Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 11:19   #1966
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

We have had perennial problem with moss, algae and trees growing on our terrace. Some one suggested strong insecticide. We spayed it and now all the growth has died and nothing has come up for the last one year.

So
. First kill all the vegetation, other wise it will come back with a vengeance and uproot any tile/paint work.
. Let the area dry in the sun for a few days.
. Spray insecticide before applying any mortar.
. Lay the tiles to cover the open area, make sure the mortar is forced around all the edges.
. Apply a light roller while the mortar is wet to seat the tiles and exclude any air gaps.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 17:11   #1967
BHPian

I am planning to start constructing house in my home town (tier 2 city in Karnataka). The plot size is 30X50 (1500sqft). I intend to construct 2 floors (G+1) with total built area 2000 sqft with one car parking. Both the houses will be initially given on rent and later I plan to move there a few years down the line. Hence planning to have good construction quality without spending much on interiors as of now (would make changes once I move).

What should be my approximate budget for the entire construction? I am getting different figures - a relative of mine is confident I can budget 40 lakhs but others have mentioned close to 60 lakhs.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 20:10   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I am planning to start constructing house in my home town (tier 2 city in Karnataka). The plot size is 30X50 (1500sqft). I intend to construct 2 floors (G+1) with total built area 2000 sqft with one car parking.
Make it 2 car parking space please. I have seen few friends in struggling with their 1 car parking space is 'enough' decision.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 20:22   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
What should be my approximate budget for the entire construction? I am getting different figures - a relative of mine is confident I can budget 40 lakhs but others have mentioned close to 60 lakhs.
With the cost of materials and Labour going through the roof, even Rs 3000/sf is low if you want a furnished house to move into.
Old 10th June 2022, 16:25   #1970
BHPian

Could any of the Bengaluru folks point to where I can get good quality furnishings/decor for sofa cushions, accent chair cushions and other foam cushions? Google gives me some options in JC Road but not sure about them. Any pointers would be very helpful. Thanks in Advance!
Old 10th June 2022, 16:31   #1971
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to start constructing house in my home town (tier 2 city in Karnataka). The plot size is 30X50 (1500sqft). I intend to construct 2 floors (G+1) with total built area 2000 sqft with one car parking. Both the houses will be initially given on rent and later I plan to move there a few years down the line. Hence planning to have good construction quality without spending much on interiors as of now (would make changes once I move).

1 car parking slot is no no even if it is a tier 2 city. Have provision for atleast 2 big car parking space and 2-3 two wheelers parking.

I suggest you leave the entire ground floor for parking(stilt parking) and build the first and the second floor for housing. You can also provision for a lift now and get it installed at a later time when you want.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 18:29   #1972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Could any of the Bengaluru folks point to where I can get good quality furnishings/decor for sofa cushions, accent chair cushions and other foam cushions? Google gives me some options in JC Road but not sure about them. Any pointers would be very helpful. Thanks in Advance!
Srirampura has a big market full of furnishing shops. You can get good collections and the prices are also lesser than the branded shops though you need to bargain.
Everlearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 10:38   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
1 car parking slot is no no even if it is a tier 2 city. Have provision for atleast 2 big car parking space and 2-3 two wheelers parking.

I suggest you leave the entire ground floor for parking(stilt parking) and build the first and the second floor for housing. You can also provision for a lift now and get it installed at a later time when you want.
I second this. Having constructed a house on a 30x40 site, I regretted not leaving the entire ground floor vacant. This could be easily used for multiple vehicle parking, having some plants, and an extra sump to collect rainwater if needed among many other options.
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 11:13   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Please avoid anything Schneider. Fed up of replacing our switches
I second this. Schneider is really poor quality. Also, during a power failure you can't make out of the 15 Amp switches for geysers and acs are on or off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM_PARTHRATHOD View Post
HI There, read your post and i would like to draw you attention that AAC block are very good and one must use them in their construction, They will be a future trend in building the houses of our nation.
Thanks for the info. Few questions.

1. Some posts here say that bricks provide better insulation?
2. Are these the same as hollow bricks?
3. What does aac stand for?
4. If they are hollow, any issue later for drilling holes for carpentry?

Last edited by nidhikapoor : 14th June 2022 at 11:30.
nidhikapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 22:06   #1975
BHPian

OK, did a bit of reading and my friends architect is suggesting CLC blocks over AAC blocks. He said that AAC blocks are not good in rains for outside walls?
Old 14th June 2022, 22:40   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post

1. Some posts here say that bricks provide better insulation?
2. Are these the same as hollow bricks?
3. What does aac stand for?
4. If they are hollow, any issue later for drilling holes for carpentry?
Autoclaved aerated concrete bricks. It is a hollow brick made of concrete with small holes like bread. There are only 2 pros - It weighs lesser than red bricks hence can reduce the load on columns / beams and plastering will be easier as the shape is more uniform than red bricks. However you cannot drive nails or holes and need to careful while doing concealed wiring. Would recommend red bricks for all walls. I constructed my house less than 2 years back. Used AAC for one interior wall to reduce weight as it had a concealed beam underneath and not column / wall. Normally the outside walls will measure 9 inches which means double brick / concrete blocks and interior walls will be 4.5 inches for which AAC maybe used if there are no other options.

Last edited by prabhu7944 : 14th June 2022 at 22:47.
prabhu7944 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 15:46   #1977
BHPian

Re: The Property / Real Estate Thread

Hello all!

I am in the process of doing my due diligence in order to construct my house in NCR. I have no prior experience in constructing a residential property. I have reached out to a few architects and contractors in NCR region.

It will be helpful if BHPians can pitch in with the top things I should keep in mind while constructing my house.

Thanks! I look forward to reading your comments/suggestions.
Old 15th June 2022, 22:57   #1978
One
BHPian

Re: The Property / Real Estate Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post

It will be helpful if BHPians can pitch in with the top things I should keep in mind while constructing my house.

Thanks! I look forward to reading your comments/suggestions.
Quote:
I am planning to start constructing house in my home town (tier 2 city in Karnataka).

Typically the architect is your go to person for ensuring quality control, maintaining delivery timelines and generally keeping a check on the contractor. Their charges could be anything but medium priced (and competent) ones charge on following modes:
1. On a percentage basis which could be 5-10% of total cost
2. On a per square foot basis which could be 250-500 psf
3. Some charge based on their time, a flat fee.

Construction cost for a good enough home (for me) a few months back was in the range of Rs.1800-2100 psf but that has now increased to around 2000-2500 per square feet. This is how much a contractor will charge.

Some folks do away with the need of an architect and the contractor will have architects who for some money (much lesser than the architect fees mentioned above) will create the plans which are needed to be approved for construction. Here, finding the right contractor is paramount.

1. One key aspect is to get a detailed cost breakup for anything planned along with the estimated cost of the material. For example:

- Cost to Tile the house including all material: Rs.140 psf (₹70 tile)

A breakup like that will ensure you know exactly what the costs are and how they can increase if you make different choices.

2. Don't assume anything. If there is work not mentioned in breakdown, don't assume it is considered. E.g. "cost for Boundary wall" or "cost for landscaping" if not mentioned, don't assume it is included by the contractor. I know this part is tricky because we are not the experts so we won't know what we are missing but this is where disagreements with contractors happen the most (keeping an architect does away with this difference but there's a cost associated which personally I am fine paying)

3. Based on land surface type, you might want to have a borewell if water is available.

4. Also a storage tank underground connected to your overhead tank based on water situation in your area.

Are there any specific queries you have in mind? All the best for your construction.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th June 2022 at 14:19. Reason: As requested
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 11:20   #1979
BHPian

Friends

I have recently started construction of my House. It will be a 3 story building with each floor consisting of 2000 Square Feet. Ground floor will be full parking (2000 SFT) and I want to construct a small Garage kind of a room where I can keep Vehicle Maintenance Tools etc. There is a Lift as well. Few details below

1. Lift Pit Size is 5.9 Feet square Block. Lift entrance will be on a raised platform.
2. 24 Pillars in total all using 16mm Iron Bars. There will be concealed beams of 16mm bars for additional stability.
3. There will be 2 Water Sumps towards NW corner. Site is a North East facing once.

7 feet X 20 Pits have been dug up for Pillar/Foundation and the Pillars have been installed with concrete till 2 feet. The remaining 5Feet spacr in the pits have been covered by the same soil that was dug up.
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-20220625_111101.jpg

What precautions/options do I take at this stage. The Ground Floor Bed will be built early next week. Anything specific to remember?

I will need time to go through the pages of this post so need immediate suggestions.

Last edited by dsuman : 25th June 2022 at 11:20. Reason: Formatting
Old 25th June 2022, 11:55   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post
What precautions/options do I take at this stage. The Ground Floor Bed will be built early next week. Anything specific to remember?

I will need time to go through the pages of this post so need immediate suggestions.
The first thing to do is flood your site with water so that the filled soil settles. You might need several tanker loads over a few days. Don't rely on the contractor saying he will compact manually.

If you have a termite problem, do pest control before the contractor lays the PCC bed for your car park.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks