Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2023, 08:20   #2311
BHPian

Re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Hi Guys,
Looking for some info on window curtain rods. I know the usual ones that you get are not only complicated but outdated. What is the current trend?. I saw a few in ikea website. While they look good, they are only available in white and black. Is that the trend, or should one go with chrome/metal finish?. Any good place (online/offline) to buy from?
Old 30th September 2023, 21:23   #2312
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Hi Guys,
Looking for some info on window curtain rods. I know the usual ones that you get are not only complicated but outdated. What is the current trend?. I saw a few in ikea website. While they look good, they are only available in white and black. Is that the trend, or should one go with chrome/metal finish?. Any good place (online/offline) to buy from?
The classiest are rails with a pelmet covering the top of the curtains. Exposed rods look cheap.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 22:10   #2313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
The classiest are rails with a pelmet covering the top of the curtains. Exposed rods look cheap.
+1. We are having pelmets in all the homes we have ever lived in since I remember, rented or owned.

While they are timeless and look good, they gather a lot of dust and, therefore, require maintenance.

The homes that I have lived in at the place of my postings have all had curtain rods and while they are plasticky/ cheap looking, they need little cleaning.

I find both to be equally good options for this reason.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 30th September 2023 at 22:36.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 22:20   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Hi Guys,
Looking for some info on window curtain rods.
Try Drapes Avenue, Ramanashree Chambers just off Infantry road or intermediate Ring Road, Domlur
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 22:26   #2315
BHPian

I have been looking for a few design elements, but haven't been able to find anything unique for these.

1. Foyer and Living room separator : A shoe rack to your left as you walk in from the main door; Such a shoe rack would separate the foyer from the living room.

2. Living room and Dining separator: The most common design seen is a separator with fancy floral patterns or something like a jail (vertical bars).

I have hit a roadblock on both of these, despite hiring a good interior person; just not able to find something unique.

Do let me know if you have come across something unique.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 07:30   #2316
BHPian

Hello all, I'm looking for some interior modular cupboards and closets advise.

My apartment is more than a decade old and when we had bought it, we used a cheaper flimsy material interior fitout option due to budget reasons. Now most of them broke at hinge, handles or even some partitions gave away. I want to dismantle the entire thing, and install new better quality interior closets and cupboards.

I have been researching on this and there are several types and grades of plywoods, and even aluminium fitouts nowadays. I'm confused by the number of choices available. How do we go about an informed decision on which to go with?
Old 20th October 2023, 01:13   #2317

Hello Fellow Bhpians

I am about to embark on a house construction journey and have read through the first 30 pages of this thread - before realizing that I really need to post for some references for Architects to kick things off.

So please share any good references of Architects based or willing to work in Hyderabad - it will be a multi generation home in 50X90 plot size.
Thank you!
Old 31st October 2023, 07:59   #2318

Hello All,

We are looking for flooring options and leaning more towards marble. Any recommendations on the shops to get good quality marbles in Bangalore? Places like Jigani is filled with Italian marble and I find it difficult to understand their quality. Are there any specific parameters that one should look for while choosing marbles? Also any good reference of a laying man (honest & knowledgeable) would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 31st October 2023, 09:06   #2319
BHPian

Hindustan Marbles and Granites on Lalbagh road will be your best bet, a bit pricey but quality is guaranteed.
nirmaljusdoit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 09:21   #2320
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgastyaR View Post
Hello All,

We are looking for flooring options and leaning more towards marble. Any recommendations on the shops to get good quality marbles in Bangalore? Places like Jigani is filled with Italian marble and I find it difficult to understand their quality. Are there any specific parameters that one should look for while choosing marbles? Also any good reference of a laying man (honest & knowledgeable) would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bengaluru has cold weather. Marble tends to absorb cold. Think on your decision. You get vitrified tiles or ceramic tiles with big size 4x6ft with various designs. Explore. You can go to kajaria display centre near lalbag/passport office to have a look
HTC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 10:12   #2321
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Hello All,

Krismar on Sarjapur road. Excellent value for money.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 02:26   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Places like Jigani is filled with Italian marble and I find it difficult to understand their quality. Are there any specific parameters that one should look for while choosing marbles?
There us plenty of cheap stuff locally made and sold as Italian. In the long run, weak spots of Italian floors tend to wear off. It is not easy to look for these while fixing as these appear during grinding / polishing. Also it is a softer stone. I would rather go for local and harder flooring.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 12:13   #2323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Marble comes in hundreds of varieties and the price can be as low as 40 per sqf and go as high as 4,000. Clearer the marble costlier it gets. Pure white - Makrana or Italian Carerra will cost a bomb. Similarly larger piueces are costlier, shile smaller ones cheap. The least expensive are small tiles one or even half a square foot.

The Italian marble sold looks good, but is flawed It will crack easily, that is why there is always a backing material at the back.

A good alternative is Imported Turkish Marble. In Delhi it is reasonably priced and comes in large sizes.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 08:39   #2324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are looking for flooring options and leaning more towards marble.
Any particular reason for going with Marble? I am also looking for flooring options and contemplating between Granite or Tiles. In the present situation where there are plethora of options in Tiles with various designs, quality and sizes, what is the significance of choosing Granite? Any thoughts please?

And in Bangalore, is it worth the trip to Jigani or Krishnagiri rather than just looking at the ones within city, like Sarjapur road ones.
Old 2nd November 2023, 10:49   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Any particular reason for going with Marble? I am also looking for flooring options and contemplating between Granite or Tiles. In the present situation where there are plethora of options in Tiles with various designs, quality and sizes, what is the significance of choosing Granite? Any thoughts please?

The USP of stone (Marble, Kota, Granite etc) is that they can be ground and polished in situ. So you get a smooth finish. Tiles rarely give a smooth finish and there are always joints which may act up in future.

Regarding granite, they are not ideal for homes. Though they have a super smooth finish after proper polishing, they are extremely slippery and people are prone to slip and fall (especially elders).

In our house we have terrazo in the ground floor, Kota stone in the rest of the house and Sandstone in the garden. Kota is a pretty hard stone and makes excellent floor indoors, though it weathers outdoors.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks