Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 19:13   #1
BHPian

Need 2004 Corolla AT replacement - Now what?

Hi Guys,

Okay my DaD decided to sell off his car Toyota Corolla AT 2004, for 3.5Lacs. The car has done hardly 1.25K kms. I tried showing him GTO's thread but then decided against it. I say DAD stands for DO AS DIRECTED. Towe morrow the car is going and we need to make a decision.

The Options - anything 10-14L budget. Shortlisted Cruze, Altis and Innova.
and might be.... CRV - 2nd hand
( few months back I was looking for a car and was almost down to buying a second hand CRV for my wife, thanks to all suggestions and encouragements over here at TBHP, but Fortuner came and spoiled the party.)

We drive 30-40K a year. Once a month short highway run and at least once a year long one (first wek of November, this year we did Delhi-Mumbai-Delhi).

My dad has driver 99.5% of times. This car we plan to keep is for at least another 5-7 years.

1. Innova. Our first preference. Everyone likes Innova in the family. We personally like the V model 7 seater and it's comfortable even than Corolla. The issue is other cars in Family are , Gurkha, Safari and Fortuner slated to be there in January. Might be to certain extent Taxi like image of Innova.

2. Cruze LTZ: Diesel, powerful, good looks, I know some one pretty senior in GM so even discounts would be thrown in and in Jan Auto is being launched. Not sure if in Petrol or Diesel but 2010 Jan Auto is being launched is confirmed. Plus point, we will have a SEDAN in the house.

3. Altis: Because it Corolla - Toyota. And we get to have a Sedan? -ve Petrol - huh!

4. CRV (?) 2.4 AWD - Saw 2006 december CRV registered in 2007, genuine 23K kms for 12.5 lakhs. -ves - Petrol? Before Fortuner killed its prospect earlier I am so so convinced for CRV - but then again it is shaped more like softroader SUV

Though we all are in Favor of Innova, the thought of not having a single Car (sedan) in family is kind of disheartening. Fortuner or Safari would serve any day to serve our family of 4+ 2 kids.
  1. Do not know if Cruze can hold on like Toyota products or the Cruze bubble would burst?
  2. Should we hang on till 2010 to either get 2010 car or to get more discount on 2009 car?
  3. WHICH CAR?
  4. AND The whole process would have been so complicated had it not been the Fortuner angle :( Another thought - cancel Fortuner, buy Cruze and Innova.

PS: I know this whole thing has not been put up properly - yeah goes on to say I am confused.
Old 21st November 2009, 23:16   #2
BHPian

I understand you are inclined towards a sedan, in that case, I would advise you to go for Altis. As you are looking for a life of another 5 to 7 years, Altis is the best bet according to me.
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:59   #3
~~h
BHPian

Level 1: Forget about used cars.
Level 2: Zero in on Toyota's.. both Altis and Innova are great cars and can't go with them.
Level 3: If you are worried of Image factor.. Go for Altis else Innova.

finally take the opinion of Dad who'll be driving it mostly..

All the best with your buying.
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Sonata Transform CRDi?
It is a sedan, comfortable, and is reliable.
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Corrolla Altis - Should be my choice in that budget.

VW Jetta - Diesel.

Last choice would be a Cruze - Does not have the same image as a Toyota.
Old 24th November 2009, 11:01   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
The car has done hardly 1.25K kms. I tried showing him GTO's thread but then decided against it.
Well, if he used it for 1.25 lakh kms, I'd say its a fair time to sell (though I would go on to 1.5 - 2.0 lakhs).

Quote:
We drive 30-40K a year.
Quote:
My dad has driver 99.5% of times. This car we plan to keep is for at least another 5-7 years.
Best chauffeur-driven options in that range:

1. Innova with captain seats : Seriously, superb comfort for the middle row passengers. Indepedent passenger seats with recline adjust and good legroom. Can't go wrong with the captain seat version.

2. Sonata : Sofa of a back seat, excellent diesel engine and the facelift has better interiors.

3. Altis : Good back seat. But if you are going to clock 40,000 kms in a year, its best to stick to diesel.

Choose between the Innova & the Sonata.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:13   #7
BHPian

Are you considering Cedia, Jetta, Laura and Civic too? You can also get a 2nd hand Passat/Teana easily in this budget
Old 30th November 2009, 18:45   #8
BHPian

I love cedia but then he is more inclined towards Toyota.

Jetta & Laura - Were ruled out by me. you know the thing about Skoda, Jetta I never liked the looks. Civic does not has great ground clearance and besides that rear seat is cramped if we compare it to Corolla.

I love Teanna. In fact in Delhi there is one Old model available, which he said wud give for 19L OTR most probably if he has not sold it off we may get good price. Was going to call him up when I got the news is Fortuner I would be getting by Dec. 15. So Most of the funds would be diverted there.

Lets see what decision he takes once he comes back home by end of first week of december.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would rule out Altis simply becuase you have had a Toyota Corolla before. You would be bored even before it came to the house because it even manages to look like the older corolla from the distance.

I would say wait until the auto expo and see what all options do you have. Decide between the Linea 1.4 T-Jet, Innova or the Cruze. If budget permits Jetta Diesel is a very good allrounder.
Old 4th December 2009, 23:43   #10
BHPian

NO body has given any vote to cruze, am surprised.

Will update this thread soon.

BTW 15th Dec. is the date given to me for the Fortuner!
Old 5th December 2009, 08:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
NO body has given any vote to cruze, am surprised.

Will update this thread soon.

BTW 15th Dec. is the date given to me for the Fortuner!
No one recommended Cruze for your dad as car will be chauffer driven and rear seat comfort of cruze is nothing to talk about
Old 5th December 2009, 08:40   #12
BHPian

Offtopic -- Rhandle -- i would love to buy your Corolla AT -- only catch is I am at Pune.
Old 7th December 2009, 13:50   #13
BHPian

^^^ Sorry Bro, it's going today, otherwise I would have driven it till Pune gladly to deliver it. Dad is flying out tomorrow to Mumbai, so a week he would be holding on to my Safari. No discounts on Cruze even with year end :(

I am checking out Innova if they give us good discount we would take Innova or would wait till 2010 - hardly any days remaining.
Old 8th December 2009, 14:29   #14
BHPian

OK Corolla Gone - and I have been given the cash in hand to decide.

Three picks till now

Innova -V - top end - 7 seater.

Cruze -

Civic- AT old model (not face-lifted) - 13.7 L on the road has been offered by Prime Honda. A discount of almost 70 thousand.

Innova getting a discount of upto 50K if we buy now.

Cruze yet to get a quote with discount but again have a contact at high level in GM so can get good discount. Also heard that in Jan A/T is coming.

NOW WHAT?

PS: Personally I am thinking the way GTO is!
Old 8th December 2009, 18:49   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Space is an issue with Cruze, compared to Civic and Corolla the Cruze feels very tight. The space is in class of cars a segment below. I found the cheaper Magnum a lot more roomier than Cruze.

Innova has good seating and space but overall ride is not as good as low slung sedans, the ride wont be as flat and consistent as a Sedan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks