Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 20:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to kill a Peepal Tree

There is a peepal plant or should I say people's plant (due to the people's myths and all) in our boundary and it grows again and again even if I uproot the small plant completely. I usually put a brick on the plant so that it can't grow further but it doesn't solve the problem. Your case is even more complex and of course hazardous also.

PS - Why this peepal or people tree grows everywhere?
Old 18th July 2011, 20:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
There is a peepal plant or should I say people's plant (due to the people's myths and all) in our boundary and it grows again and again even if I uproot the small plant completely. I usually put a brick on the plant so that it can't grow further but it doesn't solve the problem. Your case is even more complex and of course hazardous also.

PS - Why this peepal or people tree grows everywhere?

the "people" tree acquired the myths associated with it from the very fact that it is a hardy plant that likes to grow anywhere (especially on man made construction) where roots can hold - it is most common in ruins of old buildings and that is why "ghosts" live on it.

And putting a brick on any plant will not hinder growth. Even when you uproot it, some microroots and seeds remain in the soil and they sprout up again. Clean out the soil from the area and keep it dry if you can. Otherwise use a herbicide.
Old 18th July 2011, 21:14   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post

Dude If I die of an electric shock, there will not be any future generations. But thanks anyway for your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Your problem is very real. However the beliefs of the hindus are such that no one will cut a peepal tree. No point in elaborating on this, but such are the beliefs of a vast number hindus including me.

Further in Delhi, where I live, causing damage to a tree ( any tree) results in prosecution. I do not know what the law is in Mumbai.

So the solution for you is to take pictures of the damage to your property and file a complaint with the civic body. .
I love this tree particularly, but I can understand your concern. How about getting BMC to certify that this tree poses a threat to the long term stability of the building and put it at a risk of collapsing? This might provide legitimate excuse for removing it.

--Ragul
Old 18th July 2011, 23:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
It doesn't matter where he puts the salt- eventually the salt will leach out into the wall and once it does it is a poison.

You can do a little experiment at home - dissolve some two teaspoons of salt in water, put some of it in a SS spoon and then let it dry on the spoon (and leave the spoon for a few days). Even the SS will not save it from rusting away in a few days - rebar is not even SS.
The method I've written about has been used with success in our colony a few times.
My immediate neighbour used it abt 12 years ago with no ill effects-his flat is still standing!.
The amt to be used is too small to do any damage to the walls-do you seriously think that 200gms or so will result in the collapse of a wall /building?
Re the experiment suggested by you, Ma'am, we've been keeping a SS spoon in our salt container for years with no ill effect.
OTOH,using herbicides is highly dangerous;in the links posted by you its advised that only licensed & trained people should use the chemicals for killing trees, it should not be sold openly to the public etc & still their use by a layman is persistently being advocated?
Not advisable at all IMHO.
Having given our various inputs do you not feel that it now shld be left to the OP to exercise his best judgement?
Old 18th July 2011, 23:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
The method I've written about has been used with success in our colony a few times.
My immediate neighbour used it abt 12 years ago with no ill effects-his flat is still standing!.
The amt to be used is too small to do any damage to the walls-do you seriously think that 200gms or so will result in the collapse of a wall /building?
Re the experiment suggested by you, Ma'am, we've been keeping a SS spoon in our salt container for years with no ill effect.
well, I wish I could send you pictures of the damage salt can do. I have seen pictures of concrete blocks that were soaked in concentrated CaCl2 solutions for 30days - the concrete "rusts" - starts crumbling all over. That is why marine construction uses special cements.

As far as flats standing is concerned - even structurally damaged houses stand for years. Though I agree 200gms of salt may not do much damage initially (I initially thought you were talking much larger quantities)- if is remains in the wall then it can do quite a bit of damage to small sections of the wall - will turn out to be very annoying.

You can try the exact experiment I mentioned - spoon in salt jar is actually not what I told you - it has access to very little moisture and air. To put things in perspective last Friday I did not clean a SS glass after drinking salted lime soda and left it (hidden in the room behind a pile of books) - by next evening it had rust on the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
OTOH,using herbicides is highly dangerous;in the links posted by you its advised that only licensed & trained people should use the chemicals for killing trees, it should not be sold openly to the public etc & still their use by a layman is persistently being advocated?
Not advisable at all IMHO.
Having given our various inputs do you not feel that it now shld be left to the OP to exercise his best judgement?
My recommendation is not for him to use herbicides but to ask at an agricultural store about what to do. Herbicides are not particularly dangerous - farmers use them routinely in plantations. Pesticides are dangerous. Also to get rid of one tree he can probably inject very small amount directly into the tree - that will contain the herbicide as well as guarantee that the Peepal doesn't regrow. From his description it appears that the tree has spread out already - killing a few roots will not hurt it much.

Could not agree more with the last line you wrote.
Old 21st July 2011, 06:39   #36
BHPian

The discussion on salt is getting a little spicy as well :-)
though on a google search salt seems to be quite a favourite

In my opinion , given the size of the tree Wolfheart is probably going to need professional help.
Recommendation- Ask an BSc(agriculture) graduate.

Last edited by noidea : 21st July 2011 at 06:46.
Old 21st July 2011, 10:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

try what I am planning for weeds in my lawn. cut the tree as far as you can and pour boiling water on remains. do it a couple times over a few days and ensure the water reaches inside. it should kill most of the roots.

linky
Old 21st July 2011, 11:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

There has to be a chemical way which is not harmful. Commonsense says that if it was such a chore/so toxic, then no corporation would have acres and acres of landscaping. Speak through your corporate admin to the facility management guys. They would have references - or call up large nurseries who undertake turnkey horticulture contracts. They may even send a guy to come over and finish the job with a modest fee!
Old 21st July 2011, 18:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

They do it in spite of toxicity/harm. Usually the rationale is given in terms of economic advantage.

Poisoned Waters | FRONTLINE | PBS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks