Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2022, 11:53   #1831
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

My in laws are in the process of finalizing construction of a house ( 2000ft G + 1) in Kanyakumari.

Have been hearing mixed reviews for use of AAC blocks instead of traditional red bricks.

Would like to hear from anyone who have had some experience in this aspect

Also, any pointers for use of interlock bricks will be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 10th January 2022, 11:23   #1832
BHPian

Planning on installing new electrical fittings in our old house. Need to know which company and model range has best quality stuff that can last a lifetime. Leaning towards Norisys because of their use of Bakelite in the fittings. I've faced arcing and burning issues at one or two points in my house so that is one of the reasons where Bakelite will help. Also considering Legrand Myrius and Schneider Zencelo and Schneider Unica Pure fittings
Old 10th January 2022, 12:39   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Have been hearing mixed reviews for use of AAC blocks instead of traditional red bricks.
These are really good and a worthy alternative to the traditional red bricks. Saves lot of time, labour and material. One ACC brick is equal to 8 standard sized red bricks. Works out cheaper too. Unlike the hollow bricks these don't crumble easily and is easier for plastering too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Also considering Legrand Myrius and Schneider Zencelo and Schneider Unica Pure fittings
Legrand Myrius is a safe bet. I have them installed at my home.They have soft tactile feedback and good for operation.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 12:44   #1834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Planning on installing new electrical fittings in our old house. Need to know which company and model range has best quality stuff that can last a lifetime. Leaning towards Norisys because of their use of Bakelite in the fittings. I've faced arcing and burning issues at one or two points in my house so that is one of the reasons where Bakelite will help. Also considering Legrand Myrius and Schneider Zencelo and Schneider Unica Pure fittings
We have Legrand Myrius and I would rate them 7/10. My neighbor has the Schneider switches(dunno the model) and I would rate them 8.5/10.

Quote:
My in laws are in the process of finalizing construction of a house ( 2000ft G + 1) in Kanyakumari.

Thanks in advance
Red Bricks are better insulator against heat than the concrete blocks. Apart from this, not much difference.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th January 2022 at 13:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged. As requested.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 00:39   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Please avoid anything Schneider. Fed up of replacing our switches
Quote:
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 00:42   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Please avoid anything Schneider. Fed up of replacing our switches
If you don't mind me asking, which range of Schneider do you have installed and what issues are you facing. I am more concerned about socket quality as that is what I will be buying mostly.
Old 11th January 2022, 00:45   #1837
Senior - BHPian

I dont recall the range, but the switches are replaced quite often. They're expensive at Rs 400 a piece.
Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, which range of Schneider do you have installed and what issues are you facing. I am more concerned about socket quality as that is what I will be buying mostly.
Old 11th January 2022, 00:54   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
I dont recall the range, but the switches are replaced quite often. They're expensive at Rs 400 a piece.
At 400 bucks for just switches, they must belong to the top range - Zencelo. Are these flat switches by any chance? Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. I'll keep this in mind.
Old 11th January 2022, 11:42   #1839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have started using Anchor Roma as replacement to 4 decade old switches/sockets, they are quite good and reasonable in cost. Of course I have to replace everything - box, front plate and then modular switches, as the old ones were on a sunmica sheet. But it is worth the effort.

https://lsin.panasonic.com/roma-switches

Regarding other brands, in my experience they are neither better nor worse than Roma, so there is no justification in paying 2-4 times more.

Switch/socket replacements is mainly due to mismatch of the pins in the plug and the socket on one hand and sparking in power switches on the other hand. Please invest in better quality plugs, especially for high power devices like AC, Heaters and Microwaves. Any loose contact will soon ruin both the socket and the plug due to arching.

Last edited by Aroy : 11th January 2022 at 11:46.
Old 11th January 2022, 15:41   #1840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have started using Anchor Roma ...
Have you yet removed a cover from a switch panel for any addition or change? We have this range in the terrace room we built a couple of years ago, then had to make some alterations to add cable TV and ethernet sockets. Unlike the MK modular switches in our house, these covers are flimsy and tight fitting. I have done this stuff with MK units many times, with very few mishaps. The Roma stuff just falls apart. Very much regretting that we have it, but the build was budget-restricted. Very much will never buy again and do not recommend.

I am only an amateur electrician --- but I have taken apart, wired, rewired, many many domestic plugs, sockets, etc. I am careful and reasonably skilled. This stuff should not be difficult anyway!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 16:01   #1841
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The Roma stuff just falls apart.
Roma modules break their mounts just sitting there.

I have replaced a few of the switch plates + switches in our house due to this. LeGrand is an option, but expensive. But this one is good.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 20:03   #1842
BHPian

Roma is worst and Schneider is not worth the amount. You can check the Legrand and Havells too. Havells modulars and Standars are covenient when you want to have the switches in vertical mode. I have them and really comfortable when you have restricted space

saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 20:27   #1843
BHPian

Although I have not tried many, but I feel Roma is not that bad considering its price tag. Removing its cover plate is a bit tricky, but once mastered, it is quite easy. I have been regularly helpng in three large apartments in my house and have never had an issue.
Yes, electricians intentionally leave wires not fully tightened in the Switch or Sockets causing sparks and burn outs. Not many actually draw over current than rated.
I take this post to advise and request all readers to open all their Switch Boards and personally tighten Wires screwed into the Switches / Sockets. For any repairs/works/installations by professional Electricians, please follow up by checking the same.
Old 11th January 2022, 22:44   #1844
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance
If it is a conventional design house ( RCC + Brickwork + Plaster ), go for AAC blocks with eyes closed.
As a contractor, I have been using these extensively in almost all my bungalow projects. They do help in saving the RCC costs ( since density is lesser than that of bricks without compromising on Compressive strength ), Plastering costs ( Machine manufactured / cut blocks - offer a uniform surface across wall ) as well as act as a very good heat insulator.

Only issue with them is wrong marketing by the manufacturers as 'Dry construction technique'. The AAC blocks do require same kind of curing that a normal clay brick would need. IMO, its better to be cured more than the Clay bricks. Also, i do suggest using the chemical mortar that AAC block manufacturer will only be supplying, instead of a normal sand + cement mortar between block. This just ensures a better bonding between the blocks.
hkanitkar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 17:12   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Although I have not tried many, but I feel Roma is not that bad considering its price tag. Removing its cover plate is a bit tricky, but once mastered, it is quite easy. I have been regularly helpng in three large apartments in my house and have never had an issue.
Yes, electricians intentionally leave wires not fully tightened in the Switch or Sockets causing sparks and burn outs. Not many actually draw over current than rated.
I take this post to advise and request all readers to open all their Switch Boards and personally tighten Wires screwed into the Switches / Sockets. For any repairs/works/installations by professional Electricians, please follow up by checking the same.
1. I have opened the Roma plates a few times. They neither broke nor were difficult to prise open. May be the breaks ae due to sloppy installation. You have to be gentle and not just bang them in.

2. Copper wires (and aluminum too), creep with time when tightened under the screw. So they get loose within a few years. Fortunately copper maintains contact even when loose (but aluminum does not). So it is wise to get all the terminal screws tightened periodically - do it while painting. Been doing for the last 50 years.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks