Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 10:52   #1
BANNED

Fuel Efficiency and Hyper cars

Hello

Didn't post this in the Super-cars sub-forum since it seems to be mostly for pics of such exotics figured I'd post it here in the off-topic section. Now..
It's quite ridiculous to put FE and Hypercars in the same sentence but I've always wondered what kind of fuel efficiency do you think cars such as the Murciélago, Gallardo, SLR McLaren etc. would get on our bumper to bumper Indian roads ? Also, Would ride height be an issue with low slung cars such as the above ?.

Thanks.
Old 8th June 2011, 11:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fuel Efficiency and Hyper cars

SLR:approximately 2kmpl at full blast.
figure about 3-4 in b2b?
no math, and no clue actually, about b2b
Cool, eh?

Last edited by mayankk : 8th June 2011 at 11:57.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:14   #3
BHPian

Top Gear did a test of a BMW 3 series (or was it 5?) driven around their test track. All it had to do was keep pace with a Prius which was driven at its extreme. The Beamer returned better FE figures than the Prius.

This is not surprising. Performance cars have very efficient engines. Most of the efficiency goes in tapping the maximum BHP and torque but if driven sedately some of that efficiency can give you surprising FE returns.

In another TG episode, they filled up four super cars (Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, and Merc, I think - do not recall the exact models) with only 1 gallon each of fuel and drove it at full throttle around their track. The FE returned was between 2 and 4 miles to the gallon. I suppose in bumper-to-bumper traffic, this would go up by 50%? Perhaps 3 to 6 mpg?
Old 8th June 2011, 14:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Top Gear did a test of a BMW 3 series (or was it 5?) driven around their test track. All it had to do was keep pace with a Prius which was driven at its extreme. The Beamer returned better FE figures than the Prius.

This is not surprising. Performance cars have very efficient engines. Most of the efficiency goes in tapping the maximum BHP and torque but if driven sedately some of that efficiency can give you surprising FE returns.
That "test" was a joke, admitted by Clarkson himself. And your post implies that a Prius has an inefficient engine. You can't expect a grocery-getter to have it's best efficiency at 6000 RPM. A better test would have been to drive both cars at 6000 RPM and then check the FE. All car engines these days are pretty efficient.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:25   #5

My car gives me an average of about 5kmpl. I wonder if I can call it a hyper car
Old 8th June 2011, 14:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
...And your post implies that a Prius has an inefficient engine. You can't expect a grocery-getter to have it's best efficiency at 6000 RPM.
Of course at 6000 rpm the Prius engine will not be fuel efficient. But that is just the point. More often than not, it is not the car which you drive but how you drive it that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
...A better test would have been to drive both cars at 6000 RPM and then check the FE.
How would this be a better test?
Old 8th June 2011, 14:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

the 520d did beat the prius hollow on FE count(sunday times), but that sentirely different, considering its diesel.

Back to the OP:check this out--->all in MPG....shameful, but who cares...
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel Efficiency and Hyper cars-untitled.jpg  

Old 8th June 2011, 17:39   #8
BANNED

thanks for the pic and replies everyone.
I wonder if Mercedes BlueEfficiency will make much of a difference. Or if they will even use it in their Supercars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks