Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2021, 12:56   #1456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
I am planning to fix the toughened glass in balcony railing (home). Could you please suggest, what glass thickness will be suitable?
10 mm minimum for balcony. If you are expecting any heavier load requirements. You can go higher accordingly -15 mm. Take care to have a proper base to fix the glass. If required you can use a double layer depending upon the height and wind factor where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post

How much weight can the typical row house 1st-floor balcony take? I want to get the typical Intex pool for my doggos and possibly me to loaf about in for these summer months.

The size of the balcony is 12ft by 9ft. The pool/tub is 8ft by 5ft externally and 7.5ft by 3.9ft. The amount of water it can take is about 14 inches or just over a foot. So overall volume of water would be about 650-700 liters.
PLease consult a structural engineer who can calculate the per square foot load bearing for the balcony area. Do you have any idea of how the balcony was constructed ? That info would be helpful to draw a conclusion. The size of the balcony seems adequate to hold a approx weight of 820 kgs (700 of water + 30kg dog + 90 kg human) but I’m no expert, better consult one !

Last edited by Sheel : 28th May 2021 at 17:12. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 11:09   #1457
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post

The size of the balcony is 12ft by 9ft. The pool/tub is 8ft by 5ft externally and 7.5ft by 3.9ft. The amount of water it can take is about 14 inches or just over a foot. So overall volume of water would be about 650-700 liters.

This is the item if interested: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
700 liters is 700kg, add the weight of the dog(s) and persons, that can easily go upto 850-900kg.

If the balcony is fully cantilever type then it will flex as load is applied to the extremities. If the flex is minor then it is fine, but if the flex is large (say 15mm or more) them it may give way.

One way to check the load bearing of the balcony is to have at least 10 persons stand on it, preferably at the outer esge, and note the flex. If it is minor then you may have the pool.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 22:26   #1458
BHPian

How do i sound proof my house windows (2bhk rental) in an economic manner?

I cannot stand the constant cacophony of the BMRCL metro train noise and the never ending construction of a home nearby.

I also have a mosquito net stuck with Velcro on the window sills.
Old 27th May 2021, 22:49   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
How do i sound proof my house windows (2bhk rental) in an economic manner?

I cannot stand the constant cacophony of the BMRCL metro train noise and the never ending construction of a home nearby.

I also have a mosquito net stuck with Velcro on the window sills.
UPVC windows will help you achieve your objective. Regular UPVC windows will cut down a majority of that sound. Two wheeler brrrr sound, metro train screeching sound against rails, grinding & cutting machines, etc

If you want to cut down even more sound, there is an option of UPVC double glazing, an air pocket created which works as a noise filter.

Standard thickness of glass will be 5mm. If it’s a full door, which one is likely to walk into, its suggested to use tempered glass.

Fenesta is quite good but expensive at around 1000 rs a square foot including installation.

Mid range brands like Akshara are also good at around 500 - 550 a square foot. Recently I heard that Asahi has also entered the market at 450 per square foot.

There are Korean and Chinese companies products imported also, I’ve seen and heard that they are good also.

Whichever company you select, contact the company first and let them suggest an installer. There are many unprofessional characters in the market. The better the installer, better will be the end result and subsequently your satisfaction.

You will get the option of putting the sliding mosquito mesh of your choice, stainless steel or polyester whichever you want.

Please keep in mind how you will put safety grille if applicable. And windows mounting surface would need to be smooth and finished with putty with a coat of paint or the gaps will look ugly when edges are sealed with sealant.

If you are staying in a rental house you will have to discuss all this with your landlord !

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 27th May 2021 at 22:50.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 17:05   #1460
Senior - BHPian

If sound proofing is the objective, then Fenesta is the only choice. They're just too good. This is the reason they cost double
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
If you want to cut down even more sound, there is an option of UPVC double glazing, an air pocket created which works as a noise filter.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 18:13   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
If sound proofing is the objective, then Fenesta is the only choice. They're just too good. This is the reason they cost double
Went with the recommendations from Amitk26 on this thread and got UPVC windows and grills from Madhu's Industries for our flat in Bangalore. The builder provided aluminium window was of the lowest possible quality and the grill work also was not to our liking. Madhu's guys were awesome in keeping up their commitment for measurements, delivery and installation. The windows are of very good quality and the sound proofing is also very good. For the price that Fenesta was asking for, their reviews were middle ground and some not very favorable as well in Bangalore area. This worked out cheaper, better quality and served our purpose of sound proofing as well. Recently there was borewell work in our neighboring building and the windows ensured at least 80% of the sound was lesser when shut. We could practically experience it and were happy with our choice. You can also look at them as an option.
abhinav.s is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 23:44   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Went with the recommendations from Amitk26 on this thread and got UPVC windows and grills from Madhu's Industries for our flat in Bangalore. Recently there was borewell work in our neighboring building and the windows ensured at least 80% of the sound was lesser when shut. We could practically experience it and were happy with our choice. You can also look at them as an option.
Awesome to know ! Please share some pics, would be useful ! Did they supply & install the grille as well ? What brand of profiles are they using ?
Old 29th May 2021, 02:50   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Guys do you know if parts of the false ceiling sheets can be cut out and patched and then have new cutouts done for lights ?
I'm asking because our thin panel led lights were a total bummer. All of them have had to be removed and refitted after repairs multiple times so the edges of the cutouts on many of them have crumbled and need to be fixed. It's not feasible to redo the entire false ceiling in all the rooms.
There was an option of lining the cutouts with wooden rings but we didn't opt for those at the time thinking that leds rarely require replacement !!

Also any advice on which brand of led thin panel downlights are the most reliable ? If I do get the ceiling patched then fitting new lights would make sense. I'm thinking of Philips or Syska
Old 29th May 2021, 08:15   #1464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Guys do you know if parts of the false ceiling sheets can be cut out and patched and then have new cutouts done for lights ?
I'm asking because our thin panel led lights were a total bummer. All of them have had to be removed and refitted after repairs multiple times so the edges of the cutouts on many of them have crumbled and need to be fixed. It's not feasible to redo the entire false ceiling in all the rooms.
There was an option of lining the cutouts with wooden rings but we didn't opt for those at the time thinking that leds rarely require replacement !!

Also any advice on which brand of led thin panel downlights are the most reliable ? If I do get the ceiling patched then fitting new lights would make sense. I'm thinking of Philips or Syska
You can cut out new holes and patch up the old ones using gypsum sheets and pop, make sure you get the job done by a skilled person. The surface can then be evened out and painted leaving no traces of the patch. As for the lights, get them from a well known seller nearby, as it is in his hands to offer a free replacement for a few years from purchase, any reputed brand of led must serve the purpose.
Old 29th May 2021, 09:59   #1465
BHPian

Quote:

Philips have a high rate of failure in our experience. Their LED tubes have an alarming rate of failure. I had to change 6 out of 10 tubes in one of our houses. There is a company Firefly/Cosmos which gave the best results - one failure in 15 installations. They claim to use Cree/Sen Nikko LED chips and their drive circuits are manufactured locally unlike other Chinese boards. Unfortunately I can't find them listed in any ecommerce stores this year.
Old 29th May 2021, 10:08   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
False ceilings can be repaired, be it gypsum or POP. The problem lies in paint mismatch. After the repair, if possible get the whole ceiling painted if celing is single coloured and if it is dual coloured then repaint only that colour.

Lumens per watt should be near about 10, e.g- a 5W led should have a lumen of 500, so go for whichever is closer to that lumen. Osram should be the preferred choice.
Old 29th May 2021, 10:23   #1467
BHPian

Yes false ceiling can be repaired, go for a recommended person to ensure proper worksmanship. You will need to use plastic sheets to mask items around the rooms.

Usually ceilings are painted completely after any repair work as that works out cheaper in long run and will be more cost effective.

Osram in my experience has better performance than Philips. Also lumens per watt performance differs between brands. Osram has a good CRI rating, that will show up in the softness of light output on your eyes and ensure your eyes aren’t strained.
Old 29th May 2021, 10:46   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Any feedback on the exposed concrete finish, which is getting popular both in interiors and exteriors? Is this cost effective and easy to maintain?
Old 29th May 2021, 21:56   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Just wanted to clarify a few things.
1) Obviously will get the full ceiling painted not just the patches.

2) Can I fill up the old light cutouts and then recut the same area for the new lights. I'm ok with cutting out a large area for the patch. For example the light holes are 6 inches across. I don't mind cutting out a 12inch square for a replacement patch and then cutting the new size hole in that for the replacement light. This is what I meant, rather than remove the whole POP ceiling in the room. Light positions can't really be changed more than a few inches due to the wiring.
Is it better to do a 50-50 overlap between the patch and the old ceiling or should I not cross borders and stick within the patch only ?

How are Panasonic leds ? I'm happy with Panasonic products in general. Osram is also a brand to consider. I too have heard mixed feedback on Philips
Old 30th May 2021, 00:59   #1470
BHPian

Hi Guys,

We got hit hard by Cyclone Tauktae here in Goa.
Were without power for 6 days and my 2.3 Kva Invertor with 4 batteries gave up after 36 hours.
I am thinking of investing in a small super silent genset.
Preferably petrol due to lower noise levels so the neighbours won't get disturbed. 5 Kva maximum. Enough to run 1 x 1.5T A.C., a fridge, lights, fans and a water pump. Is anyone here using a similar genset and if so, could you pass on any tips. Pros and cons. Running costs etc.
I have been quoted 1.05L for a 3 Kva Honda portable genset.
2.05L for a 7 Kva Honda portable genset.

Regards,
SS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks