Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:47   #1666
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
This doesn't answer my question
Guilty as charged. Sorry: I failed to look at the pic properly. I'm glad someone else has been more helpful.
Old 22nd September 2021, 22:44   #1667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
One coat of primer is sufficient if you are using Ultima Protek. And two coats of top coat is needed.

Also, Wash the exterior walls with water where the rain water does not hit. These will be covered in dust and needs to be washed off before primer is applied for best bonding.
Indeed. We are going for a single coat of undiluted 'Apex Ultima Protek Base Coat' and 2 coats of 'Apex Ultima Protek Top Coat'.

Yes. Today they cleaned the slope roof with the wire brush and washed it off with plenty of water. Hope they do with same vigour on the side walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
I recently finished painting my newly built house with Ultima Protek, I used Damp Proof Advanced (1 coat) as the exterior primer and 2 coats top coat with Ultima Protek.
Interesting. Do you mean 'Trucare Exterior Wall Primer'?
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 07:53   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Re: Apex Ultima Protek Base Coat OR Trucare Exterior Wall Primer?

Once washed, you need to wait till it dries right! How much time does that take, a day or two?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Tell your painter to take a lumpsum amount for one day of water washing the exterior. 99% of painters just apply paint/primer without cleaning the surface. You need to buy a long enough pipe to cover all the walls that have to be washed. With this extra step the results will be long lasting.
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:18   #1669
BHPian

Need reference to good Interior designers who will not charge a bomb. This is for a 10 year old apartment in Kasturi Nagar, Bengaluru and the work includes relaying tiles for entire apartment, bathroom fittings/plumbing, electrical work, complete modular kitchen, false ceiling and some woodwork.

My interior designer is facing some family emergency and so had to opt out at the last minute. I need someone who can start work as soon as possible. It would be of great help if anyone could please point to or share contacts. Thanks in Advance!
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:44   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Interesting. Do you mean 'Trucare Exterior Wall Primer'?
No, this is the one. Looking at the features between Trucare Exterior Wall Primer and this, I think Damp Proof is much more advanced, I don't know the cost difference though.

Product link: https://www.asianpaints.com/products...f-advance.html

Name:  Screenshot_2.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  30.8 KB

Last edited by FURY_44 : 23rd September 2021 at 09:50.
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:06   #1671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, this is the one. Looking at the features between Trucare Exterior Wall Primer and this, I think Damp Proof is much more advanced, I don't know the cost difference though.

Attachment 2210702
I have this applied on the roof of my house. Apart from basically painting the surface white, I see no real benefit to it. If you are looking for waterproofing solutions, Berger Paints has a better product. They put in some kind of fiber-mesh mat all over the roof, and then apply their product. It is backed by a 7 year warranty. I had this done in my factory and it had been working pretty nicely. No minor leakage anymore, and the obvious cooling effects of a white top.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:24   #1672
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Product link: https://www.asianpaints.com/products...f-advance.html

Attachment 2210702
Just today, the painter is at my home painting the roof. Contemplated between damp proof and damp sheath. Damp sheath is around 200 / litre vs damp sheath is 240 / litre. These are actual shop prices and not MRP which is quite higher.

The damp sheath is a primer and needs a coat of damp proof or other ace/ ultima type over it. That is what the shop guy told me. My painter was clueless about both . He just does what I say, which I why I have hired him for over a decade though.

Oh, I just wanted a white roof and there was no water leakage whatsoever.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 23rd September 2021 at 10:25.
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:36   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I have this applied on the roof of my house. Apart from basically painting the surface white, I see no real benefit to it. If you are looking for waterproofing solutions, Berger Paints has a better product. They put in some kind of fiber-mesh mat all over the roof, and then apply their product. It is backed by a 7 year warranty. I had this done in my factory and it had been working pretty nicely. No minor leakage anymore, and the obvious cooling effects of a white top.
I have applied 2 coats of FOSROC Brushbond RFX on my terrace for waterproofing and finished it off with 2 coats of Damp Proof Advanced, so far it's looking good, will need to review on a long term basis.
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:30   #1674
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Apex Ultima Protek Base Coat OR Trucare Exterior Wall Primer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Once washed, you need to wait till it dries right! How much time does that take, a day or two?
Overnight would be more than sufficient. Unless it rains again at night. Anyway, it takes a full day to wash all the exterior wall with water and wire brush for a G+1 house built on a 1200 sqft plot. For larger houses it will take more days to wash. But washing is a must and must not be skimped at any cost.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 13:07   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
I can see that the designer options in fans with metallic finish and wood finish weigh somewhere between 6-8 kgs. I am looking at Havells Yorker, Orion and Stealthwood as options for a 10 year old apartment. The fans currently in the apartment should weigh between 4-5 kgs. Will the existing fan holders or hooks be able to hold the additional weight sturdy? I have this doubt because they should now give away because of additional weight. Anyone who has faced this or done similar stuff or anyone with experience could please help me with this doubt?
Posted this in the Home Appliance Thread as well. Could anyone help clear my doubts?
Old 26th September 2021, 13:41   #1676
BHPian

Quote:
Posted this in the Home Appliance Thread as well. Could anyone help clear my doubts?
If your apt has fan boxes which are anchored to the RCC roof you should have no issues.

Please check the max speed of the fans before buying. Some of them don't rotate very fast.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 20:41   #1677
BHPian

Want to replace the doors for the entire house and looking at possible options for these. Would want to go with a solid wood door for the front door. I would want to compare prices between teak and other solid wood doors and go with either based on the costs. Which are the best and long lasting options for other room doors and for bathroom doors. Don't want to go for PVC for bathroom doors since they have only fixed colors and won't give the look I have in mind. Any pointers to what to choose for main door, all other room doors and bathroom doors?

Also, could anyone please let me know which areas in Bengaluru/ dealers are known for solid wood doors and other doors and what could be the prices for these?
Old 29th September 2021, 20:45   #1678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which are the best and long lasting options for other room doors and for bathroom doors.
we have plywood doors for the rooms, with some extra beading to make it look like regular wood doors. 18 years on, all are still good.

For doors opening to outside, seasoned wood will be required.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 00:40   #1679
One
BHPian

Quote:
Would want to go with a solid wood door for the front door. I would want to compare prices between teak and other solid wood doors and go with either based on the costs. Which are the best and long lasting options for other room doors and for bathroom doors. Don't want to go for PVC for bathroom doors since they have only fixed colors and won't give the look I have in mind. Any pointers to what to choose for main door, all other room doors and bathroom doors?
Is your front door exposed to elements or is it protected. If it is protected, then your front door doesn't need a different core material from any other internal door.

Room doors: Plywood + Laminate last forever. These days you get precut door boards which saves cost.

Main door: If protected, same as above or replace laminate by veneer to give it a wood look. Much more economical by magnitudes than a complete Solid wood door. Also wooden doors expand and contract a lot, more so in moisture as compared to plywood. While wooden doors will last forever, plywood doors will last longer than any Innova/ Qualis etc.

Bathroom Door: People use ply + laminate on these as well, the secret to these lasting long is reducing water exposure to the edges of the door. What some folks do to avoid water exposure is use doors on the outside part of the bathroom door frame after the granite/ marble sill on the floor. This prevents water exposure on the edges. The huge advantage you get is that it can look like any room door. The only disadvantage is that the door will open on the outside. Sometimes people put a sliding door instead on the outside part to prevent outward opening of the door. There is one other thing which I have tried and it works well. Frame of Aluminum, glass door (just like a window) and then add a hard board from the inside to make the door completely opaque as well as add the decorative effect (hard boards come in different tile like patterns so I just select a pattern with shade similar to my tiles). I have tried two boards as well, one pattern for inside the bathroom and the other pattern for the outside of the door.
Old 30th September 2021, 07:34   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Want to replace the doors for the entire house and looking at possible options for these. Would want to go with a solid wood door for the front door. I would want to compare prices between teak and other solid wood doors and go with either based on the costs. Which are the best and long lasting options for other room doors and for bathroom doors. Don't want to go for PVC for bathroom doors since they have only fixed colors and won't give the look I have in mind. Any pointers to what to choose for main door, all other room doors and bathroom doors?

Also, could anyone please let me know which areas in Bengaluru/ dealers are known for solid wood doors and other doors and what could be the prices for these?
For bathroom doors have a look at FRP doors - simply the best and resistant to water. Looks nearly like wood and many designs are available.
For rooms, as others have suggested, ply doors with veneer looks great. I have these and they look great even after 10 years. They also have retained the polish nicely as they are not exposed to sun. You can get full ready made doors - only, as compared to hardwood, you will not be able to make designs into the wood. Rather, you can use beading and make some designs outside the wood (if you know what I mean).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks