Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2024, 20:41   #2401
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Thank you all for the contributions so far. In the end, what I saw during a quick surf, was very much more expensive than the common syphon tank. I guess that will decide against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I’m not a fan of these concealed flushes
Neither am I! If I was ever involved in a new build, I would absolutely refuse them. I find that almost all modern houses I visit that have such things show faults, such as only the full, not the half, flush actually working.

Tankless toilets are something different. There is no tank, inside or outside the wall, and no plastic innards to reach. There is simply a special valve, which is part of the toilet, which allows a measured amount of flush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker
there is a spring loaded valve that you press to open. Ours was mounted on the wall exactly where a flush tank would be. We had lots of issues with the spring
Was this valve separate to the toilet? I have seen such valves in hotels (so I realise that no-tank toilets are not entirely new to me). I have wondered why they are not used in domestic bathrooms.

Still under consideration, though.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th April 2024 at 20:42.
Old 18th April 2024, 20:53   #2402
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Tankless toilets are something different. There is no tank, inside or outside the wall, and no plastic innards to reach. There is simply a special valve, which is part of the toilet, which allows a measured amount of flush.
After reading your post, I looked up tankless toilet and saw this video to understand the concept, may help if you haven’t already seen this or something similar.

I have seen these in many hotels but hadn’t realised they didn’t have a concealed wall flush!

Last edited by NPV : 18th April 2024 at 20:55.
Old 18th April 2024, 21:01   #2403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you all for the contributions so far. In the end, what I saw during a quick surf, was very much more expensive than the common syphon tank. I guess that will decide against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
After reading your post, I looked up tankless toilet and saw this video to understand the concept, may help if you haven’t already seen this video or something similar.

I have seen these in many hotels but hadn’t realised they didn’t have a concealed wall flush!
My apt has a flush valve and not much issues in the 15 years I am using it. NEeds some maintenance like tightening and spring change after 10 years but nothing major. It uses a valve and air inlet to get the force of water and no tank at all.

The other one is concealed tank inside a ledge wall which many hotels and apts have. I have taken one from Gebrit for my other house as Gebrit is like the Toyota of flushing systems and if you go for concealed tank best to take the best else you will be breaking down tiles if the system fails.
Old 18th April 2024, 23:10   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The generic process I have got to understand with regards to the tiling is as below
Include waterproofing of the floor before laying the new tiles.

Quote:
Tankless Toilets
Does anyone know anything about tankless toilets? It looks like they are expensive: why, aren't they simpler?
Quite common and extensively used. I had just bought a couple of Jaguar flush valve a week ago for my under construction house. It comes with two settings, you press only the outer knob, it flushes lesser water and a full press would flush a larger qty, so you can decide how much water you need to flush and press accordingly.

Even the IT parks uses this very commonly and you could guess how frequently it must be used and still stays without having any issues. Household usage will be very minimal if you compare with those use cases.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 23:43   #2405
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Any words of advice I need to adhere to with regards to the tiling work efforts?
This is the IS standard to be followed for tile installation. Although there might be some revisions, but crux would remain the same.

I remember for larger tiles they install anchor clips at the back of the tile for wall installations.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-img_7651.jpeg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf is.1443.1972.pdf (1.62 MB, 121 views)

Last edited by NomadSK : 18th April 2024 at 23:44.
NomadSK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 09:19   #2406
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And yes, matt tiles were for the walls; floor tiles would be anti-skid only. Should have been more clearer. As for the timelines, have spoken to 3 tiler(s); all 3 of them have given similar estimates (min 15 days to max 3 weeks). So I guess it's probably with respect to the work at hand.
Just a note. We have matt tiles in one of our bathrooms and there are difficult to clean if stained. Needs much more effort compared to glazed tiles.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 16:25   #2407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
We have matt tiles in one of our bathrooms and there are difficult to clean if stained.
I thought of this too. One of the main reasons for tiling walls in bathrooms is that they can stand the steam, condensation+dust, etc. They are a highly durable and easy to clean surface. I too would suggest not to throw away that advantage, even if the aesthetics of matt are preferred.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 14:04   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi_k_b View Post
You can find them, most of them do these things. It's just that you have to closely monitor them and provide them enough time. I trusted my interior guy and realized later that the trust was misplaced. Basics like electrical point shifting were not done correctly.
I don't trust vendor words anymore. Most of the times,their mind work on price and maximizing profit. I have no problems with that but when it comes to design, I expect them to focus on design and later move on to price/profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I am surprised. Most of the bigger interior guys ( including HomeLane and LivSpace ) will have a good designer. Just ask for them. You may have to pay them separately for the services.
Thanks. I was wary of them since my friend was not happy with their work and cost was not justified. But I still reached out to them after seeing your reply. I was assigned a senior designer who has vast experience. I explained my thoughts and conversation was like talking to a machine. She listened to everything I said and gave me templates of their design,none of which remotely matches my need. They are more interested in booking amount,design selection and full payment before work starts onsite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgastyaR View Post
I'm in the same boat as you are. While I'm still looking for one, you can checkout Aantrik Home Interiors. They have some designers who are ready to work with custom end to end interiors
Thank you Agasthya.. You echo my feelings exactly. I'll reach out to them and see how it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Check out the Humble Carpenter team.
Thank you Venkat. I will reach out to them

One general observation that I have experienced so far is that Interior Designers are flooded in the market. But getting a bespoke design is hard.
Old 20th April 2024, 14:19   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Can anyone suggest a DIY solution to waterproof the water tank of a desert cooler? The cooler is made of GI sheet, the bottom tank is a separate piece, and the tank is showing some rusting and may be some small perforations. What would be the best way to coat it with a waterproofing material?

DIY is preferred.
Try this product - Cold galvanizing Zinc spray in Amazin: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B074GZ5DJ5/

I have been using this spray for protecting steel parts outside. You use wire brush to clean the metal surface and then spray this Zinc Spray. Works well.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 09:28   #2410
BHPian

Hello BHPians

My friend is a sole proprietor and has a GST number. He wants to construct an office on his father's vacant plot. Can he use his GST number while purchasing building material and claim input tax credit for buying steel, cement etc.?

Thanks.
Old 24th April 2024, 09:38   #2411
Distinguished - BHPian

You can't claim input tax credit on factory/office (construction of immovable property) building costs. Better to check with a CA.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 20:01   #2412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You can't claim input tax credit on factory/office (construction of immovable property) building costs. Better to check with a CA.
We have claimed successfully on input materials (steel, RMC, labor etc) during the construction of our office and workshop.
nirmaljusdoit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 22:50   #2413
BHPian

Does anyone know the approx rate per running square feet for compound wall construction in Chennai or South India. Normal foundation, Hollow block masonry with plastering & painting or without plastering.
Old 25th April 2024, 00:23   #2414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Does anyone know the approx rate per running square feet for compound wall construction in Chennai or South India. Normal foundation, Hollow block masonry with plastering & painting or without plastering.
Depending on the geography, consider the expense of having plinth beam/belt and pillars in between the walls, if required. That will be some additional expense. Just saying, as we recently built one where we had to get all those included.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 10:18   #2415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tankless Toilets

It seems that they require higher water pressure: we have a pressure pump. If I recall correctly, it is set to 1.5 or 2 bar. Is that enough?

Some kind of valve is there within the the toilet-bowl body. What happens when this goes wrong, or gets clogged? Our water is not clean.
We have one from Jaquar in one of our toilets. You can adjust the amount of water per flush by rotating the flush botton/knob. It is working flawlessly.

Jaquar is what I would recommend. Avoid other brands. Jaquar support is also very good. One phone call and the tech will attend within 24 hrs and sort out any issue.

Jaquar needs a 2 inch inlet pipe directly from the overhead tank and a overhead tank atleast 15 feet above the point where the valve is fixed. Have minimal bends in the dedicated pipeline from the tank to the flush knob . Use long bends instead of elbows in the pipe fittings were needed.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks