Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 16:29   #3436
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Pgim Amc

I had never heard of this PGIM AMC till recently. Off late their funds seem to be giving good returns. Then I thought it was a new AMC but looks like some of their funds have been there since Sep-2004. Is this a recently renamed/merged/acquired AMC ? How is the fund house with respect to reliability?
Old 17th August 2020, 18:22   #3437
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Would like to get some advice. I use VR for tracking my investments, as i believe many of us here do. Hitherto, i have always manually entered my portfolio, but since there is an automatic upload (from CAS) option, i was curious about it. How safe is it to use it since the CAS, apart from your holdings, also contains many other stuff, including your Demat/client id, bank details etc.
Old 21st August 2020, 17:09   #3438
BHPian

Hello Gurus,

I came across the following 2 funds

Franklin India Feeder - Franklin U.S. Opportunities Fund
Motilal Oswal Nasdaq 100 Fund of Fund (MOFN100FOF)

Both the funds invests in the US. Anything we should be aware of before investing in them? I am planning to start an SIP of 5k each in these funds.
Old 22nd August 2020, 11:07   #3439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Would like to get some advice. I use VR for tracking my investments, as i believe many of us here do. Hitherto, i have always manually entered my portfolio, but since there is an automatic upload (from CAS) option, i was curious about it. How safe is it to use it since the CAS, apart from your holdings, also contains many other stuff, including your Demat/client id, bank details etc.
I did it once. Realised a lot of personal details including password are revealed. Not sure how safe it is. In addition since I have a lot of SIPs, which need to be manually uploaded every now and then with their correct dates or wait for the next CAS to be uploaded again, I stopped my work on having a portfolio on VR. I now just look up for my portfolio on the two of my advisors websites and MFU. MFU portfolio has some shortcomings compared to the the ones on my advisors sites. Having all the required data available this way, I now realise it was a mistake on my part to upload my CAS on VR.
skchettry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 19:48   #3440
BHPian

Quote:
Would like to get some advice.....but since there is an automatic upload (from CAS) option, i was curious about it. How safe is it to use it since the CAS, apart from your holdings, also contains many other stuff, including your Demat/client id, bank details etc.
IIRC when I selected the upload from CAS option, it triggered a password controlled file to my registered
mail ID. Noticed that personal details in that file were not masked at all, so did not upload.

Surprisingly, VR sent a reminder seeking to forward the file and password for the file to their mail ID for a manual upload by their back office, which made me wary of sharing.

IMHO personal details were non-relevant to be shared to track the portfolio performance. Sharing such details could expose you to risks if any truant employee in their back office decides to misuse it.
Fx14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 21:43   #3441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
You could also choose funds based on "investing styles" like value investing or dividend yield investing
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...uspended-plans
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...uspended-plans
Thanks Smartcat.
The Banking PSU and Gilt category showing sudden correction. Is this the fear of inflation driving them lower? Whats your take?
Old 22nd August 2020, 22:54   #3442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
The Banking PSU and Gilt category showing sudden correction. Is this the fear of inflation driving them lower? Whats your take?
In my opinion, market is sensing that RBI is now looking at Inflation and interest rate may have bottomed out. When interest rate move up, long term funds like those from Banking & PSU and Gilt category tend to be volatile.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 23:11   #3443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Thanks Smartcat. The Banking PSU and Gilt category showing sudden correction. Is this the fear of inflation driving them lower? Whats your take?
Yes, during the last RBI meeting, rates were not lowered. Bond markets are sensing that RBI will actually increase interest rates.

It might make sense for investors in "Constant Maturity" Gilt funds to move into "Regular" Gilt funds - so that fund manager can take a call on what to do. If he feels that interest rates will continue to rise, he will sell govt bonds (long tenure) and buy treasury bills (short tenure). Regular gilt funds will fall less than constant maturity gilt funds.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 10:13   #3444
BHPian

Quote:
Regular gilt funds will fall less than constant maturity gilt funds.
In case of regular gilt funds in such a scenario of expected increase in interest rates, would it be advisable to move funds to overnight / liquid funds or continue to stay invested in the gilt fund itself?
Old 23rd August 2020, 10:48   #3445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
In case of regular gilt funds in such a scenario of expected increase in interest rates, would it be advisable to move funds to overnight / liquid funds or continue to stay invested in the gilt fund itself?
Sadly, one cannot accurately predict interest rates. Professionals (mutual fund managers) might have an edge here, and its best left for them to decide what to do. On an individual level, if you fear volatility, you can shift money in gilt funds to overnight/liquid funds.

If you don't mind volatility but want higher returns, you should consider "averaging down" a gilt mutual fund. Unlike equity funds or stocks, a gilt fund is guaranteed (by design) to reach all time highs a few years down the line.

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd August 2020 at 10:51.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 11:41   #3446
BHPian

Quote:
If you don't mind volatility but want higher returns, you should consider "averaging down" a gilt mutual fund. Unlike equity funds or stocks, a gilt fund is guaranteed (by design) to reach all time highs a few years down the line.
Given the significant run up over the past year or so, would be actually "averaging up" rather.

Sometime back had redeemed holdings in the Constant Maturity Plan after observing consistent under performance compared to the normal investment plan, yet ended up with ~10% returns, post which it went down further. Now, the normal plan too is progressively decreasing to those levels, hence was wondering if that is the right thing to do.

Post the debacles in some debt schemes (am locked in couple of the frozen Franklin schemes), wondering if similar approach to equity funds of booking profits and re-entry makes sense in debt funds as well.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:08   #3447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
Sometime back had redeemed holdings in the Constant Maturity Plan after observing consistent under performance compared to the normal investment plan, yet ended up with ~10% returns, post which it went down further.
Constant maturity gilt fund will outperform regular gilt fund over a long period of time because of significantly lower expense ratio. After all, the fund manager of constant maturity gilt fund has no decisions to take - it almost runs on auto-pilot. It will also outperform a regular gilt fund when interest rates are falling.

But regular gilt funds will outperform constant maturity gilt funds when interest rates are rising. And it achieves good returns with relatively low volatility.

Quote:
Post the debacles in some debt schemes (am locked in couple of the frozen Franklin schemes), wondering if similar approach to equity funds of booking profits and re-entry makes sense in debt funds as well.
I have been doing this for two decades now. However, don't make a complete exit and re-entry. Instead, in your mutual fund portfolio, fix a desired percentage for each type of fund and maintain it by rebalancing. This way, you will buy low and sell high. For example, lets say this is the desired allocation for each type of fund:

- Multicap equity funds (30%)
- International equity funds (10%)
- Gold funds (20%)
- Gilt funds (20%)
- Overnight/liquid funds (20%)

After many months, if Gold funds are 25% of portfolio and Gilt funds are 15%, sell some Gold funds and buy some Gilt funds so that you retain the desired allocation (20% each).

However, the disadvantage of this strategy is multiple transactions and tax implications. But from what I've seen, the resultant higher returns (buy low/sell high) and smoother volatility makes it totally worthwhile.

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd August 2020 at 12:14.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 13:01   #3448
BHPian

I am seeking long term investnent in mutual fund. I read about index funds to understand how they differ from regular mutual funds. I am already investing in some regular funds and from next month I also have new SIP starting in Motilal Oswal N100 Fof.

I am planning to start SIP is one index fund and one actively managed fund. Can anyone suggest one in each category? I can then further read about them.

I believe index funds have less charges (expense ratio?) due to they being not managed actively while I guess the actively managed funds usually have more expense ratio but also tend to best market rates.

I am also interested in Funds which invest in US markets (that's why investing in MO N100 FOF). Is there any other such fund which does not invest in US technology stocks. This is to diversify from tech stocks which the motilal oswal Fof invests in.

Last edited by raksrules : 23rd August 2020 at 13:04.
Old 23rd August 2020, 13:59   #3449
BHPian

Quote:

Not sure if its relevant however, to get a consolidate account statement related to all my mutual funds tied to a single mail id, I use

this

I simply have to enter my email id, and it sends a CAS of all my MFs including the investment value and current value to my registered e-mail id. Very useful.

I found VR cumbersome and anyway i dont trust folks who ask for too much information.
ashish.uno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 16:19   #3450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish.uno View Post
Not sure if its relevant however, to get a consolidate account statement related to all my mutual funds tied to a single mail id, I use

this
Thank you very much. I was not aware of this feature being available online. Indeed it would be quite handy to know the latest value of ones portfolio in no time. I had been doing it manually so long and it used to be a bit cumbersome because of my investments in MFs lying scattered at three different places.
Regards
skchettry is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks