Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 22:36   #1786
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
One of my mom's neighbour (in Villivakkam) is getting his whole building raised-up, by 4 feet, and the work-in-progress is damn impressive...
Thank you! If your mom could enquire the contactor name, that would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
... a water tight door... Googling a bit gave me this link:
https://floodcontrolinternational.in...ood-doors.html
This is very interesting. Not water-tight doors, because if enough water comes in it will enter the house through drains etc. But their range of flood barriers. Have mailed them
Old 7th December 2021, 23:01   #1787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thank you! If your mom could enquire the contactor name, that would be great!
Managed to get some more information. This was a jugaad, the door was obtained from a dismantler of old ships in Gujarat and a local mason installed it. No idea how reliable it is.

Yes, that link has some interesting contraptions, will have to investigate for our apartment complex too, for when water enters via the entry gate for vehicles, into the basement parking lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-img20211207wa0008.jpg  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-img20211207wa0009.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 00:10   #1788
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice jugaad. That's something to be proud of!

It was the Villivakkam lifting contractors in Rocky_Balboa's post that I was seeking. Happy to see your pics anyway

Our jugaad is that the gates have sheets that touch the gateposts, and an overlap. We seal it up further with packed newspaper. Even the bottom of the gate closed against a concrete ridge, and both gates have bolts to the ground. Wouldn't call them waterproof, though.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th December 2021 at 00:14.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 19:49   #1789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
As mentioned earlier, we are building a new house in a small farm house scheme. The total plot is about 5700 sq yards and the house would be about 700 sq yards split on two floors. We are going to build an electric meter cum genset room and a garden store room . We would like numerical electronic locks so that the help and support staff can also access the room without the need for keys. What are the good and reliable brands available in India?
Any one with first hand experience of the following?: Milocks

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-milocksdf02snkeyless-entrydeadboltdoorlock.png
Old 9th December 2021, 20:52   #1790
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Managed to get some more information. This was a jugaad, the door was obtained from a dismantler of old ships in Gujarat and a local mason installed it. No idea how reliable it is.
Sweet mother of lord, that’s a watertight steel door installed in our ships!

That’s super reliable dude (talking from the ship’s point of view). And to a good pressure head too I might add. But I must say, it is only as good as the rest of the steel construction around the door. If they have sealed the bottom of the steel gate perfectly like inserting the entire steel structure in a slot below the earth and pouring concrete, this should hold well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th December 2021 at 20:56.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 22:01   #1791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... if enough water comes in it will enter the house through drains etc.
familiar situation here.

For such, this cannot be an option. You would need to look at either lifting the house itself (Like you asked earlier), or modify the house to use the ground floor as parking. The residence part will have to be on first floor and above. The ground floor should then be made such that there is no connection from there to the sewage systems.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 00:20   #1792
Distinguished - BHPian

We don't get water entering the house in "normal" flood conditions.

In 2015, it was table-top deep. That much water would have come up the floor drains, and, via the septic tank, from the toilets. No amount of door sealing could prevent it.

But the house is lower than the road, so water has to be kept outside the garden. Otherwise, even a small amount in the road would simply flow in.
Old 10th December 2021, 11:35   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We don't get water entering the house in "normal" flood conditions.

In 2015, it was table-top deep. That much water would have come up the floor drains, and, via the septic tank, from the toilets. No amount of door sealing could prevent it.

But the house is lower than the road, so water has to be kept outside the garden. Otherwise, even a small amount in the road would simply flow in.
Your only long term remedy is to raise the house at least 4 feet above the road to cater to
1. Future raising of road level - a fact of life as they just add 10-20cm layer each time, so that in 20 years or so the road will be 1m higher.

2. The floods in future may be worse (going by the statistics and environmental heat up).

Raising the ground level is the best remedy as it is "Static" solution and not dependent on
. Pumps
. Water proof doors
. Any other temporary measure you take

So in long term you will save a lot of money raising the house plinth level by 1m to 1.5m.

As I may have mentioned, just dumping soil may not work as it may get washed away from underneath. So use "Rubble Masonry". It is quite cheap as you will get a lot of construction waste at a nominal price. Mix it with a bit of cement and then compact it. That is the preferred method for foundation in water logged areas.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 14:35   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
True that Grundfos is just the Rolls Royce name in pumps. They are very, very silent and their customer service is excellent. But all the pump companies will offer pressure systems.
i remember that you were looking for a water evacuation solution. Went to an Agriculture fair today in Gandhinagar. Amongst other stuff saw these and remembered you.

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-pump.jpg

edit: We have the Grundfos pressure pump both in our house and in the farm. Excellent service and quite reliable....in spite of the 2000+ TDS water.

Last edited by earthian : 10th December 2021 at 14:38.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:08   #1795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i remember that you were looking for a water evacuation solution. Went to an Agriculture fair today in Gandhinagar. Amongst other stuff saw these and remembered you.
However, the key point is that the road level is higher than that of the site/plot. Even if such a pump is used, where does he throw the water ?
Old 10th December 2021, 15:10   #1796
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Your only long term remedy is to raise the house at least 4 feet above the road ...
I fear that you are right.

Quote:
saw these and remembered you.
We began with a small electric-motor, maybe half hp, then we moved on to a smaller version, 2hp, of the pumps you feature there.

Now we have moved on to 2hp electric submersible, which is greatly more powerful that the same hp petrol engine was.

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-dsc07615s.jpg

This is the new one we bought last month. The previous one is still with us and will go for a service. Power supply is backed up by the generator previously discussed
Old 10th December 2021, 17:29   #1797
Distinguished - BHPian

Missed earlier...
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
However, the key point is that the road level is higher than that of the site/plot. Even if such a pump is used, where does he throw the water ?
He throws it out of the pit (Garden when heavy rain is there) and into the outside street drain. I t doesn't matter that that is higher than our drains: that is what the pump is for.

In 2015, we were keeping water outside the gate, but did not know to put weight on the inside, so the water broke open the gate.
Old 14th December 2021, 17:53   #1798
BHPian

Quote:
It has made us consider all sorts of things. A complete rebuild is unaffordable to us: I don't think that my entire capital would pay half the bill.

Has anybody here any experience of jacking a house up and raising it? Any advice, for against? Any idea of current costs? How to find a skilled company to do it?
I don't know how I missed this quoted reply - Sorry about replying late.

For us, the problem is water seepage from the terrace which leaks thru' the roof and the walls becoming extremely wet. We also have other concerns which makes us think of a rebuild.

For your jacking up the house - my friend did the same to his 20+year old house (Nanganallur) a couple of years back. If you have any specific questions, I can enquire and let you know.

Thanks!

Last edited by callvvijay : 14th December 2021 at 17:56.
callvvijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 21:15   #1799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The guy just gave me a guideline price which is ridiculous.

Like I want to waterproof the street, not one ten-foot gate
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 10:36   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
The guy just gave me a guideline price which is ridiculous.

Like I want to waterproof the street, not one ten-foot gate
Many sites are full of bogus products and images copied from elsewhere. It is possible that they don't have any of the products and services listed. I have experienced this with the Philips Lighting website - none of their dealers will admit that Philips simply does not sell some of the products listed on their Indian section.

I apologize for the inconvenience. And thank you for letting us know.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks