesh. They have shipping option as well. Cost per collar comes out to Rs. 25 if you order enough quantity (I got 25 pcs) directly through them. I am not affiliated to this NGO in any way, so no reference is required. Their WhatsApp number is 9993386076.

The collar is adjustable for length, a 2-finger gap is recommended (for dogs) so it does not fall off.

Sharing some pictures (the silver part on the outside is reflective):

Team-BHPians and their Pets-96a072708ec94a5ea46b5d5dd1cae0b1.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-d987ef64ae644f6b8fcbb1413396126b.jpeg

Ps. Animals can be unpredictable at times. Be careful while putting on the collar and avoid it altogether if the animal resists. Please avoid on puppies, or other animals who're not fully grown up. You'll be doing more harm than good.

Last edited by self_driven : 15th January 2024 at 13:19. Reason: Added pics
Old 15th January 2024, 13:23   #6404
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore pet owners,
Asking for a friend. Is there any boarding setup that allows boarding for cat(s) for about a year? The friend is moving out of country for a short term engagement and can't take the pets with him. No question of him abandoning the pets; he's considering other options but nothing concrete yet (given they are cats and not dogs).

Any recommendations basis past experience and or validated information is much appreciated. No location constraints (in case if there's any setup outside the city boundaries).
Old 15th January 2024, 14:40   #6405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_maverick View Post
Congratulations and Thank you for bringing an Indie to your house.

Adopt, Don't shop.

IMHO, 2 weeks is a little too early to get the puppy home. Ideally, if possible, let the puppy be with the mother till they are at least 8 weeks old.
I had to take him home 10 days after birth due to various reasons. I was worried whether he will survive; but he survived on cow milk, my son's old feeding bottle and my Mom's care. Now he even started taking solid food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
Do post pics someday here.
Meet our PLUTO - 3.5 weeks old

Thanks to @anshumandun for his name and this post - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5691061 (Have you escaped/survived any dangerous non-automotive situations?)

Team-BHPians and their Pets-pluto.jpg

Will take him to a Vet in few weeks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks