Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2022, 21:14   #1936
BANNED

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Also, how long can I leave it unpainted? I have some more repairs to be done in the home over a few months & I want to do all painting at the end. Will there be any issues with the plaster if I leave it unpainted for some time.
Does anyone have any idea about the above questions.

Also another question.

My flat is on the ground floor. So there is water seepage from below to the walls. This is why I have tiled the walls up to around 2 feet from the floor. But over time the seepage has gone above the tiles & started affecting the untiled portion of the walls. What is the best type of waterproofing which works for seepage?
Old 4th April 2022, 10:12   #1937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is this 'FOSROC Brushbond' prerequisite for 2 coats of the 'Damp Proof Advanced'?

I need to paint my cement concrete slope roof, which was covered by brick tiles earlier. Had to remove them as falling coconuts used to break them.

What is the difference between 'Damp Proof' and 'Damp Proof Advanced'?
How is 'Damp Proof Advanced' holding up during rains? Does it get affected by foot traffic?

Please advise.
Adding 2 coats damp proof advanced will help in longevity of the coating, it will also help give you a thick finish.

I am not entirely sure about the difference between damp proof and advanced, but one costs a little lesser than the other.

I had the coating done with FOSROC & Damp Proof advanced on my newly built terrace and stair case last September, its been holding really well, no chipping of paint or anything. My painter goofed up though, he added a lighter color mixture than required, it gets very dirty with footfall and requires a wash once in couple of weeks, I would suggest you go with brick red color mixture or cement color to avoid dirt to be visible.

With FOSROC applied

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-fosrco.jpg

With Damp Proof Advanced applied

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-damp-proof.jpg

Last edited by FURY_44 : 4th April 2022 at 10:20.
FURY_44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 08:55   #1938
BHPian

Quote:

Also another question.

My flat is on the ground floor. So there is water seepage from below to the walls. This is why I have tiled the walls up to around 2 feet from the floor. But over time the seepage has gone above the tiles & started affecting the untiled portion of the walls. What is the best type of waterproofing which works for seepage?
Hi,

Can you advise if ceiling plaster is Gypsum or some other material? If its gypsum and polymer (Bondit) has been applied then you can paint it later on as well.
Old 8th April 2022, 10:17   #1939
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh_kumar View Post
Hi,

Can you advise if ceiling plaster is Gypsum or some other material? If its gypsum and polymer (Bondit) has been applied then you can paint it later on as well.
They said they put Polymer on the metal rods which had rusted & was bending (which was the reason I had to replaster it in the first place). I am not sure about Gypsum, I will check. Before starting the work, they stored bags of Cement & also what they called Rethi.

If there is no Gypsum, how long can I wait to paint & what would happen with delay?
Old 8th April 2022, 10:36   #1940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also another question.

1) For painting, you can apply primer now if you want (DIY)

2) Seepage:- Two possible reasons - through tile gaps or issue in the plumbing. Tile gap can be filled (again simple DIY). If it is a plumbing issue, you need to remove the tiles and fix the plumbing first.
Is it just bathroom or whole house?

Last edited by Latheesh : 8th April 2022 at 10:38.
Old 8th April 2022, 10:39   #1941
BHPian

Quote:

Also another question.

You most likely have seepage from ground water that moves up the wall due to capillary action. You will need to consult a waterproofing expert to determine best course of action.
Old 8th April 2022, 10:44   #1942
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
1) For painting, you can apply primer now if you want (DIY)
How soon do I need to apply primer or paint? What would happen if I delayed it?

Quote:
2) Seepage:- Two possible reasons - through tile gaps or issue in the plumbing. Tile gap can be filled (again simple DIY). If it is a plumbing issue, you need to remove the tiles and fix the plumbing first.
Is it just bathroom or whole house?
It's ground water seepage - it's not a problem with tiles or plumbing. What is the best solution for ground water seepage?
Old 8th April 2022, 10:58   #1943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How soon do I need to apply primer or paint? What would happen if I delayed it?
I don't think there is an issue if you delay it.

Quote:
It's ground water seepage - it's not a problem with tiles or plumbing. What is the best solution for ground water seepage?
It is a big issue in my house. I tried following:
1) Dr.Fixit damp guard/proof :- It was ok for few months but problem started again after an year.
2) Cut the plastering out (50 cm above tile skirt both interior and exterior) and re-plastered. It was ok for few years but I can see the issue happening again at some places.

I did search online and found that drilling holes around the house and filling mineralizer to act as a barrier is the solution, but have not come across a vendor who is knowledgeable in this area yet.

Edit: added pic for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-1649395904227.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 8th April 2022 at 11:16.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 11:47   #1944
BANNED

Quote:
I don't think there is an issue if you delay it]
thanks
Quote:
I did search online and found that drilling holes around the house
I am in a flat, so I am not sure that's possible
Old 8th April 2022, 12:42   #1945
Senior - BHPian

Seepage creeping up is due to capillary action. Your only permanent solution is to water proof the foundation walls :

. Get a water proofing expert to evaluate the seepage.
. For water proofing you have to inject water proofing compound at 1m grid, starting at the floor-wall line and going up to 2m up.
. If possible do the same for the floor.

If there is a basement then you have to get the basement walls also treated similarly.

I have worked with builders for a few years and seen hundreds of houses with water seepage issues, and always the 1m grid injection of chemicals was the only thing that worked. All other methods fail - re-plastering, covering walls with tiles, spraying compound on the walls etc. The reason is :

. All walls (even concrete ones) develop a series of micro-cracks in them.
. Water starts seeping due to ground water pressure.
. Water will always find a path to propagate. That is why you see seepage suddenly appearing - that is where the path an opening.
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 12:57   #1946
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Get a water proofing expert to evaluate the seepage.
How do I find a waterproofing expert?
Quote:
For water proofing you have to inject water proofing compound at 1m grid, starting at the floor-wall line and going up to 2m up.
Up to 2 feet height of the wall is tiled - so would this still be possible?
Quote:
If possible do the same for the floor.
Can it be injected through the floor tiles or will the floor tiles have to be removed?
Quote:
If there is a basement
No, it's a flat in Bombay - so no basement.
Quote:
the 1m grid injection of chemicals
What chemical is recommended - can you recommend a brand & product name?
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 09:32   #1947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do I find a waterproofing expert?

Can it be injected through the floor tiles or will the floor tiles have to be removed?

No, it's a flat in Bombay - so no basement.

What chemical is recommended - can you recommend a brand & product name?
1. You have to drill through the tiles.
2. It can be injected through floor tiles.
4. You have to search the net. Dr. Fixit and other companies have execution department for this sort of job. Here in Delhi there are quite a few agencies who do it.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 20:58   #1948
BHPian

Dear FM's, planning for interiors of a 3BHK flat in Bangalore on a medium budget upto 8-9l. Any recommendations basis your personal or Friends and Family experience will help me zero in on a firm. Looking for good product quality and long terms assurance. Thanks in advance.
Old 18th April 2022, 07:15   #1949
BHPian

Quote:

Affixing Tiles on walls with moisture issue is a bad idea.
If walls are picking moisture from ground, it (moisture) rises upwards due to porous bricks and sand-cement plaster (capillary action). As it rises upwards, it evaporates at the surface of walls till an equilibrium between rate of moisture absorption and evaporation is attained. So you will find mostly the line / level of moisture on walls, fairly constant.
Fixing Tiles on the wall prevents evaporation of moisture and this equilibrium is disturbed. Now the moisture rises up to the line of Tiles and starts evaporation.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 18th April 2022 at 07:16.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 11:32   #1950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyS View Post
Dear FM's, planning for interiors of a 3BHK flat in Bangalore on a medium budget upto 8-9l. Any recommendations basis your personal or Friends and Family experience will help me zero in on a firm. Looking for good product quality and long terms assurance. Thanks in advance.
Way too many Architects/Contractors in Social Media these days and the workmanship is good. Please also list out what all needs to be done.
For good quality lasting 10-15 years easily,
Kitchen can cost between 3-5 lakhs
Each Wardrobe can cost you 1.2-1.5 lakhs
Other items like TV Units, Shoe Rack, Display Units, Crockery Cabinets, etc can cost you 1-1.5lakhs in total.

These Social Media Architects take extra time and project can get delayed by a month or two depending on their other projects as well and they generally hand it over to sub-contractors known to them. So best to get hold of an individual sub-contractor who can get things done quickly.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks