Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 18:55   #1501
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

I have a Bungalow in Kerala in semi urban area, its locked and no one stays there, due to heavy rains and due to accumulation of leaves and other plant debris the moisture seeps down, whenever I go to Kerala, I go and get the terrace cleaned but the moisture is always there and at multiple places, some times there is shortcircuit in the concealed wiring as well.
I am an outsider to Kerala and usually get ripped off by the contractors, looking for some trusted leads in Kollam who can check the seepage and fix it.

Not very keen on having a canopy kind of structure over the top of the house.
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 21:16   #1502
Senior - BHPian

UPVC is better
Almunium profiles create a lot of clattering noise in Bangalore where wind speed is generally quite high And suppose if window size is more or you use heavier glass you will need wheel replacement after every few years. Aluminum is good for only smaller 3x4 or 6x4 windows with thin glass panes.

This is my personal experience with Jindal domal profile Al sliding partition in current flat. I have a 12'x7' and one 12' x4'

Yesterday got all the wheels and one bottom channel 12 feet 3 section replaced (worn out because we didn't get wheels replaced in time) all for 13700/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
I have a long balcony which I am planning to cover with windows to protect from dust and rain.
I am told that we can use Aluminum or uPVC. What are the pros and cons of these?
I did a google search but most results were from a European perspective
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 21:23   #1503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
I have a long balcony which I am planning to cover with windows to protect from dust and rain.
I got a uPVC window setup for our utility balcony. About 11' x 3.5' tall. It was worth it. One side has a foot wide fixed glass unit, but the longer side a 2 channel uPVC (without a mesh net. Maybe should have got the 2.5 channel instead.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 15:54   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hi Fury,
thanks for the contact. Can you also share a pic of how the slag cement looks like ? the crushed also if you can. Thanks.
Hello Condor,

Attached Slag Sand picture for your reference. It's very fine and does not contain any dust particles, this feels just like river sand but without any wastage.

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-whatsapp-image-20210713-3.50.21-pm.jpeg
FURY_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 16:37   #1505
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some advice.

If i plan to buy and put in my bedroom readymade antique style cupboards. But I need lofts. How do I make lofts independent of the cupboard without destroying how the whole room looks? And how do I make these lofts?
Old 13th July 2021, 17:20   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some advice.

If i plan to buy and put in my bedroom readymade antique style cupboards. But I need lofts. How do I make lofts independent of the cupboard without destroying how the whole room looks? And how do I make these lofts?
You can get it done by any carpenter. There are two types of lofts, plywood lofts and the other traditional RCC one ("Sarja" in kannada). I am assuming that your room does not have these traditional Sarjas. So you need to get it done with a carpenter. He would make these to suit your Antique cupboards surface finish.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 17:21   #1507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
You can get it done by any carpenter. There are two types of lofts, plywood lofts and the other traditional RCC one ("Sarja" in kannada). I am assuming that your room does not have these traditional Sarjas. So you need to get it done with a carpenter. He would make these to suit your Antique cupboards surface finish.
Yes, no Sarjas.

So can these plywood lofts hold weight independently? What will be the support below?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 17:24   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, no Sarjas.

So can these plywood lofts hold weight independently? What will be the support below?
Yes they can hold weight to the extent that a ply can support. They are unsupported below but from top and sides through anchor bolts to the walls.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 18:01   #1509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, no Sarjas.

I doubt if they can hold weight independently without any support from bottom. Check with a carpenter first.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 18:57   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Need some advice.

You can get it done by having L-shaped iron supports drilled to the wall and placing the wooden ledge on top. Make sure to balance the number of supports to the length of the ledge. Attach it to the iron brackets through bolts. Be mindful of the weight it can support though.

Something like below but a bigger one. (pic credit : Google)
Name:  Screen Shot 20210713 at 14.26.52.png
Views: 867
Size:  513.1 KB
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 19:17   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
You can get it done by having L-shaped iron supports drilled to the wall and placing the wooden ledge on top. Make sure to balance the number of supports to the length of the ledge. Attach it to the iron brackets through bolts. Be mindful of the weight it can support though.

Something like below but a bigger one. (pic credit : Google)
Attachment 2178707
Good idea. One can also invert the leg and have the vertical hidden behind the loft so that you see less of the metal.

You could also screw the roof of your 'box' loft to the RCC ceiling for extra safety. You will probably have to use ply and some strategically placed 2x4 wood sections for the loft to take leave ad and not to sag as time goes by.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 00:14   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Need some advice.

Yes lofts can be separate, the support will be from the back side sheet which is fixed to the wall. Matching the finish of antique cupboards to loft will be a challenge as both are different concepts. You may look at selecting a good quality matching veneer with teak wood beading and get it polished to match the colour and grain of the antique style cupboards you end up finalising.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 01:40   #1513
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Some people say there will be water seepage thru the window in the long run when rain water accumulates on the window sill when grill is outside. I am not sure if this is true.
Almost all of Bombay has grills outside the window (it is a more recent trend from an aesthetics point to have them inside which is enforced by builders/ societies). Seepage due to grills outside is not something which is thought/ seen to be an issue.

Not clear what is meant by "rain water accumulates on the window sill" but typically the window is on the outer part of the sill with no resting place for stagnant water.
Old 15th July 2021, 09:14   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
As a result, the roof gets too hot throughout the day and it's making room temperature even higher. What could be options to reduce heat to some extent ?
Maybe too late for OP but posting for benefit of others. The cheapest and very effective traditional solution is a layer of limestone solution on roof. Barely 100rs for a 15 20 kg box. Immerse in water for an hour to get a bucketful of solution. Use a mug and broom/wiper or just splash it all over the roof. Can be used on wall if it faces sun all day.
Brings down temperature of rooms below by 5 to 8 degree C.
No special equipments needed. Can be done by yourself within 15 20 minutes.
Downside- may need to be done every season. Though 100 200 INR a year would still workout cheaper. The white layer would soil your soles and roof utility need to be limited. Or you can apply it on only the roof of rooms leaving some areas bare for moving about on roof. Not a very major downside them both.
Entsurgeon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 17:50   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Not clear what is meant by "rain water accumulates on the window sill" but typically the window is on the outer part of the sill with no resting place for stagnant water.
When the grill is fixed outside of the window, the frame of the window aligns with the inner wall. Hence the window sill is on the outside of the window where I was told water could accumulate. Of course this can be avoided by giving a little slope to the window sill so that water flows towards the outside of the window sill.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks