Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2024, 11:26   #4651

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
A careful reading of my post will show that there are words like "expected to....". The last paragraph also admits that there can be "downward trend" in NAV.
Fair point. However, I got the impression, and I may be wrong here, that you are assuming/expecting NAV to continuously go up.

Quote:
It is also pertinent to note that ET Money has a very useful rating which they call "Consistency of Returns". If you look at any fund having >4.5 rating under this criteria, the NAV graph have no or negligible dip: it is mostly up. In conclusion, I do understand that NAV can go up and down.
Different publications rate differently. I have observed that many look at very short term data.
I hope you have looked at the underlying rating mechanism for ET Money.

Quote:
I would rather stick to those funds which go consistently up over three to five years period. It shows that the fund managers are excellent, and the fund is performing well. IMHO an NAV that have many fluctuation similar to some stock price illustrates a badly managed fund.
Not sure which category of funds you are looking at. For pure equity, 3-5 years is too short a duration.
You may want to look from the perspective of your investment/goal horizon and then check historical rolling return for that period.
tasty911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 11:51   #4652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
What do the experts here think about the new SBI Energy Opportunities fund NFO? Worth investing? Looks like a high-risk-high-gain scenario to me.
Not an expert :-)

Given the market conditions, I cannot see how the stocks can give further high returns in the short term.
Of course, future valuations depends on one's outlook.

I see the current markets factoring in lots of optimism and very richly valued.
The reasoning is the energy sector is prone to government intervention, especially the OMCs & ONGC/OIL. The OMCs will probably have a bad next few quarters (assuming price reduction for diesel, petrol, lpg) due to elections.
There are of course other sub sectors (solar, wind, thermal, EV etc.) but the current prices already factoring in a boom in the coming years.

This approach would also give some time to check how the portfolio is constructed by the MF and then take a call.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 13:13   #4653
BHPian

As a general principle , I avoid NFOs. That too in a sectoral fund
dmplog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 21:49   #4654
BHPian

I am humbled by the responses my posts have received. It's a display of the depth of knowledge that fellow members have. On my part I started late in mutual fund investment, initially depending on others to do the investment for me and never bothered to understand it. It's only recently that I have started to study it myself. And I certainly haven't looked at very long horizon.

Personally it also brings to the fore cultural differences in approach to finance and investment. Hopefully I can teach my son to be investment savvy.
Guite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 13:35   #4655
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I believe in investing in not more than 4-5 funds at a time. As of today, I have one Nifty-50 index Fund & one each of large/mid/small/flexi cap. As a personal preference I stay away from any thematic or sectoral funds. I stick to MCAP size.

I monitor my funds on monthly basis. From past few months my Large cap fund (Canara Robeco Bluechip Equity Fund) is suffering in risk ratios. Its Alpha is degrading rapidly. While I do not want to give any knee jerk reaction, I want to keep searching for another good funds in large cap category. So if my funds performance doesn't improve in next 6 months, I may switch to another fund.

While doing search I found that "JM Large Cap Fund" is doing very good in terms of risk ratios. Overall numbers looks solid. Only one thing that caught my eye is AUM. Seems like fund was started in 2013/14. But still AUM is just 80 Cr. This is quite surprising to me.

Any expert thoughts on why a fund with such a good performance is failing to get investor money?

Also any other suggestion on good large cap fund would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by VaibhaoT : 21st February 2024 at 13:36.
Old 25th February 2024, 10:28   #4656
BHPian

While looking up options I have compiled a Google Sheet showing MF ratings of two categories. For me it's practically a one time use, so I am sharing so that it maybe useful to more people.

Second one is a sample portfolio of fictional investment. It is based on the structure that I am using. It needs regular user input, and is not accurate to the t. It is just a personal way of compiling data. Btw, I use MFCentral and Value Research for portfolio compilation.

To anyone who wants to play around with this spreadsheet, copy it to your Google Drive and open it from there. The file has two tabs, representated by the two images posted below. All links are clickable.

This is just a layman effort. In case of errors please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mutual Funds Thread-compare.png  

The Mutual Funds Thread-portfolio-sample.png  

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Sample MF Portfolio.xlsx (20.6 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by Guite : 25th February 2024 at 10:30.
Guite is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 19:51   #4657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
Hello Everyone,

I believe in investing in not more than 4-5 funds at a time. As of today, I have one Nifty-50 index Fund & one each of large/mid/small/flexi cap. As a personal preference I stay away from any thematic or sectoral funds. I stick to MCAP size.

I monitor my funds on monthly basis. From past few months my Large cap fund (Canara Robeco Bluechip Equity Fund) is suffering in risk ratios. Its Alpha is degrading rapidly. While I do not want to give any knee jerk reaction, I want to keep searching for another good funds in large cap category. So if my funds performance doesn't improve in next 6 months, I may switch to another fund.

While doing search I found that "JM Large Cap Fund" is doing very good in terms of risk ratios. Overall numbers looks solid. Only one thing that caught my eye is AUM. Seems like fund was started in 2013/14. But still AUM is just 80 Cr. This is quite surprising to me.

Any expert thoughts on why a fund with such a good performance is failing to get investor money?
[

Thanks!
Please give two to three years for any mutual fund scheme performance. If that is over in your estimation, then you can decide

B]It is the fame of the fund house / star fund managers which play a part, apart from the fund performance. Sometimes, a bad performance of the few funds, impact other schemes, though well performing (E-g Debt fund fiasco of Franklin led to an exodus of all other funds also)[/b]

Prudential ICICI Bluechip fund
srikanthns is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 08:40   #4658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
I have been investing in MFs for past 10 years now. And after some changes, I have fixed on 5 MFs very similar to your strategy. One large cap, one mid cap, two small cap (for safety), one flexi cap and one nifty 50. My allocations are in the ratio - large cap 65%, midcap 25%, small cap 10%.

In the past 2-3 years I stopped my investments in the following - Axis Focused 25, UTI Flexi cap, Franklin India Focused Equity.

For large cap - I suggest ICICI Pru Bluechip fund. Has been a good performer and acts as my anchor for the majority of my corpus.
Naetik30 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 11:22   #4659
BHPian

Greetings to all,
My name is Tanmay. I am currently 20 years old studying MBBS (3rd year). I am looking forward to start Mutual Funds for long term (15-20 years).

I plan to invest around 12-15k per month for the same.

I shortlisted-
1. ICICI prudential Blue chip Fund
2. PP Flexi Cap
3. MOTILAL Oswal Midcap
All these are direct MFs

So can you all please tell whether these are fine or should I change it a bit.
After seeing the above list I became interested in Mirae Large &Midcap Fund and Quant Flexi Cap.

So can the members please suggest In which particular AMC MFs should I invest?
Tanmay_868 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 11:32   #4660

I am not an expert but going by the current market scenario I have heard many established investors say that right now INDEX FUND like NIFTY 150 MIDCAP INDEX FUND is a safe bet. Because the market is going sideways mostly right now. If interest rate cuts is announced by US, then the market might pick up pace. Otherwise it is a volatile scenario. Investing in INDEX FUND compared to MFs is a better deal as per experts.
Old 27th February 2024, 11:33   #4661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post
Greetings to all,
My name is Tanmay. I am currently 20 years old studying MBBS (3rd year). I am looking forward to start Mutual Funds for long term (15-20 years).

I shortlisted-
2. PP Flexi Cap
3. MOTILAL Oswal Midcap
All these are direct MFs

After seeing the above list I became interested in Mirae Large &Midcap Fund and Quant Flexi Cap.

Personal opinion - The shortlisted funds are good. I have HDFC mid cap instead of Motilal Oswal. I would recommend a equal split across all the 3 funds.
Naetik30 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 13:24   #4662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Personal opinion - The shortlisted funds are good. I have HDFC mid cap instead of Motilal Oswal. I would recommend a equal split across all the 3 funds.
Check with

- Canara Robecco
- Quant funds

i always invest via Zerodha COin ( Direct Deal )
Old 27th February 2024, 14:41   #4663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are the goals for which you are investing? Suggest to have that defined first and then move to the category of fund which will help build that corpus. Hope you have done a self research on websites like value research or Morning star or Et money etc or were the MF's you mentioned a random pick?
Old 27th February 2024, 16:00   #4664
BHPian

Quote:
I shortlisted-
2. PP Flexi Cap
3. MOTILAL Oswal Midcap
All these are direct MFs

That's a pretty good shortlist! A hat tip for choosing so well, and choosing to invest so early.

I'm a big admirer of Quant's mutual funds. Quant Flexi Cap is an excellent fund but PP Flexi Cap is quite good too. I'd recommend adding Quant Quantamental Fund to the mix instead.
Old 27th February 2024, 16:38   #4665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What are the goals for which you are investing? Suggest to have that defined first and then move to the category of fund which will help build that corpus. Hope you have done a self research on websites like value research or Morning star or Et money etc or were the MF's you mentioned a random pick?
Well there is no particular goal as such.
I Just want that I have with me a good corpus in my 40s for business growth and personal needs (buying a Nice car).
I am clear in my investment time frame ie 20 years or so.
I have done my research and compared various MFs for overlapping too.
Went through various parameters and then finalized these. Mainly compared their past returns and total fund value, expense ratio and all that.
Found out that debt funds won’t be good for this financial year due to uncertainties in lending interest rate. So focusing on equities.
My main preference is 1 Flexi Cap for max return, 1 large cap and 1 mid cap or Midcap-Largecap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti View Post
I'm a big admirer of Quant's mutual funds. Quant Flexi Cap is an excellent fund but PP Flexi Cap is quite good too. I'd recommend adding Quant Quantamental Fund to the mix instead.
So what should be my final shortlist (please tell name of exact AMC)
I too want to invest in Quant but their Flexi cap Fund size is very less as compared to others. So not completely sure about it.

To which sector does Quant Quantamental fund belong to?
Will invest lump sum into it and not do SIP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks