Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2023, 19:56   #6376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
None. Unless you have specific allergies.

Without trying to sound condescending, this is much like asking “should one make a trip to the bathroom, having heard many horror stories of people slipping there and dying “.

Hygiene is important with a indoor cat or otherwise. Cats in fact take hygiene far far more seriously in a single day than any of us can in a single lifetime.
But you actually are being condescending. Reminds me of how the line "With all due respect" always is a prelude to something utterly disrespectful.

The reason I'm hurt by all the snarkiness - I actually need to know what's up with fur, pet dander and its impact on pet owners. One - there's all this research literature that says humans do get impacted by it. Next up - the two instances that I cited were proper cases where the medical advise given to the pet owners was to eschew them. Period. Neither of these guys had an allergy to start with.

So I guess I'll just figure this out on my own. It's not as if you can actually get straight answers on the internet these days anyhow, without getting your character murdered and your child slaughtered in the process. This response was pretty much par for the course, I get that.

Thanks to the other member who actually gave me a proper reply I had to give up on adopting a lovely street cat ("Momo") earlier this year because of my family's aversion to pets, since we've seen these medical cases...sigh. I should've fought to keep Momo.
Old 24th December 2023, 20:21   #6377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Thanks to the other member who actually gave me a proper reply I had to give up on adopting a lovely street cat ("Momo") earlier this year because of my family's aversion to pets, since we've seen these medical cases...sigh. I should've fought to keep Momo.
Ask a vet in your vicinity. I have asked a lot of times. The answer is always the same. Proper vaccinations, proper medications along with upkeep of hygiene is the way to keep pets at home. Grooming them is equally important. Without these, both the humans at home and the pets are equally at risk.
I know a lot of people who abandoned or had to abandon their pets on their doctor's advice. You are not alone. Such is life. Best is to speak with multiple doctors/vets and form your own opinion.
There are also people who abandon everything else to keep their pets. I don't think anybody is wrong with whatever decisions they make. With the fast paced life it is difficult to properly maintain a pet. Strenuous efforts are required

It is a boon if folks are supportive. Goes for anything an individual does in life though.
Old 24th December 2023, 20:31   #6378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
need to know what's up with fur, pet dander and its impact on pet owners. One - there's all this research literature that says humans do get impacted by it. Next up - the two instances that I cited were proper cases where the medical advise given to the pet owners was to eschew them. Period. Neither of these guys had an allergy to start with.
I should've fought to keep Momo.
1. There is nothing wrong with fur. If there was there will not be billions of people around the world who live in close proximity with animals. And I mean sleeping on the same bed. Have you visited and lived over with friends and family who have had cats and dogs for a lifetime? Consider doing this first to get first hand information.

2. There will always be literature for pro and against anything in this world. You just have to decide which way. How? Check for your own allergies first. That is always the number 1 reason why people can’t deal with fur. None? Go to the next. Second, understand your risk appetite. If family says no for any reason not biologically threatening, can you stand your ground and hold out for the one you adopted? Yes, go forward. Outside of these 2 concerns nothing else is in our hands.

3. Be specific with your questions. My singular answer was and is, allergies. The off chance it’s something else and not an allergy means something is very very wrong with the person in question biologically. This cannot be a generalised topic of discussion amongst us who are neither veterinarians nor doctors.

4. Both dogs and cats are used as comfort care givers for people with fatalistic terminal illnesses at hospitals around the world. Please think and consider - if the issues you seem to have come across are so problematic, why keep them close to stage 4 cancer patients who might need the most severe form of seclusion considering their immunity is the weakest?

https://www.oncologynurseadvisor.com...nts-treatment/

I gave that comparison of the bathroom because for animal parents here in this part of the forum that is exactly what some of your findings sounded like.

The disconcerting issue is if anything happens tomorrow, the family will find it very easy to blame the cat or dog and you. So make sure your family is on board for the love of the animal as like you seem to be for sure.

Last edited by Red Liner : 24th December 2023 at 20:33.
Old 24th December 2023, 21:15   #6379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Pl get him vaxxed ASAP if you haven't already, I just lost my ginger cat to feline panleukopenia & it pains me a lot. (He was also neutered but waiting to get vaxxed)
Really sorry to hear about this. My guy's vaccinations have been done . Thanks for the heads up.
Old 24th December 2023, 21:39   #6380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi raihan I'm very sorry for your loss. Your kitty is a good boy and he'd know that you love him and did your best for him. One day hopefully you'll meet again.

Best.
Thank you so much bro, there is nothing that I wouldn't have done to save him. I took him to the vet within the same hour of me realising that he's sick but the whole thing derailed despite our best efforts & in 24 hrs or so he breathed his last!

This is his last pic taken just a day before he got sick. Such an adorable boy
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-jerry.jpg  

Old 24th December 2023, 21:44   #6381
BHPian

We have three indoor cats, all adopted, of which two are Indies, and one is Persian.

All three of them sleep with us and walk around the kitchen sink, sofas, tables, etc. It seems there will be a hell of a bunch of fur in our stomachs. So far, there are no indications of any ailments.

Indies groom themselves like crazy, and they are very clean. We need to groom the Persian daily to avoid knots in her fur and shave the hair around her bum to prevent litter sediment buildup once every two weeks.

We will scoop the litter daily, wash the litter boxes every two weeks, and replace the litter sand monthly. We are using non-scented clumping litter.

We deworm the cats every three months using a spot-on treatment, while we deworm ourselves every six months. Yearly vaccinations are a must. Make sure they are neutered.

Pets are a responsibility, and we have to ensure they are living in a healthy environment.
Old 25th December 2023, 01:04   #6382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Pl get him vaxxed ASAP if you haven't already, I just lost my ginger cat to feline panleukopenia & it pains me a lot. (He was also neutered but waiting to get vaxxed)
That's so heart breaking

Our Ginger too caught FPV last October 6th (then 6 months old) had a bad prognosis due to her terrible vitals. She was admitted at CGS Gurgaon for 5 days. With lots of prayers and better treatment she survived. Just had her second dose vaccination done. It was our mistake to delay the vaccination.

Her Mother Smoky (then 1 year old) was adopted from our parking last January 15th. She delivered 4 Gingers on April 24th. 3 Gingers got adopted by 2 passionate cat lovers by late June and they are living their life to the fullest.

Our cats are 90% inside home and 10% on Terrace (under our surveillance). Smoky had her both dose vaccination back in February/March itself. We had planned Ginger's first dose vaccination on October 8th but she was diagnosed FPV on 6th.

A request to all furball lovers. Please take vaccination of your kittens at the earliest (by 10 weeks) and adult cats annually. This along with annual health checkups can keep them playful and healthy.
Old 25th December 2023, 01:23   #6383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've got to ask - what do cat owners think about the effect of fur and/or feline saliva on their family's health?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
None. Unless you have specific allergies.
Spot on. That is your right answer.

Quote:
The reason I'm hurt by all the snarkiness - I actually need to know what's up with fur, pet dander and its impact on pet owners.
And it isn't snarky. I used to have this conversation with a girlfriend (who was a nurse):

"Animals spread diseases."
"True. But not as many as humans do."

Snarky? I don't deny it, but I do hold by it. Now I have a wife with even worse attitude to my cats. Sadly, I didn't find that out before.

Yes, if one is allergic to cats, they will have a bad effect. In my whole life, I have met two to three people who had genuine allergies re cats or dogs.

I had an eye allergy for months and months. The doc suggested life without cats. Well no, that's not an option. Would he suggest trying life without the children? Anway, although it is possible to develop a new allergy, I've had a life full of cats, and it didn't seem likely.

And, eventually, the allergy went away. Cause never found.

Practical Aspects:

Cat fur is very fine. Long or short, they all have an inner layer of short, finer hair. It can be irritating. If one feels like it is in our eyes, just wipe with a cloth.

Cat fur can fill your house. The extent to which it does depends on how much you brush them. Brush them often, and you won't loose your keyboard under the fur. They like it too.

The lighter the colour, the finer the fur.

And finally, be careful whom you marry. If it's already too late, I sympathise. But hey, I wouldn't throw the cats out, and I won't throw the wife out either

And finally finally: don't listen to the doom mongers and the hyper hygienists! They are just missing out on learning from cats and dogs and letting the animals be good for them.
Old 25th December 2023, 01:48   #6384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
That's so heart breaking

Our Ginger too caught FPV last October 6th (then 6 months old) had a bad prognosis due to her terrible vitals. She was admitted at CGS Gurgaon for 5 days. With lots of prayers and better treatment she survived. Just had her second dose vaccination done. It was our mistake to delay the vaccination.
You are so lucky buddy, may your ginger have a long & fulfilling life!
I didn't believe it would all end like this in a matter of just 24hrs for Jerry & the vet here didn't suggest hospitilisation. Jerry too was young (8 months old). Born on my terrace to a stray cat.

I never lost a cat like this until now, previously my black & white cats lived for 13 years(mauled by a stray dog) & 7 years(went missing) at different time frames. Both were indoor/outdoor cats.

Life just sucks without one - Only a cat lover could know!
Old 25th December 2023, 05:46   #6385
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
We deworm the cats every three months using a spot-on treatment
What exactly is spot-on treatment? Is it a non-oral treatment? If yes, I am very interested!

Quote:
Our Ginger too caught FPV last October 6th (then 6 months old) had a bad prognosis due to her terrible vitals. She was admitted at CGS Gurgaon for 5 days. With lots of prayers and better treatment she survived. Just had her second dose vaccination done.
Since the cat/kitten already had been infected, it would already have antibodies. So why was vaccination require right after infection? I think infection would protect the cat against reinfections at least for a couple of years?
Old 25th December 2023, 06:51   #6386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What exactly is spot-on treatment? Is it a non-oral treatment? If yes, I am very interested

Yes, it is a non-oral treatment, as our Indies are very adept at identifying these medicines, no matter how well we try to conceal them. Here is the solution: spot-on. As per my knowledge, it utilizes sebaceous glands to be absorbed into the bloodstream. The dosage should be administered based on the weight.

We uses the below brand :
Clearkill SMT Selamectin https://amzn.eu/d/0cp2t6d

How to administer a spot on :
Old 25th December 2023, 08:32   #6387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What exactly is spot-on treatment? Is it a non-oral treatment? If yes, I am very interested!
Quote:
We have done this twice over 4+ years for flea treatment for our cats. Never heard of it for deworming, that's generally a quick syringe input via mouth done by the vet (I have done it once or twice for one of the docile cats myself). Very effective if your cat(s) have a heavy flea infestation.
Old 25th December 2023, 09:58   #6388
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
We have done this twice over 4+ years for flea treatment for our cats. Never heard of it for deworming.
Sorry for the error about the medicine. My wife is the one who buy this and she corrected me on the medicine. We are buying this :Bayer Elanco Advocate. This is one for all solution which works against external parasites like fleas, ticks, lice, mites as well as intestinal worms like tapeworm, hookworms, roundworm, heartworm, lungworm, ear mites etc.

https://shakehands.co.in/products/el...for-cat-4-8-kg.

@mods : if possible kindly correct the link in the post #6386. Extremely sorry for the mistake

Last edited by greyhound82 : 25th December 2023 at 10:07. Reason: Adding request to moderators
Old 25th December 2023, 12:55   #6389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Since the cat/kitten already had been infected, it would already have antibodies. So why was vaccination require right after infection? I think infection would protect the cat against reinfections at least for a couple of years?
Our Ginger was not vaccinated at all. Vet (CGS) recommended for vaccination after 30 days form FPV recovery. Even though antibodies are developed there is a chance of reinfection if the cat undergo stress. Since FPV attacks bone marrow and intestinal linings it is highly recommend vaccinating post FPV recovery. These vaccines are also to prevent other feline deadly diseases.
Old 25th December 2023, 13:47   #6390
BANNED

Quote:
Even though antibodies are developed there is a chance of reinfection if the cat undergo stress.
If infection induced antibodies don't prevent the reinfection, how will vaccine induced antibodies prevent it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks