Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2024, 18:27   #4711
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

See SEBI guidelines for KYC's done before Nov-22,. You need to update and get them verified and validated for continuity of transactions.

This is mandated from 01 April 2024.

The Mutual Funds Thread-screenshot-20240423-182402.png
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 22:15   #4712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy1503 View Post
1- Shall I go ahead with SIP's and if so will I be able to purchase funds in a lumpsump basis of that particular fund?
Answer is yes - you can purchase units in lumpsum for funds where you have only SIPs. Vice versa is also possible (start lumpsum and then add SIPs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy1503 View Post
2-Right now I am able to only invest a limited amount close to 30k so shall I split this amount as well into the different funds or start with a single fund currently and start a SIP for other funds?
If you are planning to start an SIP immediately, then you can split the 30K and invest across your target funds.

As you are only 26 you can definitely go aggressive on your fund mix. And don't stop the investments in 5 - 10 years like you are thinking now. Continue this until you retire. It will be a sizeable nest egg.

As for choosing the funds, I would suggest checking Alpha, Return (3 year, 5 year), Performance against index and expense ratio before choosing your funds. I use Value Research Online to filter funds by the category and review based on the above characteristics. Finally, recheck & rebalance every 6 months (I am lazy and do it only once in a year )
kbnissan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 18:27   #4713
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
See SEBI guidelines for KYC's done before Nov-22,. You need to update and get them verified and validated for continuity of transactions.
I am seeing lots of KYC noise off lately on X with people not being able to redeem their investments due to KYC mismatches. Just wondering if we all need to go and get KYC done once more and if yes, how and where.
Old 24th April 2024, 18:44   #4714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Just wondering if we all need to go and get KYC done once more and if yes, how and where.
All need not do ReKYC. What is being said is that those who had submitted Adhar and status being mentioned as 'Validated' are good to go. Have attached a screenshot from today's LiveMint.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mutual Funds Thread-screenshot-20240424-184058.png  

skchettry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 18:58   #4715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I am seeing lots of KYC noise off lately on X with people not being able to redeem their investments due to KYC mismatches. Just wondering if we all need to go and get KYC done once more and if yes, how and where.
For those having doubts on KYC status (needs to be seen as validated), just click on the below site with your credentials. If not, ypu need to go through the process of re-verification and re-validation of your phone nr/email id and Pan-Adhaar link.

The Mutual Funds Thread-screenshot-20240424-185617.png

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th April 2024 at 19:01.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 20:07   #4716
BHPian

From what I understand - there are 5 KRAs who ensure KYC compliance - CAMS KRA, CVL KRA, Karvy KRA, NSDL KRA, and NSE KRA.

Is it enough that one is KYC compliant on one of them? Or do we need to be KYC compliant on all?
Old 24th April 2024, 20:32   #4717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbnissan View Post
---
Is it enough that one is KYC compliant on one of them? Or do we need to be KYC compliant on all?
You need to have 'KYC validated' in any one of them.

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th April 2024 at 20:34.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 06:13   #4718
BHPian

Just got on to the MF bandwagon last year. The idea is to have a decent retirement corpus, and to that end would like expert opinions on the following portfolio:

The Mutual Funds Thread-img_4863.jpeg

The Mutual Funds Thread-img_4864.jpeg

The Mutual Funds Thread-img_4865.jpeg

In addition to above, also have holdings in couple of ETF’s. Investment horizon is 17-18 years.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 09:37   #4719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Just got on to the MF bandwagon last year. The idea is to have a decent retirement corpus, and to that end would like expert opinions on the following portfolio:

In addition to above, also have holdings in couple of ETF’s. Investment horizon is 17-18 years.
Based on 25 years of investing experience I give my humble opinion as below.

1. Way too many funds. There are likely to be overlaps.
2. There are no ELSS funds. These are one of the best tax saving options. How do you take benefits of section 80 C ?
3. Investing in NPS upto 50 K (for some more than this) would get tax benefits under section 80 CCD. Also gives you exposure to market returns.
4. Based on the popular opinion that very few active funds beat the benchmarks over the long term, the best way to invest in MFs would be
a) Nifty 50 index funds (covers top 50 companies)
b) Nifty 150 midcap index funds (covers the mid cap universe)
c) Nifty 250 small cap index funds (covers the small cap universe)
d) Look out for Sovereign Gold bond offerings - has returned almost 20% in the last three months. A small exposure for diversification is a good idea. Has EEE tax advantage also if held till maturity.

Regards
Capri89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 11:25   #4720
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Just got on to the MF bandwagon last year. ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Based on 25 years of investing experience I give my humble opinion as below.

c) Nifty 250 small cap index funds (covers the small cap universe)
d) Look out for Sovereign Gold bond offerings - has returned almost 20% in the last three months. A small exposure for diversification is a good idea. Has EEE tax advantage also if held till maturity.
I would concur with the solid advice given by Capri89, except the above two. Exposure to small cap stocks, if needed explicitly, would be better served by active funds rather than the small cap index. Fund manager stock picking skills still matter in the small cap category, and an active strategy would help.

But more importantly, in flexicap or thematic funds, the fund managers have the flexibility to invest in small cap stocks as long as they are convinced of its potential, one need not explicitly invest in small cap funds. Consequently, Flexicap/Midcaps/Thematic funds end up having 5-10% in small cap stocks which should be sufficient for any investor. So instead of 3 small cap funds, I would suggest investing in 2 active Flexicap funds (Parag Parikh Flexicap fund being one of them. This fund has exposure also to global stocks like Alphabet, Meta, and Amazon.

On the sovereign gold bonds, though the recent returns are very good (I have been damn lucky to have gained by this rise), it is misleading. How can one predict what the gold price will be precisely 8 years down the line, when it is time for redemption? So, unless you actively buy & sell these bonds in the secondary market, you have a timing risk. A better option is Multi-asset allocation funds, which have typically have some exposure to Gold or Gold related stocks. You can eliminate the timing risk by investing/redeeming systematically.
DigitalOne is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 16:35   #4721
Senior - BHPian

Experts have a query, request suggestions.

Recently I have recd a windfall from previous company and intend to invest it in Mutual funds. The investment horizon is 5 yrs, the goal is wealth accumulation for my son's higher studies post Engg if he needs it. If he doesn't (and can manage on own funds) then I can use the same for an international vacation or add to the retirement kitty.

I already have investments across the Large, Mid, Small, Flexi, Hybrid aggressive, Short term, Liquid mutuals fund from various fund houses. Do I route the corpus to any one of these or should I think about sectoral funds preferably the Infrastructure ones. At present my portfolio does not have the sectoral funds and looking at the returns some of the funds from Nippon, ICICI, Quant etc have been giving over 3 yrs I am tempted to invest in them. Plus with the stock market going strong and expected to go even more higher with the election results, would I miss the bus if I dont invest in these funds. The plan is to invest in Liquid fund and do STP to the Infrastructure funds.

Let me know if this is a good approach, I am open to suggestions too.
Old 28th May 2024, 09:44   #4722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts have a query, request suggestions.

Recently I have recd a windfall from previous company and intend to invest it in Mutual funds. The investment horizon is 5 yrs, the goal is..
Looks like your core investments are pretty solid and you are willing to take an extra calculated risk with this surplus that you have got. In this case, I would suggest you go for it, especially since you are minimizing the timing risk by doing an STP. You can also look at Momentum funds, which typically give good returns in bull markets.

One thing to note - Your goal horizon is 5 years, that is Apr-May 2029. In that period, we would be in the next election cycle i.e. uncertain/volatile markets. If you would need the money at that time, it would be prudent to a SWP from year 4 onwards itself.
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 17:28   #4723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
You can also look at Momentum funds, which typically give good returns in bull markets.
Thanks for the suggestion. Any recommendations? Which category do these funds belong to?

Quote:
If you would need the money at that time, it would be prudent to a SWP from year 4 onwards itself.
Valid point and noted. Thanks.

I have shortlisted the below 4 mutual funds, looking for advise/suggestions from the experts and those who are invested in these.
1. Quant Infrastructure fund
2. ICICI Pru Infrastructure Fund
3. Kotak Infrastructure and Economic Reform Fund
4. SBI Infrastructure Fund.

The above are 5 and 4 star rated funds as per valueresearchonline. Amongst the above Kotak is the one with least volatility and Quant being the most volatile, returns wise its vice versa.
Old 29th May 2024, 09:54   #4724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Any recommendations? Which category do these funds belong to?
Momentum funds are "Thematic" funds, in the sense that they follow a certain investment theme. I had written about Momentum funds earlier here (Do you play the stock market).
Old 31st May 2024, 16:01   #4725
BHPian

I've been investing in MF through ETMoney app for a few years now. Today I found that they have stopped accepting new investments in all Quant mutual fund AMC funds except for liquid fund. I shot an email to the helpdesk which sent a generic reply saying technical reasons. Does anyone know what could be the issue. Also, is there any app which is better than ETMoney in terms of user interface and ease of use. I've seen Groww but didn't like it. The UI feels cluttered and the informations are not easily accessible. I don't like to invest directly through AMC's page as that would make me go to different AMC site and I like the consolidated portfolio view that fintech apps provide. So is there a better alternative to ETMoney that you guys use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks