Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2005, 13:52   #16
BHPian

Quote:
i feel if modifying is your main criteria then an esteem would be fine but if you plan to leave it stock which i doubt you do then get a lancer simply for its looks.
Actually the Esteem + mods idea is just a desperate solution if I absolutely cannot afford the Lancer. I need the Lancer, but I'm not going to keep it stock (for too long). I'll add front and rear bumpers, skirts, a nice Evo VI style spoiler, +1/+2 alloys, neons, a few NOS VOS PHOS TOS decals here and there, and .. and that's it. And a sub or two in the boot. But all that comes later, in phases.

- Aalaap
Old 10th November 2005, 13:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
An esteem at 1.25 to 1.5L would be newer, and cheaper to maintain.
1.25L is a good figure. If i can find a good Esteem for 1.25L, I'll be able to pick it up before the end of the year! I'm going to look for Esteems now...

- Aalaap
Old 10th November 2005, 14:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Aalap, in your case, your heart is absolutely on lancer. So forget esteem, go ahead and find a lancer for you. Just make sure that your don't pick up a lemon and end up spending hell lot on maintenance as Shuvc pointed out.
Old 10th November 2005, 14:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan
Well, its possible to buy 7 year Lancer for 2L. At the same time consider the maintenance cost. Yearly maintenance would be crossing Rs 20 to 30k. Would you like to spend this much money on maintenance ?

hey AAlap,

I really wonder if you can get a 45/50 K kms run 99/00 GLXi for upto 2.0 L in Mumbai....i've seen prices for such cars hovering in the range of 2.6-2.75 L.

Have you come across some used lancers going for 2.0 L in mumbai ?

pls do let me know

~A
Old 10th November 2005, 14:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd
hey AAlap,

I really wonder if you can get a 45/50 K kms run 99/00 GLXi for upto 2.0 L in Mumbai....i've seen prices for such cars hovering in the range of 2.6-2.75 L.

Have you come across some used lancers going for 2.0 L in mumbai ?
You got a point there. 4 nos '00 Lancers I have heard of in the past couple of weeks in Kolkata .. all 4 hovering around 3L

Even '00 Balenos are being quoted at 2.8L !!
Old 10th November 2005, 14:16   #21
Team-BHP Support

a well maintained 2000 lancer will not be anything less than 2.5 lakhs, havent seen any below 2.75 actually.
so its going to be a task to find a well kept 99 model for 2 lakhs as well.
one option that i wouldn't really go for but is a good option is the accent, or how about a 1.6 corsa royale or an astra club with all the bells and whistles and adequate power. the parts would definitely be on the higher side but then opels wouldn;t have any attles lke most other cars thanks to their world class build quality.
these are suggestions keeping in mind that you ae not going to use your car a lot as they are going to be heavy on the fuel front.

manson.
Old 10th November 2005, 14:34   #22
BHPian

Rs 20-30 k on maintenance is infact less.

In 7 years the vehicle would have covered easily 70,000 kms. Just see the service manual what are things need to checked/correct at around 70k km. They will give a huge list. A regular Honda city vtec service at 22,500 would be around 12,000 (taken from other tbhp posts) without any spare part change.

So at 70k you need to change a lot and lot. That too Lancer spare parts are very costly.
Spare parts may required change, from brake pads, clutch plate, drive shaft etc. And you need to spend considerable amount of time in workshop.

If owning old vehicle such a easy thing why would ppl sell it first and why would ppl buy a small vehicle like Zen or Santro or Palio for 4.5 lacs.

Everything has it own cost and no one offered free lunch.

regards,
Prasanna
Old 10th November 2005, 18:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

It also depends on what kind of mod ur gonna do. For engine mods, the esteem with the baleno engine should be good enough, but if u want to get the exterior mods...then the only car u should b gettin is the LANCER!!!
Old 10th November 2005, 18:57   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Rs 20-30 k on maintenance is infact less.

In 7 years the vehicle would have covered easily 70,000 kms. Just see the service manual what are things need to checked/correct at around 70k km.
The fact is, we don't know. Unless a Lancer owner on this forum posts his / her actual maintenance costs, everything else is speculation.

Now, I'm a little confused! Are you referring to 20K one-time or 20K a year?

Quote:
If owning old vehicle such a easy thing why would ppl sell it first and why would ppl buy a small vehicle like Zen or Santro or Palio for 4.5 lacs.

Everything has it own cost and no one offered free lunch.

regards,
Prasanna
People sell cars due to different reasons. You and I bought small cars (Palio / Indica) for our own reasons. We may or may not buy a bigger car tomorrow and if we do, we may or may not sell our small cars. But then, we digress.

The point I'm really trying to drive here is we should get the actual maintenance costs even if they are from a single user. That may not be representative of the brand + model but would give an idea.

Everything does come at a cost but we need to know what that cost is. Apologies if you feel I'm picking on this post of yours but I'd really like a Lancer owner to post maintenance costs.
Old 10th November 2005, 19:42   #25
BHPian

hi aalaap
i know your heart is with lancer but its very difficult to find out a good example at 2 L normal pricing for a 99 model starts at around 2.60L
but u can get an opel ASTRA (club) in a very good condition within your budget
or you can think of the type 1 model honda CITY (type 2 rocks but high value)
well if you get a lancer good condition in your budget you know what to do
Old 11th November 2005, 00:08   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I do agree with most that it will be difficult to find a really neat Lancer in 2 L unless its a distress sale. But then again, its not impossible if you have the patience.

But 20 - 30 K a year is hogwash! I had a Lancer for more than a lac kilometers and I used to spend 15 K tops per annum.

GTO
Old 11th November 2005, 01:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

OK Aalap I know many people like you (including me) love the lancer a lot.

But I guess a 2l lancer wont be a good buy unless you put in money at the first place to modify it.

a gli or a glxi well maintained but with a high odo is possible.

I dont know if this works but why dont you go in with a loan on the pre-owned car from Icici or something. You can pay off in some years and still have a good car

about maintainence on the lancer Though I dont have a 5-6 years old car its certainly maintainence free for me uptill now.

here are some lancer models within 2-3 lacs. check them out.

http://www.popularcarbazar.com/listModel.asp?model=42

http://www.popularcarbazar.com/srtSt...bmit=Show+Cars

Last edited by ported_head : 11th November 2005 at 17:10.
Old 11th November 2005, 02:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Aalaap, i feel that u should search for a decent lancer for a budget of 2.5 to 2.75 lacs(u'll have a lot of cars to choose from at this budget). pay around 1.75 to 2 lacs upfront.

Remaining u can pay as 2000-2500 bucks per month installments which i feel wouldnt haggle u much.

Just my suggestion.
Old 11th November 2005, 08:53   #29
BHPian

Thanks GTO for your words. But Rs 20 to 30k is quote I got from auto mechanics here in chennai. Thats the factors which drives us away from buying OHC, instead we are planning for new Getz. Its time to rethink.
Old 11th November 2005, 09:47   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats the factors which drives us away from buying OHC,
Dude, Many Vtec owners on this board have attested that the OHC is cheaper to maintain than a Maruti 800!! Shantanu has even gone as far as scanning and posting his service bills. I spend about 5,000 per year on my 30K kilometer Vtec.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks